ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt/PSU twitter battle

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Funny thing is Hugh Freeze actually stole my idea and said teams should play other teams for their Spring Game. Well actually, I said it should be your intrasquad game and then the next week vs a rival. Most other sports play off-season exhibition games. Football is one of the few that do not. But Dayon Hayes said PSU would be scared and then it was on.

I don't know if PSU is "scared" to play Pitt. But they are absolutely scared of a potential loss to them which they feel could hurt recruiting. They would lose to Pitt around 25% of the time and for them, that's a really really bad loss even if we are good. They'd rather take their chances vs middle tier programs like Auburn, VT, WVU, etc.

Reactions: Celtsfan
Schools can’t convince their best to suit up for the freakin Orange Bowl. You think they’ll show up in April? Stupid idea.

Guys that are going to be high draft picks in a year? No. They'll play a series or 2 or not at all similar to current Spring Games. But the vast majority of players will play. And 80K-100K will happily pay lots of money to go to these April exhibition games in the midwest and south and ESPN and Fox will be happy to televise them and ratings for an April Michigan/ND game will be unreal. It will happen eventually. Too much money on the table. And it was my idea

I thought the freeze idea was to play a lower level team in the spring, like a Duquesne, YSU etc.

Guys that are going to be high draft picks in a year? No. They'll play a series or 2 or not at all similar to current Spring Games. But the vast majority of players will play. And 80K-100K will happily pay lots of money to go to these April exhibition games in the midwest and south and ESPN and Fox will be happy to televise them and ratings for an April Michigan/ND game will be unreal. It will happen eventually. Too much money on the table. And it was my idea
You’re to stupid to insult

I really try my best to avoid any Pitt/PSU Twitter discourse. Already blocked a few of those creepy trolls (I’m sure some of you know who I’m talking about). I guess Dayon started this but whatever… still avoid.

I mean, its factual. Pitt proposed to Penn State that they play on a more frequent basis, and Penn State declined.

Reactions: Steeltheone

Funny thing is Hugh Freeze actually stole my idea and said teams should play other teams for their Spring Game. Well actually, I said it should be your intrasquad game and then the next week vs a rival. Most other sports play off-season exhibition games. Football is one of the few that do not. But Dayon Hayes said PSU would be scared and then it was on.

I don't know if PSU is "scared" to play Pitt. But they are absolutely scared of a potential loss to them which they feel could hurt recruiting. They would lose to Pitt around 25% of the time and for them, that's a really really bad loss even if we are good. They'd rather take their chances vs middle tier programs like Auburn, VT, WVU, etc.
Just wondering how you arrived at the "they would lose to Pitt around 25% of the time"???
You have no objective evidence to support your statement and please don't tell me about what they have done against each other back in 2000 or 2019 because those results mean nothing about what would occur now if the two were to play each other.
They reality of it is, psu doesn't feel the need to play Pitt. They are like the local top high school football players that feel that they are to "BIG TIME" to play for Pitt and leave to go out of town. I love it when those types of players, come back here and want to play for the Panthers. psu will do the same one day as soon as their leadership realize that they will NEVER be more then the 3rd or 4th best team in the big 10. Pitt could produce the same results playing in the big 10.

Reactions: Harlo4PITT
Just wondering how you arrived at the "they would lose to Pitt around 25% of the time"???
You have no objective evidence to support your statement and please don't tell me about what they have done against each other back in 2000 or 2019 because those results mean nothing about what would occur now if the two were to play each other.
They reality of it is, psu doesn't feel the need to play Pitt. They are like the local top high school football players that feel that they are to "BIG TIME" to play for Pitt and leave to go out of town. I love it when those types of players, come back here and want to play for the Panthers. psu will do the same one day as soon as their leadership realize that they will NEVER be more then the 3rd or 4th best team in the big 10. Pitt could produce the same results playing in the big 10.

I think Pitt can win more than 25% of the time, potentially much more. However, due to the differences in recruiting, I would say 25% is pretty safe. That said, look at the Mich/MSU series. I could see Pitt going through a stretch owning PSU with inferior (on-paper) recruits. And that is what PSU is afraid of.

This is a typical Penn State response. Their thinking is "we arent afraid of Pitt, we are better than them." And they are in most years. In most years, they will have better players. But all Penn State fans know that they aren't going to beat Pitt every single year. If we scheduled a 10 game series, they arent going to win all 10. Even if they won 8, to a Penn State fan, that would not be acceptable. So there is a tremendous about of fear about losing those 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever games out of 10. For them, losing to Pitt hurts their reason for existence. They would rather take their chances vs VT, WVU, Syracuse, Auburn, and all the other Pitt-like programs they schedule.

I don’t think you’re as bad as others on this board say you are, so I’ll entertain you.

First off, if PSU was afraid of non conference losses, they wouldn’t drop Pitt to schedule a home and home with Auburn. Pitt is a regional school, while Auburn is an SEC power. Yes Auburn stunk in ‘22, but remember that the negotiations between the 2 schools started shortly after Auburn’s national title game appearance. Obviously, PSU was trying to beef up the schedule.

Secondly, and to be quite honest, Pitt isn’t in the position to scare PSU on a broader scale. Yes they might win a game here and there like you said, but the odds of that become slimmer every year.

Over the last 30 years, PSU has won 10 of the last 12 games, and most of them haven’t really been that close, tbh. Pitt’s 2 wins have been by a combined 15 points. PSU’s 10 wins have been by a combined 162 points.

Furthermore, that was the last 30 years. When you look at the trajectory of the 2 programs moving forward, including recruiting, brand exposure, conference affiliation, money, and other resources, I think it’s safe to say that the gap between the 2 programs will be even greater in the next 30 years than it was in the last 30.

Pitt has a very, very long way to go if it wants to scare an all-time top 10 school like Penn State.

I don’t think you’re as bad as others on this board say you are, so I’ll entertain you.

First off, if PSU was afraid of non conference losses, they wouldn’t drop Pitt to schedule a home and home with Auburn. Pitt is a regional school, while Auburn is an SEC power. Yes Auburn stunk in ‘22, but remember that the negotiations between the 2 schools started shortly after Auburn’s national title game appearance. Obviously, PSU was trying to beef up the schedule.

Secondly, and to be quite honest, Pitt isn’t in the position to scare PSU on a broader scale. Yes they might win a game here and there like you said, but the odds of that become slimmer every year.

Over the last 30 years, PSU has won 10 of the last 12 games, and most of them haven’t really been that close, tbh. Pitt’s 2 wins have been by a combined 15 points. PSU’s 10 wins have been by a combined 162 points.

Furthermore, that was the last 30 years. When you look at the trajectory of the 2 programs moving forward, including recruiting, brand exposure, conference affiliation, money, and other resources, I think it’s safe to say that the gap between the 2 programs will be even greater in the next 30 years than it was in the last 30.

Pitt has a very, very long way to go if it wants to scare an all-time top 10 school like Penn State.
LOL. Your dead coach would be proud of how you've slurped the kool aid.

Reactions: PITTstorm

If I didn't already know that PSU fans are this delusional in real life then I'd swear that this was yet another Phil satire account.

Lol don’t just take the low road and hurl insults. Show me where I’m factually incorrect.
Dude, you're a UPS fan trolling a Pitt board with a new handle. Which means you've been here multiple times before. You're obsessed with Pitt, or a loser with nothing better to do. Take your pick.

I would never waste my time on a UPS board.

I never understood why regional teams don't play one another more and always use the dumb "we have nothing to gain" excuse. It makes no sense why Arkansas and Arkansas State don't play and it took political action for a Delaware/Delaware State and Louisville/Kentucky to play. Maryland and Navy don't play anymore because of the actions of an idiot Terps player but good heavens it's time to move on.

Yeah, it would never happen. any kind of game that doesnt count wont happen. I would love for Pitt to play you guys, but it has been said in the past with Alabama/Auburn down here too, and there is just too much riding on a completely meaningless exhibition.

If a 10 game home and home was scheduled, how many does Pitt win? 0?

You know they'd win at least 2 and that's why PSU won't play us. They do not want to lose to Pitt. Pitt has won 2 of the last 5 with the last game coming down to the end. The year before, it was a "whatever" game in that monsoon. We have the ball down 7-6 with 1 minute left in the 1st Half and somehow we lose 51-6. We both know PSU wasn't 45 points better. That was an all-time choke/weather job. PSU deserved to win but it should have been like a 24-17 type game and that's the way it was going as Pitt was trying to take the halftime lead.

Undoubtedly, PSU would lose some games to Pitt and they cant have that.

If I didn't already know that PSU fans are this delusional in real life then I'd swear that this was yet another Phil satire account.
Hey, that was an impassioned defense of his school that easily smacked SMF square in the teeth until you realize he did a very SMF thing by ignoring the absolute meat grinders they've scheduled going forward.

• Wow
Reactions: FireballZ
I always felt that after Penn State joined the Big Ten Paterno's feelings toward Pitt and the other northeast school was that he tried to form a conference with them and they turned them down so he was done with them.

Hey you guys tied yourself to anything anti psu and now you’re totally screwed the Acc is done Clemson Miami and fsu will bolt to the sec. Nc and va tech will join the big how’s that working now

Reactions: PSU621
Pitt is in untenable situation psu may lose most of the games with usc osu and Michigan moving forward but still benefit financially beyond all belief and still compete for the playoffs on a regular basis

As a group Pitt by far has the better coaches. We just don’t get the high pedigree players they do because of $$$. On the whole Pitt puts their players in a much better position to succeed at the next level. That is coaching!

Pitt is in untenable situation psu may lose most of the games with usc osu and Michigan moving forward but still benefit financially beyond all belief and still compete for the playoffs on a regular basis

A Penn State fan in a nutshell. They might lose the actual games, but they win where it really matters, in things like money and attendance.

There's a stench in this room coming from....wait, it seems to be entirely from a bunch of nitters rationalizing their existence. They shouldn't even be playing football for a long, long time. And they have the balls to say their program is a top program and better than Pitt's?? They seem to be a bit misguided. Or stupid. Or both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT