ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt was a factor in new playoff model

The Big 12 actually does have a clause in their contract that limits expansion. If they expand to 12 teams, then they only get enough of an increase to keep the payout at the current level. They have to add more teams to get additional money. To your other point, the Big 12 didn't expand precisely because they were told they wouldn't get more money for the teams available. They consulted the networks before they expanded, during the investigation phase.

Your questions have already been answered. The formal proposal calls for the first round to be played on campus. The second round will be played on the NY6 bowl on new year's. The semi finals will be played the following week in the remaining NY6 bowls. The title game the following week.

The title game is already played after the NFL playoffs start.

College teams already have to deal with sharing stadiums with NFL teams. It's not hard to do.

When is the last time the networks have turned down playoff expansion for a league? The NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and CFP have all expended their playoffs, and weren't turned down.

There is just way too much to the contrary evidence to make a credible argument that TV will turn down expanded playoffs.
I like your confidence. I suppose we'll see.

Would people have gotten the tingles if the divisions didn't exist in 2005 and VT would have been upset by Miami or BC (the two next highest ranked ACC teams behind VT) instead of FSU? I'm skeptical.

I doubt it.
That’s the thing about college football. It’s not college basketball. It’s not a history of David overcoming Goliath. It’s Goliath taking on Goliath.

The great upsets that play in highlight reels are a Top 5 Miami led by the first QB taken in the draft, knocking off Nebraska. BCS national title loser Auburn beating Bama. And then crazy plays like Flutie Hail Mary and the Stanford band running on the field. There isn’t a whole lot of what makes March Madness so special, because there can’t be in football.

People like upsets in college football. But these college basketball style upsets don’t drive viewership because we don’t really anticipate them. Hell, App. State beating Michigan is only ever mentioned within the context of App. State and Michigan games. It’s not like some ABC or Fox or somebody lead in to their football programming with that part of the intro package.

Reactions: pittdan77
I doubt it.
That’s the thing about college football. It’s not college basketball. It’s not a history of David overcoming Goliath. It’s Goliath taking on Goliath.

The great upsets that play in highlight reels are a Top 5 Miami led by the first QB taken in the draft, knocking off Nebraska. BCS national title loser Auburn beating Bama. And then crazy plays like Flutie Hail Mary and the Stanford band running on the field. There isn’t a whole lot of what makes March Madness so special, because there can’t be in football.

People like upsets in college football. But these college basketball style upsets don’t drive viewership because we don’t really anticipate them. Hell, App. State beating Michigan is only ever mentioned within the context of App. State and Michigan games. It’s not like some ABC or Fox or somebody lead in to their football programming with that part of the intro package.
One that immediately comes to mind for me is Boise over Oklahoma in the Fiesta, and then probably Utah over Alabama in the Sugar.

There isn't a whole lot of what makes March Madness so special because there isn't anything like March Madness in football. There is no tournament and so there is no opportunity. They pit goliath vs. goliath.

Regular season upsets are never going to have the same level of importance, but that's all we really have to look back on in football. We have no data point to compare until they actually implement a real tournament in football.

One that immediately comes to mind for me is Boise over Oklahoma in the Fiesta, and then probably Utah over Alabama in the Sugar.

There isn't a whole lot of what makes March Madness so special because there isn't anything like March Madness in football. There is no tournament and so there is no opportunity. They pit goliath vs. goliath.

Regular season upsets are never going to have the same level of importance, but that's all we really have to look back on in football. We have no data point to compare until they actually implement a real tournament in football.

Yeah, disinterested bowl games. Everybody gets why Utah blew out Alabama. Alabama left its soul in the Georgia Dome.

Yeah, disinterested bowl games. Everybody gets why Utah blew out Alabama. Alabama left its soul in the Georgia Dome.

It’s similar to when Purdue beat that K-State team. That K-State team finished number 1 in the analytics that year. It was the best team in the country, and was one game away from playing for and probably winning the NC. When it got upset by A&M in the Big 12 Title Game, and had to go play Drew Brees in a bowl game, it couldn’t have cared less about being there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT