ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt +6.5 against Wake

I thought the spread would be closer. 6.5 seems like a good bet. Every game going forward is scary.

Wake is a scary team because they can shoot lights out from 3 AND they have a legit big. I wouldn’t double Reid. Just like DJ Burns, make them beat us on 2s. Need to cover 3 point shooters. Monsanto is back now. He's one of the best shooters in the nation. 42 of his 43 shots this season have been 3s. He only played a few minutes vs us last time and had 6 points on 1 official shot as the other shot, he was fouled taking a 3.

I don't have a good feeling about this game at all. But we'll see.
I don't either. I honestly think this one could get ugly.... and that is not an indictment on Pitt. I just think Wake is going to come out ultra desperate considering losing their last two and needing to beat Pitt and Duke to get back into true tournament consideration.

Holding down their 3 pt shooting again is the key. This game is at their place where they have not lost this season so I like WF in this one but not by 6.5 pts. Gonna come down to the wire imo

I don't either. I honestly think this one could get ugly.... and that is not an indictment on Pitt. I just think Wake is going to come out ultra desperate considering losing their last two and needing to beat Pitt and Duke to get back into true tournament consideration.

I kinda see this going like Miami. Wake comes out hot and gets a lead, maybe not a huge lead like Miami but maintains an 8-10 point lead much of the game.

Wake is a scary team because they can shoot lights out from 3 AND they have a legit big. I wouldn’t double Reid. Just like DJ Burns, make them beat us on 2s. Need to cover 3 point shooters. Monsanto is back now. He's one of the best shooters in the nation. 42 of his 43 shots this season have been 3s. He only played a few minutes vs us last time and had 6 points on 1 official shot as the other shot, he was fouled taking a 3.
The good news about Pitt is they are quite good at defending the three

Tonight's game decides which of Pitt or Wake is on the "correct" side of the NCAAT bubble, as well as the double-bye in the ACCT ... for now

One of these two teams HAS to lose tonight, but a loss won't be considered a crucial loss (for either team)

This is a real match-up challenge as WF has a strong inside player as well as multiple options from the 3-pt arc

Looking forward to watching it (on tape delay, of course ... still superstitious!)

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Down to +5.5 on Fanduel. Interesting stat, our Panthers are 15-7-2 against the spread.

Feed Blake early and often to see if he's still on a hot streak. Although, Ish was big against Wake last time we played them.

Gotta hit the boards hard, and I think they need to go at Reed to see if they can get him in foul trouble.

I thought the spread would be closer. 6.5 seems like a good bet. Every game going forward is scary.
Wake is undefeated at home this year and Reid is a tough matchup for Pitt....maybe Pitt can catch lighting in a bottle with Will Jeffress' defense again.

Down to +5.5 on Fanduel. Interesting stat, our Panthers are 15-7-2 against the spread.

Feed Blake early and often to see if he's still on a hot streak. Although, Ish was big against Wake last time we played them.

Gotta hit the boards hard, and I think they need to go at Reed to see if they can get him in foul trouble.
They used Hildreth on Blake in the game here. He did a good job of dogging Hinson and was able to deny Blake from getting the ball much in the 1H.

But in doing that, Hildreth also got into foul trouble that kept him on the bench for significant minutes. It also resulted in Hildreth being held to 4 points for the game. Blake wound up with 17.

Every game is different and takes on its own life. Be interesting to see how the one tonight evolves.

Last edited:
The guys have been playing really good BB that last 7 or 8 games. No matter what happens it's fun to watch Pitt play in games that mean something other than a W. I like this team with the money on the line....they're 15-8-2 ATS and cover over 65% of the time.

For now, today, feels like an ACC bubble elimination game....

Last year, I said the Jan 31 Wake @ Pitt game was a play-out game and I was right. This year, I said if we lost vs Clemson, we wouldn't make the NCAAT and I may be right. For tonight's game, I proclaim that the loser will not make the NCAA Tournament. Biggest regular season game in years. I remember Wake and Scottie Wilbekin's brother eliminating a Dixon 2 team from the bubble on ACC Sunday Night Hoops down there.

Last year, I said the Jan 31 Wake @ Pitt game was a play-out game and I was right. This year, I said if we lost vs Clemson, we wouldn't make the NCAAT and I may be right. For tonight's game, I proclaim that the loser will not make the NCAA Tournament. Biggest regular season game in years. I remember Wake and Scottie Wilbekin's brother eliminating a Dixon 2 team from the bubble on ACC Sunday Night Hoops down there.
If you throw enough crap at the wall, then something is bound to stick.

Every game is different and takes on its own life. Be interesting to see how the one tonight evolves.
Indeed. In-game adjustments will be the key IMO. Steve Forbes never did much adjusting and got burned as a result. Capel did and using Jeffress to guard Reid paid off in a win. Still, I see Pitt starting Bub/J-Lowe/Zack/Blake/Fede. This lineup has been $$ and if Fede plays anything like he did vs the Cards, we might not need Jeffress immediately

If you throw enough crap at the wall, then something is bound to stick.

If you know college basketball, then you know. Pitt could lose this game and then win the next 5 and make it but that's extremely unlikely. Wake probably needs this even more since their only Q1 is @ #75 NC St which might not remain Q1. I doubt very much that both of these teams get in. There's just not enough spots with so many going from the P5 (MWC, B10, B12, BE, SEC). 30 of 38 at-large spots are from those 5.

Keys to the game for Pitt
1) defense inside Jeffress and FF need to be tough. Graham doesn't have enough strength to play in the blocks tonight
2) deal with the pressure defense. We struggled against it last time out
3) continue creating open 3's. The inside out game really make our offense work
4) Free throws

If you know college basketball, then you know. Pitt could lose this game and then win the next 5 and make it but that's extremely unlikely. Wake probably needs this even more since their only Q1 is @ #75 NC St which might not remain Q1. I doubt very much that both of these teams get in. There's just not enough spots with so many going from the P5 (MWC, B10, B12, BE, SEC). 30 of 38 at-large spots are from those 5.
They wouldn't even need to win the next 5 to get in. Frankly, a loss here isn't as bad as many like to make it out. Go 4-1 and win a game or two in the ACC tourney and they're still in pretty good shape. Our home games are more important than this game.

It would be crippling for Wake.

Reactions: H-Burg Panther
How is the WVU coaching staff faring that I told you wasn’t qualified to coach a WPIAL team Mr College hoops?

Just win one of 3 on the road, win the home games, and win one in Greensboro.

We do that, we will be in, I think.

I think Pitt and Wake can both make it. UVA might be the team that falls off. They might lose the next 3 and fall completely out.

Tonight is a much bigger game for Wake than Pitt. Wake needs the game more.

Just win one of 3 on the road, win the home games, and win one in Greensboro.

We do that, we will be in, I think.

I think Pitt and Wake can both make it. UVA might be the team that falls off. They might lose the next 3 and fall completely out.

Tonight is a much bigger game for Wake than Pitt. Wake needs the game more.
Agree with you 100%.

That being said, it would sure be SWEET for Pitt to win tonight! 😊

Reactions: Chairman Moe
The way Pitt is playing now, we could lose by 20+.

I think we have to win one of the 2 between @ WF and @ Clemson. Given we're probably going to lose this one, the Clemson game is a must win. That's a tall order.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT