ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P Jerry Cochran

• Thread starter anon_vmuicqnzlyp3u
  • Start date
Although at times we didn't see eye to eye, he truly had Pitt in his heart and did what he thought was best in Pitt's best interest. RIP Jerry
Really? Damn, he couldn’t have been that old. Never met the guy, but would hear of him/see him around when I worked on campus in school earlier this decade. Believe he only retired like 4 or so years ago?

Really? Damn, he couldn’t have been that old. Never met the guy, but would hear of him/see him around when I worked on campus in school earlier this decade. Believe he only retired like 4 or so years ago?
He was 69. Had pulmonary complications. In the post gazette

That maybe a grandfathered thing. My neighbor across the hall smokes in his room because it wasn’t against the lease when he moved in. Though I would never smoke in an apartment I do not get the option anyway.

Man had a major impact on nearly every facet of Pitt. Helped pull the university out of one of its institutional low points in the mid-90s.

\
lKhFHeOK.jpg

That maybe a grandfathered thing. My neighbor across the hall smokes in his room because it wasn’t against the lease when he moved in. Though I would never smoke in an apartment I do not get the option anyway.

Probably not. All Pitt buildings became smoke free. I remember one old research professor that used to stick his head under a fume hood in his lab and light up.

I had an old school Geometry teacher who’d light up in his room. He also drank an old school Coleman Thermos of coffee every day. Italian guy real nice dude

Had a major impact, but not always positive in certain areas imo. I'm guessing he would have been on the Heather 'time to move on' list.

The only one's telling him to move on would have been the Chancellor or the BOT.

Reactions: bwh05
Man had a major impact on nearly every facet of Pitt. Helped pull the university out of one of its institutional low points in the mid-90s.

\
lKhFHeOK.jpg

Think this is a bit hyperbolic. He derived nearly 100% of his position, authority and power from the Chancellor. Was Nordenberg's bad cop, and he enjoyed the role. Was a law school classmate, so I knew him quite well. He was a very heavy smoker and enjoyed cocktails. He rode a Harley and hung out with former Supreme Court Justice, and COBT Ralph Cappy, [another bad boy, who is also deceased]. Not surprised at his passing, as he has been ill since he retired from Pitt. RIP Hail to Pitt!

I was very close to the process that created the Peterson Event Center, Heinz Field, PNC Park, the river walk and the new convention center.

I didn't view the process from a distance.

I stand by my original statement.

Reactions: vietvet1
I was very close to the process that created the Peterson Event Center, Heinz Field, PNC Park, the river walk and the new convention center.

I didn't view the process from a distance.

I stand by my original statement.

Nobody suggested he was not the guy at the table representing Pitt. However, if you think he was calling the shots or making an audible, you would be sorely mistaken. Mark never enjoyed controversy or getting his hands "dirty" and Jerry rather relished it. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: vietvet1
Nobody suggested he was not the guy at the table representing Pitt. However, if you think he was calling the shots or making an audible, you would be sorely mistaken. Mark never enjoyed controversy or getting his hands "dirty" and Jerry rather relished it. Hail to Pitt!

It seems that Nordenburg was influential and was influenced by Cochran and SP in making big decisions.

It seems that Nordenburg was influential and was influenced by Cochran and SP in making big decisions.

I think that is a fair observation. The inner circle was pretty tight, and it also included a couple BOT members. Hail to Pitt!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT