ADVERTISEMENT

PSU fan and I come in peace.... Have a question for you guy's?

Dec 29, 2003
First off, I love the old school mustard helmets and wish you guy's would keep wearing them. Much like PSU, Bama', Texas, there are iconic uni's/helmets out there and I view these the same way. I was wondering if this was going to be the norm again or is Narduzzi going back to the gold? Also curious as to what you guy's preferred as well?

Rotation of old and new this season - Pitt will wear the retro look for two home games later this season. Likely going to the mustard/royal full time in the next season or two. Some Pitt fans wish the yellow was a bit more mustard and the blue a little more navy and less royal. Personally, the current colors for the home and road retro looks pops off the screen. I prefer it as is... What Pitt sported at PSU was best looking uniform they've sported in my lifetime. I was born in the mid-eighties.

Last edited:
Reactions: sherepower
Please do, they look so much better than the navy and gold. It's classic and sharp.
How do you feel about the PSU throwbacks with the helmet numbers and striped pants? Is the blue going to be lighter than what they have worn for the past 40 years?

How do you feel about the PSU throwbacks with the helmet numbers and striped pants? Is the blue going to be lighter than what they have worn for the past 40 years?

I don't believe the blue is going to change although going a little more "power" could be a cool touch. I know a lot of Penn State fans like the numbers on the helmet and want to see them come back. I for one do not. To me, Alabama is the iconic number-on-the-helmet team. While I recognize the history PSU has with the numbers, they haven't been worn since the mid/late 70's. The clean white sides of the helmet is what Penn State is known for, but I guess for 1 game it'll be interesting. The biggest change (and you might laugh) is that they'll be wearing white cleats. Penn State has always worn black shoes, at least in my lifetime.

Honestly, they should have worn them on Staurday. Throwback vs throwback. If some 60 year old woke up from a coma and watched the game, they'd have been awfully confused.

It will be interesting to see what we wear @ GeTech since they always wear whites at home.

95% of Pitt fans have been clamoring for a return to our circa 1980 uniforms for 20 years. We're almost there! I'd prefer those 1980 colors but honestly, the bright colors are OK with me. The bland current colors look pathetic and weak to me and the uniforms look busy with the strange font. If I could change one thing it would be to bring back helmet stickers.

Reactions: NittanyLogan'11
It will be interesting to see what we wear @ GeTech since they always wear whites at home.

95% of Pitt fans have been clamoring for a return to our circa 1980 uniforms for 20 years. We're almost there! I'd prefer those 1980 colors but honestly, the bright colors are OK with me. The bland current colors look pathetic and weak to me and the uniforms look busy with the strange font. If I could change one thing it would be to bring back helmet stickers.
image.jpg

12170977.jpeg

r960-n_5f942fbb9d4866d3ba32a1359ac25b73.jpg

september-2016-pitts-james-conner-the-university-of-north-carolina-picture-id615258652

Some of the away combos of the new look are pretty great to be honest, especially with the matte navy helmet. Pretty much all of the home combos suck because the blue home jersey looks far busier than the road white jersey. But, yeah, still none of 'em compare to what Pitt sported @ PSU last weekend or v. GT and Duke last season.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
In my opinion, only the bottom pic looks good. Any combo with white pants is garbage. Even as busy as those unis look to me, they seem off without the stripes on the pants.

Southern teams rarely wear home darks during the day for a reason. I wonder if Pitt takes southern heat into account? I also wonder if Navy tops and helmets vs royal blue tops and yellow helmets makes any difference in how hot the players get?

In my opinion, only the bottom pic looks good. Any combo with white pants is garbage. Even as busy as those unis look to me, they seem off without the stripes on the pants.
Fair. I only like the white pants away over the gold pants because PItt's gold pants look really odd. Almost light tan... Almost white even. My friend holds our season tickets. What's Pitt gonna wear v. Okie State. Pretty sure it's on the ticket.

Just about everyone feels this way, except the folks within Pitt's admin.
I feel that way. But, as I've said before, and it seems incredibly obvious, Pitt should do a bit of both. Royal blue matte helmet with mustard yellow Pitt script... Keep the grey facemask. Also, introduce royal blue pants with a mustard yellow stripe outlined in white and white pants with a blue stripe outlined in mustard yellow. And, a mustard yellow jersey with white numbers outlined in royal blue. Keep the numerals classic.

This is exactly what Clemson does with their look, logo and color combination. Allows the classic look to be there and the colors that pop to be there while also offering some nice variations of combinations. All of which would look pretty damn good. This seems so obvious to me it makes my head spin. It's what I thought Nike was going to do initially too.

Just about everyone feels this way, except the folks within Pitt's admin.

I assume Pitt fans knew you guys would be wearing those on Saturday? Seems like every Pitt fan I met was wearing old school colors. Or is that just what most people choose to wear regardless? I honestly had no idea, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Tickets for Pitt home games show the uniform combo that they will wear. Away tickets are printed and distributed by the home school I believe.

Apparently, not even the players new about the away throwbacks until the morning of the game. Although some seem to have heard that it was the throwbacks. They assumed PSU was doing a white-out and they would be wearing the home blues throwbacks. I guess they were hoping that there would be a nice buzz that would translate to a fast start. Oops! Not as bad as the return of the script against GaTech a few years ago!

I assume Pitt fans knew you guys would be wearing those on Saturday? Seems like every Pitt fan I met was wearing old school colors. Or is that just what most people choose to wear regardless? I honestly had no idea, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Of course, Pitt fans didn't know. Many were likely wearing the old school colors because they simply prefer them. Plenty of Pitt fans wear the current muted and boring colors, because that is what has been (still is?) primarily available in stores. Those colors don't stand out as much, which makes them more difficult to notice.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I don't believe the blue is going to change although going a little more "power" could be a cool touch. I know a lot of Penn State fans like the numbers on the helmet and want to see them come back. I for one do not. To me, Alabama is the iconic number-on-the-helmet team. While I recognize the history PSU has with the numbers, they haven't been worn since the mid/late 70's. The clean white sides of the helmet is what Penn State is known for, but I guess for 1 game it'll be interesting. The biggest change (and you might laugh) is that they'll be wearing white cleats. Penn State has always worn black shoes, at least in my lifetime.

Honestly, they should have worn them on Staurday. Throwback vs throwback. If some 60 year old woke up from a coma and watched the game, they'd have been awfully confused.
If you wanted to wear your "true" throwbacks, you'd be wearing pink 'n black. ;)

http://onwardstate.com/2014/12/04/its-time-for-penn-state-football-to-wear-pink-black-throwbacks/

Thanks! Helmet? I ask because Pitt's yet to wear that combo with the matte navy helmet.

Picture is of a gold helmet. Looks like the matte blue helmet is being worn for Rice, Virginia, and Miami. Miami and Virginia will go with all blue [monochrome look]. Rice will be the "gold" pants. UNC and NCState will be the throwbacks. Hail to Pitt!

Picture is of a gold helmet. Looks like the matte blue helmet is being worn for Rice, Virginia, and Miami. Miami and Virginia will go with all blue [monochrome look]. Rice will be the "gold" pants. UNC and NCState will be the throwbacks. Hail to Pitt!
Awesome. Thanks much!

Yeah. Simple gold stripe outlined in white would really improve the new look.

I feel that way. But, as I've said before, and it seems incredibly obvious, Pitt should do a bit of both. Royal blue matte helmet with mustard yellow Pitt script... Keep the grey facemask. Also, introduce royal blue pants with a mustard yellow stripe outlined in white and white pants with a blue stripe outlined in mustard yellow. And, a mustard yellow jersey with white numbers outlined in royal blue. Keep the numerals classic.

This is exactly what Clemson does with their look, logo and color combination. Allows the classic look to be there and the colors that pop to be there while also offering some nice variations of combinations. All of which would look pretty damn good. This seems so obvious to me it makes my head spin. It's what I thought Nike was going to do initially too.

First of all, in today's environment you'll probably see them try all of the above things.

However, I think you are most often going to see as alternates some all black uniforms with black matte helmets - along with blue numbers and script Pitt outlined in yellow, things like that.

We will probably also see a white Pitt helmet with white pants. I think that will look better than royal blue pants.

I know people liked how the vibrant colors "popped off the screen" on Saturday but I keep trying to tell people that's a bad long term plan because those colors will quickly get old. They should definitely darken both the blue and gold. That would give it some longevity. Trust me on that one.

If they go for the cheap "Oregon route" they will regret it for a long time. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to correct a long time wrong. They should not blow this opportunity because it will not come back around again.

First of all, in today's environment you'll probably see them try all of the above things.

However, I think you are most often going to see as alternates some all black uniforms with black matte helmets - along with blue numbers and script Pitt outlined in yellow, things like that.

We will probably also see a white Pitt helmet with white pants. I think that will look better than royal blue pants.

I know people liked how the vibrant colors "popped off the screen" on Saturday but I keep trying to tell people that's a bad long term plan because those colors will quickly get old. They should definitely darken both the blue and gold. That would give it some longevity. Trust me on that one.

If they go for the cheap "Oregon route" they will regret it for a long time. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to correct a long time wrong. They should not blow this opportunity because it will not come back around again.
I meant, I prefer the shades that were along sidelines. Somewhat more muted. But, seems weird that Nike would rework the retro uniforms that they literally just debuted last year and this year.
maxresdefault.jpg

Not sure what you mean when you reference Oregon in a discussion about Pitt's current retro look. Unless you mean, if Pitt simply switched full time to the current retro home and away, it would looks like Oregon's retro look? Oregon's retro look is great. If it wasn't for Nike dumping cash on that program, that's easily the look the Oregon should go with. And, in some ways, it mirrors Pitt's current retro look but it's not as good.

My idea was simply more uniform combinations with the source being Pitt's current throwback color scheme. Just two more options of pants (white with blue stripe, blue with gold stripe) and an additional jersey (gold with white numerals outlined in blue)... Exactly as Pitt did in Narduzzi's first season with the current bland colors but with the addition of matte royal blue helmet. Those looked awkward with Pitt's light tan gold and borderline black navy but would look great with the throwback shades of blue and gold worn @ PSU last season v. GT. It would be a great tribute to the old with the modern edge of allowing a number so simple, sharp combinations.

Oregon's throwback look...
image06.png

Last edited:

I am not as misty about the older style as others. Now, up until last year what was being used was pretty god darned bland, non-descript.

But, as you highlighted in their post with the pics, a few of the versions they designed for last year were pretty darn sharp.

It is 2017, use the more modern uniforms most times, bust out the classics like they just did, for big games to get everyone jazzed up.

It is 2017, use the more modern uniforms most times, bust out the classics like they just did, for big games to get everyone jazzed up.

I disagree. The current colors are honestly just too bland. I think modern twist is what I explained earlier. Not sticking with just the current home and away throwbacks but, instead, as I posted above using current throwback color scheme but...

Just add two more options of pants (white with blue stripe/gold outline, blue with gold stripe/white outline) and an additional jersey (gold with white numerals outlined in blue). Exactly as Pitt did in Narduzzi's first season with the current bland colors but with the addition of matte royal blue helmet. Those looked awkward with Pitt's light tan gold and borderline black navy but would look great with the throwback shades of blue and gold worn @ PSU last season v. GT. It would be a great tribute to the old with the modern edge of allowing a number so simple, sharp combinations.

if that's not enough. I know Nike is the process of designing a new Panther logo. So, on the matte royal blue helmet, Pitt could potentially sport something like the Panther head below in mustard yellow on the matte royal helmet as an alternate option. Then, they'd only sport the Pitt script on the classic helmet.

pitt_cv11.png

Last edited:
Going to random uniforms is the absolute worst thing they should do

... which means they are going to do it, of course. It will make their colors and uniforms even more confusing.

Pitt has had the answer for years now (two answers actually) and has pretty much refused to go with common sense.

Now that Heinz Field is getting older, they can no longer talk about how great it is to play in a nice new NFL stadium, and will need to go back to the retro uniforms full time to keep the fans on the hook... until the next thing they come up with. Then once that gets old, they will make some sort of change, and then another, and then another.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT