ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt baseball gets another win - This one 10-1

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
So far pitching looks deep and strong.

I would think about maximizing offense and maybe take Franks and Anderson out of the starting lineup.

Beat Jacksonville in a mid week game 7-2. Start ACC play this weekend I believe.
The team looks pretty solid. the transfer pitchers have been great.

Walks reared their ugly head yesterday and I am not sure Our manager is managing his pitching staff in the best manner.

As we play better teams, that and playing light hitters like Anderson and Franks could be detrimental.

Walks reared their ugly head yesterday and I am not sure Our manager is managing his pitching staff in the best manner.

As we play better teams, that and playing light hitters like Anderson and Franks could be detrimental.

It's been four whole games and you already think that the manager isn't managing his pitching staff correctly. Wow.

If Anderson and Franks shouldn't be playing, who is it that you think should be playing that would give the team not just better hitting, but better overall play when considering defense (especially for Franks)? You can't just say "these guys stink, they shouldn't be playing", you have to believe that someone else is better. So who is that?

Reactions: persp
It seems like they like Anderson and Franks’ ability to work the count and get on base. And Anderson’s speed is a huge asset defensively. They also moved Yanni to second and Franks to short, so it’s possible that Franks is an upgrade to Yanni at short defensively, and they just don’t want to take Yanni or Duff’s bats out of the lineup.

They’ve been pretty clean with walks over the weekend, but definitely gave up too many yesterday. It seemed like they were trying to get some work for the new guys, and one of the freshmen walked three. Chase Smith hasn’t had too many issues with his control over the past two seasons, but he’s really struggled with it so far. Hopefully he gets it turned around. The bullpen was the biggest issue last year, and you’d think that with the additional talent they’ve added, it’ll be better this year. But it’s a tough league, and we haven’t had much time to season the new guys before diving in.

Reactions: ThePanthers
It's been four whole games and you already think that the manager isn't managing his pitching staff correctly. Wow.

If Anderson and Franks shouldn't be playing, who is it that you think should be playing that would give the team not just better hitting, but better overall play when considering defense (especially for Franks)? You can't just say "these guys stink, they shouldn't be playing", you have to believe that someone else is better. So who is that?
Cappas in OF and Tarabek at 3B. Frontino if healthy.

Can’t be using 4-5 relief pitchers in games. (Some with multiple innings)

That is fine in a mid week game. Can’t manage like that Fri,Sat and Sun.

Can’t be using 4-5 relief pitchers in games. (Some with multiple innings)

That is fine in a mid week game. Can’t manage like that Fri,Sat and Sun.
I saw both Vandy starters pitched 4-5 innings.

Maybe current managing reflects early season, weather, preparedness.

Corcoran only went four and didn’t get the win for Pitt.

Franks isn't playing 3rd base, so that does you no good at all. His reputation (and I haven't seen him play, so no first hand knowledge) is as a good defender. So perhaps they are giving up some hitting in exchange for better defense. That may or may not be the right choice, but surely four games (of which Franks only played three) isn't enough to determine that.

Cappas did not play last year, but in 2019 he hit .154 with NO extra base hits (in only 39 at bats, but still). I'm not sure how anyone could know that he would be better. It appears that they are so enamored with his hitting that they may have made him a full time pitcher.

I saw both Vandy starters pitched 4-5 innings.

Remind us all, how many innings did the Pitt starters throw last Friday, Saturday and Sunday? On the first weekend of the season. For a northern school that hasn't been able to practice outside hardly at all this year so far.

Franks isn't playing 3rd base, so that does you no good at all. His reputation (and I haven't seen him play, so no first hand knowledge) is as a good defender. So perhaps they are giving up some hitting in exchange for better defense. That may or may not be the right choice, but surely four games (of which Franks only played three) isn't enough to determine that.

Cappas did not play last year, but in 2019 he hit .154 with NO extra base hits (in only 39 at bats, but still). I'm not sure how anyone could know that he would be better. It appears that they are so enamored with his hitting that they may have made him a full time pitcher.

Remind us all, how many innings did the Pitt starters throw last Friday, Saturday and Sunday? On the first weekend of the season. For a northern school that hasn't been able to practice outside hardly at all this year so far.
Yanni has played a lot of shortstop and Duff a lot of second base for Pitt. That is where they started game one with Tarabek at third.

This is Tarabek’s bio:

This is Cappas in 2018:

2018: Appeared in 40 games, starting 24 for the Panthers as a true freshman … was named to the ACC Championship All-Tournament Team … finished the season with a .298 average to go along with 28 hits, 16 runs, 15 RBI, 10 walks and seven stolen bases … ranked second in average, tying for second in stolen bases … collected 39 putouts and two assists, amassing a perfect 1.000 fielding percentage … compiled a season-high four RBI after going 2-4 with two runs and a walk in a lopsided 21-1 win over Saint Peter’s … scored a season-high three runs in an 18-5 victory against MD Eastern Shore, going 1-2 with two walks … racked up a season-high three hits in four at-bats in an 8-7 win at Notre Dame … went 2-4 in Pitt’s ACC Tournament victory against Georgia Tech, collecting a double, triple and an RBI … collected two more hits, this time in three at-bats, in the Panthers’ ACC Tournament win against North Carolina, adding a double and RBI.

You asked for names, I gave you names.

You are agreeing with my "on further reflection" on why our starters had restricted innings? Conditioning/safety concerns? I was the one that brought up the Vandy starters innings as an explanation for why we used so many relief pitchers, thinking that might change.

Last edited:
This is Cappas in 2018:

That was three years ago. Like I said, it looks like they think so much of his hitting ability that they have moved him to pitcher full time.

Our starters had restricted innings for the exact same reason that every pitcher on every team across the country had restricted innings last weekend. Because no one is going to pitch guys eight innings and 130 pitches on the first weekend of the season in the middle of February. It's the same reason why major league teams do the exact same thing the first couple weeks of the season in April (to say nothing of what they are doing in March, let alone February).

It is also possible that for the Tuesday game that since ACC play starts this weekend they pitched a lot of guys on Tuesday because they wanted lots of guys to have at least an inning or two under their belt before the first conference game, so that if they have to pitch them this weekend it won't be their first time out there facing live game action in a year. The general lack of mid-week games this year might exacerbate that as well, because guys are either going to pitch in the weekend conference games or they are not going to pitch for a long time. Our next weekday game isn't for another month. I wonder if, as the season goes on, they will try to pick up some more weekday games. Obviously not in the next week or two, when the weather is likely to not cooperate, but from mid to late March on.

Reactions: ThePanthers
That was three years ago. Like I said, it looks like they think so much of his hitting ability that they have moved him to pitcher full time.

Our starters had restricted innings for the exact same reason that every pitcher on every team across the country had restricted innings last weekend. Because no one is going to pitch guys eight innings and 130 pitches on the first weekend of the season in the middle of February. It's the same reason why major league teams do the exact same thing the first couple weeks of the season in April (to say nothing of what they are doing in March, let alone February).

It is also possible that for the Tuesday game that since ACC play starts this weekend they pitched a lot of guys on Tuesday because they wanted lots of guys to have at least an inning or two under their belt before the first conference game, so that if they have to pitch them this weekend it won't be their first time out there facing live game action in a year. The general lack of mid-week games this year might exacerbate that as well, because guys are either going to pitch in the weekend conference games or they are not going to pitch for a long time. Our next weekday game isn't for another month. I wonder if, as the season goes on, they will try to pick up some more weekday games. Obviously not in the next week or two, when the weather is likely to not cooperate, but from mid to late March on.
Hard to argue Cappas did pretty damn well as a freshman position player in the ACC?

They think so much of him as a pitcher that they have used 11 pitchers ahead of him. He has not pitched yet. I guess he could be hurt.

Last edited:
Hard to argue Cappas did pretty damn well as a freshman position player in the ACC?

In conference games that season he slashed .275/.327/.294 (he had one extra base hit, a double, in 18 conference games played and 13 starts). The notion that that is doing "pretty damn well" is pretty far divorced from reality.

In conference games that season he slashed .275/.327/.294 (he had one extra base hit, a double, in 18 conference games played and 13 starts). The notion that that is doing "pretty damn well" is pretty far divorced from reality.
What has Anderson hit?

What has Frank’s hit in JUNIOR COLLEGE (Not the ACC)?

What has Anderson hit?

What has Frank’s hit in JUNIOR COLLEGE (Not the ACC)?

First of all, they have played FOUR games this year. The fact that you want to make some sort of definitive statement about how good players are or are not based on four games is crazy. Especially with guys that you have never seen play before.

Secondly, Franks had more extra base hits in the shortened juco season last year than Cappas has had in his whole career at Pitt. Think about that for a second.

And as I said before, Franks has the reputation of being a good fielder. Do you think that it's even possible that the coach has made the decision to sacrifice a little bit of hitting to get a superior defender on the field at the most important position on the field? Or is it only about hitting for you?

First of all, they have played FOUR games this year. The fact that you want to make some sort of definitive statement about how good players are or are not based on four games is crazy. Especially with guys that you have never seen play before.

Secondly, Franks had more extra base hits in the shortened juco season last year than Cappas has had in his whole career at Pitt. Think about that for a second.

And as I said before, Franks has the reputation of being a good fielder. Do you think that it's even possible that the coach has made the decision to sacrifice a little bit of hitting to get a superior defender on the field at the most important position on the field? Or is it only about hitting for you?
I think I indicated early in this thread, that I thought the pitching looked strong. I, me, this person would sacrifice some defense for better hitting.

Cappas played his freshman year without an error.

Yanni and Duff were our Ss and 2B for the bulk of last season.

Wonder why these stats don’t include Frank’s average. Then again, no I don’t.

I think I indicated early in this thread, that I thought the pitching looked strong. I, me, this person would sacrifice some defense for better hitting.

Maybe the reason why the pitching looked strong was because of strong defense?

Maybe we let the season play out a little before we make grand statements about guys that we have never seen play before? Nah, what fun would that be?

Maybe the reason why the pitching looked strong was because of strong defense?

Maybe we let the season play out a little before we make grand statements about guys that we have never seen play before? Nah, what fun would that be?
You have not seen Anderson or Cappas play before?

I admit I have not seen Frank’s,but his resume screams glove only.

You have not seen Anderson or Cappas play before?

Yeah, I've seen both. Neither one has shown they can hit at this level. And yet for some reason you think that one of them can and the other can't.

Perhaps Franks is a glove only shortstop. Or perhaps not. Time will tell. But even if he is that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be playing. It's just as important to prevent runs as it is to score them.

Pitt’s up on #9 Florida State 1-0 after four. Myers has a clean sheet so far.

Myers, 6 innings and 13 Ks against FSU. Huge back to back Ks to get out of the jam there in the 6th.

not a bad outing I’d say

Reactions: bwh05
Myers, 6 innings and 13 Ks against FSU. Huge back to back Ks to get out of the jam there in the 6th.

not a bad outing I’d say
If we can get outings like this from him every Friday night, we’ll be competitive in this conference. Especially if Corcoran pitches like he’s capable of.

If we can get outings like this from him every Friday night, we’ll be competitive in this conference. Especially if Corcoran pitches like he’s capable of.

I follow the baseball program but not super closely. Seems to be a lot more ACC talent on this team than there was 2-3 years ago. Although the bottom of the lineup still seems a little weak but maybe I’m off there

I follow the baseball program but not super closely. Seems to be a lot more ACC talent on this team than there was 2-3 years ago. Although the bottom of the lineup still seems a little weak but maybe I’m off there
We’ve been talking about that all week in this thread lol. They’re definitely still figuring out the lineup, and they might be trading a little too much in favor of defense, but I think it’s the best team they’ve had since joining the ACC.

Reactions: gary2 and pittjas
Dangerous spot here - bottom of the 8th, runner on third with one out. FSU batter has a .636 average in the early going. Pitching change.

edit: they really liked McCrum, the grad transfer from Monmouth, to handle these kind of high-leverage at bats. The bullpen in spots like this absolutely killed Pitt in the short season last year. Let’s see how it goes.

What a bad swing by the FSU hitter to get jammed and pop up with a 3-1 count and a guy on third with 1 out.

Really great job of getting out of that jam especially because McCrum didn’t seem to have great command and was missing badly.

What a bad swing by the FSU hitter to get jammed and pop up with a 3-1 count and a guy on third with 1 out.

Really great job of getting out of that jam especially because McCrum didn’t seem to have great command and was missing badly.
I’m only following along via the webcast so I’m not watching. I know McCrum had TJ last year so he hasn’t pitched since 2019. The rust isn’t super surprising, but it speaks to the confidence they have in him to run him out there in a high leverage spot like this early.

Reactions: pittjas
Wash gets thrown out at home on a single by Anderson. Bottom of the ninth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT