ADVERTISEMENT

Potential new transfer rule

It may help some schools at the bottom of major conferences too. The supposed star who went to a blue blood and wasnt seeing time in his first year or two can easily transfer to a lesser program still in a good conference such as the big east or american. I am an ECU fan and the transfer rule might allow us to pick up the kid from UNC, Wake or NCSU who isnt getting time there.
You really wont totally know what will happen til its enacted. If Pitt just gets back to where they were 6 or 7 years ago they wont have to worry.

Reactions: pitt-girl
This ignores the fact that Carr isn’t very good right now, and wouldn’t be starting if Pitt could easily poach a good PG from a mid-major.

It definitely hurts lower P5 programs compared to the best, but Pitt would never be as bad as we are today under this system.

This would hurt Mid-Majors trying to develop big time if kids can just up & leave with out sitting out. Would a school like Creighton or Butler have developed into Major/Power teams like they are today if this was in place 10-20 years ago?

It would just make the...IDk...700 some Transfers a year double or triple.

I definitely hope this doesn't go thru.

Reactions: FireballZ
Yes. Lets say Marcus Carr develops into a 20 PPG all-ACC player next year. He'd be off to Duke or UK. If not them, that next step down like MSU, Lou, Az, etc

But for the most part that doesn't happen in other sports, so why does everyone assume that it would in basketball?

For instance Pitt has had some good volleyball players in the past. Why hasn't someone like Penn State poached all their best players? Pitt has had a few (not very many) good women's soccer players. Why hasn't North Carolina or Notre Dame poached them? Heck, just last year a men's soccer player from Akron, a lot better men's soccer program than Pitt, left there to come here. If it was all about stepping up if he was going to leave Akron why didn't he go someplace else better than Pitt?

Somehow it impacts Pitt (and every other school) in nearly every other sport, and yet somehow they still manage to make it work.

Joe, come on. First of all, the other sports really don't count. No revenue. No interest. Who cares. It is if a tree falls in a forest. Because of this, really there isn't that type of pressure to transfer. Look at the amount of transfers now in BB and FB now, what will it be like then. Nobody cares if a girl transfers in swimming or a boy in wrestling Joe. Nobody cares.

Joe, come on. First of all, the other sports really don't count. No revenue. No interest. Who cares. It is if a tree falls in a forest. Because of this, really there isn't that type of pressure to transfer. Look at the amount of transfers now in BB and FB now, what will it be like then. Nobody cares if a girl transfers in swimming or a boy in wrestling Joe. Nobody cares.

YOU don't care. THEY do. The fact that their world doesn't revolve around what you think has got to be an odd feeling for you, doesn't it.

YOU don't care. THEY do. The fact that their world doesn't revolve around what you think has got to be an odd feeling for you, doesn't it.
horse_ass_by_vstary.jpg

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

Yeah it hurts the mid majors and helps the blue bloods. Basically some zero star like cam Johnson can play a year or two and get poached by U.K./UNC/ Duke / etc...
Seems fair.

Coaches make millions, give kids more options

It is fair for the kids and its what SHOULD happen but its terrible for the customers (fans) and the game itself. They have to balance what's right for what's right for the people buying the product

It is fair for the kids and its what SHOULD happen but its terrible for the customers (fans) and the game itself. They have to balance what's right for what's right for the people buying the product
If this is to happen, an early end of transfer date needs to be set. You can not allow a team to get screwed a week before classes start.

First off, there is little "student" about the athletes on this level. There is nothing "student" about it. So I am not sure how good it is for the "student athletes". I mean, some kid who was underrecruited and went to Depaul and is averaging 17 ppg and 10 rpg is not transferring to Duke for the Poly Sci program. But I guess it is good for the athlete, maybe. Of course, we know blue bloods will hoard these guys and somehow sell them on less playing time just to be a part of it.

That all being said, if coaches can have 3 jobs in one week without penalty, why should the kids be penalized?

I think there should be trades. Why not? We want to treat this like pro sports, let's make trades too. How fun would that be?

Of course they aren't student athletes. The entire thing is a farce. That's why this needs to pass. Give the athletes the SA,e freedom coaches have.

Again, the kids that pick the Olympic Sports do it under a completely different model. I can't say for sure that none of them would transfer in a perfect world, but it can not be compared to football and basketball.

Again, the kids that pick the Olympic Sports do it under a completely different model. I can't say for sure that none of them would transfer in a perfect world, but it can not be compared to football and basketball.

You're correct!

Olympic sport athletes pick a U, play a sport at that U, primarily because that U has the major they want to excel in. They look hard to find a U that has both but the academic course of study is the number one decision maker.

Olympic sports athletes have an eye on their careers after college not pro sports, so academics at the U are more important than the sports. You might be able to single out a few who have a different agenda but those athletes would be that exception.

I'm from Colorado, went to Colorado State because they had a great journalism and communications major for the region. I also wanted to go to a college where I would be able to be on good Alpine Ski Team which was priority number two.

The opposite is the case for revenue sports football and basketball athletes who prioritize sports over academics.

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU & Pitt Panthers!

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardPanther
I'll consider the transfer rule change(s) ONLY after the NCAA demonstrates competence in their investigations of current corruption and blindness in their aministration of penalties for the current cheaters.

It does seem sort of questionable that the two revenue sports (which are also the two majority African American sports with disproportionately poorer athletes in terms of family income) that fund the rest of college athletics, have student athletes that have less transfer rights than the (frequently majority white and middle class) sports that their labor subsidizes.

So I know it will be a pain at times, but basically I'm OK with the proposed rule change.

I do think we'll see some quality transfers away FROM the blue bloods to upper middle programs in the P5, so they can get playing time to showcase themselves for pro scouts more.

It does seem sort of questionable that the two revenue sports (which are also the two majority African American sports with disproportionately poorer athletes in terms of family income) that fund the rest of college athletics, have student athletes that have less transfer rights than the (frequently majority white and middle class) sports that their labor subsidizes.

So I know it will be a pain at times, but basically I'm OK with the proposed rule change.

I do think we'll see some quality transfers away FROM the blue bloods to upper middle programs in the P5, so they can get playing time to showcase themselves for pro scouts more.
I might be OK with this, but I don't think you can just spring it this April without giving teams the chance to prepare for it.

I might be OK with this, but I don't think you can just spring it this April without giving teams the chance to prepare for it.

I agree. I don't have a strong opinion about it but any significant rule change should have several year-lead in to prepare for.

LOL - remove “student” and then you are correct.

There are about 4,500 college basketball players in Division 1. Let's not pretend they're all Ben Simmons skipping class over here ok.

If this is to happen, an early end of transfer date needs to be set. You can not allow a team to get screwed a week before classes start.

Of course. They have to be really careful here because doing what's right for the players is going to cause even more imbalance in football and basketball and lead to a lot fans becoming disenfranchised and giving up when their school becomes a minor league for better schools.

I mean even somewhat respected schools like Pitt, Illinois, Missouri, OKST, etc would become minor leagues for bigger programs and of course you'll have a ton of kids making lateral moves

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT