ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Tennessee thoughts

pittjas

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2016
Pittsburgh
1.) Kenny Pickett is a stud. Crazy how underappreciated and slandered he’s been on this board. Seems to really have upped his game this year too. Just seems so comfortable and so in control of this team. And farthest thing from a “game manager”. We go as Kenny goes. Made himself some money today and think he’ll go in rounds 2-3 if he can keep playing like he did today.

2.) Cool to see Petrishen make a huge play and play a lot. Seems like a good kid who’s been through a lot. Him and Devonshire played a lot today, can only help local recruiting to see WPIAL guys come back here and be “hometown heroes”.

3.) I’ve never thought Whipple was as bad as many of you think (though he’s certainly frustrated me). There’s ALWAYS going to be OC calls that are headscratching - that’s the nature of football - but I thought he called a good game today. We always seem to have guys open in the pass game AND Kenny has gotten so much more comfortable going through his progressions - some of that credit goes to Whip.

4.) Really impressive to weather the 1Q storm. It was so loud and we really came out a little scared. To get through that and get the lead in the second quarter is a sign of an experienced, mature team.

5.) While Tennessee isn’t UGA/Bama, being there you could see just how athletic and big they are. They’ll probably go 6-6 or something like that but they have legit athletes.

6.) Props to Pitt fans for traveling well. It’s a shame we just don’t have the numbers (or the right size stadium) for a good home atmosphere, but there sure is a small group of really good die-hard fans. Awesome group today in TN!

7.) Would like to see more overall from the run game BUT was really good to see us be able to run the ball a couple times when we really needed to - the goal line TD run and the last drive. Izzy and VD is a nice little tandem. Definite progress from a year ago although would like to see less of those 0 yard runs and more consistent 2-4 yard runs on those routine 1st down carries.

8.) Defense is definitely exciting and high risk/reward. I’m fine with forcing the deep fade to the outside WR - is a tough throw and catch for college QB/WRs… BUT I’d like to see us stop giving up those wide open seam throws on PA or on the pop passes. That concept is a killer for our defense with how much we ask our LBs and safeties to do against the run and we’ve seen it over and over.

9.) Didn’t have service in the stadium, was surprised to get on here a few hours later and see how negative it was. We beat an SEC team on the road. Won a tough game we were supposed to. We never do that! Just enjoy it. The coaches get paid the big bucks to worry constantly about the little stuff. We pay money for entertainment. This is supposed to be at least somewhat fun!

10.) As long as we take care of business, setting up to be a HUGE game in Blacksburg in a month.

11.) I’m gonna just enjoy this ride. This year just seems to be different. Maybe it will be, maybe it won’t, but I’m just going to go along for the ride. In a few months we can discuss either the details of what Narduzzi’s extension should be or start the GoFundMe to fire him - but for now I’m all in.

H2P

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News