ADVERTISEMENT

PSU fan and I come in peace.... Have a question for you guy's?

I disagree. The current colors are honestly just too bland. I think modern twist is what I explained earlier. Not sticking with just the current home and away throwbacks but, instead, as I posted above using current throwback color scheme but...

Just add two more options of pants (white with blue stripe/gold outline, blue with gold stripe/white outline) and an additional jersey (gold with white numerals outlined in blue). Exactly as Pitt did in Narduzzi's first season with the current bland colors but with the addition of matte royal blue helmet. Those looked awkward with Pitt's light tan gold and borderline black navy but would look great with the throwback shades of blue and gold worn @ PSU last season v. GT. It would be a great tribute to the old with the modern edge of allowing a number so simple, sharp combinations.

if that's not enough. I know Nike is the process of designing a new Panther logo. So, on the matte royal blue helmet, Pitt could potentially sport something like the Panther head below in mustard yellow on the matte royal helmet as an alternate option. Then, they'd only sport the Pitt script on the classic helmet.

pitt_cv11.png

I like a lot of what you're saying but I don't think that real rich royal blue is going to look great on a matte helmet.

Those types of helmets typically look best with really dark colors like hunter green, navy blue, black, etc. I've seen teams try it with red, royal blue, Vegas gold, etc. They don't ever look very nice.

Now, they probably will do a royal blue helmet as an alternative to the yellow helmet, but it'll probably look like what Duke typically wears – a high-gloss blue. Honestly, it will probably look pretty nice. I like Duke's blue helmets a lot.

However, if we are going to do a matte finish, I would suggest we do it in black with a blue script Pitt trimmed in gold and white. That would look very, very nice.

Honestly, this is also why I favor the darker blue and mustard gold over the brighter colors.

I think it lends itself to many more combinations than does the bright blue and bright yellow. I know I am beating a dead horse here but I am certain that I'm right and I would just like to see Pitt avoid making amateurish branding mistakes for the 10,000 time in my lifetime.

The brighter colors will look great at first and everyone will be all jazzed up. However, it's just a sugar high. Soon, people will get tired of them and we will be almost back to square one. That's not what I want. I want this change to be something that is sustainable and unites the entire fan base – which is something we desperately need.

Going back to the Alex Van Pelt era Pitt uniforms is not the right approach. They are an improvement over the boring garbage we have been wearing for a long time, but they are not good enough.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Going to random uniforms is the absolute worst thing they should do

... which means they are going to do it, of course. It will make their colors and uniforms even more confusing.

Pitt has had the answer for years now (two answers actually) and has pretty much refused to go with common sense.

Now that Heinz Field is getting older, they can no longer talk about how great it is to play in a nice new NFL stadium, and will need to go back to the retro uniforms full time to keep the fans on the hook... until the next thing they come up with. Then once that gets old, they will make some sort of change, and then another, and then another.
Pretty much on the mark!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT