ADVERTISEMENT

Potentially Hiring Brandin Knight to replace Stallings, here me out

steel_curtain

All Conference
Nov 9, 2014
-This might sound crazy. Maybe really crazy. Maybe insane crazy.

1) Knight wanted the job
2) Pitt generally is notoriously full retard cheap. We could get Knight ridiculously cheap as the cheapest paid P5 Coach in the entire country and get him 2 upper end to potentially elite recruiting assistants while going full blown cheap on a new coach
3) Rutgers turnaround. This team is 10-3 this year and has a Top 15 National win. They also landed 2 Top 100 recruits the last 2 years. This is Rutgers we are talking about, a punching bag doormat.
4) Knight always loved Pitt. Pitt always loved Knight. He started everything off at Pitt as a player and he would have early support from the Pitt fanbase and I guarantee Knight brings more fans instantly then what Stallings is doing
5) NY and NJ are absolutely loaded with talent the next few years. If Knight can recruit at Rutgers, and is half the recruiter he claimed to be while saying Dixon got in the way of Pitt bringing in better players, he could potentially bring talent in here. The East is flat out loaded with talent the next few classes

-Lastly, this is a huge gamble, but it could possibly not sound so crazy and get us out of the entire buyout mess. The fanbase would immediately support him. He's only 36. And he's passionate about basketball, passionate about Pitt, and winning.

-After thinking about this, I dont think its all that crazy. The gamble could pay off if he could land us some talent that is insane massive coming out of the East the next few recruiting classes. And we have a full roster to rebuild with plenty of open playing time.

-Any thoughts on this move? Im actually thinking about it, and, possibly liking it....

We are going to need an experienced head coach to raise us up out of this mess. I love BK but we just cannot afford to continue to be spiraling down with this coach now and then wait for BK to learn how to be a head coach at Pitt. We are really for many reasons in a very bad spot with our basketball program and I don't see things turning around in the near future.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
I don’t know why an elite recruiter would want to work under Knight. A truly elite recruiter would be more qualified for the job than Knight is.

-We need someone that can recruit and bring the fanbase back.

-Its not like Knight is so under qualified. He's been an assistant Coach for 10 years, under 2 teams that were 1 Seeds. And Rutgers is turning around. RUTGERS!!! I cant believe I just typed that. This team won 7 games when Knight joined them. 7. They were on our level. Rutgers head Coach is from Stony Brook.

-When Jamie Dixon got the Pitt job, he was 38 years old. Dixon was an assistant Coach at a Power 5 School for a total of 4 years before getting promoted to Pitt's new head Coaching job and those 4 years were at Pitt, with Zero head Coaching experience prior. That was a huge gamble hire then, beyond huge. And it paid off. And Dixon had zero East Coast ties at that point.

-At this point, Knight is far more qualified then what Dixon was when he took over Pitt. Think about that. Dixon had zero prior track record of even being able to recruit and zero head coaching experience. At least Knight is an established recruiter and an established assistant coach.

-Its not like Knight is so under qualified. He's been an assistant Coach for 10 years, under 2 teams that were 1 Seeds. And Rutgers is turning around. RUTGERS!!! I cant believe I just typed that. This team won 7 games when Knight joined them. 7. They were on our level. Rutgers head Coach is from Stony Brook.

Rutgers 10-3 record is basically meaningless. Great win over Seton Hall to be sure, but their 2nd best win is either Bryant or Fordham. Let’s revisit how Rutgers is doing a month or so from now.

Rutgers' record is mostly a mirage. Yeah, they have that one good win against Seton Hall. Their other wins are CCNY, Central Connecticut, Cleveland State, Coppin State, Bryant, East Carolina, NJIT, Fairleigh Dickinson and Fordham. We laugh at Duquesne, and yet they are probably better than every one of those teams.

Reactions: eastcoasthoops
Rutgers' record is mostly a mirage. Yeah, they have that one good win against Seton Hall. Their other wins are CCNY, Central Connecticut, Cleveland State, Coppin State, Bryant, East Carolina, NJIT, Fairleigh Dickinson and Fordham. We laugh at Duquesne, and yet they are probably better than every one of those teams.

-You have any Coaching ideas? Im trying to find someone with deep Ny / NJ ties. Hurley would kill it at Pitt if he came here recruiting the East. But Im trying to be realistic while understand with a buyout we more than likely are going cheap, real cheap.

-When Jamie Dixon got the Pitt job, he was 38 years old. Dixon was an assistant Coach at a Power 5 School for a total of 4 years before getting promoted to Pitt's new head Coaching job and those 4 years were at Pitt, with Zero head Coaching experience prior. That was a huge gamble hire then, beyond huge. And it paid off. And Dixon had zero East Coast ties at that point.

-At this point, Knight is far more qualified then what Dixon was when he took over Pitt. Think about that. Dixon had zero prior track record of even being able to recruit and zero head coaching experience. At least Knight is an established recruiter and an established assistant coach.
Dixon took over the program from Howland, which he was already a part of. He didn't have to build a thing, just keep it rolling, which he did. If Pitt can't afford to eat Stallings contract, and pay big money for a coach, they can steal Andy Toole from RMU. Brandin can then replace Toole at RMU, where he can prove himself on a smaller stage.

Dixon took over the program from Howland, which he was already a part of. He didn't have to build a thing, just keep it rolling, which he did. If Pitt can't afford to eat Stallings contract, and pay big money for a coach, they can steal Andy Toole from RMU. Brandin can then replace Toole at RMU, where he can prove himself on a smaller stage.

-No thanks. I dont take coaches that win 10 games a year after having 8 years to build something. There is a difference between gambling on an assistant and being silly.

I don’t know where you’ve been the past 6-9 months, but can you please go back there?

-Why, most of the Coaches this board was chiming for the last time around suck. The midmajor guys I and a few others were touting are outperforming the others.

-Give me some names of coaches. Not a guy that won 10 games at Robert Morris last year.

-Every former Pitt player endorsed Knight. I dont think its as crazy as it sounds, since Knight recruited a lot of them.

-I still remember the Pitt papers dumping all over the Dixon hire when Howland left. The egg on their face hasnt been removed yet.

What did Dixon's team show the last few years that would lead you to believe anyone on his staff would have been a good replacement? That was my biggest complaint with him. The quality of staff he had when he first started vs what he had when he left was night (no pun intended) and day.

Reactions: Jim Z
-You have any Coaching ideas? Im trying to find someone with deep Ny / NJ ties. Hurley would kill it at Pitt if he came here recruiting the East. But Im trying to be realistic while understand with a buyout we more than likely are going cheap, real cheap.

Honestly it's not worth worrying about at this point because if you really want to be realistic we aren't going to be needing a coach in the near future.

Speaking of Stony Brook, they just beat Rutgers on the road tonight. Rutgers still has a long long way to go.

1) Knight wanted the job
2) Pitt generally is notoriously full retard cheap. We could get Knight ridiculously cheap as the cheapest paid P5 Coach in the entire country and get him 2 upper end to potentially elite recruiting assistants while going full blown cheap on a new coach
3) Rutgers turnaround. This team is 10-3 this year and has a Top 15 National win. They also landed 2 Top 100 recruits the last 2 years. This is Rutgers we are talking about, a punching bag doormat.
4) Knight always loved Pitt. Pitt always loved Knight. He started everything off at Pitt as a player and he would have early support from the Pitt fanbase and I guarantee Knight brings more fans instantly then what Stallings is doing
5) NY and NJ are absolutely loaded with talent the next few years. If Knight can recruit at Rutgers, and is half the recruiter he claimed to be while saying Dixon got in the way of Pitt bringing in better players, he could potentially bring talent in here. The East is flat out loaded with talent the next few classes

-Lastly, this is a huge gamble, but it could possibly not sound so crazy and get us out of the entire buyout mess. The fanbase would immediately support him. He's only 36. And he's passionate about basketball, passionate about Pitt, and winning.

-After thinking about this, I dont think its all that crazy. The gamble could pay off if he could land us some talent that is insane massive coming out of the East the next few recruiting classes. And we have a full roster to rebuild with plenty of open playing time.

-Any thoughts on this move? Im actually thinking about it, and, possibly liking it....
He needs to prove himself as a head coach first. Fantasy and reality are different worlds. I like Brandin, but you are in fantasyland.

He needs to prove himself as a head coach first. Fantasy and reality are different worlds. I like Brandin, but you are in fantasyland.
-Perhaps. But I take risks and like risk. The Dixon hire originally was far greater than Knight. Nevertheless. Nice win tonight

What an unbelievable mush job you did on poor Rutgers. Back to back home losses to Stony Brook and Hartford.

What an unbelievable mush job you did on poor Rutgers. Back to back home losses to Stony Brook and Hartford.

-Knight doesnt Coach the team. They are still better than when he started there, when they had 6 or 7 wins for the entire season. They have more Top 100 recruits coming in the last 2 years then what Pitt has had in how many years counting now? 4? 5? Id have to look it up.

-Bad wins for sure. But they arent the 30 point loss auto-doormat anymore.

-Perhaps. But I take risks and like risk. The Dixon hire originally was far greater than Knight. Nevertheless. Nice win tonight

Dixon was a HUGE part of the turnaround of the Pitt program under Howland. He wasn't just some assistant that sat on the bench, like so many others we've come to know. The Dixon hire was not that much of a risk since he was running much of the coaching of the defense and other areas already and he knew the players and program inside and out. Right now, Knight doesn't have a clue about the Pitt program or the players and definitely doesn't know the players. Hiring him would be 10 times the risk or more than when we hired Dixon.

Dixon was a HUGE part of the turnaround of the Pitt program under Howland. He wasn't just some assistant that sat on the bench, like so many others we've come to know. The Dixon hire was not that much of a risk since he was running much of the coaching of the defense and other areas already and he knew the players and program inside and out. Right now, Knight doesn't have a clue about the Pitt program or the players and definitely doesn't know the players. Hiring him would be 10 times the risk or more than when we hired Dixon.

Should have hired him when Dixon left.

Let go of the past. . I am just so tired of the Jamie is God faction . Forget Jamie forget Brandin. Stay the course.

Reactions: Jim Z
Let go of the past. . I am just so tired of the Jamie is God faction . Forget Jamie forget Brandin. Stay the course.

Stay what course? The course to destruction?

I'm biding my time and am just going to enjoy watching these kids develop, regardless of W's and L's. Then when we hopefully get a real coach someday, he can take over and bring us back to where we should be.

-Knight doesnt Coach the team. They are still better than when he started there, when they had 6 or 7 wins for the entire season. They have more Top 100 recruits coming in the last 2 years then what Pitt has had in how many years counting now? 4? 5? Id have to look it up.

-Bad wins for sure. But they arent the 30 point loss auto-doormat anymore.

So Knight is able to get Top 100 recruits to Rutgers as an assistant but was not able to get them to Pitt?

And hiring Dixon at the time and hiring Knight now are not even comparable. Dixon was a top assistant who played a huge role in turning a program from a doormat into a legit Top 15 type program.

Knight would be way more risky than Dixon hire was.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985

Yeah let’s just forget about the people who were behind turning this into a top-20 program for 12-15 years.

Pitt had the chance to hire him for a song and a dance and didn’t go down that path . Not being privy to behind the scene stuff he was the lead assistant when recruiting went to shit . Two things , one Pitt isn’t giving up on KS and hi$ contract anytime soon and two BK needs to prove himself at Rutgers to be a capable recruiter .

1) Knight wanted the job

Just "no"! Not qualified.

Knight would be losing his assss here and no signs of young talent on the team , least we have that now

I do wonder if BK had accepted CKS's offer to remain an asst coach at Pitt if the program would be further along in the rebuilding process.

I can’t believe this topic is even being discussed. I’m not happy that Stallings is the leader of our hoops program, but with Brandin Knight it would be a total mess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT