ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Stub Hub

Panther Al

Walk-on
Aug 31, 2008
Someone explain to me why all of the extra uppers or poor seats at Heinz aren't on Stub Hub rather than sitting in the Pitt bank. As discussed in the past, today's consumer doesn't purchase from the ticket office as they buy on the secondary market at market value. Case in point.

Pitt vs YSU shows about 800 tix available at $10 a piece. My guess is there are 35,000 to 40,000 seats available.

Pitt vs PSU shows about 1800 tix available at $180 a piece. The most expensive ticket for PSU including the Michigan game.

Last I checked there isn't big demand for the YSU game like a Pitt/PSU game so why not be SUPER aggressive and dump the tickets on stub hub to move them at $.25, $.50 or $1 a piece. Who cares the price. Get people in the building so we don't need to see those embarrassing yellow seats an create an atmosphere. Maybe that person will enjoy Pitt and come back for another game.

Also, to first introduce Pitt football promos three weeks before the home opener is a RED FLAG. I'm sorry but most announce promos when the schedule is announced. My guess is this is a reaction to the current tix sales. Again, not a bad idea but should have been done a LONG time ago to help attendance/atmosphere in order to land 4/5 star play makers.

H2P!

Someone explain to me why all of the extra uppers or poor seats at Heinz aren't on Stub Hub rather than sitting in the Pitt bank. As discussed in the past, today's consumer doesn't purchase from the ticket office as they buy on the secondary market at market value. Case in point.

Pitt vs YSU shows about 800 tix available at $10 a piece. My guess is there are 35,000 to 40,000 seats available.

Pitt vs PSU shows about 1800 tix available at $180 a piece. The most expensive ticket for PSU including the Michigan game.

Last I checked there isn't big demand for the YSU game like a Pitt/PSU game so why not be SUPER aggressive and dump the tickets on stub hub to move them at $.25, $.50 or $1 a piece. Who cares the price. Get people in the building so we don't need to see those embarrassing yellow seats an create an atmosphere. Maybe that person will enjoy Pitt and come back for another game.

Also, to first introduce Pitt football promos three weeks before the home opener is a RED FLAG. I'm sorry but most announce promos when the schedule is announced. My guess is this is a reaction to the current tix sales. Again, not a bad idea but should have been done a LONG time ago to help attendance/atmosphere in order to land 4/5 star play makers.

H2P!
Not a bad idea except it would piss off season ticket holders.

Reactions: Bradlib Zannamaker
OK. I get protecting the desirable games where the opposing team travels well such as a PSU, ND, WVU, etc. who would buy the season ticket package. I think Pitt needs to come up with a way to sell the less desirable games for a VERY cheap price. If you look at this year's schedule the following games should be a $1 or less for uppers: YSU, Rice, NC STATE, UVA, UNC and Miami (desirable game but late in the year). None of these teams travel well.

H2P!
Stub Hub has a $6 selling price minimum.

Good idea. I'll stop donating and buying my season tickets at face value and wait until I can buy tickets for 25 cents.

Dummy.

Pitt could give away 70,000 free tickets to the Youngstown State game and the stadium will still only have 40,000 fans there.

Reactions: WiseAndGlorious
Pitt could give away 70,000 free tickets to the Youngstown State game and the stadium will still only have 40,000 fans there.

Exactly. People don't NOT go to games because of price. I spend more on 1 saturday night in a bar than it costs me to get season tickets.

1.) Pitt's teams have dissapointed
2.) The opponents don't make an "event" that you really care to see....whether it be ysu or lower level teams of the ACC
3.) Variable kickoff times that sometimes are not known till a few days before kickoff don't help. Sundays are days off, while a lot of people work Saturdays or have kid events.

Yes waiting until 2 weeks before games until they announce game time is a big deterrent to attendance IMO.
People like to plan things.

Although it's true, what is the point of complaining about this? These games times are out of our control. They are controlled by tv networks. Pitt can do absolutely nothing about this.

Reactions: JoseLind13
Although it's true, what is the point of complaining about this? These games times are out of our control. They are controlled by tv networks. Pitt can do absolutely nothing about this.
And frankly a Pitt fan should just assume all Sat home games will be noon starts if they want to plan. It's proven to nearly always be the case, and most of the time it isn't, it's 1 or 130, hardly much difference.

Exactly. Yet it doesn't hurt some other schools. It's all mainly part of the excuse train.

Hey ill be there ...I just know some people have other things to do and they would like to know if they can make both but without game time they just say screw it.

Yes waiting until 2 weeks before games until they announce game time is a big deterrent to attendance IMO.
People like to plan things.
When has Pitt had a game time that wasn't noon or 1:00 pm the past several years?

Apparently they don't teach rudimentary math at Pedophilia State University.

H2P!

Apparently they don't teach rudimentary math at Pedophilia State University.

Yep! A great way to call yourself out as a PSU fan...let's say there are 40,000 seats available in a stadium that holds 68,400 fans. They can't beat PITT head to head in any of the major sports, so let's point to recruiting rankings and stadium attendance numbers.

Teams do a lot of market research on setting prices based on maximizing revenue.

As an example, Pitt may have decided that selling 600 tickets at $10/ticket ($6,000) is better than selling 1000 tickets at $1/ticket ($1,000).
On top of that you essentially devalue your product. If I can get a ticket for $1 to most games why should I spend money on season ticket? So having them out on the mass market for cheap is not going to work. Pitt for decades have been giving out free tickets. My father is a principal at a high school about 45 minutes outside of Pittsburgh. Every year they would get tons of free tickets to games. They would give them out for grades or anyone who asked. The problem has always been people simply did not want to use. They didn't want to deal with the traffic or parking ect to see Pitt Youngstown or just simply had no interest. You could give me free tickets and I am still not going to go to Justin Bieber concert because I have no interest.

Pitt need to win consistently. Pittsburgh have high expectations and are band wagon fans. If you aren't winning championships people aren't going to show up. It true everywhere but is worse in Pittsburgh due to success of their teams. When you are home to one of the most successful franchises in sports history you have that.

The biggest problem is the stadium is simply too big. This leads to many problems. One there is no urgency to buy or keep season tickets. Even for the biggest games you can easily get tickets. It rare that a game sells out well in advance before the general public gets a shot at tickets. In addition if something comes up you can easily drop season tickets and pick them up again. For example a friend of mine wife was due in September. He got rid of his season tickets that year. The next year he was able to get essentially the same seats.

The other issue issue with the stadium being to big is Getting people to actually show up. Season tickets are dirt cheap. So for many fans if they miss or don't sell a game or two it no big deal. With season tickets sometimes available for under $100 it no big deal to eat a ticket. People have paid more then that for a single tickets for major event. They feel they gotten their money's worth if they got to two or three games. So if it raining oh well I will just stay home. In addition due to so much supply Pitt is very generous to corporate sponsors. They get dozens of free season tickets. Often many of those go unused for poor games or when the weather is bad.

Reactions: H2P-2007
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT