ADVERTISEMENT

Potential new transfer rule

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
does anyone have a good understanding of what this might look like? Any timeframe for when it might go into effect?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

does anyone have a good understanding of what this might look like? Any timeframe for when it might go into effect?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Only for frosh and sophomores. Might not pass anyway.

In theory, I think its good for the players but its bas for fans and for competitiveness as schools like Pitt's players will be recruited by better programs. And players from mid-majors will be recruited by schools like Pitt.

How so?
Rmu- has 1 choice to be relevant- win its auto Bid in the conference tournament.
Literally nothing changes for them

Any freshman/sophomores that go to RMU and star will leave at that point to go to a bigger program.

Schools like RMU become cinderallas when they find underrecruited guys who become more productive than expected who then become a team full of experienced solid players. This would never happen if this rule passed. They'd always consist of younger players or older not as wanted players... like Pitt this year.

Any freshman/sophomores that go to RMU and star will leave at that point to go to a bigger program.

Schools like RMU become cinderallas when they find underrecruited guys who become more productive than expected who then become a team full of experienced solid players. This would never happen if this rule passed. They'd always consist of younger players or older not as wanted players... like Pitt this year.

Can’t say it any better - exactly what I was thinking. They’ll never be relevant so it wasn’t about that. Just every once in a while a team like this can pull an upset or scare the crap out of someone. Constant poaching will lessen it greatly if not kill it.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

But same will be true of every other team in its conference- so it’s still a level playing field.

Can’t say it any better - exactly what I was thinking. They’ll never be relevant so it wasn’t about that. Just every once in a while a team like this can pull an upset or scare the crap out of someone. Constant poaching will lessen it greatly if not kill it.
So why does anyone think this is a good idea?

Because it's good for the student athletes.

First off, there is little "student" about the athletes on this level. There is nothing "student" about it. So I am not sure how good it is for the "student athletes". I mean, some kid who was underrecruited and went to Depaul and is averaging 17 ppg and 10 rpg is not transferring to Duke for the Poly Sci program. But I guess it is good for the athlete, maybe. Of course, we know blue bloods will hoard these guys and somehow sell them on less playing time just to be a part of it.

That all being said, if coaches can have 3 jobs in one week without penalty, why should the kids be penalized?

I think there should be trades. Why not? We want to treat this like pro sports, let's make trades too. How fun would that be?

But same will be true of every other team in its conference- so it’s still a level playing field.

This is of course correct. But it will absolutely widen the gap between the haves and have nots. And wouldn’t that lessen the chances of the Cinderella teams to a large extent? Ultimately they don’t win the NCAAs anyway or but it makes those first couple rounds a whole lot of fun to watch.

In its conference, yes. Winning the conference tourny will still be the same difficulty. But it will just create much less parity between majors/midmajors/low majors.

The NCAA tourney will just be the same teams dominating ever year with teams getting the one and done talents AND the best midmajor players as Jr/Sr. March Madness wouldn't be the same which would really hurt the appeal of the sport to the casual fan.

Student-athletes (I did that just for you owt ;) ) don't have to sit out a year when they transfer in almost every sport that the NCAA sponsors. They only have to sit out in football and basketball to protect the football and basketball coaches and for absolutely no other reason. If the soccer coach or the volleyball coach or the tennis coach can figure it out then I am quite sure that the much higher paid football and basketball coaches can figure it out too.

Student-athletes (I did that just for you owt ;) ) don't have to sit out a year when they transfer in almost every sport that the NCAA sponsors. They only have to sit out in football and basketball to protect the football and basketball coaches and for absolutely no other reason. If the soccer coach or the volleyball coach or the tennis coach can figure it out then I am quite sure that the much higher paid football and basketball coaches can figure it out too.
Joe - More specifically I am worried about how this rule could impact Pitt

Is it possible for it to take effect this recruiting season (late signing period)? - If it could, the late signing period would resemble the Wild West - We can not afford to lose what assets we currently possess. Losing players and competing for replacement players in our current situation would be extremely difficult.

From what I'm reading this is definitely good for the players; the schools (minus the top ones that get great recruits anyways), not so much. A good example would be Davidson and Seth Curry. Incredible run. He would have been poached in a heartbeat.

The only saving grace is that there are only so many scholarship players on a bench and only a % of them that will get the time and opportunity to develop for the NBA. There still is an advantage to staying with a program where you are the top dog, but oftentimes those kind of players breakout nationally in the NCAAT.

Double edged sword.

This is probably a dumb question. If a player is being poached by a blue blood, do they have the option of saying get lost and they want to stay where they are? I assume they do.

Terrible for fans except of the blue blood programs. The freedom of movement officiating emphasis has already given the blue bloods too large an advantage. Coaches and ADs at the vast majority of schools should completely oppose it.

And seriously, do we think that schools like Duke are going to abandon recruiting players like Bagley and Carter so that they can poach guys like Brown and Stevenson from Pitt's roster? Will Kentucky stop bringing in three or four top 20 recruits every year so that they can grab Carr and Davis off the Pitt roster?

It doesn't work that way in ANY of the other sports that allow transfers without having to sit out. Why would we think that it's going to work that way in basketball?

Somehow it impacts Pitt (and every other school) in nearly every other sport, and yet somehow they still manage to make it work.
You have to admit college football and basketball are very different animals vs. all the other Olympic sports.

You have to admit college football and basketball are very different animals vs. all the other Olympic sports.

In some ways they are, in most ways they are not. Do you think that Jay Vidovich doesn't want to win every bit as badly as Kevin Stallings does simply because Vidovich coaches soccer and Stallings coaches basketball? Do you think that Pat Narduzzi wants to win more than Dan Fisher does simply because Narduzzi coaches football and Fisher coaches volleyball?

In some ways they are, in most ways they are not. Do you think that Jay Vidovich doesn't want to win every bit as badly as Kevin Stallings does simply because Vidovich coaches soccer and Stallings coaches basketball? Do you think that Pat Narduzzi wants to win more than Dan Fisher does simply because Narduzzi coaches football and Fisher coaches volleyball?
Absolutely agree that HC's for the most part are equally ambitious.

I think for the majority of P5 hoops and basketball recruits, the program success outweighs the choice of the actual school. I don't think that is weighed nearly as heavily with most P5 Olympic sport athletes. Having gone through the recruitment of my niece to a P5 Olympic sport program, she heavily considered the actual school and its academics along with the program success.

Hope I am making sense. I think it's apple and oranges.

And seriously, do we think that schools like Duke are going to abandon recruiting players like Bagley and Carter so that they can poach guys like Brown and Stevenson from Pitt's roster? Will Kentucky stop bringing in three or four top 20 recruits every year so that they can grab Carr and Davis off the Pitt roster?

It doesn't work that way in ANY of the other sports that allow transfers without having to sit out. Why would we think that it's going to work that way in basketball?
I do not expect big time programs to steal our players, but I fear the Butler, Creighton types.

I do not expect big time programs to steal our players, but I fear the Butler, Creighton types.
Maybe now, but if Pitt can regain some success and respectability, I don't fear any P5 programs poaching Pitt's players.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuffetParrothead
What happened to "I'm playing for my university, the school of my dreams."

I guess that's history as the "me" / "it's all about me"generation takes over.

" save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU Rams & Pitt Panthers!

Last edited:

-No, but what those programs are doing now simply is not sustainable. Coach K is 70, Roy Williams is going to be 68, Jimmy B is 73, Pitino is done for now, and I dont see Calipari coaching another 10 years.

-So I think this hurts bottom programs, but doesnt fill up blue bloods, but will fill other schools competing with blue bloods.

-I dont care who Duke's next Coach is. He isnt going to be close to the level of Coach K. The same with Roy Williams at North Carolina. Those are going to be monster retiring losses when it happens. And the same thing with Saban at Bama, Billicheick in the NFL, etc.... Its going to happen, and those teams wont be the powerhouses any more. They will be good, but wont be constantly in the Final 4 any more like they are now.

Of course exactly nobody is gonna stop recruiting top level players. But what about a kid like Parker here at home? If he keeps shooting like he is a team could take a run at him as an instant offense type of guy. Not saying every kid would bail but seeing these kids play for 1 or 2 years at the college level gives coaches a pretty good idea of what to expect and allow them to plug a hole by poaching. And I know they’re not gonna be “recruited” but I’m sure there are some back channels. I think kids (not all) would jump from a team like Pitt is at the moment to a winning team.

Reactions: gary2
Of course exactly nobody is gonna stop recruiting top level players. But what about a kid like Parker here at home? If he keeps shooting like he is a team could take a run at him as an instant offense type of guy. Not saying every kid would bail but seeing these kids play for 1 or 2 years at the college level gives coaches a pretty good idea of what to expect and allow them to plug a hole by poaching. And I know they’re not gonna be “recruited” but I’m sure there are some back channels. I think kids (not all) would jump from a team like Pitt is at the moment to a winning team.
At this point, I agree

What happened to "I'm playing for my university, the school of my dreams."

I guess that's history as the "me" / "it's all about me"generation takes over.

" save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU Rams & Pitt Panthers!

It thankfully fell to the wayside under the realities of big time college athletics.

-That's Pitt's athletic department's fault and Stallings fault for putting a shit product on the floor that cant even compete with any other P5 team without any good recruits coming in. You see Vanderbilt making excuses? They have a losing record too, and have 2 Five Star recruits coming in and 1 other 4 star coming in, a Top 5 National recruiting class for next year.

-If you are a respectable coach that competes with a potential bright future or some kind of light at the end of the tunnel, your players wont instantly bail. Cam Johnson knew Pitt was going to suck this year and we do. When there is zero light at the end of the tunnel and its complete darkness, in Pitts current situation, why wouldnt other players bail? They should. I would. We cant even recruit. Thats how pathetic we are.

Yes. Lets say Marcus Carr develops into a 20 PPG all-ACC player next year. He'd be off to Duke or UK. If not them, that next step down like MSU, Lou, Az, etc

From what I'm reading this is definitely good for the players; the schools (minus the top ones that get great recruits anyways), not so much. A good example would be Davidson and Seth Curry. Incredible run. He would have been poached in a heartbeat

Ironically, you’re talking about Steph Curry, but his brother Seth played one year at Liberty before being poached by Duke anyway. So what difference does it make?

Yes. Lets say Marcus Carr develops into a 20 PPG all-ACC player next year. He'd be off to Duke or UK. If not them, that next step down like MSU, Lou, Az, etc

-I dont think so with other schools but I do think so with Stallings and Pitt. Look at the recruit rankings this year. Some unfamiliar territory when Oregon, Vanderbilt, and ASU all have Top 10 National recruiting classes and Oregon has the #1 class in the country

-Kentucky has room open. Those 5 Star players didnt have to go to those 3 schools above. They could have went anywhere. Those players like the Coach, the school, or the direction of the program. There is life at Vanderbilt post Stallings and life at ASU and life at Oregon. Doubt they have some mass exodus of transfers just begging to go to Duke and Kentucky.

-The #2 player in the country chooses tonight. Let's see if he chooses Clemson, or Duke, or Kentucky, or the other 50 programs that offered him. Not all players go to bluebloods.

Ironically, you’re talking about Steph Curry, but his brother Seth played one year at Liberty before being poached by Duke anyway. So what difference does it make?
Oops - you're right. Yikes.

This ignores the fact that Carr isn’t very good right now, and wouldn’t be starting if Pitt could easily poach a good PG from a mid-major.

It definitely hurts lower P5 programs compared to the best, but Pitt would never be as bad as we are today under this system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT