ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt soccer got new turf

As long as it pleases the coaches and helps recruiting it is a good thing.
It’s interesting because while in recruiting, coach Waldrum specifically spoke about converting that field over to grass. But, this shows that Pitt isn’t quite where they need to be with facilities because that pitch needs to be used for games and training sessions for both programs and grass just isn’t feasible. I know coaches prefer grass. But I don’t think it matters much to high school recruits.

The old turf wasnt even that old and it was said to be FIFA approved, but hey, if the coaches wanted this, then great but I think they need grass.

It’s interesting because while in recruiting, coach Waldrum specifically spoke about converting that field over to grass. But, this shows that Pitt isn’t quite where they need to be with facilities because that pitch needs to be used for games and training sessions for both programs and grass just isn’t feasible. I know coaches prefer grass. But I don’t think it matters much to high school recruits.
Can I hit you up with a PM? Wanted to share kid soccer with you.

The old turf wasnt even that old and it was said to be FIFA approved, but hey, if the coaches wanted this, then great but I think they need grass.
The old turf was beat. It was time. I know Coach waldrum wanted grass and said that Coach Vidovich wanted grass too. But with three programs sharing a field with no practice field, new turf is the best option right now. I can’t remember the Victory heights blueprints that were shown to me...but the soccer coaches wanted a turf field for practice and grass for games.

Last edited:
But I don’t think it matters much to high school recruits.

I wonder if the reason for that is because at the youth and even high school level so many of the grass fields are in such bad shape that the kids think it's just so nice to play on a good surface when they get on turf. Because it's pretty obvious that as players get older they start caring more and more about playing surfaces, and it isn't artificial turf they want to play on.

I wonder if the reason for that is because at the youth and even high school level so many of the grass fields are in such bad shape that the kids think it's just so nice to play on a good surface when they get on turf. Because it's pretty obvious that as players get older they start caring more and more about playing surfaces, and it isn't artificial turf they want to play on.
It’s just not a priority for them. The school. The scholarship. The education. The coach. All that is more important. 90% of these kids aren’t going pro. And 99% of the girls are not.

My kid plays in the south. Her surface looks like the 18th green at Oakmont. Many facilities in the south do. That’s easy. Then you have schools like Akron who have a world class surface in their soccer stadium in a northern climate. But they have field turf that they train on. They are able to keep their stadium in pristine shape. But as a whole, players from the northeast could care less what they play on. They’re used to field turf. Look at your niece where she plays. It’s turf, but I’m sure the players enjoy the surroundings. It’s a great venue for soccer. I’m sure they saw the field, saw the great atmosphere around it and didn’t give the surface a 2nd thought on their unofficial visits.
High point university was mentioned above. My daughter has played there. The place is a cross between a country club and a Disney resort. It’s unbelievable. The stadium is a shared soccer/lacrosse stadium. It’s turf. No one cares because the facilities are unreal.

I hated turf when I played, and there weren’t many turf pitches back then. It doesn’t allow the same control of the ball. It also used to be harder when you fell on it, but I think that no longer is an issue.

I hated turf when I played, and there weren’t many turf pitches back then. It doesn’t allow the same control of the ball. It also used to be harder when you fell on it, but I think that no longer is an issue.

that's the old school stuff they had at the vet, TRS, pitt stadium. i fell once, gingerly, at pitt stadium on my knew and it was severely bruised for 6 weeks.

this isn't that stuff. it's the field turf. i don't see any way a city school in the north, or really any field, that can pull off nice grass.

Reactions: ThePanthers
that's the old school stuff they had at the vet, TRS, pitt stadium. i fell once, gingerly, at pitt stadium on my knew and it was severely bruised for 6 weeks.

this isn't that stuff. it's the field turf. i don't see any way a city school in the north, or really any field, that can pull off nice grass.
I’ve been around WPIAL HS sports closely for 14 years and I’ve only seen one grass field in all of my time, and most are on their 2nd or 3rd round of field turf, which lasts about 10 years. That said, I’m sure many of the A and AA schools have grass.

The artificial turf that Mike is talking about is still ideal for field hockey. I’d imagine there are a couple pitches around western pa that still have that? Maybe one of the academies??

With Kiski finally getting a turf field, I'm not sure there is a larger school left who plays on grass.

ADVERTISEMENT