Ranking players based on who you want back

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
1. Hugley
2. Burton
3. Odukale
4. Horton
5. Sibande (may be higher but unknowns with injury)

-----------------

6. Collier
7. Santos
8. Jeffress
9. Ezeakudo
10. Oladapo
11. Payton
12. Amadusun

Basically, we have 7 guys who can't play at this level and I'd expect most of them to transfer or be asked to transfer to make room for new guys. The bottom half of our roster may not even be a good PSAC team.

I want Mo Gueye back, It was nice having a guy who could REALLY sky and shoot well like him for a change.

Odukale is very frustrating IMO, not a great shooter, including FTs and lots of bad turnovers, yet manages to average double figures. He needs to tighten up his game.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Jeffress is another baffling one. He seemed better as a freshman. He is so indecisive! he passes on open looks until he's surrounded and ends up turning it over. Then occasionally makes a hustle play.

1. Hugley
2. Burton
3. Odukale
4. Horton

-----------------

6. Collier
7. Santos
8. Jeffress
9. Ezeakudo
10. Oladapo
11. Payton
12. Amadusun

Basically, we have 7 guys who can't play at this level and I'd expect most of them to transfer or be asked to transfer to make room for new guys. The bottom half of our roster may not even be a good PSAC team.
1. Hugley
2. Hugley
3. Hugley
4. Hugley
5. A guard of some kind. Probably the one that didn't play this season, Sibande. We've seen the others. It's a weak group to be generous about it. Out of the others, I'd probably keep Burton.

1. Hugley
2. Burton
3. Odukale
4. Horton

-----------------

6. Collier
7. Santos
8. Jeffress
9. Ezeakudo
10. Oladapo
11. Payton
12. Amadusun

Easy.

Just stop after Hugley. There is no one else I'd like to see return.

Last edited:
Jeffress is another baffling one. He seemed better as a freshman. He is so indecisive! he passes on open looks until he's surrounded and ends up turning it over. Then occasionally makes a hustle play.
He’s thinking and not reacting and trying not to F…up !. No way to play any sport .

Reactions: Pitt79
The culture needs to be completely changed, so I really don't care if any of them come back. Is there really a difference between winning 0,1,2,3,4,5, or 6 conference games? Doesn't really feel like it.

Reactions: FireballZ
I would keep four: Hugley, Burton, Santos and Sibande. You still have to try and recruit over them but I would keep these four as a core. With better coaching I think they all improve and have the makings of a good nucleus.

Reactions: gary2
I would keep four: Hugley, Burton, Santos and Sibande. You still have to try and recruit over them but I would keep these four as a core. With better coaching I think they all improve and have the makings of a good nucleus.
People saying just Hugley are so wrong. Even if Femi, Horton, Burton, and Sibande come back as bench players, that would be a big plus as all of them would be valuable bench guys or 4th/5th starters

Is the love for Sibande and Santos only because their respective levels of suck haven't been on full display yet? Like, "I want this guy only because he isn't this guy."

If anything, I'd rather take my chances with older guys who have spent 3 or 4 years developing under a coach who isn't Capel.

Is the love for Sibande and Santos only because their respective levels of suck haven't been on full display yet? Like, "I want this guy only because he isn't this guy."

If anything, I'd rather take my chances with older guys who have spent 3 or 4 years developing under a coach who isn't Capel.
So you think Capel and his buds tell the players this is the proper way to shoot , but we want you to do this instead or tells them to be in the wrong positions to defend or rebound ? It’s not all on the coaches , improvement comes from desire and hard work limited by your natural talent .

He’s 100% correct he needs better players and he needs to go get them ….if he’s still here .

So you think Capel and his buds tell the players this is the proper way to shoot , but we want you to do this instead or tells them to be in the wrong positions to defend or rebound ? It’s not all on the coaches , improvement comes from desire and hard work limited by your natural talent .

He’s 100% correct he needs better players and he needs to go get them ….if he’s still here .

I think we'd be better off finding guys who have not been subjected to this culture and style of coaching for the past X amount of years, because it obviously sucks. Capel would be better off to go find a group of seasoned veterans and then more or less let them coach themselves. He doesn't know how to coach. He doesn't know how to manage a team. Most who were under his tutelage are now radioactive. Is that not clear at this point?

Santos with an actual coaching staff can be intriguing
You mean coaching with his shot making since it’s disappeared? I kid, but like the guy at Kansas said, slow afoot - no thanks. I watched him and he just can’t keep up. He couldn’t find the floor at IUP - and I know neither could half this roster. I guess you can be coached up with dexterity and nimbleness?

Agree
Femi and Horton as bench depth and role players

I can see Horton off the bench, for some reason I'm just not sold on Femi. I get he has some talent/potential but to me I think he is easily replaced. Just my two cents.
Good sized combo guard who can defend is always an asset situationally
He’s asked to do too much with too many minutes - same as Horton

Hugely
Nike
Burton
Santos maybe

I think that's it. I really hope Femi leaves, I think he's a bad teammate and has a bad attitude.

Reactions: gary2
I believe Johnson is a starter on a good team.
No, he's a starter on an NIT team. They may be able to get a ticket to Dayton if they beat Michigan tomorrow but there is a thought they need 2 at the B10T.

BballinsiderfromPitt remembers my prediction when Johnson went in the portal. I said Johnson will not be the starting PG on an NCAAT team. I may be correct. It'll be close. Bottom line, the kid isnt that good

His confidence is shot. Maybe send him to the doc who cured Fluery?

I think you will be very surprised where Mr. Odukale winds up. People said the same about X going to a lower level.
He's a bench piece and wing defender on a well-rounded roster. Nobody with such a roster is ever going to ask him to handle the ball a lot in the half court, or initiate and create a lot of offense as he was required to do at Pitt. He does have the ability to become a high level defensive stopper IMO.

I don't ever recall X being described as a lower-level player by anyone on this board or beyond. There has never been a question that he's a legit P5 point guard, just an average and highly inconsistent one. From a skill standpoint he is far superior to Femi.

I do recall you posting at the time that transferring to the B10 was in fact transferring to a lower level, where you were adamant that X would dominate.

He's a bench piece and wing defender on a well-rounded roster. Nobody with such a roster is ever going to ask him to handle the ball a lot in the half court, or initiate and create a lot of offense as he was required to do at Pitt. He does have the ability to become a high level defensive stopper IMO.

I don't ever recall X being described as a lower-level player by anyone on this board or beyond. There has never been a question that he's a legit P5 point guard, just an average and highly inconsistent one. From a skill standpoint he is far superior to Femi.

I do recall you posting at the time that transferring to the B10 was in fact transferring to a lower level, where you were adamant that X would dominate.
He said he'd be All Big Ten.

No, he's a starter on an NIT team. They may be able to get a ticket to Dayton if they beat Michigan tomorrow but there is a thought they need 2 at the B10T.

BballinsiderfromPitt remembers my prediction when Johnson went in the portal. I said Johnson will not be the starting PG on an NCAAT team. I may be correct. It'll be close. Bottom line, the kid isnt that good

So you're now saying there aren't any good teams in the NIT? That's absurd.

So you're now saying there aren't any good teams in the NIT? That's absurd.
What's your definition of "good"? I'd say a P6 team that is under.500 in conference and 9th in its own league, and doesn't make the field of 64 isn't going to be considered "good" by many, including all of its own fans.

1. Hugley
2. Burton
3. Odukale
4. Horton

-----------------

6. Collier
7. Santos
8. Jeffress
9. Ezeakudo
10. Oladapo
11. Payton
12. Amadusun

Hugley
Mo
Burton
Femi
Nike
Horton
Collier

I'll turnover the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT