ADVERTISEMENT

PSU atmosphere thoughts

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
- First of all, for all the talk of on-campus stadiums, Beaver Stadium felt like anything but that. Maybe it was the way we came in off of 99, but I saw no part of the PSU campus and the only PSU building I saw was the Ag Arena. If you knew nothing about college football and were visiting Beaver Stadium from another country, I don't know how you'd even realize there was a college attached to the team. Its a big stadium in the middle of endless fields and farms. This may sound odd, but the closest thing I can think that it reminds me of is Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. And I say that because HR Stadium is a stadium on a giant plot of land completely surrounded by grass parking lots. You get off the exit and the stadium/parking lots are right there just like Beaver Stadium.

- Again, maybe its because of the way I came in, but the atmosphere around the stadium was nothing remotely close to Notre Dame or Clemson, or even Virginia Tech as those venues felt like true college football experiences. Penn State had the weird mix of like an NFL but played on a farm. But, I honestly couldn't have been less impressed. Now maybe if I came in a different way and walked through campus it would be different.

- The Penn State people were friendly. Now I was with my family so I didn't expect to be M-F'd but the majority seemed like normal, good people. And maybe it was just where I was sitting but I didn't encounter any rude, obnoxious PSU fans. Actually I thought most around us were too laid back. Maybe it was because I bought more expensive seats on the lower sidelines and those are the richer fans??? Not sure. A part of me thought that this was just truly another game for them because they didn't seem that into it.

- Overall, Beaver Stadium did not seem any louder than Clemson, VT (during their heyday), WVU, or even Heinz during the PSU game last year. The thing that I thought was pretty cool, though, was that every time Barkley got a little opening, the whole place grew in anticipation that he was going to the house and there was such disappointment when he only got 10 yards instead of 60.

- Maybe it was where I was sitting but the place seemed to lack the electricity. Maybe PSU fans were just expecting the W. Maybe it was the boring nature of the game, not sure, but it did not feel hostile or intimidating. Maybe I was just expecting it to be and my expectations were too high.

- They announced 110K but there were several hundred empty blue chairbacks in the lower upper deck endzone that stayed empty the whole game. Not sure what was up with that. Maybe expensive donor seats that they couldn't sell on a season ticket basis?

- I actively looked to see if I can see a black Penn State fan but I honestly did not see any.

- I'd estimate the Pitt crowd at 4000. 3000 in the upper endzone and 1000 bought through brokers scattered throughout the stadium. The nice thing about the throwback colors is most Pitt fans wore them and you can tell the Pitt section because of the royal blue and yellow.

- During one song they play, cant remember which one, they dub in James Franklin saying "dominate the state," but of course this game is just another game.

- They ran a commercial for the women's basketball team but not the men's team which might have a shot at the NCAAT this year.

- Joe Paterno got a loud cheer when they introduced a NC team and said it was coached by Joe Paterno.

- As expected Beaver Stadium is old and decrepid and lacks all types of amenities but the same goes for any college stadium I've been to.

- Overall, I was very disappointed in not just how the game went, but in every aspect of the experience. I wished it was louder, more hostile, more obnoxious, and wished I saw a whole lot more Pennsyltuckians. Full credit to PSU for getting 90K there most weeks and 110 there Saturday but when you have 700K alums and nothing to do within 2 hours, I'm not sure that is honestly very hard to do. But I felt their fans were pretty tame and lame. The coolest thing was during the timeouts during some songs they'd play the students would sing them.

- First of all, for all the talk of on-campus stadiums, Beaver Stadium felt like anything but that. Maybe it was the way we came in off of 99, but I saw no part of the PSU campus and the only PSU building I saw was the Ag Arena. If you knew nothing about college football and were visiting Beaver Stadium from another country, I don't know how you'd even realize there was a college attached to the team. Its a big stadium in the middle of endless fields and farms. This may sound odd, but the closest thing I can think that it reminds me of is Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. And I say that because HR Stadium is a stadium on a giant plot of land completely surrounded by grass parking lots. You get off the exit and the stadium/parking lots are right there just like Beaver Stadium.

- Again, maybe its because of the way I came in, but the atmosphere around the stadium was nothing remotely close to Notre Dame or Clemson, or even Virginia Tech as those venues felt like true college football experiences. Penn State had the weird mix of like an NFL but played on a farm. But, I honestly couldn't have been less impressed. Now maybe if I came in a different way and walked through campus it would be different.

- The Penn State people were friendly. Now I was with my family so I didn't expect to be M-F'd but the majority seemed like normal, good people. And maybe it was just where I was sitting but I didn't encounter any rude, obnoxious PSU fans. Actually I thought most around us were too laid back. Maybe it was because I bought more expensive seats on the lower sidelines and those are the richer fans??? Not sure. A part of me thought that this was just truly another game for them because they didn't seem that into it.

- Overall, Beaver Stadium did not seem any louder than Clemson, VT (during their heyday), WVU, or even Heinz during the PSU game last year. The thing that I thought was pretty cool, though, was that every time Barkley got a little opening, the whole place grew in anticipation that he was going to the house and there was such disappointment when he only got 10 yards instead of 60.

- Maybe it was where I was sitting but the place seemed to lack the electricity. Maybe PSU fans were just expecting the W. Maybe it was the boring nature of the game, not sure, but it did not feel hostile or intimidating. Maybe I was just expecting it to be and my expectations were too high.

- They announced 110K but there were several hundred empty blue chairbacks in the lower upper deck endzone that stayed empty the whole game. Not sure what was up with that. Maybe expensive donor seats that they couldn't sell on a season ticket basis?

- I actively looked to see if I can see a black Penn State fan but I honestly did not see any.

- I'd estimate the Pitt crowd at 4000. 3000 in the upper endzone and 1000 bought through brokers scattered throughout the stadium. The nice thing about the throwback colors is most Pitt fans wore them and you can tell the Pitt section because of the royal blue and yellow.

- During one song they play, cant remember which one, they dub in James Franklin saying "dominate the state," but of course this game is just another game.

- They ran a commercial for the women's basketball team but not the men's team which might have a shot at the NCAAT this year.

- Joe Paterno got a loud cheer when they introduced a NC team and said it was coached by Joe Paterno.

- As expected Beaver Stadium is old and decrepid and lacks all types of amenities but the same goes for any college stadium I've been to.

- Overall, I was very disappointed in not just how the game went, but in every aspect of the experience. I wished it was louder, more hostile, more obnoxious, and wished I saw a whole lot more Pennsyltuckians. Full credit to PSU for getting 90K there most weeks and 110 there Saturday but when you have 700K alums and nothing to do within 2 hours, I'm not sure that is honestly very hard to do. But I felt their fans were pretty tame and lame. The coolest thing was during the timeouts during some songs they'd play the students would sing them.
Well, I am glad you found the fans to be nice. I have never seen any PSU fan be a jerk at a tailgate or stadium to opposing fan....except for one time. And that was in 2002 when we played Nebraska. A young punk student took a red cowboy hat of a Nebraska fan.
I think for the most part the main reason we wanted to win Saturday was because of the way Dorsett acted after the game last year and the whole keychain deal by one of your coaches. Our team felt disrespected. Other than that I think a majority of PSU fans don't want to continue this series and I suspect won't be continued after the remaining two games. Good luck to your squad the rest of the way. Your coaches had a great gameplan put together on Saturday. They played very tough. I was glad both teams played and acted with good sportsmanship.

Reactions: step.eng69

"Richer"
"Pennsyltuckians"
"Good normal people"
"No black fans"

You can't help yourself can you?

Did you look for any swastikas and confederate flags?

A friend was at a mixed tailgate and said he and his wife (PSU alumna) had a good time. The next tailgate over started in with "$#it on Pitt!" chants once but they quickly stopped when by buddy's wife and her brothers walked over and told them to knock it off. My buddy wore a PSU jacket and hat because his PSU student, daughter bought it for him but a Pitt shirt was under it. He's a pretty quiet dude so I'm sure he didn't cheer at all but everyone in the stadium was fine aside from the usual good-natured ribbing. Same as last year.

They stayed in the Pitt hotel and he bumped into Narduzzi that morning and wished him luck and said he was actually a Pitt fan. Narduzzi pointed at his attire and started to lay into him pretty good. When my buddy told Duz why he just laughed and gave him a fist-bump. He also saw what appeared to be freshman players carrying the gear of the Srs. which was funny.

Agree with most of it. I also noticed the empty blue chair backs.....sold but no show?

I posted earlier, 90% classy, 10% jag offs. Biggest jags were the ones sitting in the Pitt section. One time almost came to blows. a few rows in front of us. Heard some crap walking on the street after the game.....mostly p*ssy type students who said stuff after they were about five feet past us. But overall no issues and some even approached at dinner and said nice game looking forward to next year.

Yeah it is an old style college stadium, reminiscent of Pitt stadium. Good and bad. You take things like spacious rest rooms, multiple concession stands and seatbacks for granted at Heinz field. But it does have atmosphere like Pitt stadium used to have. I'll refrain from starting a debate as to which is better.

Reactions: BBrown and Fk_Pitt

A couple of comments:

1. The stadium is on the easternmost part of campus. If you would have looked to the west across the street, you would have seen East Halls (dorms)- multiple high rise buildings. The baseball stadium and basketball arenas are directly across the street. The indoor sports complex is just down the street and the hockey arena is across the street from the basketball arena. Honestly, I have no idea how the only building you saw was the Ag Arena, which is smaller than every other building I mentioned. You must have driven in off of I-99, parked on the north end of the stadium (the Ag Arena is across the street from the north end) and never looked around.

2. Glad you didn't find our fans to be as obnoxious as you thought we'd be.

3. Announced attendance is always inflated because it includes tickets sold plus every single body in the building - staff, press, etc. No shows are still counted in the attendance.

4. The blue seats you saw in the "lower" upper tier in the south end zone connect to the Mt. Nittany Club. A lot of older alums will mill around both inside and outside during the game. About the only time it looks completely full is at kickoff and during dramatic moments of big games.

5. Regarding how loud the stadium is...it's louder than any other venue in the Big 10. Can't comment on the other stadiums you mentioned. I was not at Heinz last year but have been to many Steeler games there and never once did the noise level come close to what I've witnessed at Beaver Stadium.

6. The stadium is old and is in need of a lot of refurbishment. That will probably happen sometime in the next 10 years. Some renderings have been published and the preliminary plans resemble what Texas A&M did with Kyle Field.

7. Most of the fans are not "Pennsyltuckians"...why do you think the traffic is so horrendous on game day? We are traveling from Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington, NYC and all points in between. Yeah, there are locals that go to the games, but the vast majority of attendees are from places 3-4 hours away.

Hope you enjoyed your visit. Pitt played hard and was well prepared and coached. Good luck going forward.

7. Most of the fans are not "Pennsyltuckians"...why do you think the traffic is so horrendous on game day? We are traveling from Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington, NYC and all points in between. Yeah, there are locals that go to the games, but the vast majority of attendees are from places 3-4 hours away.

Hope you enjoyed your visit. Pitt played hard and was well prepared and coached. Good luck going forward.

You have to understand him and his politics. He thinks PSU fans are all gun-toting deplorables. Yet, he cites the huge alumni base. Does he think they all come from and reside in rural PA? PSU grads populate the northeast in a big way. And the large cities of the northeast have the same political ideology that he does truth be told. You and the rest of them are no different than he is...other than you all drink the blue and white kool-aid and it's clouded your mindset on a few things.

No way is that stadium louder than the horseshoe or big house... Heinz largest attendance is Pitt PSU 2016 the next largest was Pitt WVU 2002.... Steelers games don't sell as much because they don't typically do overflow once it's sold out

Reactions: Tuckabuckaway
No way is that stadium louder than the horseshoe or big house... Heinz largest attendance is Pitt PSU 2016 the next largest was Pitt WVU 2002.... Steelers games don't sell as much because they don't typically do overflow once it's sold out

Have you been to the shoe or the Big House? They are not louder than Beaver Stadium. The Big House is notoriously quiet due to the way it is constructed. It is a big bowl with gradually sloping seating that allows the noise to escape. Ask any Big 10 fan from any team which stadium is the loudest and they will tell you that it is Beaver Stadium.

You have to understand him and his politics. He thinks PSU fans are all gun-toting deplorables. Yet, he cites the huge alumni base. Does he think they all come from and reside in rural PA? PSU grads populate the northeast in a big way. And the large cities of the northeast have the same political ideology that he does truth be told. You and the rest of them are no different than he is...other than you all drink the blue and white kool-aid and it's clouded your mindset on a few things.

Now that you mention it, that may explain things. I was expecting maybe 70% civilized, 30% deplorables but with most of their fans coming from the big cities and not Pennsyltucky, perhaps why the crowd seemed to be regular, good people.

The loudest stadium I was ever in was 3 Rivers...without a doubt. Bowl shaped concrete and steel. Been to Michigan and Beaver and MI is much louder. Beaver is too open to keep noise in so the noise leaves...pretty simple.

To be fair, I've been to OSU/Mich and wasn't impressed with the noise level though it was when Michigan was 5-6. I think these noise levels we hear about are way overrated.

Have you been to the shoe or the Big House? They are not louder than Beaver Stadium. The Big House is notoriously quiet due to the way it is constructed. It is a big bowl with gradually sloping seating that allows the noise to escape. Ask any Big 10 fan from any team which stadium is the loudest and they will tell you that it is Beaver Stadium.

I have definitely heard that about Ann Arbor.

The loudest B1G stadium where I have seen a game, and it was not even close, was at Kinnick Stadium. I have been to the horseshoe, and perhaps Pitt was not in the game so the locals were quiet? Hail to Pitt!

And uglier.
But nothing $200M can't fix. If the previously rumored renovation to 97K (including many seat backs) goes thru, The Beav may become a pretty nice place for fans.

Big House is most overrated college football experience and stadium is not louder than PSU, having been to each several times. But both pale in comparison the experience of a Texas A&M home game - had great time watching Pitt win there back in the Larry Fitz days!

The Big House isn't even as loud as Heinz. Beaver Stadium isn't as loud as Steeler games but certainly louder than Pitt games. The Horseshoe, Beaver and Camp Randall are all loud. One isn't any louder than the other and they are no louder than VT and NC St. some may have slightly higher peaks or may sustain for slightly longer but its all the same and idiots claiming they are louder than so-and-so are just stroking themselves, which PSU people do constantly about everything under the sun which is why everyone hates them so much. Clemzin, LSU, Tennessee and a few others are a different animal. Older folks get weeded out because of the heat, so those places are filled with younger more energetic fans. One look at the geriatric wards in the PSU, OSU, ND, Mich stadiums tell you everything you need to know. A friend chatted with Larry Richart after they got back. Beaver was as loud as anywhere when the teams came out. It really impressed him. Once the game started though, it wasn't that bad and while they got very loud in big moments, even then, it wasn't anything worse than what they get in other places and certainly nothing resembling Death Valley.

The loudest B1G stadium where I have seen a game, and it was not even close, was at Kinnick Stadium. I have been to the horseshoe, and perhaps Pitt was not in the game so the locals were quiet? Hail to Pitt!

Hmmm. Never been but you may have a point. Iowa and Nebraska may be 1-2 but I've never been so I cant say. My OSU buddy has been to them all and he says PSU but its always a night game/white out when they play them.

Funny you felt this way as I had the exact opposite thoughts. Maybe it was the fact that I stayed overnight and attended a Co-team tailgate.

It was my first game at Beaver stadium and could not have had a better time (obvious the outcome of the game). I wish we could somehow find a way to get more students at a game - I think student sections really create the game experience in college football.

Reactions: step.eng69
The other noticeable thing is just how white the crowd is. It always sticks out just the lack of diversity in the crowd.

Reactions: RHS14
Yeah, student sections are key for northern stadiums. PSU has the largest student section in the country. Pitt had 10-12K for YSU last week. PSU has well more than twice the students though. It will never be close. They bus in kids from branch campuses. We bus kids in from Oakland. If we could get 15-20K students, Heinz would be like VT, which is a roughly 70K seat stadium that blows away most large stadiums including Beaver.

Then you've never been to the "Big House" it is notorious for being quiet. Mostly because of the way its built and the sound goes up and out. It was only until the last few years where they added a section that it helps to re-direct the sound. Its not even close to OSU or us in "loudness". I know you wont believe this PSU alum but ask some other B1G people who have been to Beaver Stadium and there is a reason its known as one of the loudest around.
I've been to a Steelers/Baltimore game at Heinz and its not nearly as loud as most PSU games and doesn't come close to what the 1st half was on Sat.

I've been to a Steelers/Baltimore game at Heinz and its not nearly as loud as most PSU games and doesn't come close to what the 1st half was on Sat.
I'm not arguing but I do find that hard to believe. That said, the Rooneys had an opportunity to build something special and they came up with a yellow mustard bowl with a construction style that lets noise escape from both ends? And let's not forget the riculous turf they used when the stadium first opened. Not even the great PSU grass experts could fix that debacle. At least that was eventually nixed.

Do you think every stadium has the same noise level every week for every opponent?

Catch a night game a Beaver stadium when we are playing a big time opponent like Ohio State or Michigan.

Do you think every stadium has the same noise level every week for every opponent?

Catch a night game a Beaver stadium when we are playing a big time opponent like Ohio State or Michigan.
Congrats to PSU fans, as the decibel level of their stadium defines them. I'll concede that Beaver stadium is the loudest stadium in the history of athletics. Let's hope that's the only thing related to your football program that defines you.

Have been told by multiple people that Kinnick Stadium by far the loudest stadium they've been to in the BIG.

Never really thought of PSU as a really loud stadium the times I've been there. Louder than average sure, but nothing on the level of LSU or Clemson though.

PSU = generic big college crowd. Nothing interesting or unique. Big is the only adjective that can describe it. Just like a McMansion in a trendy community built on the outskirts of Allegheny (or in my case Cuyahoga) County.

No way is that stadium louder than the horseshoe or big house...

I'll give you the Shoe. It's louder simply because it's more enclosed and the sound doesn't escape as easily.

However, Michigan is not very loud. It's a huge open bowl dug into the ground and there is a loud of lost noise from how it's designed. This isn't just my opinion, it's pretty generally accepted by everyone in the B1G.

For my vote, the best stadium in the B1G is Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. If you guys ever play a home and home with them or it Pitt is on a Bye week and you want to enjoy an amazing college football experience, go to Nebraska. Great fans, great atmosphere, and you want to talk about "nothing to do" around the school, Nebraska is a perfect example. People come from the Dakotas or Montana because the huskers are their team.

I'm a PSU season ticketholder and remarked to my brother on the walk to the stadium that despite the crowd, there wasn't as much of a buzz or energy like there is for a night game vs. OSU. I couldn't explain it because the lots were packed. He said maybe it was because the outcome wasn't really in doubt like it would be for a game between two ranked teams?

Edit: I realize that read as a swipe against Pitt. Just saying that while I think the crowd was juiced, I have heard it louder there myself particularly for the classic OSU / Michigan White Out games. Still had a great time and all interactions with Pitt fans were positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown and BlueLion
I have now seen away Pitt games in 10 different venues over the past decade.

Here's how I rank them in several categories:

Ingress/Egress - i.e. Ease of getting into and out of parking lots/areas

1. Duke
2. MSU
3. Louisville
4. WVU
5. PSU
6. Rutgers
7. NC State
8. Clemson
9. Virginia Tech
10. Navy

Tailgate/Pre-game Atmosphere

1. Navy
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Virginia Tech
5. PSU
6. MSU
7. Duke
8. Louisville
9. WVU
10. Rutgers

Campus Aesthetics

1. Duke
2. Navy
3. Notre Dame
4. Clemson
5. Virginia Tech
6. MSU
7. PSU
8. WVU
9. Louisville
10. Rutgers

Friendliness of opposing Fans

1. Navy
2. Clemson
3. Duke
4. MSU
5. Notre Dame
6. PSU
7. Virginia Tech
8. Louisville
9. Rutgers
10. WVU

Stadium - Sightlines, Seats, Scoreboards

1. Notre Dame
2. Rutgers
3. Louisville
4. WVU
5. Virginia Tech
6. Clemson
7. Navy
8. MSU
9. Duke
10. PSU

Stadium Atmosphere

1. Notre Dame
2. Clemson
3. Virginia Tech
4. PSU
5. WVU
6. Navy
7. Louisville
8. MSU
9. Duke
10. Rutgers

Concessions

1. Clemson
2. Louisville
3. Rutgers
4. Navy
5. WVU
6. Duke
7. Notre Dame
8. MSU
9. Virginia Tech
10. PSU

Intimidation Factor (noise, crowd, etc.)

1. Clemson
2. Virginia Tech
3. WVU
4. Notre Dame
5. PSU
6. Louisville
7. MSU
8. Navy
9. Rutgers
10. Duke

Overall experience (would I take trip again)

1. Clemson
2. Notre Dame
3. Virginia Tech
4. Navy
5. MSU
6. Duke
7. Louisville
8. PSU
9. Rutgers
10. WVU

I'll give you the Shoe. It's louder simply because it's more enclosed and the sound doesn't escape as easily.

However, Michigan is not very loud. It's a huge open bowl dug into the ground and there is a loud of lost noise from how it's designed. This isn't just my opinion, it's pretty generally accepted by everyone in the B1G.

For my vote, the best stadium in the B1G is Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. If you guys ever play a home and home with them or it Pitt is on a Bye week and you want to enjoy an amazing college football experience, go to Nebraska. Great fans, great atmosphere, and you want to talk about "nothing to do" around the school, Nebraska is a perfect example. People come from the Dakotas or Montana because the huskers are their team.

We did have a home/home with them a few years back [prior to them joining the B1G]. Their fans are in deed some of the nicest I have met. And yes, there stadium is nice and louder than Beaver. But I still believe Kinnick is louder. I'm told that Wisconsin's is louder, but I have no personal knowledge since Pitt has not played there since I started following the Panthers. Hail to Pitt!

... growing up in Oakland I worked at Pitt Stadium as a teenager for both Pitt football and basketball - both of which were played in the stadium...
... there is no comparison between Pitt Stadium and Beaver Stadium with regard to each being part of the school's campus...
...the original Beaver Field was located adjacent to Rec Hall and the Nittany Lion Inn and seated less than 30,000 fans... 5 minutes walk from most campus dorms... when it needed an expansion they made a great decision and moved it down the road where there was room for expansion and - equally important - adequate parking for the more than 50,000 fans, many of whom drove from Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philadelphia and even New Jersey ... usually a 3 hour drive each way ...
... but students can still walk to the stadium in less than 15 minutes from even the farthest dorms...
.. by comparison Pitt Stadium was farther from the Cathedral and student housing in Oakland and required a steep trek up cardiac hill to the entrance and another jaunt up the ramps inside to get to the seats ...
...and the move to Heinz has been a disaster for student participation at the games...
...oh, well...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT