ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt 2023 Opponent Softens OOC Schedule

poconopanther

Redshirt
Jul 5, 2001
The UC Bearcats reportedly will drop NC State (according to a report on FBS Schedules) and replace them with Marshall. Cinncy who will join the Big 12 next year will also play Pitt , Eastern Kentucky and Miami of Ohio . NC StTe will now have a replacement opponent to go along with games against NDame, VMI and UConn.I think this is smart re Scheduling by both teams as they realized that the schedules made years ago has now been softened. We talked ad nauseam on this board about the proper balance in scheduling out of conference. Our2023 ooc is tentatively set to now include three power five teams in ND, Cinncy and at WVU in a year we are gonna have to replace a QB, and a number of lineman on both sides of the ball. I hope Heather is at work trying to eas the schedule although Cinncy is a home game by placing it later in the decade. Obliviously the ND and WVU games will stay as well they should. Thoughts ?

Reactions: Panther_in_Kentucky
The UC Bearcats reportedly will drop NC State (according to a report on FBS Schedules) and replace them with Marshall. Cinncy who will join the Big 12 next year will also play Pitt , Eastern Kentucky and Miami of Ohio . NC StTe will now have a replacement opponent to go along with games against NDame, VMI and UConn.I think this is smart re Scheduling by both teams as they realized that the schedules made years ago has now been softened. We talked ad nauseam on this board about the proper balance in scheduling out of conference. Our2023 ooc is tentatively set to now include three power five teams in ND, Cinncy and at WVU in a year we are gonna have to replace a QB, and a number of lineman on both sides of the ball. I hope Heather is at work trying to eas the schedule although Cinncy is a home game by placing it later in the decade. Obliviously the ND and WVU games will stay as well they should. Thoughts ?
If we want to gain respect, don’t replace Cincy, beat their ass!

We're replacing a QB next year? I hope Slovis is THAT good this season.

We're replacing a QB next year? I hope Slovis is THAT good this season.
I think we're all just under the impression that Slovis is only playing 1 year here. Obviously, he has another year (pretty sure at least) but I feel like we've all painted this picture that he will only be playing here this year before going pro. At least I have

Schedule may be difficult, but what’s the point is running away from tough competition? Probably be a “retooling” year with 7-8 wins hopefully. It happens.

Reactions: MikeatUPITT5
I think we're all just under the impression that Slovis is only playing 1 year here. Obviously, he has another year (pretty sure at least) but I feel like we've all painted this picture that he will only be playing here this year before going pro. At least I have
Most likely the case, for sure.

Pitt absolutely, in no way, should be playing 11 P5 games. Get out of the Cincy series. When it was scheduled I said it was a bad idea to play a home and home against a Top G5 and its even worse now. We could very easily lose those 3 next year and have like a 5-7 year.

Pitt absolutely, in no way, should be playing 11 P5 games. Get out of the Cincy series. When it was scheduled I said it was a bad idea to play a home and home against a Top G5 and its even worse now. We could very easily lose those 3 next year and have like a 5-7 year.
Oh well. Maybe Pitt should drop down and play in the President's Athletic Conference next year???
If Pitt was to go 5-7, then that's what they deserved. Time to look for the weaknesses and correct them in preparation for the following season.

The only reason we hate these type of schedules is because we never win. Win these games and the rewards are tenfold what they are for a cream puff schedule.
Our fan base is scared

Why not play big games? They're the reason some recruits go to schools and winning those games are what help teams that are 9-3/8-4 get more respect in the national discussion. However, we have to be competitive and win some of those games, the last thing that can happen is getting absolutely blown out by those teams.

Reactions: caleco's
Why not play big games? They're the reason some recruits go to schools and winning those games are what help teams that are 9-3/8-4 get more respect in the national discussion.
I couldn’t disagree with this more. Look at Clemson last year - lost by a FG in the opener to the eventual national champion OOC, and then had two “good” losses in conference and all we heard was how bad Clemson and the ACC were. By November no one cares who you play OOC

Why not play big games? They're the reason some recruits go to schools and winning those games are what help teams that are 9-3/8-4 get more respect in the national discussion.

The point you are making is literally the opposite of what happens in college football.

I couldn’t disagree with this more. Look at Clemson last year - lost by a FG in the opener to the eventual national champion OOC, and then had two “good” losses in conference and all we heard was how bad Clemson and the ACC were. By November no one cares who you play OOC
Clemson last year is completely different than us, simply due to preseason expectations. They are expected by the entire country to be in the college football playoff, so we heard about how they were so "bad" because they didn't live up to those expectations. I think that a program like us would get a ton more respect because we weren't playing cupcakes and were more competitive against strong opponents in the OOC, since our expectations for each season are not as high as Clemson's

Unrelated but I remember when UC was considered a cupcake back in the 80s/90s. Watched FSU beat them something like 80-0 back in the late 80s. Cincy got pissed that FSU was running up the score and there was a huge brawl at the end.

They can't fall back into obscurity/mediocrity fast enough.

Reactions: caleco's
The only reason we hate these type of schedules is because we never win. Win these games and the rewards are tenfold what they are for a cream puff schedule.
Our fan base is scared
Never thought I'd see in my 50 years as a Pitt fan the day the fanbase would quake in their boots worrying about the likes of the Cincinnati's of the world...A lot of folks are in dire need of a grow a pair intervention..

this board is so naive in how hard it really is to not only get drafted but make an NFL roster at the qb position.

Reactions: pittdan77
this board is so naive in how hard it really is to not only get drafted but make an NFL roster at the qb position.
Perhaps, however we still see guys leave all the time who shouldn't/aren't ready yet. Idk I just think its been assumed that Slovis would be gone after this year to go pro, but I would love having him back for another season before most likely giving the keys of the offense to Minchey then in 2024.

Perhaps, however we still see guys leave all the time who shouldn't/aren't ready yet. Idk I just think its been assumed that Slovis would be gone after this year to go pro, but I would love having him back for another season before most likely giving the keys of the offense to Minchey then in 2024.
well if he wants to leave and pull a "Greg Lee" or "major harris" then that's his choice.

River-City-Rivalry-Trophy-and-Pitt-football-players-MG-6365.jpg

Our fan base is scared
And Bama plays weak teams, they play Utah State, Louisiana-Monroe and Texas, which has been no better than WVU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT