ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs. PSU 2018 FB Non-Conference Schedule

Jul 7, 2001
I know Albany is a cupcake....

But there are two schools of thought....play your OOC games mostly at home against cupcakes(PSU) or teams playing Pitt that are 10-0(UCF), 10-2(Nits), and ND(9-3). UCF and ND are on the road. PSU has App St and Kent St at home, Pitt on the road.

Why does Pitt constantly schedule one of the toughest OOC schedule each year? Nothing to gain. I'd rather schedule 1 tough OOC game and 2 cupcakes at home a la PSU. Opinions?

For the longest time people complained about Pitt playing crappy opponents. And make no mistake people will fuss about the Albany game

Remember Pitt has four non conference games . Psu has three
Notre Dame is part of the Acc schedule
Ucf came off a six win season when the were scheduled. The year prior they won zero I believe. My only complaint is going there first after they reneged on a home game ten years ago

Appalachian State is not a guaranteed win for the Nits either

In Pitt's case, one tough opponent and three cupcakes or two cupcakes and one good I-AA program.

Wasn't Ucf 0-12 just two years ago?It's isn't like they were a national power when they were scheduled.Plus their coach is leaving for more money at a P5 school and their losing a lot.I'm not sure but doesn't the ACC schedule ND games against their conference teams?Plus ND was highly overrated by the media this year.Most of Psu big guns on offense are going to the Nfl and their D is losing 8 starters.Next year is the year to stick it to James he's going to be like Michigan is this year.So Ido say Pitt will be just fine next year with their OOC schedule.

Reactions: ThePanthers
For the longest time people complained about Pitt playing crappy opponents. And make no mistake people will fuss about the Albany game

Remember Pitt has four non conference games . Psu has three
Notre Dame is part of the Acc schedule
Ucf came off a six win season when the were scheduled. The year prior they won zero I believe. My only complaint is going there first after they reneged on a home game ten years ago

Appalachian State is not a guaranteed win for the Nits either
ND is not an ACC game

State College will ass kick App State you can bet that.

ND is not an ACC game

State College will ass kick App State you can bet that.
Don’t think he was meaning that ND is an ACC game, only that it pretty much gets scheduled for you by the ACC, or as a byproduct of the ACC’s agreement with ND regarding them playing so many ACC schools each year.

Reactions: paulbl99
The simple answer is that Pitt's administration had no long-term strategy in place to have a successful football program.

You are rewarded for playing no-one out of conference in today's system. Any idiot can see that; except for the idiots that run Pitt football.

I know Albany is a cupcake....

But there are two schools of thought....play your OOC games mostly at home against cupcakes(PSU) or teams playing Pitt that are 10-0(UCF), 10-2(Nits), and ND(9-3). UCF and ND are on the road. PSU has App St and Kent St at home, Pitt on the road.

Why does Pitt constantly schedule one of the toughest OOC schedule each year? Nothing to gain. I'd rather schedule 1 tough OOC game and 2 cupcakes at home a la PSU. Opinions?

Don’t think he was meaning that ND is an ACC game, only that it pretty much gets scheduled for you by the ACC, or as a byproduct of the ACC’s agreement with ND regarding them playing so many ACC schools each year.
Thanks...got it

But as well Pitt had I believe about an 8 yr contract w ND which Pitt ND scheduled independent of the ACC.

Point being had the ACC not broken that arrangement Pitt ND is playing regardless.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
Perhaps that cupcake schedule that Ped-U plays has something to do with the carnival barker's PATHETIC record against ranked teams. Conversely, Pitt is a giant killer two years in a row because our players have experience against good teams and our players are not intimidated.

Albany has some Pitt ties with HC Greg Gattuso and TE coach Nate Byham i don't mind playing a small school like this that has a little back story with it. Wish would play Dusquense or RMU

2019 will be our first manageable ooc schedule in a while and our crossover is BC at home

Thanks...got it

But as well Pitt had I believe about an 8 yr contract w ND which Pitt ND scheduled independent of the ACC.

Point being had the ACC not broken that arrangement Pitt ND is playing regardless.
There was no guarantee Notre Dame would have renewed the Pitt-ND series which we've been competitive in (wins in '04, 08, 09, 14). Pederson had to appeal to then Big East Commissioner Tranghese to renew series in late 1990s. I think there is an advantage to playing ND and the rivalry should get Pitt fans psyched.

been preaching about this for years and unless you are in the playoff hunt every year which we clearly or not then there is need for two brand name power five schools on the schedule.At the end of the year wins equal bowl opportunities and better recruiting. Now with that being said we don't want all cupcakes but the format should be on brand name school - one FCS and two others - maybe one from a non power conference and one from a power conference that you know wont quickly elevate their programs like some school like a Illinois-Purdue -Indiana- Rutgers -Kansas -Kentucky -Maryland type.

Also when scheduling the x factor is who our crossover will be . For instance in 2020 our scheduled ooc games are Richmond-Marshall and NotreDame. However our crossover that year is Florida State so hopefully Lyke and her team realize that and the fourth ooc is a w. At the end of the day records matter for bowls and recruiting.

Reactions: Large Panther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT