ADVERTISEMENT

Tiger Paul….

Pitt5593

Sophomore
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Quite a character. He loved Pitt. To fully understand Tiger, I think that you have to understand the state of Pittsburgh basketball in the 1950s and 1960s.

Duquesne was certainly a force in college basketball during this era. And I am talking on a national level. In the early 1950s, they won the NIT with a team coached by Dudey Moore and was lead on the court by Sihugo Green. At this time, I am told that most people considered the NIT a much more difficult tournament than the NCAA’s. The later 1950s featured a new coach by the name of Red Manning who was very successful. And all American by the name of Willie Somerset led the Dukes to several more NIT performances. I believe it this time Duquesne add a male cheerleader named Mossie Murphy who would in a small away, lead to the career of Tiger Paul.

We now enter the 1960s and the Civic Arena is built. State of the art. Big news. And Duquesne does not have a homecourt. Until now. Outside of the 1960 Pirates, Duquesne is big news in this town. Manning recruits the Nelson twins, Durham, Zopf, Mike and Moe Barr, Mickey Davis - it went on and on.

The Arena is packed. Enter the old cheerleader, Mossie Murphy. He would sit across from the student section at mid court. During timeouts, he would stand up, and with hand signals lead a very organized cheer I remember hearing the chorus which was “shoo shoo ra ra, shoo shoo ra ra!” I guarantee you that any Duquesne graduate of that era will recited to you upon demand. Lol. It was a lot of fun. Duquesne played their big games on Sunday afternoons at the Arena. Villanova with Howard Porter. The Bonnies with Bob Lanier. Detroit with Spencer Haywood. It went on and on, and the Dukes beat them all.

In the 1960’s, Bob Timmons with Brian Generalovich led the Panthers to an NCAA tournament berth but that success was short-lived. Buzz Ridl was hired in the late 1960’s that led to the Billy Knight era and the emergence of Tiger Paul.

I only know a few things about Tiger. First of all, he loved Pitt. He loved Pitt. He loved Pitt. He had a slight disability. I do not know the details. He always looked disheveled. There was a runway in front of the student section. Example: tight game in the second half, we are behind in making a run, the opposing coach calls a time out. Tiger starts running the length of the runway, arms flailing, jumping at the end. Then he would run down the other end doing the same thing, and he stopped. Arms pumping, he demanded LETS GO PITT from the students. He could blow the roof off the place.
Then Billy Knight was invented. Fun times at the Fieldhouse. Our brethren down fifth Avenue didn’t like us. They hated Tiger. Tiger was Pittsburgh.

I cannot remember how long Tiger was at the Fieldhouse. The Fan’s loved him. But as is the case, at the University of Pittsburgh, the administration often ruins a good thing. The cheerleaders complained that he was interfering with their performances. Other alumni had bitches and Tiger went the way of Sutherland, Majors, Sherill and Dixon.

Tiger eventually matriculated to Las Vegas with Tim Grgerich (sp??). He eventually passed in Las Vegas. God rest his soul.

All of the above was taken from my memory. I may have made a few minor mistakes, but the gist of the story that Tiger loved Pitt. LET’s GO PITT!!

Quite a character. He loved Pitt. To fully understand Tiger, I think that you have to understand the state of Pittsburgh basketball in the 1950s and 1960s.

Duquesne was certainly a force in college basketball during this era. And I am talking on a national level. In the early 1950s, they won the NIT with a team coached by Dudey Moore and was lead on the court by Sihugo Green. At this time, I am told that most people considered the NIT a much more difficult tournament than the NCAA’s. The later 1950s featured a new coach by the name of Red Manning who was very successful. And all American by the name of Willie Somerset led the Dukes to several more NIT performances. I believe it this time Duquesne add a male cheerleader named Mossie Murphy who would in a small away, lead to the career of Tiger Paul.

We now enter the 1960s and the Civic Arena is built. State of the art. Big news. And Duquesne does not have a homecourt. Until now. Outside of the 1960 Pirates, Duquesne is big news in this town. Manning recruits the Nelson twins, Durham, Zopf, Mike and Moe Barr, Mickey Davis - it went on and on.

The Arena is packed. Enter the old cheerleader, Mossie Murphy. He would sit across from the student section at mid court. During timeouts, he would stand up, and with hand signals lead a very organized cheer I remember hearing the chorus which was “shoo shoo ra ra, shoo shoo ra ra!” I guarantee you that any Duquesne graduate of that era will recited to you upon demand. Lol. It was a lot of fun. Duquesne played their big games on Sunday afternoons at the Arena. Villanova with Howard Porter. The Bonnies with Bob Lanier. Detroit with Spencer Haywood. It went on and on, and the Dukes beat them all.

In the 1960’s, Bob Timmons with Brian Generalovich led the Panthers to an NCAA tournament berth but that success was short-lived. Buzz Ridl was hired in the late 1960’s that led to the Billy Knight era and the emergence of Tiger Paul.

I only know a few things about Tiger. First of all, he loved Pitt. He loved Pitt. He loved Pitt. He had a slight disability. I do not know the details. He always looked disheveled. There was a runway in front of the student section. Example: tight game in the second half, we are behind in making a run, the opposing coach calls a time out. Tiger starts running the length of the runway, arms flailing, jumping at the end. Then he would run down the other end doing the same thing, and he stopped. Arms pumping, he demanded LETS GO PITT from the students. He could blow the roof off the place.
Then Billy Knight was invented. Fun times at the Fieldhouse. Our brethren down fifth Avenue didn’t like us. They hated Tiger. Tiger was Pittsburgh.

I cannot remember how long Tiger was at the Fieldhouse. The Fan’s loved him. But as is the case, at the University of Pittsburgh, the administration often ruins a good thing. The cheerleaders complained that he was interfering with their performances. Other alumni had bitches and Tiger went the way of Sutherland, Majors, Sherill and Dixon.

Tiger eventually matriculated to Las Vegas with Tim Grgerich (sp??). He eventually passed in Las Vegas. God rest his soul.

All of the above was taken from my memory. I may have made a few minor mistakes, but the gist of the story that Tiger loved Pitt. LET’s GO PITT!!
My father took me to all 3 of the Dukes games you mentioned above….Nova with Howard Porter, the Bonnies with Lanier and Detroit with Spencer Haywood. The Detroit game was on a weekday. Great atmosphere at the arena, and I believe the Dukes won all 3 games. Mossie and the Duquesne students were in peak form.

Amusing story…. My buddy and I were into hoops during that era, and the first uhf station in the Burg, channel 53, was being launched and was going to televise some Dukes games. The problem was one needed a special uhf antenna to watch the games…so my buddy and I decided to buy the antenna, and install it on the chimney of our house…. I didn’t, of course, tell my parents we were going to do this. So…..I’m in the house kitchen keeping my parents preoccupied the day of the secret installatio, and all of a sudden my dad barks” who in the hell is on our roof?” I fast talked my way through it and the rest is history. It all worked out fine, and we watched several Dukes games that season On channel 53.

My father took me to all 3 of the Dukes games you mentioned above….Nova with Howard Porter, the Bonnies with Lanier and Detroit with Spencer Haywood. The Detroit game was on a weekday. Great atmosphere at the arena, and I believe the Dukes won all 3 games. Mossie and the Duquesne students were in peak form.

Amusing story…. My buddy and I were into hoops during that era, and the first uhf station in the Burg, channel 53, was being launched and was going to televise some Dukes games. The problem was one needed a special uhf antenna to watch the games…so my buddy and I decided to buy the antenna, and install it on the chimney of our house…. I didn’t, of course, tell my parents we were going to do this. So…..I’m in the house kitchen keeping my parents preoccupied the day of the secret installatio, and all of a sudden my dad barks” who in the hell is on our roof?” I fast talked my way through it and the rest is history. It all worked out fine, and we watched several Dukes games that season On channel 53.
Duquesne was big time and KDKA carried their games. Lionel “Big Train” Billinsgy, Mickey Davis, the Iron Dukes…
I could easily get Duquesne games on the radio…WTAE in the daytime was iffy in Steubenville. My high school Steubenville Catholic did the shoo shoo rah rah cheer.
Thanks for the memories!

Duquesne was big time and KDKA carried their games. Lionel “Big Train” Billinsgy, Mickey Davis, the Iron Dukes…
I could easily get Duquesne games on the radio…WTAE in the daytime was iffy in Steubenville. My high school Steubenville Catholic did the shoo shoo rah rah cheer.
Thanks for the memories!
Don't forget the Nelson brothers in the 60s.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Curry Kirkpatrick, an excellent feature writer for Sports Iluustrated back in 1974, spent a few days in Pittsburgh prior to writing this superbly accurate article.

He attended practices and was given full access to the players and support staff (student managers, equipment managers, training staff, etc.).

From those conversations (not your typical intervews), Curry wove together a storyline that captured the essence of each individual player and coach mentioned in his article.

Thanks for posting this link again!

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Anyone remember the Dukes’ students who dressed upon in costumes ( sorta looked like KKK ) that
were at their games. I was at a game at the Civic arena and some Pitt students attacked them and
got a skirmish going.

Anyone remember the Dukes’ students who dressed upon in costumes ( sorta looked like KKK ) that
were at their games. I was at a game at the Civic arena and some Pitt students attacked them and
got a skirmish going.
The Shieks. They plucked the St Joe’s bird.

Reactions: Kaywood105
My dad was a Pitt grad and we went to a lot of Duquesne games at the Arena , never went to a Pitt game until I became a student .
The Dukes were the only game in town at that time .

Boy , could Pitt use the Nelson twins !

Reactions: jctrack and 303vND
As a geezer, I have to say thanks for those memories. The Civic Arena was a great venue for basketball. I recall seeing Duquesne on many a Sunday afternoon in winter. And in my memory, western PA produced some really great basketball talent back then.

I never saw Don Hennon, but listened to games on the radio and would have loved to have seen him in person. (I recall listening on the radio to Mike Ditka playing basketball, and he usually was in foul trouble 5 minutes into his playing time). You mentioned Willie Somerset, who I did see in person, and whose stats would have been even more lofty if there was a three point line back then. And imagine a high school team with both Somerset and Brian Generalovich on it.

Bill Zopf and Mickey Davis both played in the NBA, for the Bucks I recall. Midland had some power teans with Simmie Hill and Norm Van Lier. Schenley was a power too, with Ken Durett and supporting cast, Maurice Lucas, both before we enjoyed watching Dejuan Blair at Pitt. And I recall Ambridge having a state champ tandem of Dick DeVenzio and Denny Wuycik. Pittsburgh was a good basketball area - if you fielded a winner.

Speaking of the NIT, I was friends with some Duquesne players in the late 60's, and in one year, the Dukes received offers to play in both the NCAA and NIT. Red Manning held a team meeting to vote on it. My friend said afterwards, the choice was to play in the NCAA in Boise, Idaho. Or play in the NIT in New York City during St. Patricks day. That choice was an easy one - back then.

And one aside - I recall going to two Dapper Dan Roundball classics at the Arena in the late 60's. A friend and I sat in a row with what seemed like a busload of fans from Indiana. They were following their local high school phenom, who they assured us was the greatest high school player in the history of the sport. When the game started, their guy was decent, but he was on a US team with great players from all over the country. I think they were amazed at the talent from other parts of the land.

The Howland/Dixon years were special. Never thought I'd see Pitt mentioned as a top 10 team on a pretty regular basis. I hope I get to see that again some time. Thanks to the OP for bringing back some memories.

TigerPaulAuslander1974_Owlp14.jpg

Don't forget there was Panther Paul in the 1980s as well...through the early 90s I believe, sort of Tiger's successor.

Duquesne won the NIT in 1955. I see statements all the time about the NCAA vs NIT tournaments of that era.

In 1955, the NCAA had 16 teams. The NIT had 12.

Here's the Final AP poll for 1955 (released March 8th, the day the NCAA tourney started) and the respective tournaments these teams played in:

1. San Francisco (NCAA Champ, CBA [now WCC] Champ)
2. Kentucky (NCAA, SEC Champ)
3. La Salle (NCAA runner up, independent)
4. NC State (NCAA 3rd place, ACC Champ)
5. Iowa (NCAA 4th place, Big Ten Champ)
6. Duquesne (NIT Champ, indpendent)
7. Utah (NCAA, Skyline Champ)
8. Marquette (NCAA, independent)
9. Dayton (NIT, independent)
10. Oregon St (NCAA, Pac Champ)
11. Minnesota (no postseason)
12. Alabama (no postseason)
13. UCLA (no postseason)
14. George Washington (no postseason)
15. Colorado (NCAA, Big 7 Champ)
16. Tulsa (NCAA, Missouri Valley Co-Champ)
17. Vanderbilt (no postseason)
18. Illinois (no postseason)
19. WVU (NCAA, Southern Conference Champ)
20. St. Louis (NIT, Missouri Valley Co-Champ)

Judge for yourself how the NCAA and NIT tournament compared, and see if the notion of what "most people" thought still holds.

Last edited:
The below link is from an article about Tiger Paul that was written a few years ago. By the time I got into the sports book business he was long gone, but I knew a few people that had worked with him at various places. Guy was well known as quite the character and a lot of fun to be around.

Here is the first part of this story:

https://www.gamingtoday.com/news/tiger-paul-was-the-biggest-burgher-cheerleader/

Reactions: W1np1tt
Tiger paul was a paper boy. I think the cheerleader coach. Ran him off ( theresa nuzzo?)
Agree, but if memory serves, he also tried to squeeze the school to compensate him. He was legendary but at the time it appeared his shelf life was over.

I knew Tiger pretty well. My best friend was a high school star in the late 70’s. Pitt was recruiting him and both he and Tiger lived in the Highland Park area. Tiger befriended his family and was at his house a lot. Tiger was a good guy and was intelligent. In hindsight I think he was autistic. Tiger wanted to be a performer and my friends mother helped him put on a show at the old Holiday House one night.

Reactions: W1np1tt
I loved Tiger Paul and his enthusiasm for Pitt. Remember him at Fiztgerald getting the crowd going.

Speaking of the Fieldhouse, I used to play pickup games in Fitzgerald when I was a teenager - and loved Coach Gurg. He would always take time out to speak to us. But my all-time favorite was the Equipment Manager. - Mouse. After the big win against Cincy when Schooch hit that bomb - Mouse gave all of us Pitt socks.

As for Duquesne, my uncle worked at Duquesne and took us to all the Dukes games at the Civic Arena. Always loved the Steel Bowl - and as mentioned, I got to see "The Train", Rueben Montanez and Jose Champagne.."The Toast of The Town!".

But the only person my Uncle gushed over was this kid from Macon, Georgia. He came home and told me, my brothers and my uncles, that we have a freshman that's the fastest person I've seen with a basketball. Sad he was going to be special. That freshman...Norman Nixon. Soon to be known as "Stormin Norman Nixon".

Last edited:
The zoo is great , but could you imagine the place if Tiger Paul was still around doing his thing in front of the zoo ! It would be nuts !!

I feel a little sorry for the long term Pitt hoop fans that just missed him . Thinking about it puts a smile on your face .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT