ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Lane Bowl

Sep 30, 2004
I don’t recall a Pitt bowl game with less buzz, and that’s understandable for many reasons. That said, there is some importance to this game. First off, it would be a disaster to lose to a below average MAC team. It’s a must to get HCPN’s bowl record above the Blutarsky line where it currently stands. That record and multiple late season fades just have a bad look. If Pitt gets up on EMU, I sure hope the coaches abandon their MO of going ultra conservative to preserve a win. There has been little evidence they have the offensive fire power to do it, but if possible, they should pour on the points. Blowing out EMU in a third rate bowl game is not going to cause a run on season tickets, but it would provide a small shot in the arm for a program that sorely needs it.

I don’t recall a Pitt bowl game with less buzz, and that’s understandable for many reasons. That said, there is some importance to this game. First off, it would be a disaster to lose to a below average MAC team. It’s a must to get HCPN’s bowl record above the Blutarsky line where it currently stands. That record and multiple late season fades just have a bad look. If Pitt gets up on EMU, I sure hope the coaches abandon their MO of going ultra conservative to preserve a win. There has been little evidence they have the offensive fire power to do it, but if possible, they should pour on the points. Blowing out EMU in a third rate bowl game is not going to cause a run on season tickets, but it would provide a small shot in the arm for a program that sorely needs it.

If we beat EMU 45-0, it would mean nothing. They finished tied for last in the MAC West and are the worst bowl eligible team.

Give Patti and George some playing time in the 2nd half. I know we wont see Beville...

Reactions: NCLee
Not to sound like I’m talking this game up at all, but the 3rd Compass Bowl probably had the least buzz ever on the Pitt side. Hell even the 2nd one was probably worse than this. There was literal disgust amongst us Pitt fans about having to go play there again... and again.

This bowl is the classic "Nothing to gain and everything to lose" scenario. That said, you still must win in order to avert disaster.

Reactions: JED_72
Pitt's biggest wins this year were their two 10 point victories, besting Ohio and GT by identical scores of 20-10. I'd really like to see us win by more than 10, but the way this season went, I'll take any win we can get.

Reactions: California Panther
No Buzz for a Pitt game?

Haven't experienced this since listening to Johnny Sauer while at work...........

Reactions: Saboteur
The Pitt football team had better come out with more intensity than they did in the game against BC. Because we may end up seeing a game just like we did when we beat Delaware and perhaps losing this time around. If Pitt mails it in and loses Narduzzi may be hung in effigy at the Cathedral come Thursday eve.

Who cares Owtie about your football analysis. What did you think about the Irishman?
I mean, I didn't say it to be a dick or anything, but it is the truth. The only to gain from winning this game is avoiding ridicule, scorn and apoplectic message board over the next week. And also avoid dumping garbage on Narduzzi's lawn (not advocating this by the way).

As for the Irishman, well the subject matter was interesting to me so that helped, Pesci was great, I had a hard time dealing with "young" DeNiro and Pesci, think they should have went with younger actors for that part of the role and it was bit long.

Reactions: Panthers2015
Like I said when this bowl was announced...there is nothing but bad stuff that can happen coming out of this game.

Reactions: jctrack
Yes wife and I are both grads w/ season tx since we moved back to Pgh in the late 80s. If you struggle with following the team so much maybe you should take a break!

No. I follow Pitt and see 1 game on the road. Tough to support Pitt and their mediocrity. I spent a long weekend in Atlanta with family this year to see them play Ga. Tech, mainly because my son is in grad school there.

How about you? You a season ticket holder?

I hope we have the ability to play younger folks in the 2d half but why wouldn’t Beville see action?
He might...but hasnt he gone against the scout team all season, so he hasnt worked on our plays, but rather opposing teams' plays?

The most important thing for this team is to go into the game healthy, come out healthy, and actually play good football from start to finish.
Unfortunately, we haven’t been a very good bowl team under Narduzzi. There might be very little interest from the media and fans, but Narduzzi needs this win more than anyone else. He has got to show he can prepare this team over a big chunk of prep time. We show up flat, out of sync, sloppy, lots of penalties, weak offensively, and nothing on the scoreboard in the second half, his time just might be over sooner than he expected. Not to mention the level of respect as a program in the toilet.
At some point, the entire team both sides of the ball has to show improvements. Even in a meaningless bowl game.

Reactions: Saboteur
I'm thinking 8 or 9 as the weather will be unseasonably warm and the number of homeless sneak-ins will be down..

With the poor finish - Miami - ( coaching, team couldn't get it done), VT ( didn't show up), BC ( no effort), we got the bowl we deserve.

Maybe this will motivate the team that remains to work harder, coach harder, and simply get it done.

This could have been a great bowl with a 10-2 or 9-3 record.

I’ve said it before but really the only possible meaningful things coming out of the Quick Lane Bowl sponsored by Quick Lane Tire & Auto Center is that our guys show class, sportsmanship, and most importantly have fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT