ADVERTISEMENT

PITT's AD interview with local TV station.

Why is it that Pitt ADs NEVER seem to get it with Penn State scheduling? It's like they need a primer and nobody gives them one.

You be the judge whether Heather can change the current culture within the athletic department.

Also, Heather, give it up trying to schedule PSU long-term. They have no intentions and their fan base simply enjoys watching PITT beg.

http://www.wpxi.com/sports
Pitt alums and fans need to look for reasons to support the program rather than make excuses not to. I am impressed by her so far, but history shows Pitt alums and fans are almost impossible to please.

That was a fun interview to watch, thank you for posting a link. Her response to the scheduling Penn State question came across to me as being more of an obligatory answer. She certainly didn't say that we're going to try every measure to get them on our schedule. Interesting how when speaking of Narduzzi she says "no question we have the right coach" (when they are walking in the hall) but when speaking about Stallings and staff it's more "I think". She seems to believe that KS is 100% committed to righting the ship but less convinced that he can right the ship (my interpretation). Good stuff!

Reactions: PITTLAW
Why is it that Pitt ADs NEVER seem to get it with Penn State scheduling? It's like they need a primer and nobody gives them one.
Agreed. Annoying if not outright disgusting. Can only figure there are certain key Pitt boosters or trustees who insist we doggedly keep trying to convince them to schedule, and (probably wisely) each new AD is caught in that hard place... they can't be the AD that slams the PSU door shut. Despite it being so obvious that they've long slammed it on Pitt already.

Obviously the money aspect is big, we'd be able to sell tix for more in those seasons of they'd play us ... But (1) they aren't gonna and (2) we could make the same by playing WVU, who are eager do it.

Meanwhile as much as most grass roots level Pitt fans seem as psychotic about wanting to play them, most of us are smart enough to get it, that they refuse and will continue to refuse. I would never hold it against an AD who would finally answer the PSU question truthfully and bluntly: "they could easily do it but they refuse, so we're moving on."

Reactions: ChooChoo Panther
Agreed. Annoying if not outright disgusting. Can only figure there are certain key Pitt boosters or trustees who insist we doggedly keep trying to convince them to schedule, and (probably wisely) each new AD is caught in that hard place... they can't be the AD that slams the PSU door shut. Despite it being so obvious that they've long slammed it on Pitt already.

Obviously the money aspect is big, we'd be able to sell tix for more in those seasons of they'd play us ... But (1) they aren't gonna and (2) we could make the same by playing WVU, who are eager do it.

Meanwhile as much as most grass roots level Pitt fans seem as psychotic about wanting to play them, most of us are smart enough to get it, that they refuse and will continue to refuse. I would never hold it against an AD who would finally answer the PSU question truthfully and bluntly: "they could easily do it but they refuse, so we're moving on."

or maybe it is the only game Pitt fans are passionate about and also the most electric Heinz has been in a long time. Who would you rather see as an OOC game? Texas? Nebraska? They wouldn't move the attendance or excitement needle at all (as verified by their prior appearances in Pittsburgh)

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
It has been 35 years since Pitt football finished a season ranked in the top 10. Pitt fans shouldn't be pleased.

true, especially in a pro-town that is accustomed to success with the Pens and Steelers. It is a tough sell.

Exception being the Pirate fans who still fill up PNC park even though their futility streak was a lot worse. Maybe we need to try pierogie races?

true, especially in a pro-town that is accustomed to success with the Pens and Steelers. It is a tough sell.

Exception being the Pirate fans who still fill up PNC park even though their futility streak was a lot worse. Maybe we need to try pierogie races?
Actually, flip through and really check the actual crowds of buc games lately. On regular game nights they're mostly empty too now (not counting the skyblast nights or the nights that Boston or Chicago or Orleans or LA Guns or Miami Sound Machine or maybe all of em, whoever is playing a show after the game). In that two year window they were legitimately good, the actual crowds every game were excellent. It's not only Pitt fans astoundingly picky in daring to want winners. It's all unretarded fans.

or maybe it is the only game Pitt fans are passionate about and also the most electric Heinz has been in a long time. Who would you rather see as an OOC game? Texas? Nebraska? They wouldn't move the attendance or excitement needle at all (as verified by their prior appearances in Pittsburgh)
Do we really have to go through and list again? There are plenty of examples, though granted not nearly enough, when Heinz was at least as "electric." various WVU, various ND, Cincy 2009, VT 2003. The latter were more "electric" than that PSU game. When our team is good, when there are stakes for the game, and frankly any WVU or ND game, the crowds will be there. PSU refuses to play, so why keep defining insanity begging them?

Reactions: caleco's

Yes, selling tickets is good and Penn State coming to Heinz sells more tickets. But... everytime a new AD comes in he/she always thinks they are going to get the games against PSU going, like a new President thinking he is going to solve the Israel/Palastine crises. It's not going to happen. It's the same as the repeated mistakes that our ADs and Nike have made when studying Pitt's uniform/logo changes, and then coming up with something connected to the tradition of steel, or the Cathedral's arches, or reflecting the blue collar tough work ethic of the city, or some other such nonsense when the best solution is already available and anyone who has been a Pitt fan for more than 5 minutes knows the answer. It's frustrating.

Penn State is content on a couple of games against us every 15 years or so. We scheduled 4 games this go around because they were in damage control mode via JerryGate. We beat them the last 2 times playing them, their legendary coach and administration allowed a child predator to rape little boys, and they are still kicking are butts in recruiting. So perhaps the solution isn't to constantly attempt to get more games with them. Perhaps the better solution it to totally ignore those sick f*cks and spend the time trying to schedule other programs that are relevant.

Do we really have to go through and list again? There are plenty of examples, though granted not nearly enough, when Heinz was at least as "electric." various WVU, various ND, Cincy 2009, VT 2003. The latter were more "electric" than that PSU game. When our team is good, when there are stakes for the game, and frankly any WVU or ND game, the crowds will be there. PSU refuses to play, so why keep defining insanity begging them?

all your examples were conference games that had something on the line. Pittsburghers will show up if there is something worth playing for. That's why people shouldn't be shocked by the Duke attendance after the Clemson win. No ACC championship on the line, just a potential "Tier 1" bowl game. What casual yinzer fan even knows what a tier 1 game is? But they know what an ACC championship game is.

The only OOC game that would be fun & have an electric environment is PSU. Otherwise no other team will do anything. Heck O$U will bring more fans from Columbus than we would have so that's one school I never want to play. So my thought are if the OOC game isn't PSU, WVU or ND I am in the Pitt79 camp and schedule the easiest P5 out there. Rutgers, or any B10 bottom feeder.

Yes, selling tickets is good and Penn State coming to Heinz sells more tickets. But... everytime a new AD comes in he/she always thinks they are going to get the games against PSU going, like a new President thinking he is going to solve the Israel/Palastine crises. It's not going to happen. It's the same as the repeated mistakes that our ADs and Nike have made when studying Pitt's uniform/logo changes, and then coming up with something connected to the tradition of steel, or the Cathedral's arches, or reflecting the blue collar tough work ethic of the city, or some other such nonsense when the best solution is already available and anyone who has been a Pitt fan for more than 5 minutes knows the answer. It's frustrating.

Penn State is content on a couple of games against us every 15 years or so. We scheduled 4 games this go around because they were in damage control mode via JerryGate. We beat them the last 2 times playing them, their legendary coach and administration allowed a child predator to rape little boys, and they are still kicking are butts in recruiting. So perhaps the solution isn't to constantly attempt to get more games with them. Perhaps the better solution it to totally ignore those sick f*cks and spend the time trying to schedule other programs that are relevant.

yeah it is what it is. I can see PSU's point actually. With the move to a 9 game conference schedule, there is only so much room. And they could get a big crowd for Auburn as well as Pitt, so why not do a home & home with them and expand your footprint a bit? The real problem is a college football landscape that has Pitt PSU WVU all in different conferences.

Reactions: kma0043
yeah it is what it is. I can see PSU's point actually. With the move to a 9 game conference schedule, there is only so much room. And they could get a big crowd for Auburn as well as Pitt, so why not do a home & home with them and expand your footprint a bit? The real problem is a college football landscape that has Pitt PSU WVU all in different conferences.

No reason why Pitt shouldn't be campaigning to bring in other big time programs that can bring in a great crowd. Michigan. OSU. Bama. Texas. Florida. USC. And others are programs with cache and people will show up. Tennessee was a good addition and their fans will travel to Heinz, but if we can get OSU or Michigan (Pitt whiffed at the chance a few years back) then that is a sell out.

No reason why Pitt shouldn't be campaigning to bring in other big time programs that can bring in a great crowd. Michigan. OSU. Bama. Texas. Florida. USC. And others are programs with cache and people will show up. Tennessee was a good addition and their fans will travel to Heinz, but if we can get OSU or Michigan (Pitt whiffed at the chance a few years back) then that is a sell out.
no to tOSU. No to tosu. htp, im telling you, we want no parts of that.. dude, I said it before, psu and wvu say they bring 25k and bring 8k. tosu will say nothing and bring 28k. it's too much, im telling you. I still have nightmares from a full sea of red in a Zelda's bar on a Friday night in mid 90s. It still haunts me. I wake up all sweaty, shaking, nerves all shot to hell.

Curtis Martin had one of the best games a RB has ever played, at an on campus stadium, and against Texas. Do u know how many people attended?

Pitt has about 35k loyal fans, including students. That has been consistent over 35+ years.

Pitt needs to turn it into an event. Pierogie Races, 50/50 Raffle, Have some sort of drawing for a big prize near or at the end of the game, etc.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
no to tOSU. No to tosu. htp, im telling you, we want no parts of that.. dude, I said it before, psu and wvu say they bring 25k and bring 8k. tosu will say nothing and bring 28k. it's too much, im telling you. I still have nightmares from a full sea of red in a Zelda's bar on a Friday night in mid 90s. It still haunts me. I wake up all sweaty, shaking, nerves all shot to hell.

exactly. it would be a sellout but it would be a sea of red.

Curtis Martin had one of the best games a RB has ever played, at an on campus stadium, and against Texas. Do u know how many people attended?

Pitt has about 35k loyal fans, including students. That has been consistent over 35+ years.

About the same amount that came to watch James Conner play his last game in a Pitt uniform at Heinz Field last season.

I was there, as were many Texas fans. Was a hell of a game and a tough loss.

More nonsense....
Pitt fans could have shown better in the Duke game last year after beating Clemson. The chancellor's toadies will beat that one to death. Meanwhile the true problem is detailed in the other thread going on here that highlights the repeated f*ck ups in firing and hiring. One fluke single point victory on the road (and our epic wins always seem to be on the road), what was it, the first win against a top 5 team in decades, is not going to light a fire under a base who have withstood a steady stream of highbrow urine in their faces for 35 years.

It has to be followed up with more (Winning a freaking bowl game that good crowds traveled to two years in a row, for example). And more after that (turn losses like the OSU and UNC games into wins, for example). Then actually fight to keep our good coaches (like Canada, for example). And perks for recruiting. And not coming down on players for a bit of weed (hello Gallagher, it's 2017 not 1957).

Last edited:
We really should slam the door on penn state.

We are in the acc......not the big East

We do not need penn state at all imo.....

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
We really should slam the door on penn state.

We are in the acc......not the big East

We do not need penn state at all imo.....

Agree, do a home/home every 10 yrs or a misc game every 5 yrs or something not to let it die again.
The ship has sailed.

Besides the fact that PissU is a disgusting cancer in college sports and shouldn't be playing football, we should not be begging any team to play us, especially a school that harbored and encouraged child rape on their campus. And now murder at the frats.

That aside, the fault lies with the NCAA and the realigning of the conferences also. It was a train wreck and continues to be that. It makes college football a shell of the game it used to be when it was played as it should be, with natural rivals playing each other every year. That's what college sports is about. But the NCAA decided to destroy it and this is what we're left with.

Sadly, I thought the interview was a complete waste of time. We know Heather likes doing interviews and seems extremely friendly/approachable which is important when you compare to a dope like SP. As much as I love Primanti's and other things about Pitt, I'm most interested in knowing how we are going to make improvements to the football team so we can get out of this 8-4 and 7-5 record year after year. Why didn't he ask how are season ticket sales coming along? Nobody has. Barnes ran his mouth last year about record season ticket sales and we saw it wasn't true based on what we saw on game day. How about what are we going to do to improve recruiting which is currently 57th? If the Steelers are such a big tool which she keeps talking about, why aren't we landing the 4/5 star players throughout the country because the Steelers are truly a national team. Not just W. PA. If not the Cowboys, they are second to them? This guy was asking cupcake questions and thought I was listening to Jerry DePaola's relative from the trib.

Sadly, I thought the interview was a complete waste of time. We know Heather likes doing interviews and seems extremely friendly/approachable which is important when you compare to a dope like SP. As much as I love Primanti's and other things about Pitt, I'm most interested in knowing how we are going to make improvements to the football team so we can get out of this 8-4 and 7-5 record year after year. Why didn't he ask how are season ticket sales coming along? Nobody has. Barnes ran his mouth last year about record season ticket sales and we saw it wasn't true based on what we saw on game day. How about what are we going to do to improve recruiting which is currently 57th? If the Steelers are such a big tool which she keeps talking about, why aren't we landing the 4/5 star players throughout the country because the Steelers are truly a national team. Not just W. PA. If not the Cowboys, they are second to them? This guy was asking cupcake questions and thought I was listening to Jerry DePaola's relative from the trib.
I call on tougher reporting too ... but when it comes to actual direct interviews, have to be realistic. These folks aren't going to consent to on camera interviews unless they're assured of softball questions. Pitt's office (as most others, probably) actually likely require the questions submitted in advance. A newbie reporter like that guy trying to get a story on air any which way possible was happy to agree. The content didn't matter to him or her. They're both just looking for a clip to submit for interviews for better jobs.

What we need are true reporters who dig in the trash and root out the filth behind the scenes. There are so so so many juicy ones related to Pitt. What really happened with Graham. With Dixon. With Barnes and Stallings. To a lesser extent but more current, the almost certain clash between Narduzzi and the admin over kicking out Taleni and suspending Whitehead (no big time coach favors that, none) .

Besides the fact that PissU is a disgusting cancer in college sports and shouldn't be playing football, we should not be begging any team to play us, especially a school that harbored and encouraged child rape on their campus. And now murder at the frats.

That aside, the fault lies with the NCAA and the realigning of the conferences also. It was a train wreck and continues to be that. It makes college football a shell of the game it used to be when it was played as it should be, with natural rivals playing each other every year. That's what college sports is about. But the NCAA decided to destroy it and this is what we're left with.
Mostly right on. But what's missed is the current system kinda does work for what it was intended to do, make a crap load of money. Most big rivalries are kept intact as well. Some are within conferences naturally. But others, there ncaa and networks counted on the good sense of the schools (or short of that, state governments) to manually force them to keep going. Before the ACC absorption of all the BE teams, Virginia gov forced VT and VA to play of they wouldn't themselves, Iowa forces its schools similarly, WV gov forced WVU and Marshall, etc. Pitt happens to be in a state with perhaps the most corrupt and inept state government, which allowed for PS to unilaterally end the games with Pitt. The state gov (and media outlets) are thick with Nits, and Pitt is easily dumped on for spite, even at the cost of losing the revenue on all sides for an annual big game, vs both teams playing rotting garbage 1AA or Mac games. PS may still get solid crowds for such but not the "107000" they'd get for us. Likely 20000 less for a Coastal Carolina or whatnot. But they'd give it up for the spite, and the state lets them. Morons.

The end of the WVU Pitt games is just awful management by Pitt's admin. Which is hardly a shock. Its really the only big game we can basically guarantee (they would play annually in a second). Now i am no fan of WVU fans, but i know a guaranteed hyped game and sellout and big payday every other year when I see it... and i ain't seeing it now, or much in the future. What I do see are 1AA games every year instead bringing in 20,000 disinterested and bored suckers. Yet we blow it off to chase after the Nits. Idiots.

Pitt fans could have shown better in the Duke game last year after beating Clemson. The chancellor's toadies will beat that one to death. Meanwhile the true problem is detailed in the other thread going on here that highlights the repeated f*ck ups in firing and hiring. One fluke single point victory on the road (and our epic wins always seem to be on the road), what was it, the first win against a top 5 team in decades, is not going to light a fire under a base who have withstood a steady stream of highbrow urine in their faces for 35 years.

It has to be followed up with more (Winning a freaking bowl game that good crowds traveled to two years in a row, for example). And more after that (turn losses like the OSU and UNC games into wins, for example). Then actually fight to keep our good coaches (like Canada, for example). And perks for recruiting. And not coming down on players for a bit of weed (hello Gallagher, it's 2017 not 1957).

Excellent post!!! My friend, you have completely summed up the psychological dynamic between Pitt and the legion of once upon a time fans who Pitt has driven away with incompetence and indifference and who have now become casual observers rather than true fans. I think I will throw up when I hear another argument as to why attendance at a game like the Duke game last year and even a couple of decent back to back seasons is proof positive of the ambivalence of the Pitt fan base. It took Pitt years to drive away most of its fans with indifference and repeated bad decisions(some of which have occurred as recently as the hiring of the head BB coach) and it will take the same number of successful years and the positive proof of program support noted in your post to rebuild the fan base. This post should be tacked to the top of the board.

I also believe Pitt administrators, all of whom are in a state of denial as regards their accountability for the lack of fan support, review this site and are often the ones who continually blame the fans for the size of the fan base. They need to come to grips with reality and just acknowledge that they have been THE problem! People won't support a shabbily run program...simple as that. Pitt's a good school. It's ironic that Pitt would expect its alums to check their brains at the door in evaluating the quality of the job the administration has performed in managing athletics, and its that attitude of arrogance and denial which is also part of the problem.

It's just this simple.

It's the one game that actually fires up our apathetic fanbase

Excellent post!!! My friend, you have completely summed up the psychological dynamic between Pitt and the legion of once upon a time fans who Pitt has driven away with incompetence and indifference and who have now become casual observers rather than true fans. I think I will throw up when I hear another argument as to why attendance at a game like the Duke game last year and even a couple of decent back to back seasons is proof positive of the ambivalence of the Pitt fan base. It took Pitt years to drive away most of its fans with indifference and repeated bad decisions(some of which have occurred as recently as the hiring of the head BB coach) and it will take the same number of successful years and the positive proof of program support noted in your post to rebuild the fan base. This post should be tacked to the top of the board.

I also believe Pitt administrators, all of whom are in a state of denial as regards their accountability for the lack of fan support, review this site and are often the ones who continually blame the fans for the size of the fan base. They need to come to grips with reality and just acknowledge that they have been THE problem! People won't support a shabbily run program...simple as that. Pitt's a good school. It's ironic that Pitt would expect its alums to check their brains at the door in evaluating the quality of the job the administration has performed in managing athletics, and its that attitude of arrogance and denial which is also part of the problem.
When did they actually show to begin with?

A season or two of attendance is an aberration...not a fanbase.

Del- not fans were driven away. It's been the one constant.
When we are great we pick up a few bandwagon fans. Then regress to the mean.

Not sure why you're pretending we used to have more fans.

It's not a happy thing to have to point out but it's all true. Sports fans of all stripes want and pay for winners. Or at least programs earnestly trying to win. They'll be forgiven for the stray year that things don't come together (which is actually most years really, even for great teams). Crowds are still good for those because the Fans know the team management is trying and has shown success before. But Fans can sniff the ones that are frauds, just in it to scrape the dumpster for easy scraps. And largely, fans blow them off. Its not "bad support". Its Consumer 101.

The sports part of college sports is a business, maybe one of the cruelest dog eat dog business there is (certainly among the "pro" sports), where the loser doesn't just lose now, but gets outright punished for the future, through resultant poor recruiting and wider revenue discrepancies. The administrators, aka team owners, must take a MUCH more active hand than in other pro sports that have artificial parity (high draft picks for losers etc) built into their business plan.

I don't blame Pitt admins for being repulsed by it But I ABSOLUTELY expect they participate to the HILT in it... or at least to the extent of our competitors...if they expect my money and time spent on it. I still foolishly engage but most others don't. Which is the reason for so much yellow seats. And that's IT, the sole reason, NOT "ungrateful fans".

When did they actually show to begin with?

A season or two of attendance is an aberration...not a fanbase.

Del- not fans were driven away. It's been the one constant.
When we are great we pick up a few bandwagon fans. Then regress to the mean.

Not sure why you're pretending we used to have more fans.
Well the Pete was sold out for a number of years...did everyone who had a season ticket go to every game? No, I had season tickets and lived 300 miles away and had to pick and choose my spots as I'm sure a lot of others did. The crowds for most BE games were great when Pitt was actually a conference contender. Interest waned during Dixon's tenure...that is undeniable. Over time the scheduling got worse, the regular season performance/record in the BE and ACC got worse, the post season conference tournament results got worse, and the NCAA tournament record and seedings got worse. Do you see a trend there? Evidently not because you keep ripping the Pitt fans for NO reason. Dixon was to blame pure and simple!

Well the Pete was sold out for a number of years...did everyone who had a season ticket go to every game? No, I had season tickets and lived 300 miles away and had to pick and choose my spots as I'm sure a lot of others did. The crowds for most BE games were great when Pitt was actually a conference contender. Interest waned during Dixon's tenure...that is undeniable. Over time the scheduling got worse, the regular season performance/record in the BE and ACC got worse, the post season conference tournament results got worse, and the NCAA tournament record and seedings got worse. Do you see a trend there? Evidently not because you keep ripping the Pitt fans for NO reason. Dixon was to blame pure and simple!
Yes-
When we are great we pick up more fans.
When we are merely good , we regress to the mean.

The Pete atmosphere was a function of the zoo. Exclusively.

Waned over 13 years? Yeah- no kidding.

Dixon is gone and the fans will be more sparse. Time to find a new scape goat.

Your entire premise was pitt drove away fans ... but it's cornerstone is a myth.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT