ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Prediction

cruzer

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001
Since the season is going so well and there's not a lot to discuss right now, thought I'd speculate on which Pitt players we might see in the portal this year. Here's my prediction:

1. Nate Yarnell - with CV establishing himself at QB and having a couple of years of eligibility (I believe) why would Yarnell hang around at Pitt? Sure he's #2 on the depth chart but that won't mean doo doo unless CV gets hurt. I think it's likely he hits the bricks after the season.

2. Gavin Bartholomew - GB may be the least effectively utilized weapon we have. He could transfer to a school that can actually spell tight end. Footnote is that the wildcard is Cignetti. If he stays, I say GB transfers. If Cignetti goes, GB may wait to see who is taking over the offense.

3. One of the Freshman WR's - I think at least one of the freshmen WR's will transfer due to numbers in front of him. Which one is anyone's guess.

4. Nahki Johnson - Already been passed on the depth chart by younger players. He'll move on to get some PT.

5. Elliot Donald - see comments on Nakhi Johnson.

6. Rashad Battle - never really seemed to click for Battle. Moving on for a new opportunity.

Could be several other candidates as well. It will be interesting to see who decides to hit the bricks this off season.

Cruzer

I would say Hammond is as good as gone.

But it's the young guys they really need to hang onto. A lot of people seem to forget that Justin Fuente was pretty decent at first... until he got bit by the transfer bug and then could never break the cycle. Can't retain players, because you suck; can't not suck when 30 guys are leaving every offseason.

Guys like Okunlola and Kenny Johnson, etc. will be important to keep at Pitt.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Which is why this loss sucks. It would have been good vibes and now it will get worse these next two weeks.

Have to finish strong and win those final three games.

I would say Hammond is as good as gone.

But it's the young guys they really need to hang onto. A lot of people seem to forget that Justin Fuente was pretty decent at first... until he got bit by the transfer bug and then could never break the cycle. Can't retain players, because you suck; can't not suck when 30 guys are leaving every offseason.

Guys like Okunlola and Kenny Johnson, etc. will be important to keep at Pitt.
I would be surprised if Kenny Johnson sticks around, hope I'm wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Since the season is going so well and there's not a lot to discuss right now, thought I'd speculate on which Pitt players we might see in the portal this year. Here's my prediction:

1. Nate Yarnell - with CV establishing himself at QB and having a couple of years of eligibility (I believe) why would Yarnell hang around at Pitt? Sure he's #2 on the depth chart but that won't mean doo doo unless CV gets hurt. I think it's likely he hits the bricks after the season.

2. Gavin Bartholomew - GB may be the least effectively utilized weapon we have. He could transfer to a school that can actually spell tight end. Footnote is that the wildcard is Cignetti. If he stays, I say GB transfers. If Cignetti goes, GB may wait to see who is taking over the offense.

3. One of the Freshman WR's - I think at least one of the freshmen WR's will transfer due to numbers in front of him. Which one is anyone's guess.

4. Nahki Johnson - Already been passed on the depth chart by younger players. He'll move on to get some PT.

6. Rashad Battle - never really seemed to click for Battle. Moving on for a new opportunity.

Could be several other candidates as well. It will be interesting to see who decides to hit the bricks this off season.

Cruzer
Who do you think will come to Pitt in the Portal then? Because the Portal goes both ways.

Cruzer
I know Iowa isn’t a sexy program to play for, but if you’re a tight end hoping to showcase and play in the NFL…and this year they aren’t loaded there like they typically are.

I’m not sure what happened with Hammond but I thought he was the toughest and best back we had. Certainly a more powerful and downhill runner between the tackles than C’Bo. Maybe he got himself into somebody’s doghouse.

Reactions: kma0043
We better reload in the secondary and DL, OL come portal season.

Prob want to get a backup QB too and maybe a RB incase on of our stud freshman aren’t ready to play

Hammond was going to enter the portal, but he pulled a muscle in his mouse clicking finger so he couldn't complete the process.

Narduzzi said today that they tried putting him in toward the end of the Wake game and he told them to stick with C'Bo because he's the hot hand. That's both a bad sign and quite an odd tidbit to divulge.

Who do you think will come to Pitt in the Portal then? Because the Portal goes both ways.
No idea who will be available. The challenge we'll have in the portal is that the high profile guys with a proven track record will be in high demand and are likely to command big NIL bucks (which we won't be able to match). There will be a bunch of guys who were backups and could never get playing time available that we might be able to get. The real question is whether the portal guys we can land will be better then the guys we lose. TBD.

Narduzzi said today that they tried putting him in toward the end of the Wake game and he told them to stick with C'Bo because he's the hot hand. That's both a bad sign and quite an odd tidbit to divulge.
I thought the same thing when I read that. Weird.

My interpretation of that: he gone.

GB is putting up the best season of his young career. I think as long as he continues to get targets he sticks it out. Same with Johnson. They won't have to worry about PJ or Slovis anymore. Pickett benefited from a higher pace tempo. CV appears to in limited action as well. Find the right coordinator and the offense can come alive again next year.

I don't think jumping into the portal is a given for anyone. I heard some solid rumors about guys last year and it never happened. One is starting. It's also not a given that guys are going to land somewhere better. I think it's been proven over and over that jumping into the portal is pretty risky.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
CBo, a guy whose next broken tackle will be his first one? He had the “Hot hand?”.

Things are truly unraveling for Narduzzi.

CBo, a guy whose next broken tackle will be his first one? He had the “Hot hand?”.

Things are truly unraveling for Narduzzi.
he's our best RB and well that says more about our RB group than it does him. He's been decent, mediocre, not bad but not really good but there is no one else so that makes him look better..

hammond has been a huge dissapointment. he's a 195 lb running back that plays like he is 235 lbs. Hey, we love the confidence but unfortunately it has caused injury after injury. maybe a change of scenery is best for him. he could be a dominant back at a lower level..

i really like bartholomew and hope he at least waits and sees who next year's OC is before leaving but i think at this point, that's wishful thinking..

he's our best RB and well that says more about our RB group than it does him. He's been decent, mediocre, not bad but not really good but there is no one else so that makes him look better..

hammond has been a huge dissapointment. he's a 195 lb running back that plays like he is 235 lbs. Hey, we love the confidence but unfortunately it has caused injury after injury. maybe a change of scenery is best for him. he could be a dominant back at a lower level..

i really like bartholomew and hope he at least waits and sees who next year's OC is before leaving but i think at this point, that's wishful thinking..

I don't think Hammond would go to a lower level. He's a pretty good player who I see more as a 10-15 carry guy who can do some damage catching the ball as well. I think there are a lot of better teams than Pitt that would love to have him.

I don't think Hammond would go to a lower level. He's a pretty good player who I see more as a 10-15 carry guy who can do some damage catching the ball as well. I think there are a lot of better teams than Pitt that would love to have him.
maybe a change of pace back behind a talented back with a good OL. pretty much what he should have been behind Izzy last year, had he been healthy..

just dont think he's a starting P5 RB, a good one anyways at a high level. so if he wants to be that guy, transfer down. if he wants to be a complimentary back on a really good team, i'd imagine he could find a team that would take him in that role.

That is a red flag for me especially when Hammond always had a bulldog mentality. When has a competitive RB refused carries? Also strange that Narduzzi would make it public if true. It makes Narduzzi, Powell and Hammond look bad.

That is a red flag for me especially when Hammond always had a bulldog mentality. When has a competitive RB refused carries? Also strange that Narduzzi would make it public if true. It makes Narduzzi, Powell and Hammond look bad.
Duzz's mouth often gets ahead of his brain. Immediately after he spilled that he tried to soften it up with:

I would have liked to have got him more snaps the other day because I think he's special as well. We are going to play the hot guy, and maybe Rodney rushes for 150 this week.

Which just makes it sound worse.

Impossible to know at this time who may want to leave but Going 3-9 won't help any of our team in the portal market. We will have an interesting off season for many reasons....grab the popcorn

To me, Hammond has always looked very bit the part of a P5 RB when he's been given decent reps. He's a downhill runner with good vision, some burst and he loves contact. He's not a big dude but he's strong and runs powerful with leverage. The future looked bright for him after his freshman year. Then Cignasty came to town.

I haven't been overly impressed with C'Bo, he's been OK but nothing special. On one second half run he ran through a clean B gap but cut right directly into a tackler rather than left into wide open space. That one looked even worse from the overhead slow mo replay.

Cruzer

Nobody matters except Bartholomew and we dont use him anyway. Anyone else we lose, we could get the same guy in the portal. We have no talent.

Nobody matters except Bartholomew and we dont use him anyway. Anyone else we lose, we could get the same guy in the portal. We have no talent.
Baer would hurt, think the freshman wr from harrisburg/york would hurt too. kind of liking Lovelace but it's early. but yeah, very few "difference makers" on this roster..

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I have posted several times, and others saw and noted it, too, that a game or two before Wake, Hammond tapped out twice after first down carries to start drives.

This situation is just bizarre.

Duzz's mouth often gets ahead of his brain. Immediately after he spilled that he tried to soften it up with:

I would have liked to have got him more snaps the other day because I think he's special as well. We are going to play the hot guy, and maybe Rodney rushes for 150 this week.[/I]

Which just makes it sound worse.
Yeah he’s the kind of coach, like Tomlin, you can overlook his condescending talking down to media if he’s winning games, but when he’s losing, it’s really irksome.
I suppose it’s like that with most coaches in most towns; I only pay attention to those two.

Either way, face it, coaches lie frequently, maybe outright (like when Duz said he thought Jurkovec was playing well so many times; or his absurd claim that Cig has total control over everything that isn’t defense)

Or in this case he’s lying with a twisting of words. Here’s likely close to what went down:

“Rodney … that’s your name, right? Rodney? Dam there’s so many players... “

“Yes coach! Am I going in now Coach!

“I know, I know, we said we’d get you into this game at some point. But I’m still pissed at you for complaining when Phil’s pass hit you in the back of your heel “

“Coach, that pass hit my heel on the fifth hop”

“See, it’s that bad attitude again”

“I’m sorry coach.”

“Anyway, I know things started slow today. And, well, looks like they’re finishing slow too. But CBo picked up his rushing average out there; it’s up to a yard and a half. Would you say he has the hot hand?”

“Well coach, I don’t know, maybe if we judge it by the TOP you’re always talking about…”

“No, that wasn’t a rhetorical question, I need you to actually SAY those words.”

“Sure coach. ‘CBo has the hot hand’.

“Good job, Randy”

“Rodney, sir”

Next day…

“Rocky told me he thought CBo had the hot hand”

To me, Hammond has always looked very bit the part of a P5 RB when he's been given decent reps. He's a downhill runner with good vision, some burst and he loves contact. He's not a big dude but he's strong and runs powerful with leverage. The future looked bright for him after his freshman year. Then Cignasty came to town.

I haven't been overly impressed with C'Bo, he's been OK but nothing special. On one second half run he ran through a clean B gap but cut right directly into a tackler rather than left into wide open space. That one looked even worse from the overhead slow mo replay.
Saw that too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT