ADVERTISEMENT

Article Pitt adds a transfer quarterback

Hell yes. Essentially he is the QB recruit in this year's class. Highly rated coming out of high school - consensus 4 star, Top 300 recruit per 24/7. He redshirt's a year in 2020 with Pickett as a senior. Then Beville and Yellen are both redshirt Sophomores in 2021 fighting it out for the starting job (perhaps with Patti but I think Beville and Yellen are both better)

Me thinks Patti is gone...

Why? Yellen is the QB recruit in this class. He is not eligible in 2020.

Patti is the likely backup in 2020. Doesn't mean he may not choose to move on but it makes more sense for Patti to do so after 2020 if he does not see himself beating out Beville or Yellen for the starting QB job in 2021.

Reactions: pittdan77
Glad that they brought in another arm especially one who was highly recruited and with some real game experience. I expect at last one of the QBs who loses the competition after Pickett graduates to transfer. Maybe one accepts never being a starter but that is not that common anymore.

So my one statement against the article is that Pitt likely needs to recruit a QB next year so that they have three left after Pickett graduates and one likely transfers.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
Rivals has him at a 3 star.
Honestly, I think 247’s composite rankings are better. They had him as a 4-star recruit and ranked as the 293rd best recruit in the country and 9th best pro-style QB nationally. Had an offer from Georgia and was an Under Armour All-American.

Regardless, I like it. Hopefully he can contribute come 2021.

Also, the reason why he’s transferring is because he got beat out by fellow true freshman Jaylen Daniels, who is an absolute stud and will be one of the better QBs in the nation in a few years. No shame in that.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
effing 3 star with tiny offer sheet.
His big offers were from Boise State, Georgia, Washington, Oregon State and ASU. He was rated 9th best pro style QB in 2018 and was a 4 star on some services.----By the way in the one game he played against USC and threw for 292 yards it was reported he hurt his throwing shoulder on the 3rd play of that game. If Georgia wanted him I think Pitt can afford to roll the dice on this guy.

Solid looking prospect. He made some nice plays against USC. Noticed he threw two touchdowns from inside the 5. Not always the easiest spot to make a pass with limited space to work with.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Solid looking prospect. He made some nice plays against USC. Noticed he threw two touchdowns from inside the 5. Not always the easiest spot to make a pass with limited space to work with.
Yup, and only lost by five to ranked USC team at that. Offense put up 26 points. That gets us a win with this defense.

Not too mention ASU was down 28-7 to USC in THE FIRST QUARTER. Joey brought us all the way back and we had a potential game winning pick 6 called back because of a ticky tack def holding call. This is a really good pickup for Pitt and there isn't a single ASU fan who didn't want Joey to stick it out at ASU but this gives him a chance to start a year earlier and longer. It's a great move for Pitt as now there will be a legit competition with Beville and whoever emerges will have earned it and should be the real deal. Georgia did come in late and try to flip him but he stuck with his commitment to ASU. As a Pitt native and lifelong fan I'm glad I get to continue rooting for Joey in the future.

Me thinks Patti is gone...
Maybe I worry too much but I suspected that our late push for a QB could be a result of that possibility but the pickup of the new Qb won’t make the 2020 Qb situation any better if Patti left after spring ball or before. If this happens and I have heard nothing about a Patti transfer then we would be left with only two schollie QBs ( and two good ones in KP and Beville ) . That is a little too close for comfort. In any event at least the staff is being very proactive for the QB position after KP graduates with a lot of potential at the position.

Yellen is a nice pickup and I like it even better than adding a QB in this class based on what was out there.

Did he even visit?

Reactions: Pittski
Maybe I worry too much but I suspected that our late push for a QB could be a result of that possibility but the pickup of the new Qb won’t make the 2020 Qb situation any better if Patti left after spring ball or before. If this happens and I have heard nothing about a Patti transfer then we would be left with only two schollie QBs ( and two good ones in KP and Beville ) . That is a little too close for comfort. In any event at least the staff is being very proactive for the QB position after KP graduates with a lot of potential at the position.

I agree on the comfort level... keep in mind the QB from Aliquippa could be serviceable... and who knows with HCPN petitioning the NCAA for KP's 5th year ?

I doubt anyone transfers until they lose the starting position in 2021. Patti might be next in line if KP gets hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT