ADVERTISEMENT

PITT Wrestling up to #8

When it comes to dual meets, probably. They hit No. 9 a couple years back and it was their highest ranking in 50 years. But back in the 40-50s during the Peery "dynasty," Pitt finished in the top ten at Nationals something like 15 years in a row with several of those years in the top 5. Its on the wall above the office inside the wrestling room.

PreLives, thank you for the history lesson. I'll admit, I'm a bandwagon Wrestling fan that didn't pay attention until 3-4 years ago. They've got me hooked! I look forward to them traveling down to UNC in February, will have to go to that one.

This post was edited on 1/23 5:01 PM by GoneFisching

12 years in a row in the top 10 at NCAAs, from 1952 to 1963 with 1958 being the highest ever finish for any Pitt team in any sport at an NCAA championship when they came in 2nd.

Pitt also hosted a couple of those NCAAs at the Fitz.

Here's a nice article on Pitt from the NCAA. Even has quotes from John Smith, who didnt talk to reporters after the upset.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2014-01-23/oh-possibilities-pitt

Also, Donnie Tasser puts together a monthly newsletter and January's has a nice article on Rizzo in it and a UVA preview, for anybody who hasnt seen it.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/pitt/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/Newsletter.pdf

This post was edited on 1/24 12:50 PM by PreLives

Gone Fisching: Happy to have you as a fan. Wrestling as a sport doesnt have many bandwagon fans; mostly cultish die-hards. There is nothing wrong with that, but the sport needs to appeal to more people if it wants to stop shrinking. As for Pitt, we need all the wrestling fans we can get to compete with those other guys in the middle of the state.

This post was edited on 1/24 12:34 PM by PreLives

It would be great to pick up a win tonight and keep the momentum going. Virginia will be tough to beat. I hope the weather doesn't hurt the crowd too bad.

Originally posted by PreLives:
Here's a nice article on Pitt from the NCAA. Even has quotes from John Smith, who didnt talk to reporters after the upset.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2014-01-23/oh-possibilities-pitt

Also, Donnie Tasser puts together a monthly newsletter and January's has a nice article on Rizzo in it and a UVA preview, for anybody who hasnt seen it.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/pitt/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/Newsletter.pdf

This post was edited on 1/24 12:50 PM by PreLives

Great article. Pitt's return to a perennial top 10 team is long, long overdue.

I am too young to remember the great Rex Peery teams, but I do remember seeing the pictures of the NCAA champions he produced, including his sons Hugh and Ed, on the walls at the Fitz when I started attending BB games there. I also remember Boo Conner telling me that if Rex had had one more son, Pitt would have won the NCAAs the year they finished second.

Finishing in the top ten was a bigger accomplishment then that it is now. In excess of 100 colleges have dropped wrestling due to Title IX. Back in those days, there were many more really good programs. With so much HS wrestling talent in PA, eastern Ohio, NJ and to a lesser extent upstate NY, Pitt should be able to field a perennial top ten team, a frequent top 5 team and an occasional national championship team. Support from the AD and good coaching are all that it takes. Assistants are critical in college wrestling. John Rizzo mentioned that having assistant Matt Wilps to wrestle against in practice was a big draw for him. Having him and Matt Kotcher should help Pitt recruit well from 149 through Hwt.

Re: Tasser's information is excellent, thanks, where can we find it monthly?

I know it's linked to the Panthers athletic site, but he mentioned in the email when he sent it out that anybody who wanted added should just email him at Donnie.tasser at gmail.com to be put on the list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT