ADVERTISEMENT

Potential OC candidates

What? Pretty sure I just watched a garbage Auburn offense run for 250 yds on Bama.

Arkansas still put up 39 points on Florida. South Carolina also put up 39, and their OL is terrible. Kentucky 33.

He's had trouble recruiting OL. They

And auburn’s offense was better than Tennessee’s?

You’re trying incredibly too hard here.

Heupel is finishing up his third year st Tenn. he doesn’t even have upperclassman he’s recruited for a full cycle on the roster yet.

And he’s produced two Top 10 offenses and Top 30. Their offense the year before he got there was ranked 90.

You saw 3* Arkansas have the exact same turn around under the Veer, and even collapse without it.

I think you’re expecting offensive systems to do way too much.

Heupel and Briles worked offensive miracles with the Veer compared to what they walked into. But that doesn’t mean the system can overcome literally everything.

I don't believe that's it mc clenon. Narduzzi wants his oc to be a qb coach. A also his hirings never get leaked out.

not to mention 4 NFL WR's...

But are the NFL WRs because of the system?

One thing about Veer and Shoot guys, they haven’t exactly lit the NFL on fire.

The feedback from NFL teams and scouts is frequently that none of them actually know how to play WR.

There’s a Spurrier-UF aspect to this where at some point we have to admit those Veer guys are NFL WRs because of the Veer itself.

If he's the guy, there isn't much of a choice. He needs to be in Pittsburgh by Monday.

We've seen teams have their OCs hired away and still play in the playoff after that. Georgia will live without their WR Coach/Pass Game Coordinator.
True but he also doesnt need to leave necessarily. Certainly it would be better but just having it publicly known will help with attracting transfers and recruits. The main thing is they need someone in place (at least known) asap so they can sell the future.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don't believe that's it mc clenon. Narduzzi wants his oc to be a qb coach. A also his hirings never get leaked out.
On top of that, doesn’t he normally wait until after a coach’s conference, presumably meeting with candidates there? This type of hire, at this point in time, would go completely against how he’s operated prior to now… which is a good thing!

And auburn’s offense was better than Tennessee’s?

You’re trying incredibly too hard here.

Heupel is finishing up his third year st Tenn. he doesn’t even have upperclassman he’s recruited for a full cycle on the roster yet.

And he’s produced two Top 10 offenses and Top 30. Their offense the year before he got there was ranked 90.

You saw 3* Arkansas have the exact same turn around under the Veer, and even collapse without it.

I think you’re expecting offensive systems to do way too much.

Heupel and Briles worked offensive miracles with the Veer compared to what they walked into. But that doesn’t mean the system can overcome literally everything.
Huepe walked into a roster with Hooker, Hyatt, Tillman, Darnell Wright, Mays, Jaylen Wright, etc. He's not replacing those players that have moved on with better players. Not really close.

Like every system, it's dependent on talent. It also puts too much stress on a defense. How many teams have won Nattys with the veer and shoot?

True but he also doesnt need to leave necessarily. Certainly it would be better but just having it publicly known will help with attracting transfers and recruits. The main thing is they need someone in place (at least known) asap so they can sell the future.

I don't know if they can afford to not have him hitting the recruiting trail when the portal completely opens December 4th... including talking to Pitt guys who I'm sure are on the fence between staying or leaving.

I'm still convinced we need to bring another QB in, and we all know that's going to be a chaotic mess with all the teams who will be shopping for one.

Well he picked his guy and it’s expected to get done today or tomorrow,the name hasn’t been announced yet
I hope you are right. The sooner the better to try and hold the class together and keep the guys they want on offense.

Anything regarding assistant coaches and the new guy picking who he wants?

Depends on who is the hire,if it was Canada the whole staff is the same since he left besides WR coach

I don't know if they can afford to not have him hitting the recruiting trail when the portal completely opens December 4th... including talking to Pitt guys who I'm sure are on the fence between staying or leaving.

I'm still convinced we need to bring another QB in, and we all know that's going to be a chaotic mess with all the teams who will be shopping for one.
If its the "right" guy that generates excitement then I think you have no other choice. Not necessarily disagreeing with anything you said but Id rather wait for the right guy than get a typical duzz hire that is available now who doesnt move the needle,

Does Shanahan even call the plays at JMU
I’d agree with this, but I think it would’ve come down to whether JMU wanted to promote in-house. Now that it’s been announced he’s headed to Bloomington, that answer is “no.”
Not promoting from within and maintaining continuity is usually the biggest mistake a successful smaller school football program can make.

It will be ashamed if we come out of this with another depressing OC hiring

It's tough to know one way or the other at this stage in the game, honestly. I guess McClendon would be a sexy(ish) name, but people keep referencing his recruiting, and I'm reminded of what Jeff Capel was pulling in at Duke vs what he is landing at Pitt (which isn't to say it's all been awful, but it's a far cry from what the talk was when he got to Pitt). I don't know much about McClendon beyond that, but I tend to think we should make sure the OC has a solid system first and foremost, and then we can possibly land some new position coaches to supplement recruiting... if it even matters beyond NIL money these days.

Reactions: vroskovensky
It's tough to know one way or the other at this stage in the game, honestly. I guess McClendon would be a sexy(ish) name, but people keep referencing his recruiting, and I'm reminded of what Jeff Capel was pulling in at Duke vs what he is landing at Pitt (which isn't to say it's all been awful, but it's a far cry from what the talk was when he got to Pitt). I don't know much about McClendon beyond that, but I tend to think we should make sure the OC has a solid system first and foremost, and then we can possibly land some new position coaches to supplement recruiting... if it even matters beyond NIL money these days.
Tbh, the "good recruiter" part means less and less each year, imo. It's becoming more & more transactional each year. I would say many, if not most high school signees have very little intention of remaining with one school throughout their college career.

But are the NFL WRs because of the system?

One thing about Veer and Shoot guys, they haven’t exactly lit the NFL on fire.

The feedback from NFL teams and scouts is frequently that none of them actually know how to play WR.

There’s a Spurrier-UF aspect to this where at some point we have to admit those Veer guys are NFL WRs because of the Veer itself.
It's probably a little bit of both but the 4 NFL receivers they've had have been pretty impressive from a physical standpoint. You can only run so many routes when you're split out that wide. You better be able to get vertical as a WR in that offense, also you better be able to make the 1st man miss because you're going to have a ton green grass available to you.

I do agree that the system probably over-inflates some value especially at that position. However, at the QB position - I think it's been quite the opposite. I think the system has hurt the development of future NFL QB's. Jordan Palmer said that Bryce Petty played in pretty much the worse offense a QB could in order to be developed for the NFL.

I don't really have a problem with that offense even if it lives in the extremes - WR split wise. I'm the opposite in that I love condensed WR sets because I can access even more grass yet I can get can extra blockers at the point of attack. I can force 9 man quarters front to be a cover 2 front in a hurry and the 4 spokes in the secondary mean nothing vs the interior run.

Reactions: forbesfield
All the offensive players are following McClendon and the QB’s are following streeter,safe to say McClendon is the new OC and streeter is QB coach

Last edited:
All the offensive players are following McClendon and the QB’s are filling streeter,safe to say McClendon is the new OC and streeter is QB coach
This is what I keep hearing. Again, I don’t know everything, but I did hear tonight that the “choice” has been offered and accepted.

My assumption, and it is that, is McClendon. I did hear Streeter, too (QB coach), but don’t know for sure.

There is talk that potentially Brandon Streeter may come with him to be QB coach. He played it and coached it. Ha ha.

Didn’t realize Streeter was from Gettysburg.
Yeah, Barry (his dad) was the coach at the Gettysburg College for years.

The Pitt QB’s are following Streeter on Twitter.

K. Johnson, Bartholomew, Polk, Fowler and Renda are following Bryan McClendon on twitter as well.

The Pitt QB’s are following Streeter on Twitter.

K. Johnson, Bartholomew, Polk, Fowler and Renda are following Bryan McClendon on twitter as well.
Pretty interesting for sure. 🤔

Reactions: pittmeister
Personally I’m referencing his lack of experience as an OC and playcaller. Is that really who we want to entrust the job of fixing the most broken offense in college football?

No thanks.

If Pitt hired this guy he’d try to do exactly what they do at UGA, but with a group of players that couldn’t play IM football at UGA. Wonder how that would work out.

Personally I’m referencing his lack of experience as an OC and playcaller. Is that really who we want to entrust the job of fixing the most broken offense in college football?

No thanks.

If Pitt hired this guy he’d try to do exactly what they do at UGA, but with a group of players that couldn’t play IM football at UGA. Wonder how that would work out.

Yeah, it is kind of weird that these are the types of staffs that typically get pilfered, when their formula is pretty much "acquire more talent and assert dominance."

I mean, I say that not really having any idea what type of system McClendon would want to run. I know he did have some success at SC and then struggled toward the end.

It's just the Capel analogy that worries me. He had some success and some lack thereof, and everyone said he learned so much under K and would be a great recruiter. Well, at least for the first few years it seemed he learned how to roll the ball out and win with more talent at Duke, and he learned how easy it was to recruit when you have the big D at center court. Obviously he's turned things around a bit and adjusted his approach, but we can't afford that learning curve in football.

Reactions: Parkview57
Yeah, it is kind of weird that these are the types of staffs that typically get pilfered, when their formula is pretty much "acquire more talent and assert dominance."

I mean, I say that not really having any idea what type of system McClendon would want to run. I know he did have some success at SC and then struggled toward the end.

It's just the Capel analogy that worries me. He had some success and some lack thereof, and everyone said he learned so much under K and would be a great recruiter. Well, at least for the first few years it seemed he learned how to roll the ball out and win with more talent at Duke, and he learned how easy it was to recruit when you have the big D at center court. Obviously he's turned things around a bit and adjusted his approach, but we can't afford that learning curve in football.
Capel at least has his prior success as a head coach. This guy has never even been a playcaller.

Tbh, the "good recruiter" part means less and less each year, imo. It's becoming more & more transactional each year. I would say many, if not most high school signees have very little intention of remaining with one school throughout their college career.
I'm not sure I agree with that. The "good recruiter" is necessary to get your foot into the door, although it's true that the transaction is needed to close the deal. You still have to get into the kid's living room, though.

I'm not sure I agree with that. The "good recruiter" is necessary to get your foot into the door, although it's true that the transaction is needed to close the deal. You still have to get into the kid's living room, though.
"Get into the kid's living room" was recruiting 30 years ago, the recruiting process has been sped up so much that you really need good to elite recruiters to compete.

Capel at least has his prior success as a head coach. This guy has never even been a playcaller.

He didn't call plays at SC? He'd probably be off the table, then, with us having a self-proclaimed 85% defensive coach. We need someone who can develop QBs, implement a system, call plays... basically a coach of the offense.

No thanks.

The 80% is already gathering.

im going to go out on a limb and predict whoever we hire, 80% of this board will say he sucks.

He didn't call plays at SC? He'd probably be off the table, then, with us having a self-proclaimed 85% defensive coach. We need someone who can develop QBs, implement a system, call plays... basically a coach of the offense.
McClendon was the playcaller at South Carolina. It’s honestly a pretty similar situation to Pitt with Narduzzi - Will Muschamp is basically “Narduzzi, but from the south.”

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
"Get into the kid's living room" was recruiting 30 years ago, the recruiting process has been sped up so much that you really need good to elite recruiters to compete.
Same difference, just using an expression that relates to my age. Point being, in order to make the transaction, you need to have a relationship first.

I can get behind the package deal of McCledon and Streeter. Not sure I'd be happy with either on their own.

Who really knows what's going on? I won't believe anything until it's announced.

Reactions: Silkky1982
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT