ADVERTISEMENT

Pulisic at Chelsea

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
With Tuchel sacked and Graham Potter coming in, here’s a good summary of what it could mean for CP10.

It is no secret that Christian Pulisic fell out of favour under Tuchel, in quite bizarre fashion.
The American was often granted a run of games before being left out of the team for weeks at a time, despite sharing a strong relationship with Tuchel at Borussia Dortmund.

The 22-year-old's dad took to social media back in May to reveal his frustration.
He wrote: "The sad thing is he loves this club, teammates, and London.… puts his heart and soul into being a pro. Onwards and upwards my boy… big 6 months ahead."

However, Pulisic remained a Chelsea player this summer despite interest from the likes of Manchester United and Newcastle.
He is yet to start this season, with Hakim Ziyechhanded a place in the starting XI ahead of him, but his fortunes could be about to change under Potter.
The Englishman is likely to deploy a forward to play off the striker, where Pulisic could thrive.
He has been used in this role for the USMNT in the past and could use his experience to earn his place back in the team.
Alternatively, he could be used behind a front two or even on the left as Potter looks to find the best fit for his system at Chelsea.
The 47-year-old has a degree in Leadership and Emotional Intelligence and maybe all that Pulisicneeds is an arm around his shoulder and somebody to trust him and allow the winger to play with freedom.

the last line was profound because I just tweeted on my burner this AM that CP did not have the freedom to play his game under Tuchel. Tuchel completely took that away from him. Let’s see if he gets some of it back.

I hope this works for him. With MU spending so much on Anthony and others not sure there was room there.

I hope this works for him. With MU spending so much on Anthony and others not sure there was room there.
Another thing you’ll be interested in…this could mean a return for Lukaku if Potters system suits him. Lol.

Another thing you’ll be interested in…this could mean a return for Lukaku if Potters system suits him. Lol.
That would be interesting for sure. Not sure how much career Lukaku still has, he carries a lot of weight and that causes much wear. We will see how he performs this World Cup and how he does in Italy now.

Interesting stuff here. Being a chelsea fan, I haven’t missed a minute of their games in years. So when I said above that Pulisic didn’t see to have the freedom under Tuchel, it was just my observation from watching as intimately as I have.

so here’s an excerpt from Pulisic’s upcoming book that kind of supports that. Here’s an example of the biggest goal in his career, but he didn’t do what his coach wanted him to.

And of course, he runs right by tuchel after scoring it

And of course, he runs right by tuchel after scoring it

He runs right past him to give someone who I assume is an assistant a big hug. That's really funny.

Of course that may also be why, even though as the announcers noted it was his fourth goal in six matches, he pretty much stopped being a regular after that.

He runs right past him to give someone who I assume is an assistant a big hug. That's really funny.

Of course that may also be why, even though as the announcers noted it was his fourth goal in six matches, he pretty much stopped being a regular after that.
Yeah I mean, I saw that goal live, and I’ve seen it a hundred times over the past 1.5 years, and I always just assumed it was something off the training ground that the coach had been working on. But now there’s some added context that makes you wonder.

working off memory here…

he didn’t start the 2nd leg vs Madrid but came on and assisted brilliantly on a mount goal.

champions league final- came on as a reserve and missed what was arguably a sitter that would have put them up 2-0 and they wouldn’t have had to sweat the last 15 minutes.

fall 2021, I honestly don’t remember how many starts he had in September, but that may have been when he got covid and missed a couple games and then in October he got that really bad injury in the concacaf match that put him out for a while.

then he comes back 6 weeks or so later and starts most games. But this is when Chelsea had all kinds of injuries and the Delta virus ran through the team. He was dependable as he started in multiple positions but wasn’t very productive. He’s not a wing back or a false 9 so he struggled to get on the score sheet. Admittedly he couldnt find his form in Nov/Dec.

Then around January 1 he scored a worldie in a draw vs Liverpool.

before and around the champions league Quarters vs Madrid, he had a run of starts. He was back in form again and was the Chelsea player selected to talk to the media along with Tuchel in the pre game lead up. He started the first leg vs Madrid and wasn’t good.

2nd leg vs Madrid he was back to a reserve again, came on late, and missed a half chance. Then he missed what appeared to be a sitter to seal the tie and help chelsea advance to the semi, but later some still pics surfaced that the Madrid defender got a foot out and made a game saving play to deflect the shot wide of the open net.

Pulisic never really saw the staring line up again the remainder of the season and hasn’t been at the start of this season.

Yeah I mean, I saw that goal live, and I’ve seen it a hundred times over the past 1.5 years, and I always just assumed it was something off the training ground that the coach had been working on. But now there’s some added context that makes you wonder.

working off memory here…

he didn’t start the 2nd leg vs Madrid but came on and assisted brilliantly on a mount goal.

champions league final- came on as a reserve and missed what was arguably a sitter that would have put them up 2-0 and they wouldn’t have had to sweat the last 15 minutes.

fall 2021, I honestly don’t remember how many starts he had in September, but that may have been when he got covid and missed a couple games and then in October he got that really bad injury in the concacaf match that put him out for a while.

then he comes back 6 weeks or so later and starts most games. But this is when Chelsea had all kinds of injuries and the Delta virus ran through the team. He was dependable as he started in multiple positions but wasn’t very productive. He’s not a wing back or a false 9 so he struggled to get on the score sheet. Admittedly he couldnt find his form in Nov/Dec.

Then around January 1 he scored a worldie in a draw vs Liverpool.

before and around the champions league Quarters vs Madrid, he had a run of starts. He was back in form again and was the Chelsea player selected to talk to the media along with Tuchel in the pre game lead up. He started the first leg vs Madrid and wasn’t good.

2nd leg vs Madrid he was back to a reserve again, came on late, and missed a half chance. Then he missed what appeared to be a sitter to seal the tie and help chelsea advance to the semi, but later some still pics surfaced that the Madrid defender got a foot out and made a game saving play to deflect the shot wide of the open net.

Pulisic never really saw the staring line up again the remainder of the season and hasn’t been at the start of this season.
I don't think I'd call the chance against City a sitter

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Did you see your two Chelsea boys crack some sweet goals in the Germany v England match? Both Havertz and Mount had fantastic goals. Havertz second goal was a gift. Mount came on as a sub and his one timer was a thing of beauty. Saka coming in as a sub was an absolute game changer for England. Kane’s PK was unreal.
Second half was so entertaining with nonstop action and chances. These games are what build excitement for the world Cup.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Did you see your two Chelsea boys crack some sweet goals in the Germany v England match? Both Havertz and Mount had fantastic goals. Havertz second goal was a gift. Mount came on as a sub and his one timer was a thing of beauty. Saka coming in as a sub was an absolute game changer for England. Kane’s PK was unreal.
Second half was so entertaining with nonstop action and chances. These games are what build excitement for the world Cup.
Yeah. Good stuff. Tuchel was cancer for the attack. Hopefully Christian can return to form now that tuchel is gone. Word is Juventus wants Pulisic and Chelsea might sell at 31 million. That’s quite a loss for what they paid for him. That’s on tuchel though.

how about this British blog called football London wrote an article off one quote from Gabriel Slolina (the Chicago USA goalkeeper that Chelsea bought) who said that Christian told him “hopefully we can play together”. The blog extrapolated that the word “hopefully”means that Christian knows he wants out and will be gone soon.

how is it that in journalism 1+1 can equal 15? How in the hell did they draw that conclusion ?

I think the key for Pulisic is minutes. He needs minutes and needs minutes where he can be effective. That’s it. He can do the rest and showcase how he impacts the game a full 90. But Chelsea let’s him sit and rot on the bench. New coaching has to think smarter and use players better.

Pulisic getting valuable 7 minutes of playing time plus added time. maybe he can impress the new boss in such short time.

It seems as if Chelsea would be better, maybe by a lot, if instead of Havertz and Mount playing 75-80 minutes and Pulisic and Gallagher playing 10-15 minutes that it was the other way around.

It seems as if Chelsea would be better, maybe by a lot, if instead of Havertz and Mount playing 75-80 minutes and Pulisic and Gallagher playing 10-15 minutes that it was the other way around.
Those are my two favorite chelsea players so it was nice to see that. Both will bet opportunities to play before the World Cup because the schedule is so busy.

the problem for the two is Pulisic is too similar to Sterling as a player, and Gallagher’s problem is that his best position is where Mount plays. So until those two are significantly out played by Christian and Conor, I don’t see them ever ascending to the regular first team.

it is pretty amazing though that with that one goal, Conor and Christian have equaled the seasonal output of Mount and Havertz.

all this said, Potters system right now looks like a 4-2-2-2. So where does Christian play. I personally don’t like him much playing centrally as an 8 or 10.

btw…@mike412 as you know I wasn’t crazy about the Aubamayang signing, but he scored a goal today that I haven’t seen a Chelsea #9 score since Diego Costa.

2 observations from today:

Chelsea scores in the wrong goal
Pulisic needs to have a great day at the office, his miss on that goal and getting beat on the own goal not a good look

Last edited:
2 observations from today:

Chelsea scores in the wrong goal
Pulisic needs to have a great day at the office, his miss on that goal and getting beat on the own goal not a good look
At one point, I thought a better performance by CP10, and Chelsea would have been up 2-1 instead of down 3-0 because of the two plays you mentioned. He needed to finish that goal, but it was like me on a golf course and he sliced it. The goal he got beat on was certainly partly his fault, but it was also and maybe more so on faulty tactics by the gaffer. CP10 and Sterling were playing too high up the field and their defensive responsibilities were sacrificed. It worked vs FC Salzburg in the Champions League during the week but they got punished in the Prem.

just a terrible team performance. I always look at the player ratings after the games from various sources. I never know what to expect. There’s times I expect Pulisic to get an 8, and someone will give him a 6 or 7. Yesterday everyone in the Chelsea squad had 4’s and 5’s. It was that kind of day. But Pulisic was given a 6. It’s bizarre to me because I’d have given him a 4. Kai Havertz was given the highest rating by virtue of his goal. But man, his goal was a header that he managed to put right at the keepers chest and he managed to mangle it somehow. I guess that’s what happens when you put your shot on frame, which is what CP failed to do.

chelsea are so banged up again with injuries. Without Kante and James, their two best players, they’re more like a mid table team. But those two guys hide Chelsea’s flaws more than anything. Chelsea just has no creators in the midfield. But I suppose I shouldn’t complain. We finished 1st in our group in Champions League and hopefully will be healthy when the knockout round begins. But finishing top 4 is gonna be tough this year.

At one point, I thought a better performance by CP10, and Chelsea would have been up 2-1 instead of down 3-0 because of the two plays you mentioned. He needed to finish that goal, but it was like me on a golf course and he sliced it. The goal he got beat on was certainly partly his fault, but it was also and maybe more so on faulty tactics by the gaffer. CP10 and Sterling were playing too high up the field and their defensive responsibilities were sacrificed. It worked vs FC Salzburg in the Champions League during the week but they got punished in the Prem.

just a terrible team performance. I always look at the player ratings after the games from various sources. I never know what to expect. There’s times I expect Pulisic to get an 8, and someone will give him a 6 or 7. Yesterday everyone in the Chelsea squad had 4’s and 5’s. It was that kind of day. But Pulisic was given a 6. It’s bizarre to me because I’d have given him a 4. Kai Havertz was given the highest rating by virtue of his goal. But man, his goal was a header that he managed to put right at the keepers chest and he managed to mangle it somehow. I guess that’s what happens when you put your shot on frame, which is what CP failed to do.

chelsea are so banged up again with injuries. Without Kante and James, their two best players, they’re more like a mid table team. But those two guys hide Chelsea’s flaws more than anything. Chelsea just has no creators in the midfield. But I suppose I shouldn’t complain. We finished 1st in our group in Champions League and hopefully will be healthy when the knockout round begins. But finishing top 4 is gonna be tough this year.
ManU is my favorite team, but I always watch Chelsea play. It just seemed like a very bizarre game where everything just went wrong. If CP scores that goal, everything changes, but luck was not on their side and as you said, poor tactics.

ManU is my favorite team, but I always watch Chelsea play. It just seemed like a very bizarre game where everything just went wrong. If CP scores that goal, everything changes, but luck was not on their side and as you said, poor tactics.
I also think they are locked into those tactics because of injuries. And Brighton just brought so much more energy that I wonder if the heavy World Cup schedule is going to make teams like Chelsea look this way some games. Chelsea should have the depth because they have spent a lot of money. But their signings have been wasted of money for some, or out injured with others. The only top club with the depth to play this condensed schedule is Man City.

I also think they are locked into those tactics because of injuries. And Brighton just brought so much more energy that I wonder if the heavy World Cup schedule is going to make teams like Chelsea look this way some games. Chelsea should have the depth because they have spent a lot of money. But their signings have been wasted of money for some, or out injured with others. The only top club with the depth to play this condensed schedule is Man City.
Speaking of Man City, did you catch De Bruyne’s goal?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT