ADVERTISEMENT

You’re given 25 points. How do you change Pitt FB history?

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
The game goes like this: you have 25 points to add to any Pitt football game(s). How would you allocate them in order to significantly change our history?

The rules are that you must add the point differential + 1pt for a regulation loss or just 1pt for an overtime loss.

I’ll start:
1. Add 4pts to the WMU game and 5pts to the Miami game during the 2021 season (9pts); Pitt finishes regular season 13-0 and makes the CFP
2. Add 2pts to the 2009 Cincinnati game (11pts); Pitt wins the Big East and plays Tebow’s Gators in the Sugar Bowl
3. Add 10pts to the 1982 Penn State game (21pts); #5 Pitt defeats #2 PSU and likely plays for a national championship game
4. Add 4pts to the 1987 Temple game (25pts); that team is one of my all-time favorite Pitt teams and a 9-2 record puts them in position to play in a major bowl game

I was tempted to use 15pts on the 1980 FSU game, but I decided to spread the wealth around. What say you?

Last edited:
The 9 total points for 2021 is good. Can’t argue with that.

I also agree with 2009. So we’re at 11.

I would add 8 points to 2008 Cincinnati, too, which would result in back-to-back Big East titles and BCS bowl games (19 points expended)

Then, I would add 4 points to 2016 VT and 2 points to 2016 UNC to get us to our 25. That puts us at 10-2 (7-1), which would have put us in another ACC championship game in a Clemson rematch, and maybe even an at-large NY6.

So with those 25 points, I’ve purchased us a playoff appearance, two Big East championships, and an ACC division title and at least an appearance in the championship game, if not an ACC championship. And definitely two, but possibly three BCS/NY6 bowl games.

The game goes like this: you have 25 points to add to any Pitt football game(s). How would you allocate them in order to significantly change our history?

The rules are that you must add the point differential + 1pt for a regulation loss or just 1pt for an overtime loss.

I’ll start:
1. Add 4pts to the WMU game and 5pts to the Miami game during the 2021 season (9pts); Pitt finishes regular season 13-0 and makes the CFP
2. Add 2pts to the 2009 Cincinnati game (11pts); Pitt wins the Big East and plays Tebow’s Gators in the Sugar Bowl
3. Add 10pts to the 1982 Penn State game (21pts); #5 Pitt defeats #2 PSU and likely plays for a national championship game
4. Add 4pts to the 1987 Temple game (25pts); that team is one of my all-time favorite Pitt teams and a 9-2 record puts them in position to play in a major bowl game

I was tempted to add all 25pts to the 1980 FSU game, but I decided to spread the wealth around. What say you?
I was tempted to add all 25pts to the 1980 FSU game, but I decided to spread the wealth around.... You only needed 15.

Add 14 to 1980 Fla State game for a tie and 10-0-1 record and a national title game bowl.
Add 11 to 1979 North Carolina game for an 11-0 record and a national title bowl game.

I was tempted to add all 25pts to the 1980 FSU game, but I decided to spread the wealth around.... You only needed 15.

Add 14 to 1980 Fla State game for a tie and 10-0-1 record and a national title game bowl.
Add 11 to 1979 North Carolina game for an 11-0 record and a national title bowl game.
Yeah, not sure where my head was at there. And that’s a good point regarding ties. It’s wild to think we had four consecutive teams that very well could’ve/would’ve/should’ve played for a national championship.

I’ll start:

I was tempted to add all 25pts to the 1980 FSU game, but I decided to spread the wealth around. What say you?
They lost 36-22 to FSU so that would only take up 15 points. It would be worth it. Use 2 for the Cincy game. Use the other 8 anyway you want.

1. 2009 season use 4 points to beat WVU and 2 points to beat Cincy.
2. 2021 use 9 points to erase WMU and Miami losses.
3. 1981 use 2 points to beat SMU.
4. 2016 use 6 points to erase VT and UNC losses.
5. I have 2 points left. There has to be a 1 point loss out there that needs erased.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
1. 2009 season use 4 points to beat WVU and 2 points to beat Cincy.
2. 2021 use 9 points to erase WMU and Miami losses.
3. 1981 use 2 points to beat SMU.
4. 2016 use 6 points to erase VT and UNC losses.
5. I have 2 points left. There has to be a 1 point loss out there that needs erased.
I’d use it on the Armed Forces Bowl. It’s a meaningless game, but it still makes me illogically frustrated.

Reactions: kma0043
They lost 36-22 to FSU so that would only take up 15 points. It would be worth it. Use 2 for the Cincy game. Use the other 8 anyway you want.
Thinking about it, I’d use 5 of my remaining 8 to beat Miami in 2021 cause that likely gets us in the playoff. I’ll have to think about the last 3 points.

Damm you Jordan for running the route wrong!!

Screw that. It's currently the worst bowl game of all time, only add 3 points to make it a 3-3 tie so that the title can never be taken.
Then add seven for Pitt Bradley mbb game. These clear out my in person game nightmares. Aaron Gray just missed another put back. Damn.

Last edited:
Simone might have put the same ones but I fix 1979 by giving Pitt 11 points versus unc and that team goes undefeated

Then I give the best Pitt team ever 1980 5 points against fsu giving Pitt back to back championships and 3 national championships in a small stretch of years.

Then I give Kenny Pickett my last 9 points. 4 to beat western Michigan and 5 to beat Miami and that team heads to the national playoffs.

H2P

I’ll start:

I was tempted to use 15pts on the 1980 FSU game, but I decided to spread the wealth around. What say you?
- Use 3 points in 1927 ..... we were 8-1-1 with a 0-0 tie against W&J and a 7-6 loss to Stanford in the Rose Bowl ..... use the 3 points and we would have been 10-0 and National Champions as Texas A&M (8-0-1) and Georgia (9-1) were both declared champions that year.

- Use 13 points in 1963 ..... the 9-1 no bowl team with a 24-12 loss to Navy ..... we would have been 10-0 and played for the National Championship in a bowl game.

- Use the remaining 9 points in 2021 to offset the WMU and Miami losses and we would be 13-0 and in the CFP with another chance to win a National Championship.

So, with the above, we win the National Championship in 1927, play for the National Championship in 1963, and play in the CFP with a chance to win the National Championship in 2021.

Simone might have put the same ones but I fix 1979 by giving Pitt 11 points versus unc and that team goes undefeated

Then I give the best Pitt team ever 1980 5 points against fsu giving Pitt back to back championships and 3 national championships in a small stretch of years.

Then I give Kenny Pickett my last 9 points. 4 to beat western Michigan and 5 to beat Miami and that team heads to the national playoffs.

H2P
You would have to give FSU 15 points in 1980 as they beat us by 14 (36-22) ...... but you are right, many think that may have been Pitt's "best" team.

Last edited:
- Use 3 points in 1927 ..... we were 8-1-1 with a 0-0 tie against W&J and a 7-6 loss to Stanford in the Rose Bowl ..... use the 3 points and we would have been 10-0 and National Champions as Texas A&M (8-0-1) and Georgia (9-1) were both declared champions that year.

- Use 13 points in 1963 ..... the 9-1 no bowl team with a 24-12 loss to Navy ..... we would have been 10-0 and played for the National Championship in a bowl game.

- Use the remaining 9 points in 2021 to offset the WMU and Miami losses and we would be 13-0 and in the CFP with another chance to win a National Championship.

So, with the above, we win the National Championship in 1927, play for the National Championship in 1963, and play in the CFP with a chance to win the National Championship in 2021.
Hadn’t even thought to go back that far- great choices!

Reactions: jctrack
Then there was the 1960 team with Mike Ditka going 4-3-3.
Seven total points would have made this a 9-1 team, and the independent with the best record.
Wins were over at No. 3 Syracuse, at Notre Dame, Miami (Fla), and WVU.
Ties were with No. 6 Michigan State, at TCU, and Army.
1 point losses at UCLA and at Oklahoma.
That leaves a 14-3 home loss in the finale to PSU.

Then there was the 1960 team with Mike Ditka going 4-3-3.
Seven total points would have made this a 9-1 team, and the independent with the best record.
Wins were over at No. 3 Syracuse, at Notre Dame, Miami (Fla), and WVU.
Ties were with No. 6 Michigan State, at TCU, and Army.
1 point losses at UCLA and at Oklahoma.
That leaves a 14-3 home loss in the finale to PSU.
Another good answer! I knew of the 1963 team and some of Michaeloson’s 50s teams, but I had no idea how close we came in 1960.

I see on Wikipedia that we started the season ranked #7; if we beat #6 Michigan State in week two and then #3 Syracuse, I think we’d have a really good chance at being named the national champion.

I’d use it on the Armed Forces Bowl. It’s a meaningless game, but it still makes me illogically frustrated.
Losing that game, and the way they lost it, to me is one of the most frustrating, even though it was quote un quote meaningless.Got to remember, I have only been a Pitt fan since 1988.So I missed a lot of good and a lot of bad before that.

I really appreciate it when folks go back further into history for responses. Thank you!! The 1963 Navy response is hard to get away from.

Nonetheless, I’m still so hard pressed not to give 15 points to the FSU game. That game was a fluke and that was a national championship team. If we win 2 championships in 5 years, I just don’t see us letting Jackie go, and we never let down in the later 80’s and 90’s like we did.

Naaa … let’s give all 15 to the FSU game … that wins that game and that team is considered one of the very greatest in the history of college football as they likely finish 12-0. A tie taints that.

All the people saying 5 points for the 2021 Miami game just makes me all the more furious about the safety non-call. The wrong call was made and Pitt was robbed of a chance at a drive into field goal range for the win. No guarantee Pitt would have got a game winning field if the right call was made; but the call was in my opinion egregiously bad and cost Pitt a shot at a drive that could have netted a playoff birth.

All the people saying 5 points for the 2021 Miami game just makes me all the more furious about the safety non-call. The wrong call was made and Pitt was robbed of a chance at a drive into field goal range for the win. No guarantee Pitt would have got a game winning field if the right call was made; but the call was in my opinion egregiously bad and cost Pitt a shot at a drive that could have netted a playoff birth.
What should make you more mad is that we gave Miami an easy first down right after that play. The safety was so close. It’s hard to know if it was the right call. But the coverage on the play after was inexcusable.

What should make you more mad is that we gave Miami an easy first down right after that play. The safety was so close. It’s hard to know if it was the right call. But the coverage on the play after was inexcusable.

I love narduzzi but that was a classic 3rd down and 35 with almost zero on the play clock and he calls a timeout only for the next play to convert the long 3rd down. I am probably misremembering some elements here but that is what I recall.

1) without question, 15 points to beat Fla State and play for another natty

2) in 2010, wannstedts farewell season,

Give me 7 points to beat Notre Dame 24-23

Give me my final 3 points to beat Uconn 31-30

This gives Wannstedt back to back 10 win seasons and likely wins the power struggle with Pederson.

The Wannstedt recruiting gets even better and Pitt today is with Clemson as an elite school in the ACC and a national player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT