• Hurley

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • Capel

Votes: 182 93.3%
  • Anyone else on planet earth

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
During the hiring process Hurley was my #1 choice. When we hired capel I was on board immediately(as almost everyone was). Of course a little more than a month into the hire it's clear capel is the better fit for Pitt over Hurley, imo. He is the type of coach with the right personality that this program needs right now. His recruiting has amazed me so far it's amazing what he's done in such a short amount of time.
Exciting time to be a Pitt bball fan for sure.
H2P!

I would say Hurley is probably the better coach and Capel probably the better recruiter.

Reactions: Chaos
I am all in on the Capel hire, but wanted Hurley when it was known that he was our option.

However, if it would’ve been the option between the two all the way back to the beginning then I would’ve been behind Capel. I think the fact we didn’t know he was an option is he only reason he wasn’t the favorite of most of us from the beginning.

I was never on the bandwagon for Hurley and his decision to go to UConn didn’t surprise me , what did surprise me was that Heather and co could convince JC to take the Pitt job . I think Pitt got the better recruiter now time will tell if we got the better coach . Hopefully his yrs as Coach K’s sidekick some knowledge will have rubbed off . I’m looking for some exciting times ahead for Pitt bb .

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
No idea until Hurley proves what he can do at a bigger program. Capel at VCU = Hurley at URI given that Capel was far younger, rebuilding from a lower place, and coaching at a younger age. I take Capel over Hurley because he seems to have superior character.

No regrets on Capel. Would have been happy with Hurley too. Time will tell. I'm thinkin, in the end, our views will be similar to The Hold Steady's:

"You can't get every girl
You'll get the ones you love the best
You won't get every girl
You'll love the ones you get the best"

During the hiring process Hurley was my #1 choice. When we hired capel I was on board immediately(as almost everyone was). Of course a little more than a month into the hire it's clear capel is the better fit for Pitt over Hurley, imo. He is the type of coach with the right personality that this program needs right now. His recruiting has amazed me so far it's amazing what he's done in such a short amount of time.
Exciting time to be a Pitt bball fan for sure.
H2P!

I agree. Hurley was my number one choice when Jamie left and when Stallings got fired. But I do think Capel might be the better choice for Pitt. As has been mentioned, Hurley’s kind of a dbag and I don’t think that is what we need right now. We will likely be down again next season and the program needs a recruiter to send out some positivity to the fans base and recruits.

Reactions: Teh Teh
They'd both be great. Hurley turned us down and that might turn out to be a blessing in disguise, not because Hurley is bad, but rather because I don't think many of us even considered Capel a realistic option. Hurley's coached at two programs that were beyond pathetic when he's been hired and he's turned both around in short order. He's a very good coach, so I don't really like some of the revisionist history where Hurley was never all that great, but I am ecstatic with the early returns on Capel. The bottom line is that Hurley is probably a better coach in terms of X's and O's, but he can't recruit as well as Capel and the latter is more essential to turning our program around.

Reactions: indypanther
Hurley and all those guys mentioned with a good run through the tourney I always question. Sure good coaches, but good bounces, good seeding, and bam you won 2 games in the tourney then get a 3 mil deal coaching a better team.

I live Capel cause that isn’t him, he is a f’n good coach and recruiter. Coach K, probably the best coach of our generation had him as his right-hand man. Just a tremendous choice and land for Pitt.

Sure some negative “Pitt” fans who are against every move will vote against him, like that jip guy that derided the hire when it was first announced, but any Pitt fan with a brain can see this is and was a great get.

Reactions: jaebree422
They'd both be great. Hurley turned us down and that might turn out to be a blessing in disguise, not because Hurley is bad, but rather because I don't think many of us even considered Capel a realistic option. Hurley's coached at two programs that were beyond pathetic when he's been hired and he's turned both around in short order. He's a very good coach, so I don't really like some of the revisionist history where Hurley was never all that great, but I am ecstatic with the early returns on Capel. The bottom line is that Hurley is probably a better coach in terms of X's and O's, but he can't recruit as well as Capel and the latter is more essential to turning our program around.

I agree...Capel looks like a better fit then Hurley.

Like his recruiting so far.

Seriously, how can I be the only person who voted for anyone else on the planet? Last time I checked, Krzyzewski, Jay Wright, Izzo, Roy Williams, Self, Calipari, Tony Bennett, and Mark Few all lived on this planet.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
Seriously, how can I be the only person who voted for anyone else on the planet? Last time I checked, Krzyzewski, Jay Wright, Izzo, Roy Williams, Self, Calipari, Tony Bennett, and Mark Few all lived on this planet.
HaHa, I did not even read the third choice.

Yeah, but so do Kevin Stallings and DT ( :p ). If you voted for anyone else on the planet earth you are voting for them too.

Lol it was went to be literally any random dude...u don’t get to pick...like the lotto lol

I was all in on Hurley until someone's opinion I trust (and who would know) questioned whether Hurley believed he was really up to the task at recruiting at this level.

He told me he wouldn't pick Pitt because he didn't think he could recruit against the ACC.

Coach Capel has staked his entire future on his belief that he can.

Time will always tell of course, but after rethinking anything, I cannot imagine how we could have made a better selection than Coach Jeff.

I was all in on Hurley until someone's opinion I trust (and who would know) questioned whether Hurley believed he was really up to the task at recruiting at this level.

He told me he wouldn't pick Pitt because he didn't think he could recruit against the ACC.

Coach Capel has staked his entire future on his belief that he can.

Time will always tell of course, but after rethinking anything, I cannot imagine how we could have made a better selection than Coach Jeff.

I agree with all u said.

I supported getting Hurley as I didn’t even know of Capel as an option. But Lyke did a good search & made possibly the best hire that they could have done.

Hopefully he will get us back to winning soon.

Dumb poll . Its follow dumb and dumber on this board anyways.
yeah People are gonna say they dont like Capel ?

Despite his success, Hurley appeared to be somewhat arrogant and something of a hardass. We have seen the limitations of that type of personality. I think Capel will resemble Dixon in making the players feel part of Pitt as a family. He is respectable and he emphasizes the need to demonstrate a caring attitude towards his players. I believe that is the best way to build their confidence in their game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Not trying to be a pollyanna, but again when the search commenced, I didn't even think of someone like Capel. But when his name surfaced, I thought "damn, that would be great". I think he is a better hire and fit than Hurley. I think we did really well here.

Hurley's bags would have never been unpacked as he tried to find his next landing spot in the Northeast which according to his wife Mrs Hurley Pittsburgh isn't a part of.

But apparently Mrs Hurley considered UConn Storrs CT as part of the Northeast and it isn't.

Is CT or Storres CT a part of New England?

The territory of Maine had been a part of Massachusetts, but it was granted statehood on March 15, 1820 as part of the Missouri Compromise. Today, New England is defined as the six states of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.

Mrs Buffett and I know this because we lived in New England for many years but apparently Mrs Hurley has her geography screwed up?

But if you asked someone from deep New England like where we lived Western Mass or Vermont if Storrs CT was a part of New England they would say No?

And if you asked someone from Philly if Pittsburgh was a part of the Northeast they would say No?

Storrs CT is to New England like Pittsburgh PA is to the Northeast. Noone thinks they belong in either region? Except they do.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
I would say Hurley is probably the better coach and Capel probably the better recruiter.

I think this is probably true. I preferred Hurley but I always said he wouldn't be at Pitt that long. Capel is a better recruiter and the Pitt/Capel marriage seems like it could last much longer than with Hurley for various reasons.

Recruiting is more important. Even if you're a poor game day coach, most times better talent will win just playing playground ball.

There was a discussion about the cliche "home run hire."

Hurley would have been a solo HR in the seventh inning. A really good hire.

Capel was a three run HR. His resume was better, to be honest. He actually coached at the major level, and had some success.

And, as others have noted, the big thing is he WANTS to be at Pitt, while they were trying to buy Hurley's love. He probably isn't as much of a scumbag as Graham, but it probably would have ended similarly, as most noted, he getting out of town at the first possible opportunity.

He probably would had some level of success at Pitt if his heart was in it, just the same as Howland or JD did, who were not big time recruiters.

Similarly, I think people discount HCJCs "coaching" because of how Oklahoma ended. Things spun out for him there, and the situation just got the better of him.

Its instructive that he patiently sat coach K's side for seven years.

As most noted, he just was not on our radar because he had passed up other similar jobs.

To whatever extent luck was involved, it was that AD Lyke was not able to temporarily buy Hurley's love.

I was definitely excited about Hurley when it seemed like he had a chance to come here. I think he is obviously a good coach and he has name recognition that I thought would allow him to recruit well here.

Looking back though, he clearly used Pitt to get more money from UConn and if his interest in Pitt was actually real, he would have been coming here simply for money which in the end probably would not have worked out.

So I think we ended up in a much better spot when things were all said and done. We got a really good fit in Capel who knows the ACC, knows what it taks to recruit in the ACC and knows what it takes to win in the ACC being at Duke as a player and then as a top assistant.

We might have went down swinging in our first AB with Hurley but in my opinion we certainly followed that up with a HR in our 2nd at bat.

Hurley and all those guys mentioned with a good run through the tourney I always question. Sure good coaches, but good bounces, good seeding, and bam you won 2 games in the tourney then get a 3 mil deal coaching a better team.

I live Capel cause that isn’t him, he is a f’n good coach and recruiter. Coach K, probably the best coach of our generation had him as his right-hand man. Just a tremendous choice and land for Pitt.

Sure some negative “Pitt” fans who are against every move will vote against him, like that jip guy that derided the hire when it was first announced, but any Pitt fan with a brain can see this is and was a great get.
I did not deride the fact we hired Capel. You are a liar.

I think Hurley was the safer choice. He is a more proven HC and he has done well in recruiting. Capel has some real big potential and can really, really recruit, but we really aren't sure whether he is a very good HC. Whether we like it or not his career at OU was very good with Blake Griffin and not very good without him.

I think Capel is probably the 2nd best choice we could have had (behind Hurley) and, frankly, that is really awesome for Pitt basketball, even if it was 2016. In 2018, after what Barnes/Stallings/Cage did to our program? It was awesome. It was frightening we were interviewing/talking to some of the coaches we were, but in the end we made a very good hire with lots of potential.

I will thank HL when I see her.

Reactions: below0w
I think Hurley was the safer choice. He is a more proven HC and he has done well in recruiting. Capel has some real big potential and can really, really recruit, but we really aren't sure whether he is a very good HC. Whether we like it or not his career at OU was very good with Blake Griffin and not very good without him.

I think Capel is probably the 2nd best choice we could have had (behind Hurley) and, frankly, that is really awesome for Pitt basketball, even if it was 2016. In 2018, after what Barnes/Stallings/Cage did to our program? It was awesome. It was frightening we were interviewing/talking to some of the coaches we were, but in the end we made a very good hire with lots of potential.

I will thank HL when I see her.

While Hurley might be slightly better, it depends who really “wants” the job.

Hurley would have maybe taken it for like $4 mil a year but he didn’t want it that much. Plus, others have pointed out that his wife didn’t want to come to Pgh either.

Capel, on the other hand, wants this job for more than just a handsome paycheck & wants to prove that he can be a great head coach after learning from Coach K for a good while.

Putting Hurley aside, I’m glad that we have someone who is truly putting the effort in again unlike Stallings who didn’t seem to care much at all.

Go Pitt

I think Hurley likely has the most coaching upside, but also has a pretty big time potential risk with a low floor. Capel has a big time recruiting edge and probably a higher floor coaching wise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT