ADVERTISEMENT

Potential OC candidates

Pitt can't compete for a national title. That just isn't realistic.

Huepel is having a hard time recruiting players to run his offense. Tennessee's offense was horrible this year. Florida, Bama, Georgia, and Mizzou had little trouble disposing of the Vols.

When Pitt can recruit like an elite top 10 school, they might have an offense that looks like an elite top 10 school.

Tennessee’s offense finished 26th this year in F+. “Horrible.”

And that’s with Milton at QB, who we all personally watched not be able to come within 10 yards of wide open WRs.

And a thin OL that had too many people out on top of that.

His previous two years were ranked 6th and 1st.

So the down year from the elite offensive years is still a Top 30 offense. Most people would kill for that kind of a down year.

Tennessee’s offense finished 26th this year in F+. “Horrible.”

And that’s with Milton at QB, who we all personally watched not be able to come within 10 yards of wide open WRs.

And a thin OL that had too many people out on top of that.

His previous two years were ranked 6th and 1st.

So the down year from the elite offensive years is still a Top 30 offense. Most people would kill for that kind of a down year.
That's nice that his offense was able to blow the doors off UVA, UTSA, South Carolina, Vandy, and UCONN. But horrible is a more accurate description for the offense in games that determine how their season goes... Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and Mizzou.

Marcus Arroyo (former Oregon OC, UNLV HC)
Jake Spavital (Cal OC)
Kevin Johns (Duke OC)
Mike Yurcich (PSU OC, former)
Scott Frost (former Nebracka OC, UCF, Oregon HC)
Bryon Ellis (Georgia Southern OC)
Gino Guidugli (ND PGC)
Glenn Thomas (Steelers Analyst)
Jay Johnson (MSU OC)
Paul Chryst (Texas OA)
Could imagine if that happens?

im going to go out on a limb and predict whoever we hire, 80% of this board will say he sucks.
if PN hires an OC who was fired or if he hires an OC whose offense was very inconsistent - count me in as part of the 80%.

If he hires someone like Tim Cramsey whose an OC from a team that won 9 games and whose offense consistently put up big numbers throughout the year- count me as part of the 20% who give the hire a thumbs up.

Reactions: 303vND
Speaking of Cramsey, if you can watch this online try and see 1993 Allentown Central Catholic vs. Bethlehem Catholic. Cramsey vs Kendra.

He’s putting a lot of time on Tim Cransey from Memphis,seems like his top choice
You sure? That Memphis offense is the anti-Dooz. They throw the ball a lot more than they run it. If he didn't like Whip's O he won't like Cransey's.

Unless Dooz finally saw the light, which would be a major departure from who he is.

That's nice that his offense was able to blow the doors off UVA, UTSA, South Carolina, Vandy, and UCONN. But horrible is a more accurate description for the offense in games that determine how their season goes... Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and Mizzou.

Sure. Most offenses are horrible against UGA and Bama.

Against UF he had two starting OL out. And seeing as he hasn’t even been there for 3 full recruiting classes, there is no OL depth. So Tenn couldn’t run against a thinned out box because they had scrubs starting for them.

What offense is suppose to overcome that?

With all that said, their offense still did better than most teams in a down year. And that’s with, as you keep pointing out, a lack of talent to even run the system.

That’s how good the system is.

Meanwhile Arkansas went from 103 ranked offense the year before Briles got there, to 21 the year he left. And KJ Jefferson was the highest graded QB in the SEC.

This year post Briles? 81. Basically moved back to the pre-Briles ranking.

What changed? The Veer and Shoot left town, so the 3 Star talent started playing more like a 3 Star talent team.

Sure. Most offenses are horrible against UGA and Bama.

Against UF he had two starting OL out. And seeing as he hasn’t even been there for 3 full recruiting classes, there is no OL depth. So Tenn couldn’t run against a thinned out box because they had scrubs starting for them.

What offense is suppose to overcome that?

With all that said, their offense still did better than most teams in a down year. And that’s with, as you keep pointing out, a lack of talent to even run the system.

That’s how good the system is.

Meanwhile Arkansas went from 103 ranked offense the year before Briles got there, to 21 the year he left. And KJ Jefferson was the highest graded QB in the SEC.

This year post Briles? 81. Basically moved back to the pre-Briles ranking.

What changed? The Veer and Shoot left town, so the 3 Star talent started playing more like a 3 Star talent team.
What? Pretty sure I just watched a garbage Auburn offense run for 250 yds on Bama.

Arkansas still put up 39 points on Florida. South Carolina also put up 39, and their OL is terrible. Kentucky 33.

He's had trouble recruiting OL. They

that offense worked pretty well with Hendon Hooker at QB.

They throw the ball a lot more than they run it.
They (Memphis) throws the ball 37x/game and runs it 34x/game.

Cramsey also has a +1,000 yard rusher.

Listening to some of PITT's coaches last year it wasn't necessarily the volume of passing that Whipple called, it was the running game was disorganized and there was minimum focus on improving it. I mean in 2021, Izzy only finished with 30 more carries then Pickett. I know most of Pickett's runs were scrambles but at the same time, Pickett should have been nowhere near Izzy in volume of carries.

In regards to Mike Shanahan:

From what I’ve heard “through the grapevine,” I don’t anticipate him becoming the next offensive coordinator here. His two most likely outcomes are becoming the next head coach at JMU or going with Curt Cignetti to IU.

He also has other P5(4?) opportunities besides Pitt and IU, as does other JMU staff members (not sure if this includes Tino Sunseri and/or Jarred Holley).

In regards to Mike Shanahan:

From what I’ve heard “through the grapevine,” I don’t anticipate him becoming the next offensive coordinator here. His two most likely outcomes are becoming the next head coach at JMU or going with Curt Cignetti to IU.

He also has other P5(4?) opportunities besides Pitt and IU, as does other JMU staff members (not sure if this includes Tino Sunseri and/or Jarred Holley).
He’s be smart to take over JMU, keep that train rolling, and take the job of his choice in a couple years.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
i think it's official that Shanahan is going to IU with Cignetti. it was just announced about 45 minutes ago.

There is talk that potentially Brandon Streeter may come with him to be QB coach. He played it and coached it. Ha ha.

Didn’t realize Streeter was from Gettysburg.

That'd be great if Streeter came to Pitt. I was a couple classes behind, but played HS football with him at Gettysburg.

There is a helluva lot good concerning McClendon. I just wished he played QB and also coached the QB position.
Id be pleasantly surprised with McClendon. Hes a younger dude who probably would be able to recruit as well and if you added in Streeter that would be appear to be an upgrade and help get some transfers and recruits this year.

Certainly would be better than the stale dudes hes brought in before.

He’s be smart to take over JMU, keep that train rolling, and take the job of his choice in a couple years.
I’d agree with this, but I think it would’ve come down to whether JMU wanted to promote in-house. Now that it’s been announced he’s headed to Bloomington, that answer is “no.”

Id be pleasantly surprised with McClendon. Hes a younger dude who probably would be able to recruit as well and if you added in Streeter that would be appear to be an upgrade and help get some transfers and recruits this year.

Certainly would be better than the stale dudes hes brought in before.
Absolutely 💯

Reactions: bschulter
Doubtful McClendon would leave Georgia until their season is complete

I would not wait without a signed contract (with consequences for a chane of heart)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT