ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt coaching salaries

Makes no difference at all if the public knows the salaries.

If we have good coaches and they stick around, that tells you all you need to know. Plus, coaches talk. Agents talk. They will have a good idea of what Pitt is paying.

Pitt released Dixon's, Narduzzi's as well. I've tried to find out asst coaches but had no luck. Like everything in pitt's athletic dept, it's handled as some sort of top secret info.

Reactions: Drax1975
Pitt doesn't release salaries. They are listed in Pitt's tax filings as the university is required to list the 10 highest paid faculty members.

All the top programs list what they pay, including assistants. Nothing wrong for putting out what should be public information. Only reason to hide is not to show how far down the scale they are.
It's good to have them listed, so the fans can know if they really care about winning or not.

You can usually tell for assistants if they jump ship quick especially laterally.
Seems like we lose one every year, some even before they coached a down.

All the top programs list what they pay, including assistants. Nothing wrong for putting out what should be public information. Only reason to hide is not to show how far down the scale they are.

Agree, the hc is going to be published at some point anyway.

Come on, what actual pitt fan would want that? I rather it stay hidden, slightly better chance of keeping them here.

Agreed though if it sucked they would go elsewhere

I think Conklin will definitely get a bump in pay

So What. If they are unhappy they can move on. If Pitt really thinks they are not replaceable, they will come up with more money.

It's good to have them listed, so the fans can know if they really care about winning or not.

Even if they are higher, most here would probably bitch they are paying to much!

LOL, that's a Stupid Yinzer thing! Like Pirates fans happy that the Nuttings find cheaper alternatives in a sport that doesn't have a salary cap!.

Reactions: TD_istheman
Ironically, mine is public. Since I work for a public entity.

I just can't figure out what anyone thinks that knowing the assistant coaches salaries will tell us. If an assistant is doing a good job, who cares how much he is paid? You can always pay more going forward for good performance, it's not like there is a limit on raising guy's salaries or something. And if an assistant is not doing a good job, who cares how much he is paid? If he isn't doing a good job he's not worth whatever salary he's making, and we ought to be looking to replace him. So at the end of the day, what difference does it make?

This is something I would say to troll the Yinzers, but I can't tell if that's the goal here or not.....

I don't know, anybody who thinks that how much a school pays doesn't in some way reflect how much they care about winning is pretty damn stupid.

I mean, if a school decides to lure Nick Saban out of 'Bama with a $10 million offer, I'd say they are more serious than a school that hires Saban's O-line coach for $600K.

I don't know, anybody who thinks that how much a school pays doesn't in some way reflect how much they care about winning is pretty damn stupid.

I mean, if a school decides to lure Nick Saban out of 'Bama with a $10 million offer, I'd say they are more serious than a school that hires Saban's O-line coach for $600K.

I think it says they have more resources provided to them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Similarly, anyone who thinks it's their right to know how much Pitt is paying to their assistants is also pretty damn stupid.

Reactions: CrazyPaco
I think it says they have more resources provided to them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not really, there are people with resources who just choose to spend less. Like the Nuttings, I read they are the 8th richest MLB owners, but winning is less of a priority than squeezing out more profit. There are people with resources that choose to spend less, and I think Pitt's been in that boat for the last couple decades. Could spend more, just don't.

Not really, there are people with resources who just choose to spend less. Like the Nuttings, I read they are the 8th richest MLB owners, but winning is less of a priority than squeezing out more profit. There are people with resources that choose to spend less, and I think Pitt's been in that boat for the last couple decades. Could spend more, just don't.

I have never understood the personal wealth angle with regards to sports teams. That feels a lot like pointing to the endowment of Pitt -- the 2 things are completely and totally unrelated.

Pitt has operated their Athletic Department at a loss for decades. The Pirates have invested very heavily in areas that are far more important to their competitiveness as a franchise than major league payroll (chiefly the draft, the minors, their proprietary analytics system and analytics department, and the Dominican facilities). As with anything, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Reactions: OriginalEther
I have never understood the personal wealth angle with regards to sports teams. That feels a lot like pointing to the endowment of Pitt -- the 2 things are completely and totally unrelated.

Makes sense to me. Some owners buy their teams for ego, or as a toy and will throw their personal wealth into it to make playing with it more fun. I'm sure some of these SEC type football factories do the same, because their alumni care that much. So the "personal wealth angle" is valid to look at.

Makes sense to me. Some owners buy their teams for ego, or as a toy and will throw their personal wealth into it to make playing with it more fun. I'm sure some of these SEC type football factories do the same, because their alumni care that much. So the "personal wealth angle" is valid to look at.

The SEC football factories do it because their fans give them an unbelievable amount of money. Not because they value their alumni more. The 12th Man Foundation (Texas A&M's donor club) brought in $271.5 million in 2013 alone. If you believe Forbes' numbers, that's about $40MM more than the Pirates brought in. Alabama donors are pretty much paying for Nick Saban's mansion. Could you imagine Pitt fans doing that? They couldn't even sell out in the 70's and 80's, let alone get donations that were competitive with the nationally relevant college football programs.

The only real case I've seen for owners consistently subsidizing their teams out of pocket is in the NBA, and that has been met with heavy skepticism. Everything else has just been mythological chutzpah, and the NBA's posturing likely is as well with the owners wanting to take back a larger revenue stake from the players. There's a reason that MLB spending follows in near lock-step with what the team's TV deal and media rights are. Owners don't want to lose money, so the baseline is what their fixed income amount is.

Reactions: OriginalEther
In the SEC they give their money to their college of choose. In Pittsburgh they give their money to the Rooneys

Reactions: jaebree422
Nail on the head!

Pitt has operated their Athletic Department at a loss for decades. The Pirates have invested very heavily in areas that are far more important to their competitiveness as a franchise than major league payroll (chiefly the draft, the minors, their proprietary analytics system and analytics department, and the Dominican facilities). As with anything, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Go get re evaluated at Western Psych please.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT