ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt hires Kelly Brennan

So far, her performance at Pitt has not been stellar. Reference the wrestling coach hiring debacle.

Was it really a debacle?

She also landed one of the largest football specific donations in the history of Pitt.

I think it's far to early to judge anything.
I don't think it was a debacle.
Some blamed her for not getting the guy from Lehigh or Edinboro and said that she screwed up what Juhl and Gallagher had in place. She was 2 weeks on the job and if it truly was a done deal no way do they let her mess it up. And if she worked for me and undermined what I did she would be gone.

Based on what others were saying about the new coach it seemed like a solid hire.

Sorry, but they are the same.

Feel free to lie to yourself, but not to me.
I'm sorry, just what am I lying about? That there were threads here criticizing Barnes staff soon after being hired? I must have missed them. :rolleyes: Actually these boards were glowing. The disdain came a lot later.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I'm sorry, just what am I lying about? That there were threads here criticizing Barnes staff soon after being hired? I must have missed them. :rolleyes: Actually these boards were glowing. The disdain came a lot later.
You're definitely correct. There was earnest enthusiasm for Barnes upon his hire. A guy supposedly good at fund raising with a basketball background. We seemed on good (hopeful, anyway) footing with football with Narduzzi already while basketball looked to be the sport in trouble, so Barnes hire looked really good on paper at that time. It was similar to Todd Graham hire. Of course in both cases, they could barely have turned out worse, but there wasn't reason to expect that at the time (unlike, say the Haywood or Stallings hires).

I certainly didn't pay two seconds attention who Barnes hired for his staff. Nor would I have paid attention to who Lyke hires either, if not for this thousand-post thread (not hard to tell its in between both sports seasons). In both cases you just assume the AD would bring in his/her own people.

So why only now do you clarify and narrow your original broad comment?

It wasn't me who misunderstood, it was you who miscommunicated.

You have a habit of doing this. And also, the lie comment was more about you justifying your wrong words than you being a viscous liar. My mom does that sometimes. I have experience with such behavior.

im still confused by the comment stating we had "earnest enthusiasm" over this hire..

So why only now do you clarify and narrow your original broad comment?

It wasn't me who misunderstood, it was you who miscommunicated.

You have a habit of doing this. And also, the lie comment was more about you justifying your wrong words than you being a viscous liar. My mom does that sometimes. I have experience with such behavior.
With all due respect, I have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about. Either you're drunk or your reading comprehension is slipping. Here is my ORIGINAL post. It's pretty clear exactly what I'm commenting about. Also, given your clear disdain for my posts, I'd ignore them from now on, something I plan to do with yours.

"Agree - I don't remember reading any threads here when Barnes was hired criticizing who he brought in.

If life was just about hiring people at the highest level, well, candidates would quickly dry out. In corporate USA, (in even any entrepreneurial-based careers too), people are at all different stages of their career. There is nothing wrong with hiring people who are on their way up. The EMU disdain is cracking me up.

Like you said if her choices don't work out, they'll eventually get fired. It's the way the world works."

With all due respect, I have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about. Either you're drunk or your reading comprehension is slipping. Here is my ORIGINAL post. It's pretty clear exactly what I'm commenting about. Also, given your clear disdain for my posts, I'd ignore them from now on, something I plan to do with yours.

"Agree - I don't remember reading any threads here when Barnes was hired criticizing who he brought in.

If life was just about hiring people at the highest level, well, candidates would quickly dry out. In corporate USA, (in even any entrepreneurial-based careers too), people are at all different stages of their career. There is nothing wrong with hiring people who are on their way up. The EMU disdain is cracking me up.

Like you said if her choices don't work out, they'll eventually get fired. It's the way the world works."
Your same insulting style. I have seen your posts; you can be very nice, but only when you are not challenged.

Barnes was only here a short time, the search firm and coach were quite quick into his tenure. He was hammered for that. He is still criticized for it.

Also, people here also commented heavily about both of their previous accomplishments. One had more experience, one has not as much relevant experience. But we saw how the crony thing worked with Barnes. You think that could weigh into these criticisms?

Also, I think people here expected a big hitter. Or something that indicates a big hitter. While she may turn out to be awesome, the big hitter thing definitely is not indicated here.

As I said, I hope she is a home run. But we are jaded Pitt fans. We are used to let downs.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Your same insulting style. I have seen your posts; you can be very nice, but only when you are not challenged.

Barnes was only here a short time, the search firm and coach were quite quick into his tenure. He was hammered for that. He is still criticized for it.

Also, people here also commented heavily about both of their previous accomplishments. One had more experience, one has not as much relevant experience. But we saw how the crony thing worked with Barnes. You think that could weigh into these criticisms?

Also, I think people here expected a big hitter. Or something that indicates a big hitter. While she may turn out to be awesome, the big hitter thing definitely is not indicated here.

As I said, I hope she is a home run. But we are jaded Pitt fans. We are used to let downs.
Agreed!
From what I've noticed so far Lyke isn't even hitting singles let alone being a "big hitter."
I have three sets of football season tickets and we haven't heard a word from the new AD? We're not in Pittsburgh but I would expect to hear something from Wonder Woman?
The simple wrestling HC hire wasn't handled well.
If I were Lyke I'd be giving monthly addresses to PITT fans on the radio, and in print!
And now we get an EMU hire?
How about finding someone from an accomplished P5 U who understands P5 athletics, and excellence in managing U sports.
At this time Lyke's grade is a C- on the border of a BIG D!
And now we get an EMU hire

AGAIN - I point you to the OP. It clearly is referencing Lykes current hire from someone on her EMU staff. That is what I commented on.

AGAIN - I point you to the OP. It clearly is referencing Lykes current hire from someone on her EMU staff. That is what I commented on.
But Barnes was absolutely scrutinized from the start. It may have been different criticisms or maybe even excitement, but it happened.

And again, Barnes was hammered hard for his crony crap. And that was crap. It was all kinds of bad news for him to throw bones to his friends.

The new AD is getting exactly the same. She is just doing more of it.

But Barnes was absolutely scrutinized from the start. It may have been different criticisms or maybe even excitement, but it happened.

And again, Barnes was hammered hard for his crony crap. And that was crap. It was all kinds of bad news for him to throw bones to his friends.

The new AD is getting exactly the same. She is just doing more of it.
Scrutinized perhaps (and I'm not sure why scrutiny is a bad thing), but I think given that he replaced one of the most unpopular AD's in the history of the school, he was widely embraced. I still remember the tours he and Narduzzi made to various cities. It was received very positively.

Perhaps there are others here who could refresh my memory that he was criticized for any of his initial personnel decisions?

Ok. Continue to narrow it down. ;)

And do these still count as initial hires? She has been on the job for a while.

Could it be that The Barnes situation is making people more worried about this new hire? Could we be seeing the same patterns? Is there evidence of bad management already? Could you be seeking the answers that justify your mindset?

I think a yes could be defended for each of those questions.

Ok. Continue to narrow it down. ;)

And do these still count as initial hires? She has been on the job for a while.

Could it be that The Barnes situation is making people more worried about this new hire? Could we be seeing the same patterns? Is there evidence of bad management already? Could you be seeking the answers that justify your mindset?

I think a yes could be defended for each of those questions.
I am not narrowing anything down. This is ridiculous.

I will once again copy/paste my exact comment. I have not said anything different from this. If you disagree that is your right. Have at it! But stop spinning this in circles.

I am not narrowing anything down. This is ridiculous.

I will once again copy/paste my exact comment. I have not said anything different from this. If you disagree that is your right. Have at it! But stop spinning this in circles.

Passive aggressive again.

Just like my mom.

Scrutinized perhaps (and I'm not sure why scrutiny is a bad thing), but I think given that he replaced one of the most unpopular AD's in the history of the school, he was widely embraced. I still remember the tours he and Narduzzi made to various cities. It was received very positively.

Perhaps there are others here who could refresh my memory that he was criticized for any of his initial personnel decisions?

Refresh my memory...exactly who on the AD staff did Barnes hire? My memory is that he largely kept the staff that was in place...but perhaps with the "revolving door" I missed something? Hail to Pitt!

Agreed!
From what I've noticed so far Lyke isn't even hitting singles let alone being a "big hitter."
I have three sets of football season tickets and we haven't heard a word from the new AD? We're not in Pittsburgh but I would expect to hear something from Wonder Woman?
The simple wrestling HC hire wasn't handled well.
If I were Lyke I'd be giving monthly addresses to PITT fans on the radio, and in print!
And now we get an EMU hire?
How about finding someone from an accomplished P5 U who understands P5 athletics, and excellence in managing U sports.
At this time Lyke's grade is a C- on the border of a BIG D!
And now we get an EMU hire

With three sets of season tickets you expect to hit the radar of a brand new AD? Were you hoping for a lunch or dinner invitation? LOL...unless you are donating significant sums of cash to match those tickets...you will likely have to live with being in a later phase of any new AD's plan. I personally know that she is reaching out to fans with hand written letters, emails, phone calls and meetings. Precisely what I would expect any new AD to do. It is pretty normal to focus on your most important fans first. I have no idea whether the new AD will be successful or not...but criticizing her out of the gate seems terribly unfair. Give the woman a few years to see what she can do. From where I sit, there is plenty of room for improvement to be had. I support her and wish her well...and intend to do what I can to assist in making her a great success at Pitt! Hail to Pitt!

With three sets of season tickets you expect to hit the radar of a brand new AD? Were you hoping for a lunch or dinner invitation? LOL...unless you are donating significant sums of cash to match those tickets...you will likely have to live with being in a later phase of any new AD's plan. I personally know that she is reaching out to fans with hand written letters, emails, phone calls and meetings. Precisely what I would expect any new AD to do. It is pretty normal to focus on your most important fans first. I have no idea whether the new AD will be successful or not...but criticizing her out of the gate seems terribly unfair. Give the woman a few years to see what she can do. From where I sit, there is plenty of room for improvement to be had. I support her and wish her well...and intend to do what I can to assist in making her a great success at Pitt! Hail to Pitt!

I agree she should address the big money boosters/fans first.
It seems quite easy to keep everyone else "plugged in ", since we do have the low quality but available USPostal Service who could deliver mass mailing to season ticket holders and last I checked " Al Gores Internet " is still functioning?
How about a simple letter, PITT sports updates, radio address, something simple like for the "other" PITT "low level" fans who I bet out number the large donors. If Lyke is smart she should be planning on moving the large number of "low level" fans to a higher level rather than ignore them.
At this time PITT needs to keep every existing season ticket holder and build on that base.
Keeping and adding lots of smaller PITT donors can eventually add up to more fans and real money!
Making those same fans unhappy will probably have the opposite effect which isnt a good thing!
Living 300 miles away ( 600 rt did the math for you so you didnt have to waste the time of an intern to figure it out) from Pittsburgh makes every home game and away game for us including travel, Northshore hotel, food, beverages, tolls. Its expensive being a PITT fan if you dont live in town but its worth i t!
Plus we use just one set of tickets and give two away to people at our tailgate who dont buy tickets for whatever reason!
Since we go the extra mile to attend all home games Mrs Buffett and I expect alot of the PITT sports management team which hasnt produced much ( although somehow football is on a good track) in our opinion in a long time. We'll see how Lyke does but so far its a slow in our opinion!

Why not try a few PITT sports " town hall " meetings. I'd travel to Pittsburgh for one of those.
Being "ole school" I love the chance to listen, watch the person speak, and ask questions directly to the presenter so I can watch and see if those beady little eyes look me back in the eye or wander off to the right or left upper corner of the room. You all know what that means?

Last edited:
I agree she should address the big money boosters/fans first.
It seems quite easy to keep everyone else "plugged in ", since we do have the low quality but available USPostal Service who could deliver mass mailing to season ticket holders and last I checked " Al Gores Internet " is still functioning?
How about a simple letter, PITT sports updates, radio address, something simple like for the "other" PITT "low level" fans who I bet out number the large donors. If Lyke is smart she should be planning on moving the large number of "low level" fans to a higher level rather than ignore them.
At this time PITT needs to keep every existing season ticket holder and build on that base.
Keeping and adding lots of smaller PITT donors can eventually add up to more fans and real money!
Making those same fans unhappy will probably have the opposite effect which isnt a good thing!
Living 300 miles away ( 600 rt did the math for you so you didnt have to waste the time of an intern to figure it out) from Pittsburgh makes every home game and away game for us including travel, Northshore hotel, food, beverages, tolls. Its expensive being a PITT fan if you dont live in town but its worth i t!
Plus we use just one set of tickets and give two away to people at our tailgate who dont buy tickets for whatever reason!
Since we go the extra mile to attend all home games Mrs Buffett and I expect alot of the PITT sports management team which hasnt produced much ( although somehow football is on a good track) in our opinion in a long time. We'll see how Lyke does but so far its a slow in our opinion!

Why not try a few PITT sports " town hall " meetings. I'd travel to Pittsburgh for one of those.
Being "ole school" I love the chance to listen, watch the person speak, and ask questions directly to the presenter so I can watch and see if those beady little eyes look me back in the eye or wander off to the right or left upper corner of the room. You all know what that means?

I suspect AD Lyke has every intention of keeping season ticket holders and fans informed and "plugged in" when it comes to all things Panther athletics. School is not in session and the teams are not playing. Precisely what would you like to hear about? There have been several emails I received about her hire and news about athletics since her hire on March 20. Perhaps you should visit <www.pittsburghpanthers.com> The Pitt Ticket Office has been very active in calling season football and basketball ticket holders about tickets not renewed or about changes in parking--and that is precisely who should be making those calls--certainly not the AD. Pitt athletics is about the kids in our uniforms, not the administrators that try to maximize their experiences while playing for Pitt. Any AD that attempts to make themselves the focus or center of attention--is not doing their job. My suggestion is to stay involved, be supportive...and perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised. If not, you can go back to bitching about it. Hail to Pitt!

FWIW.......

i was at an event recently where i met a Board of Trustees member. This person mentioned and I quote......."I have been here since Oval Jaynes....and she is the most impressive AD we have had here since then.....I am highly impressed with Ms Lyke"

Now.......this trustee may just be blowing a little smoke up the hind parts of a long time donor........but my hunch is this is a sincere statement.

i concur with PITTLAW........she should be supported going forward.

FWIW.......

i was at an event recently where i met a Board of Trustees member. This person mentioned and I quote......."I have been here since Oval Jaynes....and she is the most impressive AD we have had here since then.....I am highly impressed with Ms Lyke"

Now.......this trustee may just be blowing a little smoke up the hind parts of a long time donor........but my hunch is this is a sincere statement.

i concur with PITTLAW........she should be supported going forward.
Agree!!!!!

Refresh my memory...exactly who on the AD staff did Barnes hire? My memory is that he largely kept the staff that was in place...but perhaps with the "revolving door" I missed something? Hail to Pitt!
I'd have to go back and check myself. My point was that Barnes never got the amount of criticism that Lyke has already encountered so early in his employment. Shoot - the meet and greets with Barnes, Narduzzi and Dixon were almost reverential to be honest (and I attended a couple of them). I'm not sure why having her bring in some of her own people should be such a surprise. It happens all the time in many industries.

As I said, it will either work or not and if that's they case they'll be fired.

Reactions: Chaos

He brought in one administrator, shipped out one administrator, and the person he brought in wasn't previously connected to him in any way.

You're m
Your doing Pitt law justice...pun intended.

I'd have to go back and check myself. My point was that Barnes never got the amount of criticism that Lyke has already encountered so early in his employment. Shoot - the meet and greets with Barnes, Narduzzi and Dixon were almost reverential to be honest (and I attended a couple of them). I'm not sure why having her bring in some of her own people should be such a surprise. It happens all the time in many industries.

The premise of my point was that Barnes really did not do much hiring...consequently, there was little to criticize. He managed to draw plenty of fire for his one big hire...which I am sure he would trade for the hiring of his staff. I certainly agree with the premise that people tend to hire those that they have a comfort level with or familiarity. Nothing wrong with that...provided they ultimately perform. I'd say 2-3 years would be adequate to at least have an informed discussion on the new AD and how her team is performing. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: ThePanthers
While nothing inherently wrong with hiring 2 people away from her former employer, it does indicate the process was closed and excellent candidates were excluded. Not a good sign.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
While nothing inherently wrong with hiring 2 people away from her former employer, it does indicate the process was closed and excellent candidates were excluded. Not a good sign.

Says who? How do you know what kind of a interview or recruiting process was undertaken? Ultimately, if the higher-ups at Pitt trusted Lyke to hire her as the AD....you have to trust her in who she wants to hire for her staff. Much like Narduzzi...you let the guy hire and fire his staff...until he proves he is not able to do so. Unless HR procedures at Pitt were not followed, all job hires require a posting of the position. Unless you have evidence to the contrary...I'd give it a rest and see how the new AD performs. Hail to Pitt!

Says who? How do you know what kind of a interview or recruiting process was undertaken? Ultimately, if the higher-ups at Pitt trusted Lyke to hire her as the AD....you have to trust her in who she wants to hire for her staff. Much like Narduzzi...you let the guy hire and fire his staff...until he proves he is not able to do so. Unless HR procedures at Pitt were not followed, all job hires require a posting of the position. Unless you have evidence to the contrary...I'd give it a rest and see how the new AD performs. Hail to Pitt!
Clueless some of you are.

The premise of my point was that Barnes really did not do much hiring...consequently, there was little to criticize. He managed to draw plenty of fire for his one big hire...which I am sure he would trade for the hiring of his staff. I certainly agree with the premise that people tend to hire those that they have a comfort level with or familiarity. Nothing wrong with that...provided they ultimately perform. I'd say 2-3 years would be adequate to at least have an informed discussion on the new AD and how her team is performing. Hail to Pitt!
So we have to wait 2-3 years to determine if Lyke is the right person for the AD job at PITT????
High performance people hired into new key management positions usually make " splash" impacts, significant program, personnel changes, or announce short and long range program plans in the first three months.
I dont consider adding personnel from EMU ?? a significant personnel upgrade or add, and I dont remember hearing much about what Lyke's new programs or plans are.
Sounds like the legal world moves at the pace of the government so I guess we'll just sit around and wait 2-3 years until Lyke tells us what she plans to do and accomplish!
Sounds like the PITT PACE! LOL!

Last edited:

Its not a surprise as you said it happens alot!
But most of the time when key people are hired they come from high performing entities which is one of the reasons for the hire. Organizations hope the new person will bring long talented people from the previous "hot" place to the new stuggling place like PITT.
EMU is a struggling MAC U hardly a place PITT wants to model? If it is we're in worse shape than I thought!

So we have to wait 2-3 years to determine if Lyke is the right person for the AD job at PITT????
High performance people hired into new key management positions usually make " splash" impacts, significant program, personnel changes, or announce short and long range program plans in the first three months.
I dont consider adding personnel from EMU ?? a significant personnel upgrade or add, and I dont remember hearing much about what Lyke's new programs or plans are.
Sounds like the legal world moves at the pace of the government so I guess we'll just sit around and wait 2-3 years until Lyke tells us what she plans to do and accomplish!
Sounds like the PITT PACE! LOL!

What precisely do you think the AD should be doing? What short and long term changes should have been made already? Any examples of a <3 month AD that made an impact? Lyke was hired to replace someone that left...she is not replacing someone that is/was fired. The new AD will be measured by the success of the programs she administers...and that will certainly take at least one year of play on the field and courts, etc. and at least one year of fundraising. Not sure if you actually know what an AD does?

Even if she wanted to hire all new coaches for every team and build a new on campus football stadium....she does not have the money or authority to do that. So yes, in reality it is going to take several years to know whether it was a good hire or not. The legal world moves at many paces...when it comes to the courts...litigants are at the mercy of the judges...otherwise, it really is up to the client...if they have the money to make it happen...things can happen lightning fast. I am sensing some unrealistic expectations and double standards...which I hope are not just window dressing to hide discrimination and sexism. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: ThePanthers
What precisely do you think the AD should be doing? What short and long term changes should have been made already? Any examples of a <3 month AD that made an impact? Lyke was hired to replace someone that left...she is not replacing someone that is/was fired. The new AD will be measured by the success of the programs she administers...and that will certainly take at least one year of play on the field and courts, etc. and at least one year of fundraising. Not sure if you actually know what an AD does?

Even if she wanted to hire all new coaches for every team and build a new on campus football stadium....she does not have the money or authority to do that. So yes, in reality it is going to take several years to know whether it was a good hire or not. The legal world moves at many paces...when it comes to the courts...litigants are at the mercy of the judges...otherwise, it really is up to the client...if they have the money to make it happen...things can happen lightning fast. I am sensing some unrealistic expectations and double standards...which I hope are not just window dressing to hide discrimination and sexism. Hail to Pitt!
How about announcing some new programs to generate fan interest. Will she wait until the opening kickoff to announce stuff like that.

Have you heard of new ideas ? New hires usually bring those to a new organization? Well if she has any this is a perfect time to share some of that information! Email! Mailing! Personal Text Messages! etc. Even if people are on vacation PITT fans will atleast have some idea of whats to come. Why keep it a secret unless you dont have much to offer?

People make plans for September now.
I book all my home game hotels about 10 months ahead. Many aren't that prompt but if we're to increase attendance telling people about stuff in August or September is to late!
Getting back to the 2-3 yr comment. In our business a new top executive better be "killing it" in the first 3 months, certainly 6 months , or he or she doesnt get to stay 2-3 years.\

Sexism? It's just like all the other ism's for you losers! Its so easy to throw that stuff out since the " low information" posters bite on that stuff since many arent smart enough to think for themselves.

As I've said before I report to a C Suite woman the CFO, and 3 of my top five global directors are women. Fyi the C Suite female CFO is a 56 yr old single woman, never been married, smart, driven, great boss, GameCocks softball player, CPA, MBA, CMA, CEO material, impossible to keep up with, and we've worked together for ten years! Plus I've been married to a woman for 32 years who runs her own small media business and is very involved in helping younger women start businesses which I assist in too! Hate successful women I dont think so!

Gender isnt an issue competence and accomplishments are so I hope Lyke can get things moving.

If Lyke is up for the tuff PITT AD job she's going to have to start generating some new stuff soon or it'll be business as usual.

Narduzzi will put a winning team on the field but I'm sure he'd like some help filling up Heinz!

My prediction Stallings will be her longer than Lyke!
We'll see won't we. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it since I'm not wrong much!

The key issue at PITT is the track record is terrible and the only way to fix that is to hire someone who is willing and capable of making positive changes. Waiting, waiting!

Last edited:
Reactions: wendel1
Had to show ignore content to see who Pittlaw kept responding to. Makes sense now.

I'm 100% sure some people on this site don't like me and I'm 100% sure that I don't care!

Good for you its your loss!

I dont post on here to make friends I have plenty of those who I actually like.

If you respond to this than you're a typical BS artist similar to most on the free board since you had me on IGNORE. LOL! I love you people who only like posts which you agree with?

Since the special election in GA I've been laughing my Ossoff!

Reactions: wendel1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT