ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates facing pressure to change name

KC Chiefs and Atlanta Braves next, or at least they should be if we are taking things to this extent.

Yankees and Patriots shouldn’t feel all that comfortable either.

In a written statement, a representative from the Somalian Pirates said the Pittsburgh baseball team’s association to them is “offensive to pirates everywhere.”

I'm sure the OP was being facetious, but if this was a real issue and their knowledge of the Pittsburgh Pirates was confined solely to the past 30 years, I would totally understand.the feeling of offense.

For the people decrying the evils of “political correctness,” especially in the sports world, would you please explain to me how the Colin Kaepernick saga, and his being blackballed from his profession, was anything other than political correctness?

There’s 2059 different bird species in North America. Since there’s many MLB teams with bird names why not give each team a bird name to be sure to not offend anyone.

It wasn’t political correctness, it was strictly business. The league and teams we’re losing $$$$ because fans disapproved and not watching football.
Except they weren’t

redskins are losing sponsors hence their name Is bad for business
Which shouldn’t be surprising as dan Snyder has done plenty of damage to his franchise

What about the Pitt Panthers? If we're being inclusive, maybe they should be called the Pitt Black Panthers. This is getting really stupid and infantile. But expected from the political correctness bozos.

Reactions: W1np1tt
What about the Pitt Panthers? If we're being inclusive, maybe they should be called the Pitt Black Panthers. This is getting really stupid and infantile. But expected from the political correctness bozos.
If changing the name to Black Panthers would lead to better recruits, then I’m all for it.

It's a nickname for a sports team. At the end of the day, who cares? If someone won't root for the Washington NFL team because they change their nickname to the RedTails (or whatever else they pick) then that is one sad, pathetic person.

Is it really that big of a deal to not want your favorite sports teams nickname to offend people?

Except they weren’t

redskins are losing sponsors hence their name Is bad for business
Which shouldn’t be surprising as dan Snyder has done plenty of damage to his franchise

I can assure you from first hand knowledge, the Steelers lost BIG money on merchandise sales during the Kapernick ordeal. To suggest that there was no economic impact on NFL teams is either A) a person's insistence on injecting their political views with no ability to concede on issues or B) plain outright ignorance and stupidity.

In your case, the coin is still in the air.

I can assure you from first hand knowledge, the Steelers lost BIG money on merchandise sales during the Kapernick ordeal. To suggest that there was no economic impact on NFL teams is either A) a person's insistence on injecting their political views with no ability to concede on issues or B) plain outright ignorance and stupidity.

In your case, the coin is still in the air.
Revenue grew every year
Kaep took a knee in 2016
Revenue steadily climbed every year since just like before
Same with Steelers- in fact it’s silly to think otherwise
In fact
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/18/steelers-nfl-jersey-sales-2019-2020/amp/

Trump pointed to ratings - which dipped
They likewise dipped in nascar , and the nhl without any protest .
Who grew? The most politically outspoken athletes and coaches in the nba
Weird

Last edited:
Wish the Somali Pirates would insist on an ownership change instead of a name change! That I could go for.
Here is an idea. We fly them over drive them to the Nutting property and let them loose. If it doesn’t work out they can come to DC and become taxi drivers or move to Minnesota and become a HR. It is a win win for everyone.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Revenue grew every year
Kaep took a knee in 2016
Revenue steadily climbed every year since just like before
Same with Steelers- in fact it’s silly to think otherwise
In fact
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/18/steelers-nfl-jersey-sales-2019-2020/amp/

Trump pointed to ratings - which dipped
They likewise dipped in nascar , and the nhl without any protest .
Who grew? The most politically outspoken athletes and coaches in the nba
Weird

Right on que....Danny shows up with Fake news.

The same type of Fake news that fools like Danny rail against almost daily.

The steelers lost merch $$$ in the season including and subsequent to Kap taking a knee.

The article you attached does absolutely nothing to refute that.

On this issue Danny, I am dialed in. And it's ok to be wrong every now and then.

Make sure your woke son doesnt blow his hand off tonight.

Happy 4th

Does anyone on this board feel offended by the name “Redskin”? Again it’s a nickname for a sports team.
I’ve never been or felt threatened by an inanimate object either.
Maybe I’m out of the loop, but history is what it is....History.....In the past...done, over. Finished

No it isnt. Sports teams should not be named after indigineous people whose land we stole through genocide. There's plenty of team name options besides these. Indigineous peoples should not be mascots. How anyone could think otherwise proves how stupid you are.

Right on que....Danny shows up with Fake news.

The same type of Fake news that fools like Danny rail against almost daily.

The steelers lost merch $$$ in the season including and subsequent to Kap taking a knee.

The article you attached does absolutely nothing to refute that.

On this issue Danny, I am dialed in. And it's ok to be wrong every now and then.

Make sure your woke son doesnt blow his hand off tonight.

Happy 4th
So dialed in ya proves no supporting evidence .

For the people decrying the evils of “political correctness,” especially in the sports world, would you please explain to me how the Colin Kaepernick saga, and his being blackballed from his profession, was anything other than political correctness?
He wasn’t blackballed or the victim of a conspiracy. At the end of his last year, he was a back-up, and he wasn’t that good. Nobody wants a mediocre back-up QB that causes any kind of controversy.

Does anyone on this board feel offended by the name “Redskin”? Again it’s a nickname for a sports team.
Maybe I’m out of the loop, but history is what it is....History.....In the past...done, over. Finished

Do you seriously not understand why people would find the name "Redskins" offensive?

Seriously?

As a person of Irish descent, I am offended by the name Fighting Irish.

Reactions: pbrad
As a person of Irish descent, I am offended by the name Fighting Irish.

I had always found that nickname curious, because the university's name is French and it can trace its origins to a religious order based in France. But it appears that the nickname isn't based in anything derogatory toward Irish people. (Besides, most people would find "Fighting French" laughable.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish

Perfect solution to keeping the Redskins name and taking the Indigenous population out of it..

mascot is now a Redskin Potato.
RedPotatoes10207.jpg

Hail to the Redskins! (potato!) Hail Victory! Spuds on the Warpath! . Fight for ol DC!

Win/win. Could make a Red Mr Potatohead as mascot and have him race the Peirogi from the 50 yard line.

Last edited:
Totally ridiculous and some people are just too damn sensitive in this world. They are not happy with themselves unless they're causing some kinda trouble. Smh

Too sensitive...yet you're complaining about a baseball/football team maybe changing their name.

Redskin is a RACIAL SLUR, why is that so hard to understand. No one wants to change history, they just want to change the name of a football team.

Redskin is a RACIAL SLUR, why is that so hard to understand. No one wants to change history, they just want to change the name of a football team.

Even these little phrases like changing history or burying history are overstated. There are always looms on every side so I won’t say it doesn’t exist. But most people in favor of name changes or removing statues are in favor of not celebrating these things. Teach the history good or bad? Always. But names like redskins and things like the confederacy (IMO) shouldn’t be memorialized or celebrated.

Reactions: TempleBAPittMPA
I’m probably older than most. Watch any 60’s western, and the term red skin and paleface was commonly used. The theme to F Troop had those 2 words in its theme. If it offends people, I can understand. But we never thought anything of it when we were kids. I’m Hungarian. Call me a dumb Hunky. It’s a derogatory word, but I’m just not that sensitive.

My 40 year old son in law and I just watched Blazing Saddles. He is an investigative reporter. Said that they cut 7 minutes from the movie. He had never seen it. Lots of derogatory verbiage, but in a satirical term, the Afro Americans, actually kept out smarting the cowboy. It is still very funny.

It wasn’t political correctness, it was strictly business. The league and teams we’re losing $$$$ because fans disapproved and not watching football.

That’s exactly what’s happening right now with the Redskins.

FedEx, which was being pressured internally and externally by its investors, went to the Redskins and asked them to change the name.

Nike followed suit and PepsiCo, the team’s third largest financial supporter, was reportedly also getting ready to issue an official request for the team to change the name.

Why? Because it’s bad business to alienate consumers, that’s why.

Their business partners and customers are speaking loud and clear on this issue.

Naturally, people are decrying this decision as political correctness run amok but it’s the exact same dynamic as the Kaepernick dynamic.

Kaepernick decided to make a political statement — which was his absolute right. However, there are always repercussions for those types of decisions as he soon learned.

The people on the right decided that his social views did not align with theirs so they demonized him and eventually they systematically blackballed him.

They just won’t refer to it as “political correctness“ because in their minds, that door can only ever swing one way. However, that’s not true. We are talking about human behaviors and those are never limited to one political ideology or another.

Both sides are equally as guilty of political correctness, it’s just that the people on the right are just fine Political Correctness as long as it aligns with their beliefs.

It’s kind of like how they always piss and moan about how actors and entertainers are empty headed morons who should keep their political views to themselves, but their favorite former president was a former actor and the current president is a former gameshow host.

You see, rules are for the other side.

It is the same with “virtue signaling,” their new catchphrase du jour. When someone tells you how patriotic they are or how much they love God, what are they doing if not signaling their virtue?

“I served in Afghanistan and my family were soldiers and I believe in standing for the flag and going to church and ending the war on Christmas and blah, blah, blah.”

What is all of that if not virtue signaling, as defined by the same conservatives who regularly perpetuate it?

The whole argument is bullshit.

Everyone is fine with politics in their sports and entertainment and whatever else, as long as it aligns with their politics. When it doesn’t align with their politics or social views, that’s when it becomes a problem. At that point, it is political correctness run amok.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT