ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's Biggest ACC Rival

csh2088

Walk-on
Apr 22, 2021
I know Pitt has history with Syracuse, Boston College, and Miami but who has been Pitt's biggest rivalry since joining the ACC?

I agree with this. Syracuse? Meh. VT? UVA is bigger to them? Miami? Too one sided. I thought it would eventually become Maryland.
funny how you guys forget the Benedict Arnold number that Virginia Tech pulled on Pitt and the Big East...Hate those bastards...After Penn State they are number 2 on the list of teams I hope book their flights with Marshall airlines...

Last edited:
funny how you guys forget the Benedict Arnold number that Virginia Tech pulled on Pitt and the Big East...Hate those bastards...After Penn State they are number 2 on the list of teams I hope book their flights with Marshall airlines...
I don’t forget. But then Pitt went and joined them, so whatever there. I dislike VT more because they are grossly hyped every year.

Virginia Tech for sure, but they are a very distant third (if even that) in terms of our overall rivals.

And Miami has been more annoying lately.

Reactions: Skip74
I don’t forget. But then Pitt went and joined them, so whatever there. I dislike VT more because they are grossly hyped every year.
glad you think that urine running down your back is rain such that when someone puts the screws to you (ie, the things that generate dislike and thus rivalries) you go with "whatever"....But then Pitt went and joined them... not even the same set of circumstances. I added a link above as a refresher..

glad you think that urine running down your back is rain such that when someone puts the screws to you (ie, the things that generate dislike and thus rivalries) you go with "whatever"....But then Pitt went and joined them... not even the same set of circumstances. I added a link above as a refresher..
When at the end of the day Pitt would have done, and eventually did do the same thing, I can’t really hold it against VT.

We need to make another one up ala the vaunted "River City Rivalry" in the BE.

Because it's important to the fans to have a contrived rivalry with some random opponent.

Reactions: Parkview57
Land Grant Trophy “pleased”
Yep--there's another one. Invented out of nowhere for no reason.

Can anyone name some others? I'd say it has to be a game between two programs that have no significant annual playing history or tradition with each other.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Can anyone name some others? I'd say it has to be a game between two programs that have no significant annual playing history or tradition with each other.
The Cy-Hick trophy between Iowa State and WVU?

OK not real and I stole that.

UConn and UCF have some stupid thing.

Virginia Tech is the game I get the most fired up for, but I don't think it's a two-way rivalry. Other than that it's just a bunch of teams we play in the division.

Navy-SMU battling it out for the Gansz Trophy is one that was invented out of nowhere.

Not much of a rival team in the ACC. Our biggest rivalry games are still Pedo State and the Mountain folks.

It’s not likely realistic to be able to build a rivalry in such a short time, but I think Pitt has a couple who could end up as a rival.

Hell, PSU has been in the Big 10 for decades, and they don’t have anyone who cares enough about them to have an in conference rivalry.

Beamer ball was built around a soft non conference schedule and a weak conference.
Pitt beat them often enough to matter and now we beat them more often than not.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Virginia Tech is the game I get the most fired up for, but I don't think it's a two-way rivalry. Other than that it's just a bunch of teams we play in the division.
I lived in Northern VA when Walt Harris had a little winning streak against VT. There were a lot of VT alums in the area and we had a sense of rivalry with coworkers and when we were in a sports bar. You have a fair amount of Pitt alums and Pittsburgh’ers in No. VA which added to it.

I’d say VT too. Hated them in the Big East days. The run of beating them in 2001 with Vick, the 2002 game in Blacksburg when they were top 5, the 2003 Gameday/night game at Heinz when they were top 5 again. This was also the “ACCHoles” game because it was announced they were bolting… I hated them as a student.

I’m going to the UNC game this year. Curious to see how this whole event goes down. Rivalry, or mutual dis-admiration?
Will be sitting with the Pitt crew. Would love to get a win there.

Minnesota vs Nebraska for the $5 bits of broken chair trophy. Look it up. Interesting story to how it came to be.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT