ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Season Honors May Signal Bright Future At Pitt, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
PITT LOCKER ROOM
JERRY DIPAOLA BLOG
The victories against Duke and Louisville were nice, but the best two days of the past month for the Pitt football program were Monday and Tuesday when the future came into a sudden and bright focus. Even if it doesn’t include James Conner and Tyler Boyd.

Let’s be clear, though. Conner and Boyd are two of the best players to wear a Pitt uniform — ever — and they would make the Panthers as strong as any team in the ACC next season. A tie for second place wasn’t bad for a first-year coach, but with Conner and Boyd, fans rightfully would expect a division championship, at least. But the program is no longer top heavy with one or two stars; good players are developing throughout the roster.

Eight Pitt players were recognized by the ACC, which probably goes overboard naming first-, second-, third- and honorable mention teams. Still, those players caught the eyes of several observers and analysts in the media during the season, and the best part of the story for Pitt is that at least five of them are returning.

Let’s deal with the first-team selections first.
Boyd, a junior, and senior defensive end Ejuan Price could return in 2016 — if that’s what they want. Boyd, however, could declare for the NFL Draft and become at least a second-round pick in the spring. That reality will be difficult for him to ignore.
Could Boyd improve his standing if he comes back to Pitt for his senior year? Probably. He won’t have a new quarterback to connect with or a new offense to learn next year, and he could compile even greater pass-catching numbers than his 85/873/6 (receptions/yards/touchdowns) of 2015. But you can’t do dramatically better than the second round, unless you get into the top 10 of the first round, so Boyd may opt to leave.

Price is another story. Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi wants him to return and said he would personally file papers with the NCAA to get Price a sixth year of eligibility after injuries wiped out more than half of his college career. But Price also will be eligible for the 2016 draft. I think he could help his 2017 draft position if he returns to school, but that’s something for Price and his family to decide.

Five of the remaining six Pitt ACC all-stars (senior defensive tackle Darryl Render) is the exception) will return next season.
Second-teamers Adam Bisnowaty and Dorian Johnson, both juniors, quietly had good seasons while anchoring the left side of Pitt’s offensive line. Running back Qadree Ollison, a redshirt freshman, was named ACC Offensive Rookie of the Year and also took his place on the second team.

On defense, strong safety Jordan Whitehead was overall and defensive Rookie of the Year and a third-team All-ACC safety. Sophomore Avonte Maddox checked in as an honorable mention cornerback.

That’s a good foundation from which to build the 2016 Pitt team. Several other key players are back next year, including quarterback Nathan Peterman, running back Darrin Hall, starting offensive linemen Alex Officer and Brian O’Neill, promising backup O-lineman Alex Bookser, several defensive backs (other than Whitehead) and linebackers Matt Galambos, Mike Caprara and Bam Bradley.

But that’s a story for the spring. This season still has a game to go, and Pitt’s bowl destination will be announced Sunday. Pitt has a second chance to get to nine victories for the first time since 2009 (when it won 10).

I’m rooting for Nashville and the Music City Bowl on Dec. 30 (vs. Tennessee?), but New York City, Yankee Stadium and the Pinstripe Bowl on Dec. 26 (vs. Indiana?) seem more likely. I hear some Pitt band members have been told to prepare to spend Christmas on Broadway.

For a complete wrap-up of the Pitt, Penn State and West Virginia regular seasons, give a click and a listen to the College Football Locker Room show. It aired on TribLive Radio on Wednesday, but you can get it here, too. It features the Trib’s three college beat writers (myself, Bob Cohn and Bill West).

I hope it comes across, but it’s my most enjoyable hour of the work week.

http://blog.triblive.com/college-lo...ason-honors-may-signal-bright-future-at-pitt/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT