ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Women

I caught that yesterday. I hope we can land someone who averages close to double digits in points or rebounds. Cupboard is looking a little bare. lol

At least she's a big, which we desperately need. And someone who is at least good enough to start a bunch of games in the ACC, so she might not have a high ceiling but you know there should be a reasonably high floor with her.

Reactions: 8thlight
At least she's a big, which we desperately need. And someone who is at least good enough to start a bunch of games in the ACC, so she might not have a high ceiling but you know there should be a reasonably high floor with her.
A big is obviously needed and she has started in the ACC. Replacing King who
transferred is a major need. Losing transfers Timmerson and Hutcherson are
not major losses. I did like the fact that Timmerson was a local, but she lost
minutes to Battle who IMO can be good. Verdi needs transfers from the portal
who are upgrades from the players he loses to the portal. As I see it, he needs
at least two or maybe three more legit transfers...... a forward who can score,
a guard better than the several we have returning, and another inside player
who can rebound and score. Where we are now is bottom level of the ACC. Hopefully
Verdi gets some mid ACC level talent in here. If not, its more of the same IMO.

Reactions: 8thlight
who can rebound and score. Where we are now is bottom level of the ACC. Hopefully
Verdi gets some mid ACC level talent in here. If not, it’s more of the same IMO.

Is this reporting Timmerson and Hutcherson both as having transferred out ? Hadn’t heard this

According to PSN, Pitt has added another player from the portal. Brooklynn Miles is a 5’5” point-guard who played two years at Tenn. and last season at Kentucky.

Last season, Miles made 27 starts and averaged about 6 points and 3 rebounds per game. She also had 96 assists and 38 steals. (Maybe Brooklynn’s ready for a big season, but Marley had more assists and steals last season, probably more rebounds too. 🤔)

And Miles is not a 3-point shooter, making only 8 last season.

Go Pitt.

Verdi gets some mid ACC level talent in here. If not, its more of the same IMO.
Hopefully the Kansas transfer is a big help this season.

This years transfer starters from Clemson and Kentucky are upgrades

Maybe the freshman recruit forward can play

Turns out that Kentucky got a new women’s coach and 8 of their players from last season have hit the portal - point-guard Brooklynn Mikes being one of them.

Oh, and KY was 12 and 20 last season.

Go Pitt.

Plus assist to turnover ratio

Yeah, so one good thing. But fewer assists, bad shooting percentages (38.8 overall, 20.0 threes, 61.1 ones), not really a rebounder. But other than that, really good?

I mean this team needs players. But they need players better than what they have, and I'm not sure this is that. If it is, it's only better around the margins. And tinkering around the margins might be good enough for NC State or Louisville, but it's not for Pitt.

Yeah, so one good thing. But fewer assists, bad shooting percentages (38.8 overall, 20.0 threes, 61.1 ones), not really a rebounder. But other than that, really good?

I mean this team needs players. But they need players better than what they have, and I'm not sure this is that. If it is, it's only better around the margins. And tinkering around the margins might be good enough for NC State or Louisville, but it's not for Pitt.
I think Brooklynn is a better ball handler (PG) than Marley, and I see it as an upgrade at the Point. With Liatu King gone 6'3" Ioanna Chatzileonti could be in the running for Most Improved Player or Comeback Player of the Year.

Reactions: gary2
I think Brooklynn is a better ball handler (PG) than Marley, and I see it as an upgrade at the Point. With Liatu King gone 6'3" Ioanna Chatzileonti could be in the running for Most Improved Player or Comeback Player of the Year.
Agree

I see where Coach Verdi hired another assistant coach. My goodness, don’t we have enough support staff? Use the money to buy some players…

Go Pitt.
Instrumental in bringing 2 top 10 classes to Syracuse. Good hire IMO H2P!!!!

I believe both of these transfers will be in their final year of eligibility. Whatever their high school plaudits were, neither has done much at the college level. We need bodies having lost 4 players to the portal with one of them being King. These are bodies but don’t seem like much more.

I wonder if King could come back. I don’t think she has committed anywhere. Maybe if she sees one or two high level players coming in she will return.

I think Brooklynn is a better ball handler (PG) than Marley, and I see it as an upgrade at the Point.

She may very well be (I'm not going to pretend I've ever seen her play), but if she is it's almost certainly just a small upgrade. And this team needs a lot more than just small upgrades.

Reactions: mike412
She may very well be (I'm not going to pretend I've ever seen her play), but if she is it's almost certainly just a small upgrade. And this team needs a lot more than just small upgrades.
A "small upgrade" obviously does us little good. I'm assuming as of now she'll fight for playing time with
Marley and Battle. Battle has talent and it's time she starts to show it more consistently. Marley if she
only could develop a shot, she'd be an asset. These transfers are not enough to get us up into the
middle of the league, which should IMO be the target at this point. We are in dire need of help from
the portal. Coach Verdi still has time and roster openings. There's a ton of players in the portal. and
many of them would be the upgrades we've been mentioning. Question is, can Verdi get them here
and can he get them to believe that he can turn this program around. If not, why would they come
here? We'll see.

Reactions: mike412
Both of these transfers appear to be players who were highly rated coming out of HS but have underperformed at the college level. Now if you get a young player who has underperformed their first year, there still might be unlocked potential there. But, I see both of these women as fill-ins for a year; nothing more. Right now, we lost more to the portal (King) than we have gotten back.

I thought Timmerson going into the portal was telling. Highly rated local kid. Started to get more minutes in the middle of the season, but her minutes tailed off toward the end. When that happened, I started to think she might leave.

Last edited:
Both of these transfers appear to be players who were highly rated coming out of HS but have underperformed at the college level. Now if you get a young player who has underperformed their first year, there still might be unlocked potential there. But, I see both of these women as fill-ins for a year; nothing more. Right now, we lost more to the portal (King) than we have gotten back.

I thought Timmerson going into the portal was telling. Highly rated local kid. Started to get more minutes in the middle of the season, but her minutes tailed off toward the end. When that happened, I started to think she might leave.
We've had some transfers who were highly rated coming out of h.s. Just an opinion but, the
h.s. rating system for young women might not be as accurate a science as it is for the men.
Hutcherson was a four or five star recruit out of h.s. She transerred here from Ohio ST.
where she averaged 3 ppg. She did very little here in her two yrs with the program. Some
others came in and did little to nothing. Now, if you get a transfer like the two bigs we're
getting from Clemson and Kansas, where they did better than what we had here.....we
might see them as upgrades. As of now we have no "diffference maker" on this team.
King was a "diffference maker" and she's gone. Verdi still needs to get some ACC talent
level in here. Hopefully he will through the portal.

I agree about Timmerson being a loss in that she was a local recruit. Bottom line however,
she lost time to Battle who was out earlier with an injury. As for Malcom, who was a very
highly rated local recruit, so far....great shooter when open, but nowhere as good as her h.s. rating. This is the ACC, not the A-10. I still think she has time to turn into the player we
thought/hoped she'd be. Again, Verdi needs ACC level talent and he has to get it from
the portal.

The more minutes she got the more clear it became that she was in way over her head.

Now that doesn't mean that she can't or won't improve. You'd certainly expect her to. But she shot 57.9% on ones, 23.8% on twos and 19.2% on threes. Sure, small sample sizes, but part of that is also because she clearly was afraid to shoot unless she was completely wide open (or the shot clock was about to run out). Which makes those numbers that much worse.

One thing about the transfers and the recruits so far, they seem to be bringing in bigger players. All the new players so far are at least 6' tall. No more guards who are listed as 5-7 and who look to be more like 5-4 or 5-5.

Reactions: gary2
Rn i have our lineup as
PG Miles
SG ?
SF Malcom
PF ?
C Elmore
Bench
PG Marley
SG Perkins
SF Battle
PF Johnson
C Chatzileonti
Do we agree?

Rn i have our lineup as
PG Miles
SG ?
SF Malcom
PF ?
C Elmore
Bench
PG Marley
SG Perkins
SF Battle
PF Johnson
C Chatzileonti
Do we agree?
Way too early, and haven't see enough to agree or disagree at this point. however here
are a few thoughts.
PG.....Miles has experience and played at an SEC school. Marley did improve toward
the end of the season, did better with A/TO ratio, desperately needs a shot.
Battle will play, but where?....PG, SG?
SG &SF..... Malcolm, has to be a starter at one of these spots because of her shooting
ability. Perkins will play, as will Battle, and Battle could also play the point. Johnson,
has experience and should see playing time.
C&PF...... Elmore eperienced in the ACC and will be somewhere inside. Chatzeleonti, same
thing. These two could possibly be on the floor at the same time.
Substitutes...... Obviously some of the above will substitute along with the frosh. Rust and
Boswell (returnees) seem to clearly be substitutes.

The above is obviously not a strong ACC team at this point. I would rate it a little stronger than
last year's squad..Again, what is REALLY needed are a few ACC talent level players to transfer to Pitt.
A perfect scenario for definite improvement would be for King to change her mind (as someone
on here suggested), and another "difference maker," preferably a forward or a C to choose Pitt.

Last edited:
Reactions: VincePITT and gary2
I hope Coach Verdi has a talent for recognizing “hidden” talent and bringing the best out of players whose stats do not exactly impress anybody.

The transfer from Colorado is another example. Here are her stats: Johnson played in 15 games as a second-year freshman, averaging 1.9 points, 0.8 rebounds and 0.1 assists in 4.5 minutes per game. She shot 44.8% from the field (18.2% from beyond the arc) and 33% from the free throw line.

Go Pitt.

I hope Coach Verdi has a talent for recognizing “hidden” talent and bringing the best out of players whose stats do not exactly impress anybody.

The transfer from Colorado is another example. Here are her stats: Johnson played in 15 games as a second-year freshman, averaging 1.9 points, 0.8 rebounds and 0.1 assists in 4.5 minutes per game. She shot 44.8% from the field (18.2% from beyond the arc) and 33% from the free throw line.

Go Pitt.

Yeah, Colorado was pretty good (they made it to the Sweet 16), but the fact that she barely played there is not a good sign.

I will say, however, that "second year freshman" may be technically correct, but is a little misleading. She actually started college in January of 23, almost like a football player who comes in early so they can practice in the spring. But while she was there and practicing for those couple months, I can't imagine anyone thought that she would get even one minute of playing time.

I see where 6-foot-4 Texas forward Kha’Dija Faye announced that she committed to the Panthers. Been a couple years since Pitt’s had a 6-4 on the women’s team. Unfortunately, it appears she may only have one year of eligibility left.

Texas had an excellent team last season. Coming of the bench, Faye only averaged 6 points and 4 rebounds (if we round up), but a 6-4 presence helps a lot in women’s BB.

Interesting that Verdi has brought in 4 players and they are all from big-time schools, like Texas, Florida State, and Kentucky.

Go Pitt.

If anyone cares, Dom Campbell and Candice Finley follow a few girls in the portal
MIA G: LeShea Dwyer: 7 PPG, 3 REB, 2 AST, 19/62 From 3 ( 31% ), 18/35 FT ( 51% )

UK G: Amiya Jenkins: 8 PPG, 3 REB, 1 AST, 9/28 From 3 ( 32% ), 39/58 FT ( 67% )

LSU G: Angelica Velez: HS 4 Star

Reactions: VincePITT
You can look up stats all night on these transfers, the bottom line is the film shows they are better basketball players than the most of the girls on laster years roster. That is how you have to build a n program that was at the very bottom. You have to hire an assistant that is known as a great recruiter. He has done that and he has to get better players on the roster, he is doing that. They are not going to win the ACC next year, but they are going to be better.

You can look up stats all night on these transfers, the bottom line is the film shows they are better basketball players than the most of the girls on laster years roster. That is how you have to build a n program that was at the very bottom. You have to hire an assistant that is known as a great recruiter. He has done that and he has to get better players on the roster, he is doing that. They are not going to win the ACC next year, but they are going to be better.
I agree with your post.
Pitt has to recruit better players. These new players appear to be better than what
we had, except for King obviously. Faye at 6'4," and coming from an excellent program (Texas)
should really help. Her 12 minutes per game indicates she was a substitute. We had no one
in our line up who could provide an inside presence. She has three years of experience at
two big time programs (Texas Tech being the other). At this point Pitt isnt going to get transfers
from the portal who were starters from the likes of UCONN, LSU, S. Carolina, etc.

We've been begging for Bigs on here. We now have a few experienced ones coming in who
have played in much beter programs. We also have a few experienced guards and wings
returning, along with a few transfers. As stated above we aint gonna "win the ACC next year."
However things are pointing upward. Better players give us a chance to move up in the
ACC and towards the middle of the league. That's reasonable progress at this point. Good
work Verdi! Keep it rolling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT