ADVERTISEMENT

R J Davis

Pittisit4me

Sophomore
Dec 11, 2019
Goes 0-9 from three and carolina goes down. Hard to believe after how he played all year, he could miss all 9 of his 3s.

That's the tough thing about the tournament. Hinson bad shooting last game. Now RJ. Great players never get a chance to redeem themselves. Tough

What a weird set of events.

Bacot turns into a Pitt big and cannot finish at the rim.
RJ Davis did his best Xavier Johnson impersonation of selfishness and hell bent I am going to try to score no matter what the defense is.
The Nelson kid channeled his inner Christian Laettner and had the half of all halves.
UNC was just some horrific bad decisions down the stretch

Oh and an aside......Davis and Bacot playing in seemingly their 5th or 6th seasons showed why they are not NBA players. Neither are athletic enough not have the size at their positions. Davis may hang on, but Bacot just is not really athletic at all.

Reactions: TreesHero

RJ Davis did his best Xavier Johnson impersonation of selfishness and hell bent I am going to try to score no matter what the defense is.
The Nelson kid channeled his inner Christian Laettner and had the half of all halves.

Oh and an aside......Davis and Bacot playing in seemingly their 5th or 6th seasons showed why they are not NBA players. Neither are athletic enough not have the size at their positions. Davis may hang on, but Bacot just is not really athletic at all.

That UNC team is so old and still cant go far. Cormac Ryan will be 26 in October. I mean do you know how old that is? He was in the same recruiting class as Zion Williamson.

Shocker. A yinzer that doesn't want Pitt to get more money from the NCAA tournament.
The fact that this yinzer is not an ACC cheerleader must offend you. Get over it. Let's see if you still wave those pom poms after the conference blows up.

Even worse was his decision making at the end of the game.
Blame a lot of that on Hubert. I think that last Davis dribble drive that got stuffed after the UNC timeout was Hubert's play call and Davis was instructed to get to the rim and draw contact without even consideration of kicking the ball out. That was dumb, and that was the ballgame.

Blame a lot of that on Hubert. I think that last Davis dribble drive that got stuffed after the UNC timeout was Hubert's play call and Davis was instructed to get to the rim and draw contact without even consideration of kicking the ball out. That was dumb, and that was the ballgame.
The entire game plan was dumb. They essentially played Alabama's game and lost because of it. For the life of me I can't understand why they let the game become a track meet.

The entire game plan was dumb. They essentially played Alabama's game and lost because of it. For the life of me I can't understand why they let the game become a track meet.
I don't know. Alabama led the nation at 90.7 ppg. UNC 81.9, 19th.
Isn't that essentially how they win their games too?
Yep. And a tall, skinny transfer from N Dakota of all places is the hero for Alabama. 🤷‍♂️

Bacot’s missed dunk late was a big play, too.
I've never seen a big man blow as many dunks as Bacot does.

Since Roy Williams first took over the program from Dean, that's what they do. Not a lot of defense, they just try to out-talent and outscore you. This team is like every other team they've taken into the tournament since the Roy days, just not with the overall talent level. They could probably have withstood RJ having an off night, but not a 4-20, 0-9 night. Very similar to Caleb Love a couple years ago taking 25 shots and making like 4-5 of them in a close loss in the title game. Hubert wants his big guns to keep misfiring with impunity even when they're missing. Questionable coaching for sure.

Goes 0-9 from three and carolina goes down. Hard to believe after how he played all year, he could miss all 9 of his 3s.
In crunch time he became a ball hog. Dribbled away the play clock in the key possession and ended up with nothing to show. Hey dude, use your teammates.

Reactions: Franb
I don't know. Alabama led the nation at 90.7 ppg. UNC 81.9, 19th.
Isn't that essentially how they win their games too?
Well, they lost. Probably because they played right into the #1 scoring team in the country's game by letting RJ Davis play run n gun. Not to mention a guy like Withers jacking an ill advised 3 in the middle of the shot clock when you're up by 1 with a minute left. Probably their worst play of the game.

Well, they lost. Probably because they played right into the #1 scoring team in the country's game by letting RJ Davis play run n gun. Not to mention a guy like Withers jacking an ill advised 3 in the middle of the shot clock when you're up by 1 with a minute left. Probably their worst play of the game.

Worst play of the season or seasons. 20% 3 point shooter has to be coached to know that isnt where he needs to take a quick 3.

I think UNC's D really let them down though. I understand that Bama can score but UNC is a good defensive team. UNC scored 54 points in the 1st Half and were only up 8.

Reactions: gary2

Bacot will make good playing overseas for 5-10 years.

He is not an NBA player unless he suddenly develops an outside game. NBA today is all about shooting the 3 Ball. Purdue's 7-4 guy is regarded as a 12 minute a game guy (6 minutes/half) as a sub when his team will play some traditional post styke vs positionless style in vogue.

Interestingly enough Pitt's G D-G may have an NBA future. An NBA scout I know says he fits the NBA style because he is a 6-11/7-0 guy who shoots the 3-ball decently to well. In that respect, Alabama's Nelson is very likely an NBA player because he has that skill plus can take it to the hoop.

In crunch time he became a ball hog. Dribbled away the play clock in the key possession and ended up with nothing to show. Hey dude, use your teammates.
I’m convinced that was at Hubert’s direction. RJ was gonna take that ball to the rim no matter what and that was the play. None of the other UNC players were looking for the pass, they were all cleared out.

That Withers shot was a WTF moment for sure.

His drives kept them in the game, but you can only go to the well so many times, unless

You are this guy:

UNC lost because RJ Davis tried to force his game when he was obviously having a bad day and because Nelson, who had 3 points in each of Bama's first games, went off in the second half. He played a dream game. It was fun to watch.

But I think in Capel’s case, it’s probably for lack of better options.

There are actually a lot of good coaches (some crummy ones, too) whose philosophy when their best shooters are having a bad night they should try to shoot their way out of it.

I mean when Steph Curry is 1-9 from three in the first half, you don't think Steve Kerr is in the dressing room at half time telling him to stop shooting threes and to pass the ball off to his teammates more, do you?

Will never understand Withers taking that 3.

There are actually a lot of good coaches (some crummy ones, too) whose philosophy when their best shooters are having a bad night they should try to shoot their way out of it.

I mean when Steph Curry is 1-9 from three in the first half, you don't think Steve Kerr is in the dressing room at half time telling him to stop shooting threes and to pass the ball off to his teammates more, do you?
I’m well aware of that. I’m also well aware that RJ Davis is not Steph Curry, and in a one and done elimination tournament, it’s probably not a great call to ride or die in the last minute or two of a tight game with a guy who is blanket defended and very obviously doesn’t have it on a particular night, when you have other guys who can make short. Like Cormac Ryan, who was standing by himself on the wing with his hands in his pockets watching RJ take the ball into 3 tell defenders in a futile and desperate effort.

Saw somewhere earlier today that Withers had already turned off comments on his Instagram page (is that the right lingo?).

I cannot remember a more ill-advised shot. I mean the guy is a reserve big who is only 4-20 on the season shooting 3's. Barstool says its the 2nd worst decision in NCAAT history behind Chris Webber and its hard to disagree. If there is one thing you cant do offensively on that possession, it's allow Withers to shoot a 3, especially a quick one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT