ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt loses first player

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Ezeakudo is graduating and not using his Covid year.

So, right now we have 11 scholarship players and 2 to use.

As it stands right now:

G - Burton
G - Sibande
G - Horton
G - Odukale
C - Hugley

Collier
Santos
Jeffress
Oladapo
Payton
Amadusun

I'd expect a large number of players to enter the portal in the next week or so but as we know, this program only has 1 "plus-level" ACC player in Hugley and a few league-average guards so there wont be any earth-shattering "big losses" this off-season.

Honestly cannot believe we had to use him for actual big time, meaningful minutes. Not knocking the kid at all. My point is that it is really, really embarrassing that we were playing a walk on guard that many minutes…anyone could see how out of place he looked out there. Just running around really. We have really hit new lows. I am sad

I would bet on the only guys absolutely returning being Sibande, Horton, Burton, and Santos. Probably Collier, too. Then I would imagine Hugley returning is about 50/50.

Odukale, Oladapo, Amadusun, and Jeffres are not coming back. Not sure about Payton.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
Honestly cannot believe we had to use him for actual big time, meaningful minutes. Not knocking the kid at all. My point is that it is really, really embarrassing that we were playing a walk on guard that many minutes…anyone could see how out of place he looked out there. Just running around really. We have really hit new lows. I am sad
It's more like a return to a low...remember the days of Kevin Willard playing

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
I would bet on the only guys absolutely returning being Sibande, Horton, Burton, and Santos. Probably Collier, too. Then I would imagine Hugley returning is about 50/50.

Odukale, Oladapo, Amadusun, and Jeffres are not coming back. Not sure about Payton.
If I were to rank the likelihood players return, I'd say:

1. Sibande
2. Burton
3. Hugley
4. Horton
5. Oladapo (doesn't have a free transfer left)
6. Santos
7. Collier
8. Odukale
9. Jeffress
10. Payton
11. Amudusun

If I were to rank the likelihood players return, I'd say:

1. Sibande
2. Burton
3. Hugley
4. Horton
5. Oladapo (doesn't have a free transfer left)
6. Santos
7. Collier
8. Odukale
9. Jeffress
10. Payton
11. Amudusun

Unless he was hurt or something and I didn't know it, I don't see Oladapo returning. You can get a waiver for just about anything nowadays (unless you're coming to Pitt). But what good is returning if you can't get into the game anyway?

Why would some of these players transfer. They have a guaranteed scholarship. What school is giving max, Payton or oladapo a free ride.

Reactions: BPKY
Why would some of these players transfer. They have a guaranteed scholarship. What school is giving max, Payton or oladapo a free ride.
So they can play. Olidapo already played D1 and was a decent player at that level. Some D1 lower on the totem pole might take a flier on the other 2. There are well over 300 D1 schools so it’s way likelier than you think.

Why do people believe that Jeffress is going anywhere? I don't see any other D1 program taking him and he's focused on a medical degree anyway? JC likes him and he's a good kid but unless he's asked to leave he will stay. I don't see a pro career in his future, therefore, he will be here as long as JC is here.

So they can play. Olidapo already played D1 and was a decent player at that level. Some D1 lower on the totem pole might take a flier on the other 2. There are well over 300 D1 schools so it’s way likelier than you think.
Lets put it this way, like 8 different teams were willing to give Ryan Murphy a spot. So at least one team will give these other guys a shot

Unless he was hurt or something and I didn't know it, I don't see Oladapo returning. You can get a waiver for just about anything nowadays (unless you're coming to Pitt). But what good is returning if you can't get into the game anyway?

I would hope they cut out those ridiculous waivers. You are given one free transfer. If he wants to transfer again, he should have to sit a year, which I don't even know if he can since its his Covid year but you know what I mean.

Reactions: jctrack
I would hope they cut out those ridiculous waivers. You are given one free transfer. If he wants to transfer again, he should have to sit a year, which I don't even know if he can since its his Covid year but you know what I mean.

Well don't you get to transfer at-will anyway if you've graduated? I imagine he has.

Why do people believe that Jeffress is going anywhere? I don't see any other D1 program taking him and he's focused on a medical degree anyway? JC likes him and he's a good kid but unless he's asked to leave he will stay. I don't see a pro career in his future, therefore, he will be here as long as JC is here.
Jeffress would probably start for many lower D1 teams like in the NEC. If not start, play a lot.

Ezeakudo is graduating and not using his Covid year.

So, right now we have 11 scholarship players and 2 to use.

As it stands right now:

G - Burton
G - Sibande
G - Horton
G - Odukale
C - Hugley

Collier
Santos
Jeffress
Oladapo
Payton
Amadusun

I'd expect a large number of players to enter the portal in the next week or so but as we know, this program only has 1 "plus-level" ACC player in Hugley and a few league-average guards so there wont be any earth-shattering "big losses" this off-season.
I would expect those bottom 3 to be jettisoned.

This was known a couple days ago. And seems like a good young man but in terms of on the court it’s meaningless.
He's like a Bio Engineering major or something, he's not going to the NBA, maybe he's going to med school or something? Whatever it is, it will probably pay well.

…anyone could see how out of place he looked out there. Just running around really. We have really hit new lows. I am sad
What does that say about the scholarship guys that he beat out for playing time? He was pretty confident out there compared to say Jeffress.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT