ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt women's game against GT

MajorMajors

All American
Sep 29, 2002
Pitt lost against GT at the Pete 66-60. An odd game where Pitt played like crap the first half (scoring 18 points) and played pretty well the second half (scoring 42 points).

Pitt trailed by as much as 16, but cut it to 2 points with a minute left. Pitt outscored GT by 42-35 in the second half.

Yacine Diop had a really nice game. She's really good when she drives to the hoop versus taking jump shots. She scored 19 on 8 for 12 shooting. Aysia Bugg has shot well recently and had 16 points on 7 for 14 shooting.

Unfortunately Stasha Carey and Fred Potvin had off games - combined they shot 3 for 16.

Some good things I saw:
--Kalista Walters came of the bench and scored 10 points, but what impressed me is that she played some tough defense in the second half and she pulled down 7 rebounds. I hadn't seen much strong defense /rebounding from her - hopefully it's something she can bring in the future.
--Fred Potvin faked a 3-pointer and drove to the hoop and scored. Hallelujah...
--Aysia Bugg - after a dreadful season - is showing signs that maybe she can be effective as a shooting guard. She struggles with turnovers at the point, but perhaps she could be the main backup at the point.
--Diop could be a star if she would drive to the hoop consistently and only shoot when she's like within 10-feet of the hoop.

Some bad things:
--Stasha Carey had 4 points. She only took 5 shots. They have to get Stasha more involved in the offense. But she does need to work on staying focused and get rid of the careless turnovers.
--Awful turnovers and poor decisions occur too frequently with this team. This seems unlike Coach Suzie's teams at Duquesne and last year's Pitt team. Lots of work to do. I presume this is due to the youth of the team, but it is a concern going forward.
--Pitt continues to have quarters where they are just horrible - tonight they scored 10 points in the 1st Q and 8 points in the 2nd Q. Really poor.
--For much of the game, Pitt struggled to stop GT's forwards - they just bulled their way to the basket for layups. This improved in the second half, but the damage was done.
--Pitt seems to struggle some when they get late in the shot clock - seems like they need a better awareness of when greater urgency is required.

One game left, and it's at Louisville - ugh. Pitt is now 12-16, with all 4 of their ACC victories coming on the road... Good to get this disappointing season behind us.

Go Pitt.

I just hope Suzie can keep this teams spirits up cause I see a lot of good in the sophs and frosh, with the reinforcements coming in next year, hopefully they can make a splash

Keep grinding Suzie

They simply have too many stretches where the whole team just seems to "go away" for a while. They were playing OK in the first quarter, ahead 10-9 iirc, and then allow a big run by Georgia Tech to fall 10 points behind. Even in the second half when they were playing better it still seemed like every time they would make a little run and start to creep back into the game they'd stop scoring for a few possessions and give up some baskets on the other end and be right back to where they started.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT