ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt needs to go all-in on a QB: like $1 million

oh lord, no way

That's what I'm saying. Like, at the bare ass very least, you have to go get a dude who will compete with CV in camp.

I'm honestly not even sure we'd be able to get someone good enough to be the anointed starter at this point anyway. Slovis, for as bad as he is, was one of the more sought after names in the portal. We're not an attractive destination right now. But just rolling with the four names above would be a great way to decrease season ticket sales.

email Matt.Canada @ steelers.com 😆
I hear you, but it is true that the Steelers offense is very predictable and easy to defend, you can practically write off the middle of the field for pass plays and down and distance calls are very predictable, the announcers where going on and on about how they should pass more on early downs, first and goal is a run like 95% of the time, 2nd and goal 75% of the time.

Depressing but true that even with an excellent Qb, Pitt’s ceiling is the 8-4 level and most likely 6-6.

I’m old(er) now and that is not doing it for me, at least less and less. Losing more interest by the day in the sport

oh lord, no way
I don't mind getting another transfer, but not a big lug future TE like Jurkoff, get a new OC and a totally new offense, I wouldn't mind someone that plays like a Lamar Jackson style and runs a lot out of RPO type plays, maybe some kind of up-tempo thing, but of course must be adequate at passing the ball- a total college style offense would be cool for a change

Reactions: sonofabit
That's what I'm saying. Like, at the bare ass very least, you have to go get a dude who will compete with CV in camp.

I'm honestly not even sure we'd be able to get someone good enough to be the anointed starter at this point anyway. Slovis, for as bad as he is, was one of the more sought after names in the portal. We're not an attractive destination right now. But just rolling with the four names above would be a great way to decrease season ticket sales.
is a legit P5 qb going to transfer into pitt knowing that they have to compete for the job?

is a legit P5 qb going to transfer into pitt knowing that they have to compete for the job?

I don't know how many other teams are guaranteeing these guys jobs.

The QB for Illinois this past week threw for 507 yards and 4 touchdowns. So I looked him up. Looks like he was the starter at Ball State last season. But he was one of two QBs to transfer into Illinois this past offseason, and the other guy won the job.

The QB for Illinois this past week threw for 507 yards and 4 touchdowns. So I looked him up. Looks like he was the starter at Ball State last season. But he was one of two QBs to transfer into Illinois this past offseason, and the other guy won the job.
I don't follow Illinois, maybe they don't have a stone age obsolete offensive philosophy and playbook like Pitt does?

I'm at the point where I wonder if he has the arm ability to play in the NFL, there seems to be like a 99% void of passes in the middle of the field 15-20 yards downfield and I wonder if they refuse to call that play or he's scared that he can't do it? And there are times when he's well protected and there are guys open, and he doesn't pull the trigger or misses badly. A typical Yinzer battle cry is "a win is a win" but you have to wonder how much longer they can get multiple INTs in the end zone in the last 2 minutes of games, because they have a tiny lead because they can't score more than 2 TDs in most games.
I'm at the point where I wonder if you start drinking every day before 10AM.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
I'd prefer to invest in the guys up front that can protect the qb and open up gapping holes for running backs.
Yes qb is the most critical position but a good line can make an average qb and running back look really good.
H2P!

I'd prefer to invest in the guys up front that can protect the qb and open up gapping holes for running backs.
Yes qb is the most critical position but a good line can make an average qb and running back look really good.
H2P!

At best, you'll find like one starting-caliber offensive lineman in the portal. It's the reason Colorado sucks, despite all the other quality players they brought in that way. There aren't many good ones who enter the portal, and the ones who do are all scarfed up by the big boys.

I still think the line next year will be better than it was this year (barring any unforeseen transfers), just by virtue of everyone being a year older. Kradel and Zubovic have sucked, so we're losing like nothing. And getting Golcalves back, though I don't expect it, would be a huge bonus.

H2P!
This.

This is why the offense is a cluster****. We're trying to develop a QB with no running game to lean on.

Can't win like that.

At best, you'll find like one starting-caliber offensive lineman in the portal. It's the reason Colorado sucks, despite all the other quality players they brought in that way. There aren't many good ones who enter the portal, and the ones who do are all scarfed up by the big boys.

I still think the line next year will be better than it was this year (barring any unforeseen transfers), just by virtue of everyone being a year older. Kradel and Zubovic have sucked, so we're losing like nothing. And getting Golcalves back, though I don't expect it, would be a huge bonus.
Losing Jacoby & Gonsalves were big blows.

Pitt is a great example that nothing matters more than QB, Steelers too! If Steelers had even mediocre QB play right now, they might be a serious contender, maybe they should have drafted Sam Howell.
Not commenting on who should have been picked. I was watching Good Morning Football today and they showed passing stats. I was surprised that Howell was leading the league in passing yards and average per game

Not commenting on who should have been picked. I was watching Good Morning Football today and they showed passing stats. I was surprised that Howell was leading the league in passing yards and average per game
Howell can sling it. He has far more natural ability than Pickett.

Sam regressed his junior year at UNC because the OL play sucked. They couldn't protect him.

Forget paying random kids $10K/year or whatever. A QB makes a difference. I dont know what level of QB we can get for $1 million but we need to think outside the box here. Maybe we should overpay for a good QB. Its the only way I see us getting to 6-6 next year. Otherwise, with the mass transfers out and lower transfers in, we are looking at another bad season.
I said this about a month ago. In fact, I was more specific. Texas starting QB is a Sophomore, Quinn Ewers. When he got hurt, was a Freshman, Maalik Murphy. They have four other QB's on that roster One of the young men, is a Freshman named Arch Manning. Reach out through the many different ways of doing so, find some bug money and offer the young Manning $5 million or so to come up here and start immediately. He probably comes with a hand selected QB coach by the Manning family. Make that gentleman the new OC as well and you are set for at least the next two years.

Just a clarification, I agree about lineman in the portal but I was thinking more of recruits. I realize that it would take probably 2 years to begin seeing a return on those investments but the sooner u start the sooner u will c results.

I'm at the point where I wonder if you start drinking every day before 10AM.
LOL! No, but unlike you I don't worship Kenny and give him a dozen benefits of the doubt and make excuses for him just because he's a Pitt guy, he needs to improve fast or maybe they need to get someone else. I'm more interested in the Steelers having a top notch QB than a Pitt guy succeeding.

Last edited:
Howell can sling it. He has far more natural ability than Pickett.

Sam regressed his junior year at UNC because the OL play sucked. They couldn't protect him.
Could be that Kenny fooled everyone and had the one magical Covid year, and seemed like he surpassed guys like Howell, maybe he really is just the 4th-5th round pick he was projected as originally.

The QB you describe is the kind that Pitt needs to seek. G5 or even FCS guys who lit it up at their level, and ideally as a combo package with their OC. Guys who had success at their level and hungry to try to repeat it at the top level. No more failed loser hacks like we’ve been begging to come in.

he can throw a slant. he can throw a 15 crossing pattern, you dont need to be dan marino to throw a deep post..

it's just mind boggling how bad we ignore the middle of the field.. hell, jesse james that clown with ben would just run 6 yards and turn around 5 times a game and ben would just get an easy 5 yards, you cant do that?

Dionte can run a quick slant, i've seen him do it, it's possible. I mean he does it then immediately makes a crazy cut that pops his hamstring but he can do it..

pickett's arm is fine. this is a canada / tomlin thing where they dont want him throwing an int so just have him "manage" an extremely conservative game plan and well hope our De gets the timely turnover. so far it's working but damned how many times can you expect this to work?
What they're doing is working though.
I know it ain't pretty, and kills the fantasy football guys, but they are 6-3 and a half a game out of first in the toughest division in pro football!!

You can easily see how they could win 11 or 12 games playing like this the rest of the way.

Ugly wins are still wins. Lard assed Madden doesn't care for it, so that makes it even more entertaining.

I know it ain't pretty, and kills the fantasy football guys, but they are 6-3 and a half a game out of first in the toughest division in pro football!!

You can easily see how they could win 11 or 12 games playing like this the rest of the way.

Ugly wins are still wins. Lard assed Madden doesn't care for it, so that makes it even more entertaining.
i cant disagree.

Our defense getting the "timely" late turnover is insane how consistently they do it. interception or a sack strip fumble, i mean, every week it saves us the game.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
i cant disagree.

Our defense getting the "timely" late turnover is insane how consistently they do it. interception or a sack strip fumble, i mean, every week it saves us the game.
Back in the day, Minnesota had a QB, Joe Kapp.
Threw the football like a shot put, ran like a Clydesdale, but somehow he won games.
Got the Vikings into the Super Bowl, and he's now enshrined in Canton.
Labeled the best bad QB ever!

Maybe Pickett can follow in his footsteps??

Amazing the Steelers D is still playing well without Holcomb and Fitzpatrick, and Cam for most of the season?? THAT is truly amazing!

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

So will it work in a playoff game against a good team, a good offense? 2 or 3 straight weeks? I seriously think winning ugly is not a playoff formula.

Threw the football like a shot put, ran like a Clydesdale, but somehow he won games.

Amazing the Steelers D is still playing well without Holcomb and Fitzpatrick, and Cam for most of the season?? THAT is truly amazing!
If it wasn't for Namath beating the Colts in Super Bowl III, that Joe Kapp Vikings team would be remembered as the NFL power embarrassed by the AFL in Super Bowl IV, they lost to KC 23-7, and that KC team was new-fangled razzle dazzle crazy formation offense with the mad scientist offensive guru Hank Stram. and Joe Kapp is not in the Hall of Fame, unless maybe the CFL Hall of Fame, he was only in the NFL 4 years starting at age 29, and only had one good year. I do remember he threw 7 TD passes in one game that year, and only 19 total for the year.

• Sad
So will it work in a playoff game against a good team, a good offense? 2 or 3 straight weeks? I seriously think winning ugly is not a playoff formula.
As was posted above (though in much more PC terms), the franchise is a prisoner of its social experiments at this point. Their priority is go 9-8 every year to prove their social statement hire is bestest coach ever.

The media aids and abets them by never mentioning the obvious decade-plus long playoff drought but preposterous sycophantic pandering … like the announcers yesterday gushing over how “cool” Tomlin calls a timeout.

OMG, No. Body. Cares. And nobody with a pulse wants continuous .510 seasons. Fans want swashbucklers. Go big or die trying, and the beauty of the NFL is, even if you die trying, you still get the top picks the next year, and maybe you don’t have to roll the dice on a dubious QB like Pickett who had one single decent college season during a down year for a a bad conference.

Joe Kapp not enshrined in Canton. Actually he had a very brief NFL career only played 4 seasons.

• Sad
Forget paying random kids $10K/year or whatever. A QB makes a difference. I dont know what level of QB we can get for $1 million but we need to think outside the box here. Maybe we should overpay for a good QB. Its the only way I see us getting to 6-6 next year. Otherwise, with the mass transfers out and lower transfers in, we are looking at another bad season.
Find the guy. Send the check.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT