ADVERTISEMENT

PSN: "Jeff Capel Has Pitt ‘Back...’"

Protes

All American
Mar 23, 2003
I guess Vukovcan didn't learn from @DT_PITT's declaration a couple of year's back. 😄😄

I guess Vukovcan didn't learn from @DT_PITT's declaration a couple of year's back. 😄😄

Urgghh!

• Haha
Reactions: Protes
Um no.

Back isn’t finishing 9th in a watered down ACC.

Back is protecting your home court. Beating ranked teams. Being in nearly every game.

Bad loss to Mizzou and Cuse x2 plus non competitive home games vs Duke & UNC

Um no.

Back is protecting your home court. Beating ranked teams. Being in nearly every game.

Season still ongoing. Also, dixons good teams even had wtf losses. Bucknell at home in 2005. Players and talent have evolved significantly in last 20 years so it’s harder to sustain. Making back to back tourneys would get them back in my opinion. But a little premature as usual for PS .

Yes, back to Dixon 2.
Nope. Better talent than Dixon 2. Coaching of this current team has improved. Unlike Capel's first couple teams, this team seems to get along well and plays as a team. Lowe and Bub, if we could keep them here 4 years, which everyone knows won't happen, would be the most talented and best set of guards to ever play here. The only thing missing from this team is a quality 5, but Dixon didn't have that either.
I am enjoying watching these kids and the program's arrow is pointing up. Anyone who is dissatisfied with the job Capel has done the last two years needs help. Dixon's last couple teams had a very limited ceiling and the recruiting was dying. In my opinion we have surpassed the level of Dixon 2. In fact, if we continue to improve, this team's ceiling is far above those last few Dixon led teams.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Um no.

And when did those losses occur? I didn't think so.

This Pitt team right now is playing at least as good as the best team in the ACC. And that could very likely be them.

Nope. Better talent than Dixon 2. Coaching of this current team has improved. Unlike Capel's first couple teams, this team seems to get along well and plays as a team. Lowe and Bub, if we could keep them here 4 years, which everyone knows won't happen, would be the most talented and best set of guards to ever play here. The only thing missing from this team is a quality 5, but Dixon didn't have that either.
I am enjoying watching these kids and the program's arrow is pointing up. Anyone who is dissatisfied with the job Capel has done the last two years needs help. Dixon's last couple teams had a very limited ceiling and the recruiting was dying. In my opinion we have surpassed the level of Dixon 2. In fact, if we continue to improve, this team's ceiling is far above those last few Dixon led teams.

I'd agree that overall talent has been better than Dixon 2. But Dixon coached his friggin ass off to get those misfits to the bubble. So to this point Dixon 2 and Capel 2 are producing the same bubble teams.

I'd agree that overall talent has been better than Dixon 2. But Dixon coached his friggin ass off to get those misfits to the bubble. So to this point Dixon 2 and Capel 2 are producing the same bubble teams.
I think you have to admit the ceiling of this year's team is much higher than any of Dixon 2. I say that not knowing how we will finish or if we will even make the tournament. I just know these freshmen, along with Hinson as the leader, and Ish off the bench can get even better. The key is the play we get from our two 5s. They get exposed when the opposing 5 is big and strong. Defend like we did tonight and we are dangerous as hell.

I think you have to admit the ceiling of this year's team is much higher than any of Dixon 2. I say that not knowing how we will finish or if we will even make the tournament. I just know these freshmen, along with Hinson as the leader, and Ish off the bench can get even better. The key is the play we get from our two 5s. They get exposed when the opposing 5 is big and strong. Defend like we did tonight and we are dangerous as hell.

Yes it is because we are more talented. Some of those Dixon 2 teams had no business even being on the bubble. No Center. Chris Jones and Cam Wright on the wings. No offense James Robinson. Dixon did a tremendous job getting those teams to the bubble. He was a really good coach. But he recruited poorly during those times so it took everything out of him to get those teams to the bubble. Looked like he was dying on the sidelines those years.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Yes it is because we are more talented. Some of those Dixon 2 teams had no business even being on the bubble. No Center. Chris Jones and Cam Wright on the wings. No offense James Robinson. Dixon did a tremendous job getting those teams to the bubble. He was a really good coach. But he recruited poorly during those times so it took everything out of him to get those teams to the bubble. Looked like he was dying on the sidelines those years.
Indeed. I remember, I think it was the NIT game against George Washington, I thought Jamie was going to have a complete meltdown. The team was playing so poorly and seemed disinterested.

As it stands this morning, 5th in the ACC.
I'm enjoying this very much, where they end up time will tell but damn I love the effort. Looking at the schedules, 3rd place is within reach and so is somewhere around 9th or 10th. Point being, the remaining games are very much meaningful.
Post season will determine if the ACC is watered down or not, I feel it is not but we'll see.

Pitt is playing well right now and has won 4 straight inc beating VA to stop their 23 home game winning streak! Let's enjoy the moment and see where we go!

H2P

Um no.

What a horrific take

Better than Young, Artis, Robinson, Cam Johnson, Adams, Jeter, etc.? Eh.

But no sense splitting hairs - I'd say Capel 4 (?) and Dixon 2 are pretty similar.

Better than Young, Artis, Robinson, Cam Johnson, Adams, Jeter, etc.? Eh.

But no sense splitting hairs - I'd say Capel 4 (?) and Dixon 2 are pretty similar.
I might have my years messed up but wasn’t Zanna and Patterson around with Artis, Young, Robinson, Adams, Cam, etc?

That’s actually a boatload of talent.

Now the 2016 Pitt team was a different story. That might have been Jamie’s best coaching job.

I might have my years messed up but wasn’t Zanna and Patterson around with Artis, Young, Robinson, Adams, Cam, etc?

It all blends together (did Gibbs overlap with any of those guys, too?), but there is some serious recency bias here (the premise in general - not saying with you). If the program keeps ascending we'll loom back at a team with 8 rotational players and 4 of them being Austin, GDG, Fede, and Jeffres and think we overachieved.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther

That’s actually a boatload of talent.

Now the 2016 Pitt team was a different story. That might have been Jamie’s best coaching job.
IMO 2013-14 was the last Great Dixon Team: Robinson, Cam Wright, Lamar Patterson who went on a heater that season, a freshman Michael Young and Talib Zanna, with a freshman Jamel Artis, Josh Newkirk, Chris Jones, and a non-suspended Durand Johnson off the bench. And Derrick Randall was even a solid player off the bench as the third 5 man in limited usage.

Indeed. I remember, I think it was the NIT game against George Washington, I thought Jamie was going to have a complete meltdown. The team was playing so poorly and seemed disinterested.

I was 1st row behind the bench for that GW game and yes, it certainly felt like Jamie was dying on the sidelines. I felt bad for him.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT