ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt included 48 team expansion scenario

To each his own, but I think you're in a minority now, and will remain so if a "premier" league comes to be, as far as viewing habits.
In American football the premier league is the NFL, and to me watching fake college teams wearing college logos and colors but just minor league teams isn't appealing, college football was never appealing to me because they had the best players and talent, it was always about my state vs your state, my school vs your school, north vs south, stuff like that is why I liked it. These college teams will just be free agents on one-year contracts with a loose affiliation to the school, maybe taking 2-3 classes for show, they won't be Pitt men or Nitters or Buckeyes in the traditional sense.

Reactions: BTisinDC
Who cares? I prefer college basketball over NBA by 1000 miles, and in today's game hardly any make the NBA compared to back in the day. I also like weird stuff like Army and Navy offenses, I wouldn't want Pitt or the Steelers play that way, but it's interesting to watch especially the way they almost never punt. But Pitt and the Steelers I want to spread the field and throw and go fast. Even with Pitt, I don't care if they make the NFL at all, I'm just watching them to play for Pitt. When I'm watching college football, I'm just watching the game, not thinking "wow? who's going to the NFL?"

As I said, to each his own. I like the Army/Navy game, but I prefer to see the stars play as opposed to a steady diet of lesser teams.

Army and Navy rarely punt? Never noticed, but then again I usually only see them play once a year.

In American football the premier league is the NFL, and to me watching fake college teams wearing college logos and colors but just minor league teams isn't appealing, college football was never appealing to me because they had the best players and talent, it was always about my state vs your state, my school vs your school, north vs south, stuff like that is why I liked it. These college teams will just be free agents on one-year contracts with a loose affiliation to the school, maybe taking 2-3 classes for show, they won't be Pitt men or Nitters or Buckeyes in the traditional sense.

I can agree with most of that. College ball isn't what it once was.

How is it you watch the XFL (or whatever its called now)? Isn't that unaffiliated minor league football?

I agree. It's kind of like that now. However, I think once the SEC and BIG lockout everyone else, they can adjust the rules to make them mimic a traditional college experience. It will still be wink wink nudge nudge from many of the top players, but they will have to pretend because there will be no other big time option before the NFL.

I can agree with most of that. College ball isn't what it once was.

How is it you watch the XFL (or whatever its called now)? Isn't that unaffiliated minor league football?
Yeah, but that's what it's openly saying it is, it's not a minor league where teams use logos and colors and pretend, they are part of universities, that's what it's becoming, these players have no real ties, it's already to the point that guys play for 3-4 teams in their careers, where will they go for homecoming 30 years from now :). I don't care at all about quality of play, I watch minor league sports all the time.

Last edited:
As I said, to each his own. I like the Army/Navy game, but I prefer to see the stars play as opposed to a steady diet of lesser teams.

Army and Navy rarely punt? Never noticed, but then again I usually only see them play once a year.
All college teams are lesser teams, NFL is major league to see stars that's what I watch, even there I'd watch Steelers vs Bears over KC vs SF. And to me, I see it as watching purely and solely for the colors and logo and fight song, no matter who's wearing the uniform for Pitt, I'm rooting for the laundry, not to see the best players, to me that's all that college football is, tribal, local and regional, not to watch "best quality" but to watch the good guys beat the Nitters and Hoopies or whoever they play.

Watch a regular season Army game sometimes, it can be wild, like when they are playing someone they can beat, they'll go on 20 play 80 yard drives going for it on 4th down 5 times, if it's 4th and less than 3 they will go for it 99% of the time with a running play, even in their own territory.

The day may be coming where biggest brands split from the NCAA and Notre Dame is no longer guaranteed a representative at decision making meetings that can veto any changes that deny them access with a single vote. When that day comes, I'm sure they will change their stance on conference membership quickly.

Until that happens, I have to imagine Notre Dame will cling to football independence as long as they can. These days being an independent power team is really the only thing that makes them special. The number of people that follow them because they were the only team you could hear on the radio every week 100 years ago becomes more irrelevant each passing football season.

Of course, the money needs to be there. If at the end of their current TV contract the best they can negotiate leaves them millions short of what their share would be in a top grossing conference the value of independence drops accordingly. If there is one thing that is consistent throughout the realignment process, it's that money trumps virtue.
I agree they'll hold out for as long as they can but the squeeze is on. Just a question of how quickly it becomes aggressive.

The number of people that follow them because they were the only team you could hear on the radio every week 100 years ago becomes more irrelevant each passing football season.
I'm sure that today, not every Irish Catholic who never went to college is automatically an ND fan. I'm 65 years old and I still remember them and Grambling where the only team that had a highlight show on TV in the 60s and 70s, I doubt very many people still remember that.

Reactions: NKSplitter
I'm sure that today, not every Irish Catholic who never went to college is automatically an ND fan. I'm 65 years old and I still remember them and Grambling where the only team that had a highlight show on TV in the 60s and 70s, I doubt very many people still remember that.
Raises hand. Both were on channel 11 on Sunday mornings.

Lindsay Nelson was the ND announcer. I don't remember who did the Grambling games.

Reactions: Pitt79
Raises hand. Both were on channel 11 on Sunday mornings.

Lindsay Nelson was the ND announcer. I don't remember who did the Grambling games.
They were pandering to the Catholics and the African Americans with those shows, I remember watching it because it was football and back then it wasn't wall to wall on 5000 channels like it is now.

Last season Navy punted 80 times. The only FBS team to punt more was Iowa.

Army punted 44 times. There were 18 FBS teams that punted fewer times than they did, and another three that punted the same number of times that Army did.

Last season Navy punted 80 times. The only FBS team to punt more was Iowa.

Army punted 44 times. There were 18 FBS teams that punted fewer times than they did, and another three that punted the same number of times that Army did.
Maybe they go for it more on 4th down. thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to research it. Now go check to see if they go for it more often on 4th down.

Maybe they go for it more on 4th down. thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to research it. Now go check to see if they go for it more often on 4th down.

It took literally less than a minute to find that out.

The fact that you apparently don't know how to use a search engine really isn't something to brag about.

It took literally less than a minute to find that out.

The fact that you apparently don't know how to use a search engine really isn't something to brag about.
Army went for it 34 times, Navy and Air Force 26 each none of them made it less than 59% of the time. So what's your point, that those schools play like everyone else, they don't, not at all.

Army went for it 34 times, Navy and Air Force 26 each none of them made it less than 59% of the time. So what's your point, that those schools play like everyone else, they don't, not at all.

That's not my point at all, and I never said anything of the sort.

My only point was that someone thought that the team that punted the second most times in all of FBS football last year never punts, and that's objectively hilarious.

That's not my point at all, and I never said anything of the sort.

My only point was that someone thought that the team that punted the second most times in all of FBS football last year never punts, and that's objectively hilarious.
I didn't research it; I saw parts of a few games and they were going for it on 4th down in their own territory instead of punting. I watch only Pitt games from beginning to end, all other games I might watch 10 minutes here and there, then leave for an hour and maybe come back and watch another ten minutes. That's why I won't watch any college super league, even NFL I watch every Steelers game in its entirety from beginning to end and other games just parts of them or NFL RED ZONE, or if a game is good I'll stick with it more, but there are no games all season that I plan to watch in their entirety from beginning to end that don't include Pitt or the Steelers, that said, watching Army or Navy is interesting, not many teams play like they do. A lot of Saturdays if Pitt has a noon game, I hate noon games, so I go out and do other stuff all day, then kick off the recorded Pitt game at 7pm or so after avoiding the score all day and that's the only college football I see all weekend.

I didn't research it; I saw parts of a few games and they were going for it on 4th down in their own territory instead of punting. I watch only Pitt games from beginning to end, all other games I might watch 10 minutes here and there, then leave for an hour and maybe come back and watch another ten minutes. That's why I won't watch any college super league, even NFL I watch every Steelers game in its entirety from beginning to end and other games just parts of them or NFL RED ZONE, or if a game is good I'll stick with it more, but there are no games all season that I plan to watch in their entirety from beginning to end that don't include Pitt or the Steelers, that said, watching Army or Navy is interesting, not many teams play like they do.8 A lot of Saturday if Pitt has a noon game, I hate noon games, so I go out and do other stuff all day, they kick off the recorded Pitt game at 7pm or so after avoiding the score all day and that's the only college football I see all weekend.

So in other words, you had no idea if what you said was even remotely close to true, but you said it anyway. Because reasons and stuff.

So in other words, you had no idea if what you said was even remotely close to true, but you said it anyway. Because reasons and stuff.
It's what I saw, during the parts of the games I watched. I never said I watched all the Army or Navy games every week, just felt it was interesting and would rather watch some of that than an SEC game. Then again, as I keep saying, fact is there's nothing outside of Pitt games that is mandatory for me to see, so if Pitt drops football and it's just SEC and B1G, I will watch almost none of it, maybe I'll watch Netflix instead.

It's what I saw, during the parts of the games I watched.

"Hey, I watched three plays of a Arizona State game and they passed the ball on all three plays. So I assume that Arizona State passes the ball on every play."

"Hey, I watched three plays of a Arizona State game and they passed the ball on all three plays. So I assume that Arizona State passes the ball on every play."
No, not 3 plays, maybe a half hour here and there several drives, so it's not the stupid scenario you present, why do you care anyways?

The next post where Pitt79 doesnt remind us of his viewing preferences will be his first.
I'll just keep doing it all the time, it's exactly the same as the people who constantly say they won't watch Pitt anymore if they are at a lower level, and the people who say they want to only watch the best players at the highest level, no difference.

All I know is that Pitt better be working on getting into the Big XII or whatever mishmash conference of Big XII/ACC remenants exist after the ACC breaks up. If we are stuck in a leftover of ACC with WF, BC, SMU, etc, that's not good.

• Haha
Reactions: pittmeister
All I know is that Pitt better be working on getting into the Big XII or whatever mishmash conference of Big XII/ACC remenants exist after the ACC breaks up. If we are stuck in a leftover of ACC with WF, BC, SMU, etc, that's not good.
Right now, there's nothing to do because the conference will exist for a while, yet. Even if FSU figured out a way to blow the doors off of the GOR, it's going to take a while and there will be time.

I'll just keep doing it all the time, it's exactly the same as the people who constantly say they won't watch Pitt anymore if they are at a lower level, and the people who say they want to only watch the best players at the highest level, no difference.

Most of the time those people are saying that in response to you asking them directly, or in response to your initial viewership post.

Very few if any people just randomly bring it up as a badge of honor, as you do.

You mean the left over mishmash that is currently Conference US12? That ain't good either.

There is nothing for Pitt to "work" on other than trying to make itself more attractive by winning on the field which is every school is trying to do at the same time. The whole thing is really out of any one schools' control.

You mean the left over mishmash that is currently Conference US12? That ain't good either.

There is nothing for Pitt to "work" on other than trying to make itself more attractive by winning on the field which is every school is trying to do at the same time. The whole thing is really out of any one schools' control.
The mishmash is going to be a better alternative than the leftover acc. I don’t see us getting into the big 10 and sec, which obviously would be ideal. In a perfect world the current acc is the best.

Agree the school can’t work on anything but to control what it can control.

The mishmash is going to be a better alternative than the leftover acc. I don’t see us getting into the big 10 and sec, which obviously would be ideal. In a perfect world the current acc is the best.

Couldn’t agree more. Best thing for Pitt is if the 48 number turns out to be either smaller or bigger.

Is it? You are making a lot of assumptions primarily derived from B12 fanboys that have been touting the superiority of their continually decimated conference for a decade now.

Is it? You are making a lot of assumptions primarily derived from B12 fanboys that have been touting the superiority of their continually decimated conference for a decade now.
If the cut line is 48, do you predict Pitt makes it?

Most of the time those people are saying that in response to you asking them directly, or in response to your initial viewership post.

Very few if any people just randomly bring it up as a badge of honor, as you do.
"Most"? Can you provide stats on that? what % only say that in response to me?

I think so. For athletic purposes I’d rather be with Arizona, Arizona st, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, wvu, okie state, tcu, etc than bc, duke, Georgia tech, wake forest, cal, Stanford, smu and whatever else we backfill with.

And my guess is the big xii will pull in Louisville, and if v tech nc state etc if they don’t get pulled into the big and sec.

Perception is reality sometimes and it’s the legit reporting from Pete Thamel, Ross delinger, etc that I am following, not the big xii fanboy stuff.

I think so. For athletic purposes I’d rather be with Arizona, Arizona st, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, wvu, okie state, tcu, etc than bc, duke, Georgia tech, wake forest, cal, Stanford, smu and whatever else we backfill with.

And my guess is the big xii will pull in Louisville, and if v tech nc state etc if they don’t get pulled into the big and sec.

Perception is reality sometimes and it’s the legit reporting from Pete Thamel, Ross delinger, etc that I am following, not the big xii fanboy stuff.
You are assuming an AWFUL lot.

Reactions: NKSplitter
Just watching the shifts and what legit reporters I mentioned above are saying, it seems it’s only a matter of when, not if, fsu, Clemson, unc, uva, vt miami and nc state are gone.
And you are assuming all of the best Big 12 teams you listed will still be in the Big 12 at the point ACC defections start occurring. You are also assuming the the ACC, which has a longer grant of rights than the Big 12, won't be able to lure some of those best Big 12 teams to the ACC when the Big 12 grant of rights expires. As Paco said, you are assuming alot. The SEC and B1G are obviously looking to be college football's powerbroker conferences. There is likely alot of things that will shake out before the identity of the long term distant #3 conference is determined.

And you are assuming all of the best Big 12 teams you listed will still be in the Big 12 at the point ACC defections start occurring. You are also assuming the the ACC, which has a longer grant of rights than the Big 12, won't be able to lure some of those best Big 12 teams to the ACC when the Big 12 grant of rights expires. As Paco said, you are assuming alot. The SEC and B1G are obviously looking to be college football's powerbroker conferences. There is likely alot of things that will shake out before the identity of the long term distant #3 conference is determined.
I've been hearing about how great the Big12 is for a long time and the only thing that happens is the valuable teams leave.

Reactions: singregardless
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT