ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday NCAAT thread

But wait, SMF said Dayton and their 22 NET weren’t any good? Plz SMF PLZ. Keep sending picks to fade you on. I may be able to retire early fading your predictions

Exactly. They stink. 13th or 14th best talent if in ACC. Nate Santos and RMU's Enoch
Cheeks being key playera tells you all you need to know. I hate that matchup when I saw it because I figured Dayton would win since the MWC sucks so bad and I had to root for Dayton, one of the biggest frauds in this tournament. 0 wins vs the field. Bad SOS. Shouldn't be in.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Exactly. They stink. 13th or 14th best talent if in ACC. Nate Santos and RMU's Enoch
Cheeks being key playera tells you all you need to know. I hate that matchup when I saw it because I figured Dayton would win since the MWC sucks so bad and I had to root for Dayton, one of the biggest frauds in this tournament. 0 wins vs the field. Bad SOS. Shouldn't be in.
1 win v the field. And into the round of 32.

Lucky as eff to get a MWC fraud. I picked Dayton so tells you what I thought of their opponent. You cannot possibly tell me you think Dayton has more talent than Pitt. Pitt would be a 4-5 point favorite.
Pitt didn’t make it, so it’s a stupid thing to argue. Pitt would be favored over roughly half the teams in the tournament. They weren’t the first team out or the second team out and Dayton was firmly in. Why is this so difficult to get over

Reactions: TD_6082
NC State beats another Big 12 fraud
BYU NCSOS 293 and Texas Tech 311
Combined they had 8 road wins
ACC teams not named UVA now 23-9 the last 3 tourneys. UNC & State favored to make sweet 16.

Last edited:
Wolfpack, wolfpack...

I like Middlebrooks. Numbers aren't much better than Fede, but he only gets like 3/4 the playing time. I think someone like that is about the best we can hope for, to put with Kante and GDG, next season.

Or just play better on defense to win league championships and ncaa tournament games, ;)
I don’t know about their run through the PAC12 tournament but yesterday’s win can be largely credited to Couisnard going off for 40 and their big guy Dante, who South Carolina didn’t have an answer for, adding another 23. 87-73 score and shooting 60% as a team from the field doesn’t sound like a game won largely with defense.

11 seeds 3-0 yesterday. Typical 1st Thursday of the NCAA tourney.

Clemson playing 11-seed New Mexico today. They gonna prevent the 11-seeds from going 4-0? I’m thinking so, but you never know.

So you are casting stones on the mountain west from the acc side of the road after said team embarrassed Virginia ? Got it.
Have to look at the greater sample size. Not a very good track record in recent years and so far this year the Mountain West is 1-3 and the ACC is 2-1. That said…
11 seeds 3-0 yesterday. Typical 1st Thursday of the NCAA tourney.

Clemson playing 11-seed New Mexico today. They gonna prevent the 11-seeds from going 4-0? I’m thinking so, but you never know.
New Mexico is actually favored over Clemson today I see (-2.5). That one should be interesting.

Have to look at the greater sample size. Not a very good track record in recent years and so far this year the Mountain West is 1-3 and the ACC is 2-1. That said…

New Mexico is actually favored over Clemson today I see (-2.5). That one should be interesting.
Yeah, I agree w/r to Clemson-NM. I wasn’t suggesting Clemson was going to have a sure win.

Yeah, I agree w/r to Clemson-NM. I wasn’t suggesting Clemson was going to have a sure win.
I hear you, I personally picked Clemson but watch those guys that always ball out against Pitt struggle today. Pretty sure that trio of Hall/Schieffelin (or however you spell it)/Girard killed them both times they played.

Clemson lost their swag from early in the season Will be interesting to see if they can regain it. If they can get past the first game I think they can do some damage.

So you are casting stones on the mountain west from the acc side of the road after said team embarrassed Virginia ? Got it.

Exactly. UVa didnt belong in the tournament. I know basketball and I didnt have them in. Colorado State beat an NIT team with a roster that I'd rank 13th-15th in the ACC and who only played 7 games vs the ACC NCAAT teams (plus Pitt) and went 2-5. The MWC blows. Really really blows. Every year its the same thing. So sick of it.

• Haha
Reactions: TD_6082
his point was hammering a conference for a team that scored 11 points in a half....my counter point was then the same should be said about a conference with a team that scores 15 points in a half against that same team and actaully lost to them...
Right, so my point also remains - need to look at more than just single match-ups before judging conferences as a whole. Same fallacy occurs during bowl season in football.

I meant that some people like to judge conferences based on bowl games which makes less sense even nowadays because of what you just said.

Maybe in the old days, ok. But I think the NCAAT does tell a tale on your league. It doesn't mean everything. But in extreme cases, I think it does.

Maybe in the old days, ok. But I think the NCAAT does tell a tale on your league. It doesn't mean everything. But in extreme cases, I think it does.
It depends I guess. I think there’s something to be said about the ACC’s recent successes in the tournament compared to other conferences who haven’t done much but got more bids and respect this year, so if only it meant more for us.

It depends I guess. I think there’s something to be said about the ACC’s recent successes in the tournament compared to other conferences who haven’t done much but got more bids and respect this year, so if only it meant more for us.
Looks like MWC will be the target for rage, maybe SEC, too. I'd love to see a couple ACC teams get to the Final 4.

Looks like MWC will be the target for rage, maybe SEC, too. I'd love to see a couple ACC teams get to the Final 4.

I will admit that I absolutely LOVE watching the MWC lose. I hope this was their "last chance." They need to be limited to 3 next year. SDSU + 2 more no matter what NET says.

What happens in 2023-24 has nothing to do with what happens in 2024-25.

It has to. This is every year. They are gaming the NET with their scheduling strategy and then all beat each for other for 5-6 Q1 wins. The NCAA has got to stop rewarding these teams for gaming. They arent good. Its a league who is at the level of the A10 or American but games the NET to maximize bids. I dont blame them for doing what they do but the NCAA needs to limit their bids. Like if you are Boise State and you go 20-10, sorry you are out and 22-11 Pitt is in. Records are similar. ACC is tougher because it just is. Go have fun in the NIT.

Pitt is now up to #33 in the entire country in the Torvik efficiency metrics and 36th in the entire country on pomeroy. I know some people dont care anymore, but this program sneaking into the top 25 in the season ending efficiency metrics at the end of this season will give us quite a bit of hype going into next preseason if we get Bub back.

Heck, it feels good being this high again.

I want Jamie Dixon's job..
Just get her to the dance, idc if someone else drives her home.

It has to. This is every year. They are gaming the NET with their scheduling strategy and then all beat each for other for 5-6 Q1 wins. The NCAA has got to stop rewarding these teams for gaming. They arent good. Its a league who is at the level of the A10 or American but games the NET to maximize bids. I dont blame them for doing what they do but the NCAA needs to limit their bids. Like if you are Boise State and you go 20-10, sorry you are out and 22-11 Pitt is in. Records are similar. ACC is tougher because it just is. Go have fun in the NIT.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not a big man of having a system in place and then doing a bunch of manual overrides to achieve the results you want. If they think the system is continually putting worse teams in the field, then I think it's the system itself that needs changed.

As I've said, NET should be a tool that is used by gamblers and fans. It's wild to me that they're actually using it to select teams (even if not directly, it's still determining the quads, etc.).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT