ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Baseball

Hard to really say because Sokol is (mostly) a very different guy now than he was in February and Evans was hurt this year before ACC play started.

Yeah, and like I said that's way too few innings to make any conclusion. I was just interested so I looked up the numbers and figured I'd post them.

Reactions: Pugs35
Does anyone know why the Cal Bears are here this weekend?

Seems more than just odd.....
They usually have a non-conference weekend series around this time every year. Cal is just a way better opponent than the Presbyterian, NC A&T, etc. opponents that they’ve usually scheduled for that spot.

They usually have a non-conference weekend series around this time every year. Cal is just a way better opponent than the Presbyterian, NC A&T, etc. opponents that they’ve usually scheduled for that spot.

Last year playing one of those teams killed our RPI so I'm thinking they wanted to avoid that this year. Not that it matters at this point.

Anyway Mosley is so frustrating to watch pitch.

Reactions: gary2 and pittchagg

Every ACC team has one weekend during the season where they play a non-conference opponent. Pitt always asks for their weekend to be the weekend of graduation (I assume most other schools do as well), and the ACC usually complies.

For example, NC State is playing the Citadel this weekend. Georgia Tech is playing Garner-Webb. Wake has games against Wofford and High Point. Next weekend Florida State is playing Mercer and Miami is playing Presbyterian. The following weekend Notre Dame is playing Akron and BC is playing Villanova.

Reactions: pittchagg
well the run of getting the the ACC playoffs was fun, juat don't see how this team competes on a year i year out basis against other ACC squads

Almost came to blows with gt yesterday.A couple gt jags did bat flips that they shouldn't have been doing at that point in the game.The second guy got tossed for the bat flip.Lost two of three in the series.wvcc up next on Wed.

well the run of getting the the ACC playoffs was fun, juat don't see how this team competes on a year i year out basis against other ACC squads

Boston College is ranked 20th in the country this week. UConn is 9th. The Hoopies are 12th. Pitt CAN compete in the ACC. I mean not with the current pitching staff. But if other northern schools can do it, so can Pitt.

Boston College is ranked 20th in the country this week. UConn is 9th. The Hoopies are 12th. Pitt CAN compete in the ACC. I mean not with the current pitching staff. But if other northern schools can do it, so can Pitt.
We seem to be able to recruit position players OK, but wow, when it comes to recruiting pitching.

Big 7-4 over Miami today.Good pitching,defense,and a grand slam by Hess paved the way.
So - we’re one game behind Ga Tech w 4 to play, tied w NC State and ahead of Louisville and Florida State to make the ACC tournament? Need to finish ahead of 2 of those 4 to finish in top 12 (?)

So - we’re one game behind Ga Tech w 4 to play, tied w NC State and ahead of Louisville and Florida State to make the ACC tournament? Need to finish ahead of 2 of those 4 to finish in top 12 (?)

Florida State can't finish ahead of us in the standings. They are 6-20, so their maximum is 10-20. We are 10-14, so our minimum is 10-18. In fact they have been eliminate, because they can't finish higher than anyone other than Louisville in the standings.

And by the way, what in the heck is going on with Florida State baseball? How on earth are they the worst team in the ACC?

Anyhoo, here is the relevant portion of current ACC standings, including this afternoon's games but not tonight's:

9: Virginia Tech 11-13 .458, Clemson tonight and tomorrow, Wake next weekend
10: Georgia Tech 11-15 .423, Duke tomorrow, Virginia next weekend
11: PITT 10-14 .417, Miami tomorrow, NC State next weekend
12: NC State 10-15 .400, Pitt next weekend
13: Louisville 9-16 .360, Virginia tonight and tomorrow, Florida State next weekend

We could still theoretically finish higher than 9th, but we would need to sweep our remaining games and have either BC, ND or NC lose all of theirs.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Florida State can't finish ahead of us in the standings. They are 6-20, so their maximum is 10-20. We are 10-14, so our minimum is 10-18. In fact they have been eliminate, because they can't finish higher than anyone other than Louisville in the standings.

And by the way, what in the heck is going on with Florida State baseball? How on earth are they the worst team in the ACC?

Anyhoo, here is the relevant portion of current ACC standings, including this afternoon's games but not tonight's:

9: Virginia Tech 11-13 .458, Clemson tonight and tomorrow, Wake next weekend
10: Georgia Tech 11-15 .423, Duke tomorrow, Virginia next weekend
11: PITT 10-14 .417, Miami tomorrow, NC State next weekend
12: NC State 10-15 .400, Pitt next weekend
13: Louisville 9-16 .360, Virginia tonight and tomorrow, Florida State next weekend

We could still theoretically finish higher than 9th, but we would need to sweep our remaining games and have either BC, ND or NC lose all of theirs.
So - basically can’t fall behind NC St AND Louisville to make ACC tournament?

So - basically can’t fall behind NC St AND Louisville to make ACC tournament?

Theoretically we could. For instance we go 1-3, NC State goes 2-1, Louisville goes 4-1 and those two are both ahead of us, but then Georgia Tech goes 0-4 and we'd be ahead of them and they'd be the other team out.

Clemson is up on Virginia Tech by five in the 7th inning. Assuming that Clemson wins (so I probably just jinxed them), the standings will look like this headed into next weekend:

9: Georgia Tech 12-15 .444, Virginia next weekend at home
10: Virginia Tech 11-15 .423, at Wake next weekend
11T: PITT 10-15 .400, at NC State next weekend
11T: NC State 10-15 .400, Pitt next weekend at home
13: Louisville 9-18 .333, Florida State next weekend at home

Win two next weekend and finish no worse than 11th. Win one and we will need Florida State to beat Louisville at least once, or have Wake sweep Virginia Tech.

And while I've been typing this Clemson has given Virginia Tech a couple runs so it's now a three run lead with Tech still batting in the 7th.

Pitt - 11
Psu - 3
Final

I went. Good night for the good guys. Actually got decent pitching for a change. Might have helped that the home plate umpire seemed to have a wide strike zone. A very wide strike zone.

Of course the nitter pitchers were throwing to the same wide strike zone, and it didn't help them at all.

Martinez, Funk and Hess all with homers.

Reactions: Hail2PittPanthers
I went. Good night for the good guys. Actually got decent pitching for a change. Might have helped that the home plate umpire seemed to have a wide strike zone. A very wide strike zone.

Of course the nitter pitchers were throwing to the same wide strike zone, and it didn't help them at all.

There is bound to be a big turnover in the roster next year.

Pitt has a ton of returning players who have played.

There are 7 freshmen who have not played.

There are currently 13 recruits scheduled to attend.

That amounts to about 50 players and you know one can expect(and need) a number of transfers in.

There is bound to be a big turnover in the roster next year.

Pitt has a ton of returning players who have played.

There are 7 freshmen who have not played.

There are currently 13 recruits scheduled to attend.

That amounts to about 50 players and you know one can expect(and need) a number of transfers in.

There better be a ton of turnover next year, because many of this team's best players aren't going to be here next year.

As long as the umpire establishes a strike zone and sticks to it, then I’m fine with it.

Reactions: jctrack
Hess, Duff, Bryan

Candelario and Heckert

More than those 5?

Martinez and Anderson are both seniors. Both are in their fourth season of playing. Although with the covid year they may both have eligibility left. But even if they do, are they certainly coming back?

Martinez and Anderson are both seniors. Both are in their fourth season of playing. Although with the covid year they may both have eligibility left. But even if they do, are they certainly coming back?
Are they likely draft picks? Anderson is local?

Are they likely draft picks? Anderson is local?

I can't imagine anyone on this team is a likely draft pick, unless they get picked as a senior who will sign for a really small bonus so a team can put all their extra slot money towards signing someone else.

Anderson went to Mars high school.

But remember, baseball is not a head count sport, so I can't imagine that there is anyone on this team who is on anything even close to a full scholarship. If someone has graduated, will they want to come back and pay what it costs for them to attend school for another year if they already have a degree?

I'm not saying anyone will or won't leave. I'm just saying that if, for instance, one or both of those guys doesn't come back we certainly shouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: gary2
I can't imagine anyone on this team is a likely draft pick, unless they get picked as a senior who will sign for a really small bonus so a team can put all their extra slot money towards signing someone else.

Anderson went to Mars high school.

But remember, baseball is not a head count sport, so I can't imagine that there is anyone on this team who is on anything even close to a full scholarship. If someone has graduated, will they want to come back and pay what it costs for them to attend school for another year if they already have a degree?

I'm not saying anyone will or won't leave. I'm just saying that if, for instance, one or both of those guys doesn't come back we certainly shouldn't be surprised.
There is a lot of turnover every year. Seems players leave for many reasons.

Seems because of numbers alone, there will have to be more this year. Like: I doubt all 13 current recruits enroll.

I don’t think Anderson has eligibility left. He played 2 seasons at Northwestern (19 and 20), 21 at a JUCO and last 2 seasons here.

Martinez has 1 left if he wants to use it. It would be nice if he stayed 1 more. He is a really good all around player.

Reactions: Pugs35 and gary2
I don’t think Anderson has eligibility left. He played 2 seasons at Northwestern (19 and 20), 21 at a JUCO and last 2 seasons here.

Martinez has 1 left if he wants to use it. It would be nice if he stayed 1 more. He is a really good all around player.
Thanks for the info

I don't know what was up with Martinez. Perfect Game says he was Class of 2017 kid but CC State doesn't show him on the roster until 2020 (and he didn't play any games that year). So maybe he has a year or maybe not. But he did take part in SR Day for what it's worth.

Anderson, Devereux, Long, Martinez, Duff, Bryan, Candelario, Barto and Hess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT