ADVERTISEMENT

Prospective Staff Changes

rayrayH2P

Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2020
Pretty certain that staff changes are going to happen at seasons end. What do you anticipate the changes to be?

Offense:

Cignetti - gone
Borbely - gone
Powell - gone
Salem - reassign to ST and recruiting role
Underwood - keep

Defense:

Not sure if any changes need to be made but at some point, doesn’t Sanders replace Bates as DC?
I really like the makeup of the defensive staff but at some point someone is going to get poached away if there isn’t a promotion.

Never easy to discuss these type of changes but after a season like this, all bets are off.

Reactions: SteelCityChamps
It somewhat depends on what transpires the rest of the season. But most of the coaches should be fired from what we've seen so far. And Narduzzi is on a very short leash next year. Win a minimum of 9 games or you're fired.

Reactions: 303vND
It somewhat depends on what transpires the rest of the season. But most of the coaches should be fired from what we've seen so far. And Narduzzi is on a very short leash next year. Win a minimum of 9 games or you're fired.
LOL. Not a chance.

Yet another thread with a silly take.

I'm all for replacing Borbely. I'd accept an upgrade from Cignetti, though I have no idea who that might be since the offensive philosophy won't change.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
LOL. Not a chance.

Yet another thread with a silly take.

I'm all for replacing Borbely. I'd accept an upgrade from Cignetti, though I have no idea who that might be since the offensive philosophy won't change.

I didn't say this is what will happen. Rarely with Pitt does anything that should happen really happen. Especially lately. This team and the entire coaching staff aren't doing their jobs. They're being paid to do their jobs. What happens when you aren't doing your job repeatedly at work? That's what should happen to this coaching staff and players.

I include the players because all of them are professionals and getting paid now. They wanted NIL. It's time the players are held accountable for their failures.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to hoops season now. This football season is over.

Reactions: 303vND
I didn't say this is what will happen. Rarely with Pitt does anything that should happen really happen. Especially lately. This team and the entire coaching staff aren't doing their jobs. They're being paid to do their jobs. What happens when you aren't doing your job repeatedly at work? That's what should happen to this coaching staff and players.

I include the players because all of them are professionals and getting paid now. They wanted NIL. It's time the players are held accountable for their failures.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to hoops season now. This football season is over.
Putting Narduzzi on notice that a 9-win season next year is needed to keep his job is about as far from something "that should happen" as possible.

Putting Narduzzi on notice that a 9-win season next year is needed to keep his job is about as far from something "that should happen" as possible.

9 wins should have happened this year. And according to many Pitt fans, it was going to happen. LOL! I know Narduzzi getting 9 wins will never happen. He was lucky when it did happen a couple of years ago. It happened in spite of him. He's a 6, maybe 7 win coach.

So you're OK with letting Narduzzi get away with mediocrity or worse next year again? Maybe 6 wins? I'm big on accountability. When people get paid that kind of money, they need to produce. That includes the players. I don't have any sympathy for mediocrity and what used to be "student athletes". This is a business, nothing else. The game is their method of producing profits, that's all it is now.

I get that special teams needed fixed, but do we really want to move Tim Salem away from tight ends? He only coached special teams for a few years nearly 20 years ago and I think he’s done a solid job with tight ends throughout the years.

9 wins should have happened this year. And according to many Pitt fans, it was going to happen. LOL! I know Narduzzi getting 9 wins will never happen. He was lucky when it did happen a couple of years ago. It happened in spite of him. He's a 6, maybe 7 win coach.

So you're OK with letting Narduzzi get away with mediocrity or worse next year again? Maybe 6 wins? I'm big on accountability. When people get paid that kind of money, they need to produce. That includes the players. I don't have any sympathy for mediocrity and what used to be "student athletes". This is a business, nothing else. The game is their method of producing profits, that's all it is now.
Narduzzi is only making around $5 million. That's just proof Pitt operates on the cheap.

PN has more than one year lease. lay another one this then we talk.

let’s be honest, we are a 9-3 ceiling program. Our fan base is small, our local recruiting base has diminished and don’t get the best on that talent.

We would be throwing the dice on getting anyone better.

I love the defense philosophy. need to have a more explosive offense philosophy

let’s be honest, we are a 9-3 ceiling program. Our fan base is small, our local recruiting base has diminished and don’t get the best on that talent.

This

Absolutely 9 wins is their ceiling in any year. And that's with a lot of luck and some pushovers on the schedule.

I agree that changes should be made. I've been saying that at a minimum Cignetti and Borbely should go. The problem is that the guy who recruited these coaches in the first place will be making the new selections. Why should we believe that the new guys will be any better? Furthermore, Narduzzi will be trying to make new hires coming off a terrible year and a big question mark about his long-term future. What up-and-coming coach is going to want to cast their lot with PN? We're not likely to just throw money at the problem so that's no going to help. The program is in a bad spot with no clear cut path forward. But look on the bright side.....we have stability!

Cruzer

I think it's clear that the OC/QB and OL coaching positions are the obvious ones for off-season changes. Then I would expect one other. I'd learn toward WRs. If you're getting a new OC you want him to have his type of OL coach and a new WR could help as well.

The get rid of Cignetti crap is ridiculous.

If the offense keeps trending the way it is now and CV keeps progressing,it would be moronic to make a change.

If it implodes, then a change should probably be considered.

Last edited:

You're big on being a blow hard. How much are you going to pitch in to fire him?

Of course. You'll just complain and expect others to pick up the tab.

I've already picked up the tab many times over, unlike you. It's up to you kids to do your part now. Put your money where your big mouths are. It sounds like you're the freeloader type. Maybe a Gen Z who thinks it's everyone else's fault for your numerous mistakes.

It's all about priorities, buddy. They do change as you become wiser.

He won 9+ each of the past 2 years. Your inability to accurately cite history disqualifies you from firing Narduzzi, besides the fact you have no power to do so.

Reactions: 4upmc
He won 9+ each of the past 2 years. Your inability to accurately cite history disqualifies you from firing Narduzzi, besides the fact you have no power to do so.

Actually, he won 8 last year + an exhibition game win. His history is 5 - 8 wins. Look it up. He has been mediocre most years.

I never said I can fire Narduzzi. Nor do I care. I do have a small amount of power to get him canned by not going to games and not contributing to his train wreck. I know a lot of other former large donors who are doing the same. Maybe that will send a message to Lyke, but I doubt it.

Reactions: Jim Z and 303vND
Actually, he won 8 last year + an exhibition game win. His history is 5 - 8 wins. Look it up. He has been mediocre most years.

I never said I can fire Narduzzi. Nor do I care. I do have a small amount of power to get him canned by not going to games and not contributing to his train wreck. I know a lot of other former large donors who are doing the same. Maybe that will send a message to Lyke, but I doubt it.
Most successful Pitt coach since the glory days. He will turn it around. It's what he does.

8 wins at Pitt is a good season.

He won 9 games last year. That is the official record. You're just like SMF in ignoring the facts.

His history is 5-11 wins. Again, you misrepresent the facts.

He won 9 games last year. That is the official record. You're just like SMF in ignoring the facts.

His history is 5-11 wins. Again, you misrepresent the facts.

Read my lips. I don't care! I'm talking about a regular season record not including exhibition games. 2021 was an outlier. You can't put lipstick on this pig. What is it about Narduzzi that you think you have to defend him? He and his players are paid a lot of money to win games and they aren't doing it. THAT is a fact!

I'm not here to get into a pissing contest. This just isn't important enough to bother. Have a nice day.

Reactions: Jim Z
The get rid of Cignetti crap is ridiculous.

If the offense keeps trending the way it is now and CV keeps progressing,it would be moronic to make a change.

If it implodes, then a change should probably be considered.
This is the same thought process that has the Steelers in year 3 of Matt Canada and may lead to a new contract if they continue to trend up. Cignetti is a dime a dozen OC. They can hire anyone like him whenever they want. I'd rather see Pitt take a chance with an up-and-comer who can develop an explosive offense.

Reactions: cashisking884
This is the same thought process that has the Steelers in year 3 of Matt Canada and may lead to a new contract if they continue to trend up. Cignetti is a dime a dozen OC. They can hire anyone like him whenever they want. I'd rather see Pitt take a chance with an up-and-comer who can develop an explosive offense.
If the Steelers are winning, KP is completing somewhere around 68% for 250 per game, why shouldn't they bring him back?

Pitt's offense is built to be explosive. Believe it or not Pitt's offense ranks in the top 20 in yards per completion. That's fairly explosive considering the lack of explosive playmakers. Pitt's main issues offensively are QB play and the lack of a running game. QB is promising and has some potential. Receivers are much improved. Pitt desperately needs better backs.

If CV could scan a field & go through progressions, Pitt would have blown Saturday's game wide open in the first half. He's not there yet. Next year, he should be.

I've already picked up the tab many times over, unlike you. It's up to you kids to do your part now. Put your money where your big mouths are. It sounds like you're the freeloader type. Maybe a Gen Z who thinks it's everyone else's fault for your numerous mistakes.

It's all about priorities, buddy. They do change as you become wiser.
LOL. As per your posts, you're way off and have no idea what you're talking about. Just an old grump.

If the Steelers are winning, KP is completing somewhere around 68% for 250 per game, why shouldn't they bring him back?

Pitt's offense is built to be explosive. Believe it or not Pitt's offense ranks in the top 20 in yards per completion. That's fairly explosive considering the lack of explosive playmakers. Pitt's main issues offensively are QB play and the lack of a running game. QB is promising and has some potential. Receivers are much improved. Pitt desperately needs better backs.

If CV could scan a field & go through progressions, Pitt would have blown Saturday's game wide open in the first half. He's not there yet. Next year, he should be.
Is the goal to never have a losing season or to win a Super Bowl? The Steelers have zero chance of winning a title with this type of offense. The odds of winning a playoff game with this type of offense is slim. Pickett has yet to play a full good game in the NFL. It's arguably if he's even played a full good half in the NFL yet.

Cignetti has an average track record as an OC. I want Pitt to find a coordinator who can help elevate the program to push Pitt to a consistent tier-2 team in the ACC.

Is the goal to never have a losing season or to win a Super Bowl? The Steelers have zero chance of winning a title with this type of offense. The odds of winning a playoff game with this type of offense is slim. Pickett has yet to play a full good game in the NFL. It's arguably if he's even played a full good half in the NFL yet.

Cignetti has an average track record as an OC. I want Pitt to find a coordinator who can help elevate the program to push Pitt to a consistent tier-2 team in the ACC.
Consistent tier-2?

That's not going to hinge on a coordinator hire. That's going to mostly be determined by roster and roster make up. With the transfer portal working both ways and Pitt primarily a development program, they probably aren't going to be a lot of consistency.

Consistent tier-2?

That's not going to hinge on a coordinator hire. That's going to mostly be determined by roster and roster make up. With the transfer portal working both ways and Pitt primarily a development program, they probably aren't going to be a lot of consistency.
It's not about a coordinator in isolation, but how Narduzzi builds this team in the future. They need to do their best building a strong offense. That will allow Pitt to compete for league titles more often than a strong defense.

Read my lips. I don't care! I'm talking about a regular season record not including exhibition games. 2021 was an outlier. You can't put lipstick on this pig. What is it about Narduzzi that you think you have to defend him? He and his players are paid a lot of money to win games and they aren't doing it. THAT is a fact!

I'm not here to get into a pissing contest. This just isn't important enough to bother. Have a nice day.
You sure do post a lot for not caring.

You're just like SMF when you label things as "outliers". Guess what. It really happened. And Narduzzi coached them to those 11 wins and the ACC championship.

Reactions: 4upmc
You sure do post a lot for not caring.

You're just like SMF when you label things as "outliers". Guess what. It really happened. And Narduzzi coached them to those 11 wins and the ACC championship.
Agree.

Narduzzi made a mistake in hiring Watson. He corrected it.

Narduzzi made a mistake in hiring Cignetti. He will correct it.

We will return to what we were.

Absolutely 9 wins is their ceiling in any year. And that's with a lot of luck and some pushovers on the schedule.
So your position is 9 wins is both our ceiling and that our coach should be fired for not achieving it? Weird, wild stuff.

Reactions: NCPitt and TD_6082
He's 28th highest paid, Pitt isn't cheap. Donate something and maybe we can do better. At least we don't overpay for someone who can't win the big games every year.

Mary, I don’t believe Pitt is skimping on paying Narduzzi, or paying Capel, or probably the other HC for that matter. Pitt isn’t cheap in the “paying the HC” aspect. They likely even pay the coordinators fairly well too . And this is honestly always been true back to when I started following it. The HC is always well taken care of.

But we all know the issue has been the ‘dirty’ spending that Pitt won’t allow to be done by its boosters, at least not a beyond a fraction of what done at other programs.

The irony if not tragedy is that the sport went and legalized what was called cheating for all those years. But Pitt, still haunted by shenanigans within the booster club FORTY YEARS AGO, still is reluctant, which probably doesn’t even matter because it long chased away the really fervent boosters.

You’re likely to respond to that like many others here “good, Pitt has its priorities in place” or some such. That’s well and good but don’t expect any huge jumps in AD donations or booster spend when the university made it’s position on this abundantly clear since the late 1980s: “we pay the coaches, sometimes even obscenely well, to show our ‘commitment’. But we aren’t going spheres-in on allowing the buying of great players“

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT