ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt/Akron Men’s Soccer on ESPN+

MartyInLawrenceville

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2012
Awful camera work, but better than not being able to see it at all. Scoreless through the first 10 minutes.

Akron up 1-0. Malik Henry with a sweet setup to Dyson Claypier who finishes with a header in the 12th minute. Both are freshmen.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
I think the camera crew must have been hitting the tequila before the game.
First Energy Stadium is regarded as one of the top soccer facilities/stadiums in the country. The grandstand is probably twice the size of Pitt’s and they charge admission for those seats and normally fill it. Everything else is free, including the General Admission seats behind the goals which are filled with students. Not sure what the overall crowd is like there tonight as the cameras don’t show the grandstand. But I was there for Pitt a couple years ago on a Friday night and the place was packed a lot more than what TV is showing right now. That was when Akron was Akron and Pitt was rebuilding under Jay. Pitt lost 1-0, but was the better team that night. Even then.

Pitt has had an unbelievable 10 offsides in the 1st Half. Akron is playing a high line and Pitt simply cannot stay onside. Pitt has had more of the possession and looks like the better team slightly but their problem has always been all this possession without even a lot of great chances. Then the other team gets the ball a few times and bam, they put up shot after shot.

Diogo Pacheco for the Zips in the 77th minute, 2-1 Akron. Pitt having a hard time penetrating that Akron back line.

Our Alabama soccer team about to lose their second game of this young season.
I suppose we are no longer a soccer school if we lose to two MAC schools in a weeks time. ;).

but I know…it’s only because Pitt couldn’t deal with playing in a hornets nest like WVU and Akron.

I suppose we are no longer a soccer school if we lose to two MAC schools in a weeks time. ;).

but I know…it’s only because Pitt couldn’t deal with playing in a hornets nest like WVU and Akron.
😁. In all seriousness though. You know soccer a lot better than me. I mean those are two tough teams we lost to. But we are going to have more tough ones. Should we be worrying?

• Wow
😁. In all seriousness though. You know soccer a lot better than me. I mean those are two tough teams we lost to. But we are going to have more tough ones. Should we be worrying?
We are in serious trouble. Yea, those are 2 good teams we lost to and on the road but we haven't looked anything like the team we saw last year. At this point, we look like an ordinary. 500 level ACC team. We have all the possession yet create very few chances. Noel has been absolutely non-existent all season. And the defense has been abysmal. We aren't giving up many chances because we have the ball all game but every time our opponent gets a shot, they score it seems.

Honestly, at this point, if you told me we could go .500 and sneak in the NCAAT, I'd take it because considering what we have coming up, we could be 2-5, 2-4-1 and really really up against it.

Pitt has Pitted away its chance to host a bunch of NCAAT games. Now its just a matter of making the tournament and hoping our defenders decide to stay awake the whole game so we can win a game 1-0 or 2-1 since we create no chances.

I wasn’t worried after wvu. It’s soccer and the best team doesn’t always win. But now the team appears lifeless and frustrated, not to mention 2 losses already with other top 15 teams populating the schedule. The second goal for Akron was a nice goal of you’re an Akron fan. But as Pitt fans it was slow developing and there’s no way the goal scorer should have been free to finish that service. Just complete lack of focus.

I wasn’t worried after wvu. It’s soccer and the best team doesn’t always win. But now the team appears lifeless and frustrated, not to mention 2 losses already with other top 15 teams populating the schedule. The second goal for Akron was a nice goal of you’re an Akron fan. But as Pitt fans it was slow developing and there’s no way the goal scorer should have been free to finish that service. Just complete lack of focus.
Pitt has only given up 13 shots on goal the last 3 games but has yielded 5 goals off of those 13. And shots on goal can be misleading because some of those would be rather weak shots that had little shot of going but still required a save. Basically any time our opponent has a good chance to score, they do. This even goes back to the Indiana game. They had 2 shots on goal and scored on 1. Pitt's opponents arent seeing much of the ball but they are making the most of the chances they do have.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack and Fk_Pitt
Pitt has only given up 13 shots on goal the last 3 games but has yielded 5 goals off of those 13. And shots on goal can be misleading because some of those would be rather weak shots that had little shot of going but still required a save. Basically any time our opponent has a good chance to score, they do. This even goes back to the Indiana game. They had 2 shots on goal and scored on 1. Pitt's opponents arent seeing much of the ball but they are making the most of the chances they do have.
If noticed, once Pitt worked out of the back, they were sending numbers up and as soon as Akron got possession they pushed the pace and our defense was left fairly thin. Many times last night there were chances for Akron and the back line looked out of position, behind the play, and a bit thin. The last goal Akron scored they had a chance or two before it, and you could just see it coming. Gotta give credit for the ball Akron served up and finished. Ball was sent in perfectly. But again Pitt defense was a step behind and had nobody back for that goal. The Akron wing even slow played it a bit before serving it in, and still no Pitt defenders. It was a perfect ball and finish and Akron was bound to score.

If noticed, once Pitt worked out of the back, they were sending numbers up and as soon as Akron got possession they pushed the pace and our defense was left fairly thin. Many times last night there were chances for Akron and the back line looked out of position, behind the play, and a bit thin. The last goal Akron scored they had a chance or two before it, and you could just see it coming. Gotta give credit for the ball Akron served up and finished. Ball was sent in perfectly. But again Pitt defense was a step behind and had nobody back for that goal. The Akron wing even slow played it a bit before serving it in, and still no Pitt defenders. It was a perfect ball and finish and Akron was bound to score.
Yea, I mean Pitt does play really high and even last year, they gave up a lot of goals but they were able to outscore their opponents. Everything they give up comes from one of the flanks and its usually off a 1v1 scenario. Our midfielders don't track back and defend which is why I think we have seen so much of Luke Mort. He isn't anywhere nearly as skilled offensively but at least he will defend. The problem though is we arent scoring goals and when you play him, you take a goal scorer off the field.

Pitt has a lot of problems right now. We cant score goals and we refuse to defend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT