ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt hired the wrong Cignetti

Gunga_Galunga

Heisman Candidate
Jan 12, 2017
Curt seems to be a really good coach and is having a lot of success at JMU. His offense has been pretty good and every QB they've brought in there has played very well, including Dinucci. Don't know if he had any interest in being an OC at a P5 school years ago, but that ship has sailed.

Which brings the conversation to guy many have been talking about, Pitt's own Mike Shanahan. He's been working under Curt since 2016 at IUP. He's been a WR coach at IUP and Elon. WR coach and recruiting coordinator at JMU, and now in his 3rd year as OC. In their two years in FBS, his offenses were 24th ('22) and 37th ('23) in total offense.

One concern could be how much is Curt and how much is Shanny, but he's likely to have picked up a lot from the guy over the last 8 or 9 years. Would he be comfortable replacing one of his former coaches and the brother of his coaching mentor? I'd sure hope so, and if he can convince the QB McCloud to come and use his Covid year, even better.

Curt seems to be a really good coach and is having a lot of success at JMU. His offense has been pretty good and every QB they've brought in there has played very well, including Dinucci. Don't know if he had any interest in being an OC at a P5 school years ago, but that ship has sailed.

Which brings the conversation to guy many have been talking about, Pitt's own Mike Shanahan. He's been working under Curt since 2016 at IUP. He's been a WR coach at IUP and Elon. WR coach and recruiting coordinator at JMU, and now in his 3rd year as OC. In their two years in FBS, his offenses were 24th ('22) and 37th ('23) in total offense.

One concern could be how much is Curt and how much is Shanny, but he's likely to have picked up a lot from the guy over the last 8 or 9 years. Would he be comfortable replacing one of his former coaches and the brother of his coaching mentor? I'd sure hope so, and if he can convince the QB McCloud to come and use his Covid year, even better.
I think McCloud would really struggle at this level.

Dukes have some mojo going on. Hoops team took down Sparty last night.

Reactions: columbus mike
i saw McCloud play in person at Marshall last month. Very short & trouble throwing over the line & across the middle. Reminded me of his QB coach Tino.

I think McCloud would really struggle at this level.

Dukes have some mojo going on. Hoops team took down Sparty last night.
He's better than what they currently have, and I question how much better they'll do better in the portal.

He's better than what they currently have, and I question how much better they'll do better in the portal.
That's probably just a matter of Veilleux getting more reps.

McCloud is great running RPO behind a dominant OL. I just don't think he's a P5 QB. He really doesn't have much arm strength and he can't stretch.

In fact, watching the Dukes against UVA, it was obvious McCloud doesn't have anywhere near the arm strength as Anthony Colandrea. (who I think would be perfect at JMU after McCloud)

That's probably just a matter of Veilleux getting more reps.

McCloud is great running RPO behind a dominant OL. I just don't think he's a P5 QB. He really doesn't have much arm strength and he can't stretch.

In fact, watching the Dukes against UVA, it was obvious McCloud doesn't have anywhere near the arm strength as Anthony Colandrea. (who I think would be perfect at JMU after McCloud)
Veilleux can't hit the broad side of a barn. A strong arm isn't worth anything if you can't throw it where you want. I have my doubts that's ever going to improve much.

We've got a guy who isn't much of a runner that can't throw accurately. Need someone better next year.

Reactions: PITTstorm
Veilleux can't hit the broad side of a barn. A strong arm isn't worth anything if you can't throw it where you want. I have my doubts that's ever going to improve much.

We've got a guy who isn't much of a runner that can't throw accurately. Need someone better next year.
QB play definitely has to be better next year. Much better, obviously. I'm just not convinced CV can't be that guy. Not saying he is, but I'm not ready to write him off either.

At times, he puts the ball exactly where he wants it to go. Not anywhere near as consistently as it takes to be effective at this level, but we've caught glimpses of it. Accuracy is something that should improve with time and more reps. Even Joe Milton has improved his accuracy.

I thought for sure this was going to be a thread suggesting that if we hired senior, who is, in fact, dead, that it would have been a better hire than junior.

I was going to agree.

;)
Was he buried with a different piece of the hallowed WVU goal post?

Only Pitt would hire such a guy whose greatest moment in life was his family beating us, and not only hiring him once but twice

Was he buried with a different piece of the hallowed WVU goal post?

Only Pitt would hire such a guy whose greatest moment in life was his family beating us, and not only hiring him once but twice
This year has been a trainwreck.

However, going into this season, Pitt has averaged 9 wins each year Cignetti has served as OC. Just pointing that out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT