ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Women's Volleyball Advances To Final Four!

That is an incredible win. Wow. The Ville women’s Vball team is really really really good

The lady panthers have to be favored now to win it all

I watched it. Unbelievable comeback by these
young women athletes. This is women's athletics
at its best IMO. Babcock turned the match
around with some incredible serves that might
be the fastest, hardest, with great velocity
in college vball.

Actually we won't even be favorites to win the next game. And if we do, it's almost certain we will be an underdog in the championship game as well.

In our next game we get Nebraska, who has been ranked number one all season and is the tournament's overall number one seed.

That was as good of atmosphere in the Fitz as any hoops game that was held there. The buzz and noise reminded me of the 80s and early 90s.

Louisville fans and band came out ready and were loud the first two sets. Then Pitt woke up its fans in set 3 and it was on.

If you can't enjoy a Pitt event like that, two top 5ish teams, major rivals, with a huge come-from-behind wind for an Final Four slot, I don't know what to tell you.

Man, does the Field House need replaced though. Decrepit.

Biggest gripe: no Victory Lights for an NCAA Regional Championship? Are you f* kidding me? This is only Pitt's 6th all-time NCAA final four in any sports that hold a tournament-style championship.

GA8i0bwXgAA3K_T

Last edited:
That is an incredible win. Wow. The Ville women’s Vball team is really really really good

I wish that were true. But Nebraska, Wisconsin, and maybe even Texas will be tougher. We can’t start slow again.

I almost feel like regardless of who we play, if we win the first set, we aren’t losing.

Reactions: NNFAN
I keep telling people, mostly that one certain person, that if they don't think that building needs replaced (or completely gutted and rebuilt essentially from scratch) it just shows that they haven't been in there in a very, very long time.
Oddly, it showed "well" on the TV feed. But I get it. I watched games there as a Pitt student from 1970-1974. It felt "old" then

Oddly, it showed "well" on the TV feed. But I get it. I watched games there as a Pitt student from 1970-1974. It felt "old" then

They put 2,900 people in there for the NCAA games, and there is basically one men's room and one women's room open to the public. And one full concession stand (although there were two other "cart" locations where they were selling some stuff).

In 2023 that's pretty much unacceptable for a "major" arena.

Reactions: ThePanthers
They put 2,900 people in there for the NCAA games, and there is basically one men's room and one women's room open to the public. And one full concession stand (although there were two other "cart" locations where they were selling some stuff).

When is the new facility scheduled to open?

I keep telling people, mostly that one certain person, that if they don't think that building needs replaced (or completely gutted and rebuilt essentially from scratch) it just shows that they haven't been in there in a very, very long time.
I was a manager when Pitt hoops played in the field house so I've been to a lot of basketball and other sports there. I've been there for a few things since they've opened the Pete..vball, wrestling, even a women's hoops game they moved there, but I left those volleyball games wondering how the hell we ever hosted men's hoops there with a second upper deck of seating and baseline seats. Really, really not good after 20 years of being used to the Pete. My lord they need the new facility like 20 years ago. Frankly, embarrassing to host other schools there for the NCAAs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I was a manager when Pitt hoops played in the field house so I've been to a lot of basketball and other sports there. I've been there for a few things since they've opened the Pete..vball, wrestling, even a women's hoops game they moved there, but I left those volleyball games wondering how the hell we ever hosted men's hoops there. Really, really not good after 20 years of being used to the Pete. My lord they need the new facility like 20 years ago. Frankly, embarrassing to host other schools there for the NCAAs.
On the other hand, I watched the Pitt vball game at Syracuse, and it looked like they were playing in a small high school gym. Of course, that team looked like a high school team.

On the other hand, I watched the Pitt vball game at Syracuse, and it looked like they were playing in a small high school gym. Of course, that team looked like a high school team.
Yes, there are a few other schools out there that look like they have it worse. But there are some smaller non-power schools that have it better.

Yes, there are a few other schools out there that look like they have it worse. But there are some smaller non-power schools that have it better.
I know there are far more Pitt fans who'd be much happier if it were our FB and BB programs getting to Final Fours. The recent success of our Volleyball and Soccer programs should make us very "Panther proud". I'm glad the University is investing in the Olympic sports, and am obviously hoping that FB and BB will perform well. Our school's "path" to Championships is much easier through the so-called non revenue ones. Selling out the new Volleyball arena and seeing multiple FFs with a Championship or two should be Pitt's goal

I know there are far more Pitt fans who'd be much happier if it were our FB and BB programs getting to Final Fours. The recent success of our Volleyball and Soccer programs should make us very "Panther proud". I'm glad the University is investing in the Olympic sports, and am obviously hoping that FB and BB will perform well. Our school's "path" to Championships is much easier through the so-called non revenue ones. Selling out the new Volleyball arena and seeing multiple FFs with a Championship or two should be Pitt's goal
Pitt fans should want all programs in Final Fours. Previously, Pitt hasn't had the resources or coaching talent to even try until it entered the ACC, which has elevated all Pitt sports programs. There is no either-or these days as the resource constraints aren't what they used to be. And it was never the revenue sports that got the short end of the stick, anyway. There only needs to be the desire to be great at every endeavor you choose to undertake and to keep your winning staffs intact, happy, and at Pitt when you are lucky enough to find a great ones.

I wouldn't necessarily agree a "path" is easier in non-revenue sports. There are about 330 schools sponsoring D1 women's volleyball and to do what Pitt and Louisville have done, to break through into the blue blood elite levels that have dominated the sport for decades, is unreal. UNL = 5 NC and 17 FFs; Texas 4 NC and 16 FFs, Wisconsin 1 NC and 6 FFs. There are only 12 schools that have ever won a natty and 21 that have been to more than one FF. There's a top crust very hard to break into. And then all-time most successfual program, Stanford with 9 NC and 23 FFs, joins the ACC next year.

Last edited:
Pitt fans should want all programs in Final Fours. Previously, Pitt hasn't had the resources or talent to even try until it entered the ACC, which has elevated all Pitt sports programs. There is no either or these days as the resource constraints aren't what they used to be. And it was never the revenue sports that got the short end of the stick. There only needs to be the desire to be great at every endeavor you choose to undertake and keep your winning staffs when you are lucky enough to find a great one, happy and at Pitt.

I wouldn't necessarily agree a "path" is easier in non-revenue sports. There are about 330 schools sponsor D1 women's volleyball and to do what Pitt and Louisville have done, to break through into the blue blood elite levels that have dominated the sport for decades, is unreal. UNL = 5 NC and 17 FFs; Texas 4 NC and 16 FFs, Wisconsin 1 NC and 6 FFs. There are only 12 schools that have ever won a natty and 21 that have been to more than one FF. There's a top crust very hard to break into. And then all-time most successfual program, Stanford with 9 NC and 23 FFs, joins the ACC next year.
Can't disagree; what seems to be different now is having an elite coach in Dan Fisher, e.g. If you compare Fisher to a similar elite NCAA FB coach, you'd be mentioning him in the same breath as a Dabo Sweeney or Jim Harbaugh or Kirby Smart

Do many volleyball programs around the country play in a "major" arena? To be frank, you probably only need one restroom and one concession stand for the number of people in average attendance for probably 90% of the NCAA D1 volleyball programs.

Now I get that we are currently one of the power programs of the sport having made the final four three times in a row, and that is generating a lot of interest in our team (and all well-deserved), but I don't consider volleyball a sport that calls for a "major" arena, at least at the present time. Perhaps if the sport keeps growing over the next 10-20 years, I will sing a different tune. What is going to be the capacity at the under-construction arena?

I am so glad to see the progression of Pitt athletics and the facilities getting some much needed attention. Joining the ACC has certainly made a difference. When I played baseball there at old Trees field with the insulation wrapped around the left field light pole, there were D3 schools with better fields. At that time, we also had to split the weight room with other teams, no problems until the women's track and field athlete is bench pressing 50 pounds more than you! Those were the days, its so good to see where we are now, what a difference, H2P!

I just can't imagine who that "one certain person"
might be. HA! ;)

Do many volleyball programs around the country play in a "major" arena? To be frank, you probably only need one restroom and one concession stand for the number of people in average attendance for probably 90% of the NCAA D1 volleyball programs.

Now I get that we are currently one of the power programs of the sport having made the final four three times in a row, and that is generating a lot of interest in our team (and all well-deserved), but I don't consider volleyball a sport that calls for a "major" arena, at least at the present time. Perhaps if the sport keeps growing over the next 10-20 years, I will sing a different tune. What is going to be the capacity at the under-construction arena?

The new arena is supposed to be around 3,500.

And I guarantee there will be more than one men's and women's room, and more than one concession stand in the building.

The new arena is planned for 3.5K. It's not just the arena part, it is the new offices, practice, and training facilities which are just unfixable at the Fitz. They'll move bigger games to the Pete as they already do, and I believe it will be connected to the Pete. Part of it is to move the student rec center out of the Pete to the new student rec facility on O'Hara as well which frees up more space there as well.

Top 10 volleyball average home attendance in 2022 season:
1. Nebraska: 8,190
2. Wisconsin 7,761
3. Hawaii 5,963
4. Minnesota 4,758
5. Texas 4,364
6. Ohio St 3,609
7. BYU 3,129
8. Michigan St 3,208
9. Florida 3,138
10. Iowa St 2,991

Nebraska sells out every game and makes money off of volleyball.

Pitt average home attendance trend:
2023: 2,820 (ACC Champ, Final Four)
2022: 1,779 (ACC Champ, Final Four)
2021: 1,525 (Final Four)
2020: 185 (COVID, Elite Eight)
2019: 1,196 (ACC Champ, NCAA 2nd rnd)
2018: 1,140 (ACC Champ, NCAA 2nd rnd)
2017: 569 (ACC Champ, NCAA 2nd rnd)
2016: 436 (NCAA 2nd rnd)
2015: 435
2014: 533
2013: 470 (Dan Fisher's 1st season)