ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt included 48 team expansion scenario

Schools like Ohio State and Alabama aren't going to lose many millions of dollars per year by including schools like Pitt and NC State. They will find ways to make their own pie slices even larger by removing schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt and justify it all by saying "it's expensive to provide a gold plated swimming pool for the water polo team".

I dismissed it as soon as I saw it had Notre Dame joining a conference for football. Also, on the SEC side, that script "State" logo must be Mississippi State based on not seeing them anywhere else; but am I the only one who didn't recognize that as one of their logos?

Reactions: FireballZ
Schools like Ohio State and Alabama aren't going to lose many millions of dollars per year by including schools like Pitt and NC State. They will find ways to make their own pie slices even larger by removing schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt and justify it all by saying "it's expensive to provide a gold plated swimming pool for the water polo team".
You underestimate the top schools' ability to understand how to maximize revenues. It isn't to limit a top division to 20-30 teams while sending the rest to a secondary and inferior division. Those schools - like Pitt, NCS and even Vandy - represent a lot of TV dollars that even a secondary division would siphon from a top division.

Reactions: 303vND

As I have said before, Pitt is more highly thought of outside of the fan base… That includes local recruits
Objectively, I don’t know why they chose us over Stanford (or either of the Arizona schools).

That would’ve allowed them to place Nebraska in Wisconsin’s region, Ohio State in Michigan’s region, and Rutgers in Florida State’s region. That’d make more sense than the hodgepodge divisions they threw together for the Big Ten.

You underestimate the top schools' ability to understand how to maximize revenues. It isn't to limit a top division to 20-30 teams while sending the rest to a secondary and inferior division. Those schools - like Pitt, NCS and even Vandy - represent a lot of TV dollars that even a secondary division would siphon from a top division.

I disagree. They will need just enough schools to make a competitive two division league. Sort of like the NFL. The next step will be to usher out the Northwesterns.

They aren't going to usher out Northwestern and usher in Pitt. That doesn't make sense. Of course, I have no real idea what makes sense anymore.

It's bizarre to think about who the true power brokers in these decisions are.

I disagree. They will need just enough schools to make a competitive two division league. Sort of like the NFL. The next step will be to usher out the Northwesterns.
I predict they will try that first and realize it is a mistake. They will start with 20-30 teams by forcing some teams out as you state. But they will quickly correct and add a bunch of teams that will be at the top of a second tier that also has big TV contracts (though smaller than the top tier). NCAA football will never be like the NFL fans root for teams without geographic or other ties.

Reactions: HailtoPitt

As I have said before, Pitt is more highly thought of outside of the fan base… That includes local recruits
I would be thrilled with this, although Pitt is on the bubble in any 48 team configuration. If it's 64, I don't have any worries. If it's 48, we could find ourselves in some Big 12 mashup with VT, NC State, and Louisville. Those teams plus WVU and Cincinnati would provide some regional interest, and basketball would be top notch, although the league would clearly be a "best of the rest," and the financial disparity would be a clear impediment.

It's tough to say when the changes will happen or how they will shake out, but there are significant changes coming regardless. It's hard to overestimate how important Heather Lyke's work has been in elevating the stature of Pitt's athletics programs and facilities to prepare us for the dominoes.

They aren't going to usher out Northwestern and usher in Pitt. That doesn't make sense. Of course, I have no real idea what makes sense anymore.

It's bizarre to think about who the true power brokers in these decisions are.

Not bring in Pitt, just remove Northwestern and some others. The pie size remains the same, but the pieces get bigger.

Objectively, I don’t know why they chose us over Stanford (or either of the Arizona schools).

That would’ve allowed them to place Nebraska in Wisconsin’s region, Ohio State in Michigan’s region, and Rutgers in Florida State’s region. That’d make more sense than the hodgepodge divisions they threw together for the Big Ten.
Because they don't bring as much as Pitt to the table - not real hard to figure out.

Reactions: NCPitt
Because they don't bring as much as Pitt to the table - not real hard to figure out.
I don’t disagree; I’m just saying that one more west coast school would have the divisors make a lot more sense… maybe it’s the perfectionist in me. :)

Reactions: 303vND
Not bring in Pitt, just remove Northwestern and some others. The pie size remains the same, but the pieces get bigger.
NW grads have such a huge presence in the national media that it's a bit hard seeing them being pushed aside. The media tends to paint things in alignment with their preferences.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
And if it's 20-30 teams and your team is left out, you're still going to watch it? F'em, I'm never watching that crap if there's no Pitt in it.

Northwestern has just invested a ton of money into football, including a very significant upgrading of their stadium. They also bring the Chicago market. I doubt they will be shown the door.

I predict they will try that first and realize it is a mistake. They will start with 20-30 teams by forcing some teams out as you state. But they will quickly correct and add a bunch of teams that will be at the top of a second tier that also has big TV contracts (though smaller than the top tier). NCAA football will never be like the NFL fans root for teams without geographic or other ties.
Exactly, you mean to tell me that Pitt, or WVU or Cinncinati or USF or any school's fans that are left out, people who are fans because they live there or went to school there or work there or have kids going there will quit being fans and adopt Bama or Michigan instead because they are BEST LEVEL teams and stop watching their alma mater because the quality of play isn't as good ? :)

I cant imagine the 2 big conferences would toss weaker schools and face the political and media fallout. Instead, I can see the big conferences adopting the proposed ACC model of paying schools what they contribute to the conference (Read: football success).

As for Notre Dame, Their path to the playoff I think becomes EASIER if they join the ACC if 2 of the spots are for this conference in addition to their body of work perhaps worth an at large bid. That would give them not one but three paths to the playoffs.

As for Pitt, I do not see them in a field of 48. Nor do I see the big two agreeing to a number greater than 48.

NW grads have such a huge presence in the national media that it's a bit hard seeing them being pushed aside. The media tends to paint things in alignment with their preferences.
Same could be said for Syracuse but they have been knocked down to the kids table.

However in order to remove the NW and Vandys of the world you will have to form a new conference without them. You cannot just kick them out.

Reactions: FireballZ
In this scenario, the following teams are out, gone, abandoned…

Louisville, GT, Syracuse, Wake Forest, BC, Duke, California, Stanford, SMU, TCU, Iowa State, Baylor, BYU, Colorado, Cincinnati, UCF, Kansas, Houston, Arizona, Arizona St.

The only thing that surprised me was Kansas State over Kansas…

I know this is tough for some fans to wrap their heads around, but a lot of people think highly of Pitt....

Louisville, GT, Syracuse, Wake Forest, BC, Duke, California, Stanford, SMU, TCU, Iowa State, Baylor, BYU, Colorado, Cincinnati, UCF, Kansas, Houston, Arizona, Arizona St.

The only thing that surprised me was Kansas State over Kansas…

I know this is tough for some fans to wrap their heads around, but a lot of people think highly of Pitt....
KU would definitely get the nod before K-State. They have the KC market, AAU affiliation, the basketball program, and now a growing football program with a brand new stadium under construction. I believe KU has the larger alumni base, too. Plus, the SEC would love to get the Border War in their inventory.

And if it's 20-30 teams and your team is left out, you're still going to watch it? F'em, I'm never watching that crap if there's no Pitt in it.

We know, you'd rather watch Chattahoochee Valley play Kinki U.

Northwestern has just invested a ton of money into football, including a very significant upgrading of their stadium. They also bring the Chicago market. I doubt they will be shown the door.

Why do you think they are planning for a $1 billion dollar stadium? So they can threaten a lawsuit if any attempt is made to give them the boot.

Why can't I watch both?
Sure, but I guess I do other things, in reality every weekend in the fall I only watch Pitt's and the Steelers games and everything else is optional, there are no other games I am 100% sure to watch, and one thing i never watch is any SEC game, unless they are playing Pitt.

Reactions: NTOP
So you'll pick a team other than Pitt to be your team and watch this league?
Not picking "my team", but I'll surely watch the playoff games.

I watch the NFL playoff games and the Super Bowl, and the Steelers aren't in the picture. What is the difference?

Why do you think they are planning for a $1 billion dollar stadium? So they can threaten a lawsuit if any attempt is made to give them the boot.
I'm pretty sure that the planning for this began a while ago. That crazy nice football building that they have, on the water, they had to start planning that a decade ago.

Sure, but I guess I do other things, in reality every weekend in the fall I only watch Pitt's and the Steelers games and everything else is optional, there are no other games I am 100% sure to watch, and one thing i never watch is any SEC game, unless they are playing Pitt.

While I'm sure there are a few others like you, I'd wager there are far more that will watch more than just Pitt.

Well, in this scenario, the Big 12 does outlast the ACC since it would mean nobody wants most of the conference.

Not picking "my team", but I'll surely watch the playoff games.

I watch the NFL playoff games and the Super Bowl, and the Steelers aren't in the picture. What is the difference?
NFL is different and even there, there is no specific plan for me to watch any playoff game from beginning to end that doesn't include the Steelers, but I do watch some. and the Super Boal I do watch. But college football is different to me, I just seriously don't watch the blue bloods and the SEC and B1G out of spite, I can't stand listening to the whole game as the announcers fawn all over them about how great they are, I'd rather watch a G5 or FCS game and have been doing that for years. I also don't watch the college football playoffs, haven't for years, mostly because it's always the same few teams, sure I might turn it on and watch if it's close near the end, but it's nothing I'm excited about or set aside the day for.

Last edited:
While I'm sure there are a few others like you, I'd wager there are far more that will watch more than just Pitt.
I watch more than just Pitt I just tend to not watch SEC or B1G, for years I've watched ANYTHING ELSE, I live in Maryland and pretty often will watch Navy or FCS or G5, for years I've been sick of hearing about how great the SEC and B1G are and just don't care to contribute their ratings. seriously their games aren't any more entertaining to watch are they? And there are a lot of Saturdays that I'll watch only the Pitt game, no other football and do something else.

Reactions: NTOP
I watch more than just Pitt I just tend to not watch SEC or B1G, for years I've watched ANYTHING ELSE, I live in Maryland and pretty often will watch Navy or FCS or G5, for years I've been sick of hearing about how great the SEC and B1G are and just don't care to contribute their ratings. seriously their games aren't any more entertaining to watch are they? And there are a lot of Saturdays that I'll watch only the Pitt game, no other football and do something else.

Some are, some aren't. But you have a better chance of seeing players who will play at the next level that you do watching the aforementioned Chattahoochee Valley - Kinki U matchup that draws you in.

To each his own, but I think you're in a minority now, and will remain so if a "premier" league comes to be, as far as viewing habits.

I'm surprised you watch Navy what with the way you rant about modern offenses.

Every iteration of the CFP that gets presented leaves a smaller and smaller window for ND. At this point, nothing is impossible.
The day may be coming where biggest brands split from the NCAA and Notre Dame is no longer guaranteed a representative at decision making meetings that can veto any changes that deny them access with a single vote. When that day comes, I'm sure they will change their stance on conference membership quickly.

Until that happens, I have to imagine Notre Dame will cling to football independence as long as they can. These days being an independent power team is really the only thing that makes them special. The number of people that follow them because they were the only team you could hear on the radio every week 100 years ago becomes more irrelevant each passing football season.

Of course, the money needs to be there. If at the end of their current TV contract the best they can negotiate leaves them millions short of what their share would be in a top grossing conference the value of independence drops accordingly. If there is one thing that is consistent throughout the realignment process, it's that money trumps virtue.

Reactions: pittdan77
I'm pretty sure that the planning for this began a while ago. That crazy nice football building that they have, on the water, they had to start planning that a decade ago.

They could read the tea leaves years ago, and set a course of action. Smart thinking. They are being proactive, unlike the dolts who were allowed to run Pitt football off a cliff with decades of poor decisions.

Reactions: joefromlancaster
Some are, some aren't. But you have a better chance of seeing players who will play at the next level that you do watching the aforementioned Chattahoochee Valley - Kinki U matchup that draws you in.

To each his own, but I think you're in a minority now, and will remain so if a "premier" league comes to be, as far as viewing habits.

I'm surprised you watch Navy what with the way you rant about modern offenses.
Who cares? I prefer college basketball over NBA by 1000 miles, and in today's game hardly any make the NBA compared to back in the day. I also like weird stuff like Army and Navy offenses, I wouldn't want Pitt or the Steelers play that way, but it's interesting to watch especially the way they almost never punt. But Pitt and the Steelers I want to spread the field and throw and go fast. Even with Pitt, I don't care if they make the NFL at all, I'm just watching them to play for Pitt. When I'm watching college football, I'm just watching the game, not thinking "wow? who's going to the NFL?"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT