ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Thoughts

cruzer

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001
Firing Cignetti was a good start to the off season. Narduzzi needs to keep that train rolling. At a minimum Borbely, Powell, and Manalac should go. I also wouldn't be all that upset if they booted Salem for good measure.

In terms of the OC hire, rather then speculate on specific names, I'll just outline what I'd be looking for in an OC (though I doubt that either PN or HL will be calling for advice):

1. Someone who is NOT looking to run a ball control offense. We need someone who is looking to score bunches of points.

2. Pass first to set up the run. We definitely need someone who is going to pass the ball and look to score on chunk plays. Doesn't mean we're going to abandon run completely, but we need to throw the ball and mix in the run rather then run up the middle, run up the middle and throw on 3rd and long. We can't be constantly behind the chains on 3rd down.

3. We need a great recruiter. Not OK, not average....great. Someone who kids really want to come play for. Someone who can close the deal on high level impact players. Also, recruiting applies to hiring position coaches as well. Needs to be able to attract coaching talent (particularly a QB coach).

4. Hire someone who is relatively young. No more broken down old guys on their way to retirement (or worse). Obviously, they should have OC experience, but I'd prefer and up and coming younger coach all day long. Theoretically, someone who could step up to head coach once Narduzzi's contract expires (or he gets canned).

5. Bonus points if he is an excellent ballroom dancer.

6. Smokin hot wife would be a nice added touch.....makes for a great distraction if we're getting blown out again.

Cruzer

Right. #2. Analytics suggest the Chiefs brand of offense is the way to go. Duh. But it’s aggression on first down by any means.

It’s not about the X’s and the O’s. It’s about the Jimmies and the Joes. Recruiting. Speed. Recruiting. And…Hungry offensive mindset.

It’s not about the X’s and the O’s. It’s about the Jimmies and the Joes. Recruiting. Speed. Recruiting. And…Hungry offensive mindset.
well we havent had really good recruiting classes since the late 80's under about 5-6 different coaches spanning over a 30 year period so i think it's time for pitt fans to realize that we arent ever going to recruit on that level ever again, no matter who the coach..

so we better find someone who can coach and develop.

Reactions: TD_6082
Firing Cignetti was a good start to the off season. Narduzzi needs to keep that train rolling. At a minimum Borbely, Powell, and Manalac should go. I also wouldn't be all that upset if they booted Salem for good measure.

In terms of the OC hire, rather then speculate on specific names, I'll just outline what I'd be looking for in an OC (though I doubt that either PN or HL will be calling for advice):

1. Someone who is NOT looking to run a ball control offense. We need someone who is looking to score bunches of points.

2. Pass first to set up the run. We definitely need someone who is going to pass the ball and look to score on chunk plays. Doesn't mean we're going to abandon run completely, but we need to throw the ball and mix in the run rather then run up the middle, run up the middle and throw on 3rd and long. We can't be constantly behind the chains on 3rd down.

3. We need a great recruiter. Not OK, not average....great. Someone who kids really want to come play for. Someone who can close the deal on high level impact players. Also, recruiting applies to hiring position coaches as well. Needs to be able to attract coaching talent (particularly a QB coach).

4. Hire someone who is relatively young. No more broken down old guys on their way to retirement (or worse). Obviously, they should have OC experience, but I'd prefer and up and coming younger coach all day long. Theoretically, someone who could step up to head coach once Narduzzi's contract expires (or he gets canned).

6. Smokin hot wife would be a nice added touch.....makes for a great distraction if we're getting blown out again.

Cruzer
Manalac?

He is just getting started. The strength of the LBs is in its youth, the players he recruited.

Brandon GeorgeRedshirt Senior
Shayne SimonRedshirt Senior
Bangally KamaraSenior
Solomon DeShieldsRedshirt Junior
Luke DelGaudioRedshirt Junior
Aydin HenninghamRedshirt Junior
Dylan BennettRedshirt Sophomore
Nick LapiRedshirt Sophomore
Kyle LouisRedshirt Freshman
Drew FosterRedshirt Freshman
Abe IbrahimRedshirt Freshman
Jordan BassFreshman
Rasheem BilesFreshman
Braylan LovelaceFreshman
Jeremiah MarcelinCommit
Cameron LindseyCommit

well we havent had really good recruiting classes since the late 80's under about 5-6 different coaches spanning over a 30 year period so i think it's time for pitt fans to realize that we arent ever going to recruit on that level ever again, no matter who the coach..

so we better find someone who can coach and develop.
And that's what Duzz has done.

Problem is, it's impossible to hit on enough development type guys to sustain success. When they leave early for the NFL, the impact is usually felt.

And the problem going forward is that you're most likely just developing them for a better opportunity if they have success as an underclassman.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
And that's what Duzz has done.

Problem is, it's impossible to hit on enough development type guys to sustain success. When they leave early for the NFL, the impact is usually felt.

And the problem going forward is that you're most likely just developing them for a better opportunity if they have success as an underclassman.
yeah but many non P5 schools doing the same for us to poach too. We arent on top of the food chain but we sure arent on the bottom either..

with your first point, we arent competing against, Georgia, ohio state, bama, we are competing against NC state, wake, syracuse, Virginia tech. All programs that have the same difficulties that we do, bigger fish poaching their "developed" players..

Reactions: TD_6082

Cruzer

The whole offensive staff needs to go.

yeah but many non P5 schools doing the same for us to poach too. We arent on top of the food chain but we sure arent on the bottom either..

with your first point, we arent competing against, Georgia, ohio state, bama, we are competing against NC state, wake, syracuse, Virginia tech. All programs that have the same difficulties that we do, bigger fish poaching their "developed" players..
Very true. Although for some reason, and this is just hunch, (I have zero evidence to back this up) I feel like VaTech & NC State would put up more of a fight to keep their guys.

Duzz needs to evolve. Tampering is rampant, and if he's not actively trying to poach players to fill needs, he's going to get buried in short order.

Very true. Although for some reason, and this is just hunch, (I have zero evidence to back this up) I feel like VaTech & NC State would put up more of a fight to keep their guys.

Duzz needs to evolve. Tampering is rampant, and if he's not actively trying to poach players to fill needs, he's going to get buried in short order.
i still think the portal and even going back to include grad transfers has helped our program a lot more than hurt us.. Besides Addison, really not many players left the program that left you angry..

I just find it weird that pitt fans always talk about the Portal as some doomsday creation that will ruin all of college football for everyone but the blue bloods and how anyone good will go to Georgia or ohio state when in reality, it has actually helped middle of the road P5 programs like Pitt much more than hurt us.

Now that could change this off season but as of now, The portal has helped us way much more than hurt us..

Reactions: NCPitt

Cruzer

#2 is never going to happen, and frankly doesn't need to happen. There are plenty of up tempo run first offenses out there that score on chunk plays. In fact, there are more run first than pass first offenses.

#3 isn't likely to happen either. What OC's are great recruiters? Position coaches need to be lights out recruiters.

Regarding #4, I don't care how old they are. I care that they can score points and stress a defense.

Manalac?

He is just getting started. The strength of the LBs is in its youth, the players he recruited.

Brandon GeorgeRedshirt Senior
Shayne SimonRedshirt Senior
Bangally KamaraSenior
Solomon DeShieldsRedshirt Junior
Luke DelGaudioRedshirt Junior
Aydin HenninghamRedshirt Junior
Dylan BennettRedshirt Sophomore
Nick LapiRedshirt Sophomore
Kyle LouisRedshirt Freshman
Drew FosterRedshirt Freshman
Abe IbrahimRedshirt Freshman
Jordan BassFreshman
Rasheem BilesFreshman
Braylan LovelaceFreshman
Jeremiah MarcelinCommit
Cameron LindseyCommit
Where’s NJ’s Brewton? One of the best in mideast? Not sold on Quip as LB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT