ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt - NC State

For as much as you could complain about the inconsistency of the strike zone, when you're down a run in the bottom of the 8th and you have two strikes on you and the pitcher throws a fastball middle-middle and you can't get the bat off your shoulder, you really can't complain about the strike zone too much.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I think win or lose we have done enough in this tournament to get an NCAA bid. The real problem with this team is that since the Covid layoff too many guys have stopped hitting.

Anderson hasn’t hit all year, but Popa, Hulett and Yanni have not hit a lick since then. And, those guys were important offensive weapons earlier. Yanni looks pathetic up there.

Obviously Pitt’s (lack of an) offense killed them in the end but it all comes back to the horrendous calls that gave the pack their three game winning runs. He gets even one call right and the game is 2-0.

Reactions: PittMBA and gary2
Obviously Pitt’s (lack of an) offense killed them in the end but it all comes back to the horrendous calls that have the pack their three game winning runs. He gets even one call right and the game is 2-0.
I am a diehard fan, but sometimes you need to look in the mirror and take the blame. I thought the umpiring was pretty good. Gilby got some calls as well. The lack of offense is why they lost.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I am a diehard fan, but sometimes you need to look in the mirror and take the blame. I thought the umpiring was pretty good. Gilby got some calls as well. The lack of offense is why they lost.
Something that I think people need to start realizing is that it’s perfectly ok to blame both the team and the officiating at the same time. Pitt’s lack of offense absolutely killed them and has been killing them since the covid paise, there’s no denying that. At the same time there’s also no denying that if those absolutely miserable calls aren’t made then the Pack don’t score their three runs.

Something that I think people need to start realizing is that it’s perfectly ok to blame both the team and the officiating at the same time. Pitt’s lack of offense absolutely killed them and has been killing them since the covid paise, there’s no denying that. At the same time there’s also no denying that if those absolutely miserable calls aren’t made then the Pack don’t score their three runs.
What calls exactly? Franks made an error and Gilby had a wild pitch early on in the game.

What calls exactly? Franks made an error and Gilby had a wild pitch early on in the game.
In the second inning there were two obvious strike threes to end the inning but the umpire called them balls despite calling them strikes for the NCST pitcher the prior inning. These terrible calls led to the triple and then the misplay at home plate.

In the second inning there were two obvious strike threes to end the inning but the umpire called them balls despite calling them strikes for the NCST pitcher the prior inning. These terrible calls led to the triple and then the misplay at home plate.
Those calls weren’t that bad and the one Gilby got upset about looked like a ball.

I though the call on the first walk was bad. The announcing crew covering the game even took a second look and were both in agreement as well.

Reactions: ThePittBoi
Outside of that 2nd inning, it was a great game. Just now wait and see if we can get in. Fun season regardless.
It was. Battled one of the better teams in the country toe to toe despite being drastically inferior on paper. As others have said, mad props to Gilbertson for his comeback from that 41 pitch second inning mess. He did it all with masterful pitch placement and selection as opposed to an overpowering fastball. He showed extreme mental toughness and competitive drive.

The team is obviously well managed and did not look out of place on this stage as a 10 seed. The future looks good. Now if they can just go out on the recruiting trail and find some bats.

It was. Battled one of the better teams in the country toe to toe despite being drastically inferior on paper. As others have said, mad props to Gilbertson for his comeback from that 41 pitch second inning mess. He did it all with masterful pitch placement and selection as opposed to an overpowering fastball. He showed extreme mental toughness and competitive drive.

The team is obviously well managed and did not look out of place on this stage as a 10 seed. The future looks good. Now if they can just go out on the recruiting trail and find some bats.
Yeah, I think with Myers and Gilbertson, you’ve got a very real chance to steal two games in a regional. And next year, those two guys (should) return, plus a healthy Corcoran, and you’ll again have a weekend rotation that isn’t going to lose you games in the ACC. Important to keep building out the bullpen, too, but the starters look pretty decent.

Gotta find some answers at catcher and in the infield (whether it’s Duff moving back to second and finding a new 3B, or putting the freshman Tavarez at second and keeping Duff at third) and hope that Washington can give you ok defense in the outfield taking over Popa’s spot and fill in a DH from there. But it’s not a bad lineup and returning cast.

I though the call on the first walk was bad. The announcing crew covering the game even took a second look and were both in agreement as well.
It was slightly outside but easily could have been called a strike. Amazing that with 2 outs and tbeir 7-8-9 hitters up, they managed 3 runs on 1 hit.

It was slightly outside but easily could have been called a strike. Amazing that with 2 outs and tbeir 7-8-9 hitters up, they managed 3 runs on 1 hit.
Just to be clear, don’t know if I am mostly complaining about ball 3 or ball 4. Dont remember at this time.

Last edited:
I was at the game. In that 3 run inning. The kid that checked his swing on ball 4 should've been out. It was clearly a swing.
You think being there in the stands gave you a better perspective than everyone at home had on slow motion replay?

It wasn’t even close.

the things I read on this board……

You think being there in the stands gave you a better perspective than everyone at home had on slow motion replay?

It wasn’t even close.

the things I read on this board……
I was sitting right on the first base line. It was absolutely without a doubt a swing. Never said i had a better view than the TV replay. But I did have just as good a view as the first base umpire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT