ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's Pro Day is Tomorrow

Pitt has done a real nice job with the TV production. Pinnock made himself some money today. Hamlin has performed better than I expected. Ford obviously hurt himself.

Okay... So for years I've read and listened how Ford was this physical freak, a marvel you might say. And, it was complete and utter nonsense that not only was Duzz screwing over him and the team for not starting him as a frosh and soph, he actually should've been playing him both ways...

Now, we find out that

#1. He's not a physical freak, he's way below average at his position in the speed department.
#2. Duzz wasn't screwing him or the team over by not playing him.

Okay... So for years I've read and listened how Ford was this physical freak, a marvel you might say. And, it was complete and utter nonsense that not only was Duzz screwing over him and the team for not starting him as a frosh and soph, he actually should've been playing him both ways...

Now, we find out that

#1. He's not a physical freak, he's way below average at his position in the speed department.
#2. Duzz wasn't screwing him or the team over by not playing him.

And maybe, just maybe, this explains his entirely odd recruitment. Something was definitely not right with that whole thing, and it was assumed that the problem was academics, but maybe not just academics.

Tough day for Ford. When speed is suppose to be one of your best traits and you put up an awful 40 time is going to make teams go back and look at the tape in a bad way. Though, I never thought he played that slow.

He anticipates as well as any safety we have had so reaction time may compensate for pure point a to point b

Tough day for Ford. When speed is suppose to be one of your best traits and you put up an awful 40 time is going to make teams go back and look at the tape in a bad way. Though, I never thought he played that slow.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Kinda reflects what I saw in real games. Not real noticeable save the marginal hits.

Kinda reflects what I saw in real games. Not real noticeable save the marginal hits.
I assume you are talking about Ford ... I actually think the poor vertical jump is just as surprising as the bad 40 time. You would think someone with his kind of explosion for those hits would have a better vertical. Back in my day (which is now a long time ago), a 30" vertical was considered the sign of someone with decent explosion and athleticism. Decent, nothing amazing. But Ford didn't even jump that.

I assume you are talking about Ford ... I actually think the poor vertical jump is just as surprising as the bad 40 time. You would think someone with his kind of explosion for those hits would have a better vertical. Back in my day (which is now a long time ago), a 30" vertical was considered the sign of someone with decent explosion and athleticism. Decent, nothing amazing. But Ford didn't even jump that.

His running/jumping reminds me of Shady's workouts.

Shady ran a handheld 4.55 and jumped 28"...

If it were laser it would've been in the 4.75-4.8 range.

Probably the same reason he didn't break many long runs at PITT.

Shady was a good player who was very fortunate to have been drafted by the Eagles surrounded by Reid, Vick, Desean, and Mackey...

His running/jumping reminds me of Shady's workouts.

Shady ran a handheld 4.55 and jumped 28"...

If it were laser it would've been in the 4.75-4.8 range.

Probably the same reason he didn't break many long runs at PITT.

Shady was a good player who was very fortunate to have been drafted by the Eagles surrounded by Reid, Vick, Desean, and Mackey...
Now on his way to a potential hall of fame career
Perhaps these measurables don’t matter as much as some think?

Reactions: Farnox and 303vND

ehh... I'd like to wager that the overwhelming majority of the NFL HOFers were absolute freaks..

But, I will say this - if you're going to be a step slow you better be an offensive player. You cannot hide on defense in the league.

Shady had 2 things going for him. He had elite vision and elite change of direction skills. He ran a 4.18 in the SS compared to Paris' 4.53.

We'll see if these measurables do matter for Paris. I doubt he gets drafted because of it.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
Yep...they really don't have close to the value people place on them. How many players have you seen win the Combine but couldn't play a lick. Mike Mamula says hello.

Foot speed is important for all DBs! He most likely will play SS and cover the slot receiver who is usually not as fast as the wide outs but be quicker to run their patterns. Most likely the combine hurt Ford but we will see.

ehh... I'd like to wager that the overwhelming majority of the NFL HOFers were absolute freaks..

But, I will say this - if you're going to be a step slow you better be an offensive player. You cannot hide on defense in the league.

Shady had 2 things going for him. He had elite vision and elite change of direction skills. He ran a 4.18 in the SS compared to Paris' 4.53.

We'll see if these measurables do matter for Paris. I doubt he gets drafted because of it.
Shady also had insane production. His tape was unreal- just creating something out of nothing behind a bad O line. Fords college play is not good enough to overcome a 4.83 40 yard dash. That's interior o line speed

Shady also had insane production. His tape was unreal- just creating something out of nothing behind a bad O line. Fords college play is not good enough to overcome a 4.83 40 yard dash. That's interior o line speed

Shady didn't have a bad OL. He had a putrid passing game where teams could load the box. I believe every single one of Shady's OL at least got a cup of coffee in the NFL. But, his passing game was downright pathetic at times.

As usual, thanks for posting real
informative information

Foot speed is important for all DBs! He most likely will play SS and cover the slot receiver who is usually not as fast as the wide outs but be quicker to run their patterns. Most likely the combine hurt Ford but we will see.
For a safety, closing speed and tackling ability are keys. Ford has a lot of good tape....although I'm sure the "experts" will point to the ND game.

He'll get drafted and have a nice career, IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT